Campaign against Playstation Plus paywall

laugh.gif

OK, sorry for my hiatus but I've got some news:

For all the people saying "well at least there's no policies like Xbox, so Sony is doing better":

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596671

That's right. Microsoft did a complete 180 on their bad policies and now they don't have any of those stupid restrictions. 

So. NOW ARE YALL MAD AT SONY? All they did was remove something, and someone had the nerve to tell me I should be thanking Sony in this thread. The two systems are back to being neck and neck, so what's the purpose of getting a PS4 now? 

Oh it's $100 cheaper?

Oh I thought I was cheap...
This ain't the same type of situation.
m$ saw them ps4 preorder numbers and were like

iYLwgf5mlNF2S.gif

Don't buy a ps4 and encourage others to not buy ps4s.

That's the only way sony will take note of your "cause."

Last edited:
OK, sorry for my hiatus but I've got some news:

For all the people saying "well at least there's no policies like Xbox, so Sony is doing better":

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=596671

That's right. Microsoft did a complete 180 on their bad policies and now they don't have any of those stupid restrictions. 

So. NOW ARE YALL MAD AT SONY? All they did was remove something, and someone had the nerve to tell me I should be thanking Sony in this thread. The two systems are back to being neck and neck, so what's the purpose of getting a PS4 now

Oh it's $100 cheaper?

Oh I thought I was cheap...

the ps4 wont go red ring of death on you.

also because sony 1st party games > M$. if i wanted to play a FPS game id rather play it on PC and for FREE with dedicated servers.

Last edited:
I was hoping it remain free but oh well it was inevitable. Plenty of PS3 owners will still be playing online so I can live with that. I was thinking about buying a PS4 since my 1st gen PS3 crapped out, but I'll be fixing it instead. If I get the PS4 down the road, I'll just cancel my Costco membership. You have to give up one thing for another sometimes.
bahahaha poor as guy !

Zomg. Isn't that funny. He has a budget for his limited amount of resources and lives with in his means. What a lame.

:stoneface

Video gamers are notorious cheap-*****. You know what: game servers cost money, Maintaining a network costs money. Remember when PSN was down for like a month... Well that's what you get when you have a free network. I'd rather it be free too, but lets not pretend like $50 annually for a network that is up 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with minimal down-time is some kind of rip off, because its not. It's really good value.

Isn't Xbox live 50$/yr now? PS+ is now doing the same thing, console is cheaper, you can share games. Whats the problem?

This ish isn't even out yet, how are there so many complaints about something people never tried/seen/done/heard from others?

Let Sony cook

I'd rather it be free too, but lets not pretend like $50 annually for a network that is up 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with minimal down-time is some kind of rip off, because its not.
All you needed to say, been on Playstation Plus for awhile but if you missed when they gave out like 13 games in one month (at least 7 of em was rly good) they not puttin out enough games or quality games to warrant a membership. I would drop it if I could keep my games but it is wat it is. This seems like something set in stone tho, like they told publishers we gon charge em and if they change they mind we prolly would only get Sony games free online.

Here's a 7 year old bump.

It was amusing revisiting the replies to myself in this thread. People calling me cheap, suggesting that Sony would "improve" PSN, being adamant that PS+ would continue to be worth it.

I just want to know how you people feel seven years later, when Playstation did everything I said they would do (devalue PS+, not improve PSN, etc.). Hell, I suggested that these video game companies would continue taking a mile if we gave them an inch, and in the time I posted that, we got a multitude of anti-consumer practices, loot boxes being a prime example. I feel like if we had stood up to Sony and forced them to change their policy like we did to Microsoft in early 2013, more people would have recognized the power they have and not have to just "take it" or rationalize them getting ripped-off by saying stupid things like "it's only X amount of $ per day".

I still feel the same way as I did in 2013, and I say this as a pretty financially successful guy today. Paying for PSN did nothing but fatten the wallets of Sony executives. The games they offered for free became absolute shovelware (to be fair, there were a few decent free games, but they were usually years late and most games were indie garbage that nobody wanted) and we still had the random service issue. I really hate to say it, but I TOLD YOU SO. I know it doesn't mean much seven years later, but damn man, I was trying to spread awareness and I got clowned by trolls suggesting that I was being cheap... I guess I'm cheap for not wanted to gamble in my video games, but now y'all have to due to loot boxes. These kinds of things could have been prevented.

Anyway, I just felt like sharing my thoughts after re-reading through an old thread.

Reading my old post, I still feel the same. The older me probably would've softened my tone a bit to not come across so abrasive and dismissive of those advocating for free , but I still stand by what I wrote then. Networks cost money, as does cloud storage, and security.

There's a really good IGN article written by Colin from back in the day highlighting the fallout of the PSN outage caused by hackers and how it was pretty much the death knell for free online. TL; DR - Sony lost big $, consumer confidence was eroded and they had to answer to the Feds. They knew they had to take online security seriously which meant allocating resources to bolster their online service, which---spoiler alert---costs money.

Also, drawing a line from PS plus to loot boxes is misinformed at best, and disingenuous at worst. A console manufacturer charging for server access is not the same as, nor does it have anything to do with a publisher/developer charging for in game content. Outside the rather superficial aspect of them both costing money, they are vastly dissimilar and almost completely unrelated.

Reading my old post, I still feel the same. The older me probably would've softened my tone a bit to not come across so abrasive and dismissive of those advocating for free , but I still stand by what I wrote then. Networks cost money, as does cloud storage, and security.

The problem is that the existence of the PC negates this idea. How is it that you don't have to pay for any online service for those same games on PC? I'm not an idiot-- I'm aware that someone is footing the cost of a server. My issue was that it's CLEARLY not Sony or Microsoft, so why are we paying them? Everything people ragged on me for 7 years ago has not come to fruition: PSN hasn't gotten any better than it was on PS3 and the selection of "free" games clearly, clearly were worse than their offerings on PS3.

There really isn't anything to "stand by" here.

There's a really good IGN article written by Colin from back in the day highlighting the fallout of the PSN outage caused by hackers and how it was pretty much the death knell for free online. TL; DR - Sony lost big $, consumer confidence was eroded and they had to answer to the Feds. They knew they had to take online security seriously which meant allocating resources to bolster their online service, which---spoiler alert---costs money.

...and none of this happened. In fact, Sony has experienced major breaches throughout the PS4's lifetime with many users losing their personal information: https://www.scmp.com/tech/article/2...nys-playstation-network-and-stole-information

The above link was from just 2017... I mean, where are these data protection measures? Why isn't this happening on the PC (EDIT: I should say, why isn't this happening on a wide scale, the level of which we saw on PS3)? Based on all available evidence, charging for online play was a cash grab by Sony. If you can't see that after 7 years, then I'd just have to conclude that you might be a touch stubborn.

Also, drawing a line from PS plus to loot boxes is misinformed at best, and disingenuous at worst

No-- it's illustrating a point. In case you didn't understand my point, it was this: giving these companies an inch results in them taking a mile. We allowed DLC to take over the gaming industry and we are reaping the "rewards". The comparison I was drawing was that if we allow them to monetize online play, something that remains free on PC, we are on a slippery slope, the same slope that caused the saturation of DLC. Who knows what else they will demand payment for? We're so willing to give it to them for things that used to be free, right? Admonishing others for attempting to stand up to these companies means they will get to continue pushing this games as a service envelope until we get to a point where you're paying $60 for one level in a game and $10 for each additional level.

Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? So did paying for online play back in 2013.

Damn that was seven year ago. Way too long to hold a grudge .

I'm not holding a grudge, just talking about something in hindsight. One of my fans found my old NikeTalk account and pointed me to this thread. I'd forgotten all about it to be honest...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom