Can anyone here say they got rich off going to college?

Hard work will take you further than any degree.

With that being said, i never said having a degree is a bad thing. But if you can get the degree it should be done with hard work, staying up night and day studying. This goes to the degrees that actually matter, aint no one gunna hire someone with a "sports management" degree and pay them $100,000+ unless you got connections and can get you in the higher ups in the NBA/NFL/MLB etc. College has a bad perception that if you go there for 4 years, get a degree, you can walk out with a job. Thats not the case anymore from 2011 til now. Hard work. Thats all it is, if you work hard your current boss will see and promote you. If you like working by yourself, self-employed. Work your a** off and make a business/invent something/g out adventure/make your own connections etc. There is so much you can do in 4 years creating your own future, rather than going to college and letting the degree make your future. Yes, depending on which college/university, you can make alot of connections. But alot of people go to CC and expect to get a 6 figure job waiting for them. I mean dont get me wrong , there are people like that, but just not for everyone single person coming out of college.

A degree might not make me rich, but it will give me the qualifications to do what I want to do in a field that I want to.

Without the degree, I wouldn't be able to work in said field

When I was in highschool I had no aspirations as to what I was going to do with my life career wise. I spent most of my time fish, hunting, and hiking. Not exactly career building activities :lol:
I didn't want to go to college just because that's what you're supposed to do, and end up with a wheel of fortune degree and 40k in debt. Instead I bought myself some time and joined the Army as radio repair. This did two things. First it gave me more time to think about what I wanted to do and who I wanted to be, and second it gave me the GI Bill. The choice for radio repair was fairly random but it paid off since it ended up I really enjoy working with electronics.
After about 3 hours into my first deployment (seriously it was probably a few weeks in) I knew I wasn't going to do the military as a career, and decided that once my active duty came to an end I would go to college to get a degree in electrical engineering.
I got out and went to Oregon State. Grinded out every miserable minute of college. I don't do well in classrooms and with that much homework. I drank more than I care to admit alone while working on homework just to keep myself going, but I was able to get myself through it and got that stupid piece of paper.
Now I do pretty much the same job I did in the Army but three times the pay. Am I rich? Not by a long shot, but I am a hell of a lot better off :smokin

My degree didnt make me rich...

but it literally put me in a comfortable position where i love what i do and im never overworked

i did not put in 4 years of hard work and partying for nothing :smh:

Last edited:

Tell that to my friend back in NY w/ a Master's who's "over qualified" for damn near every entry level job that she applies for.

second guy I told you about has a younger step brother who is 17 and is bringing home 200 a year basically running his fathers company.
And this is why education is borderline useless. Wish I realized this before wasting 145 stacks that I dont have to graduate with Master's in "one of the highest ranked accounting schools in the nation".

Now even after I get a real job I still have to live with my aunt and uncle to clear my debt before I can even start my life.
mean.gif
my brother got his accounting degree in January and got a job by May.  Try harder

also, the FBI and Secret Service always hires accountants

Last edited:
I had a job before I graduated. I started applying in December, got my first call in March, and first and only interview in March because I was confirmed for the job in April. It was one of the jobs I really wanted to so that was a big bonus!

Hard work will take you further than any degree.

With that being said, i never said having a degree is a bad thing. But if you can get the degree it should be done with hard work, staying up night and day studying. This goes to the degrees that actually matter, aint no one gunna hire someone with a "sports management" degree and pay them $100,000+ unless you got connections and can get you in the higher ups in the NBA/NFL/MLB etc. College has a bad perception that if you go there for 4 years, get a degree, you can walk out with a job. Thats not the case anymore from 2011 til now. Hard work. Thats all it is, if you work hard your current boss will see and promote you. If you like working by yourself, self-employed. Work your a** off and make a business/invent something/g out adventure/make your own connections etc. There is so much you can do in 4 years creating your own future, rather than going to college and letting the degree make your future. Yes, depending on which college/university, you can make alot of connections. But alot of people go to CC and expect to get a 6 figure job waiting for them. I mean dont get me wrong , there are people like that, but just not for everyone single person coming out of college.

I rock with a few of your points but I have to disagree with the bolded above.

In my personal experience hard work just doesn't cut it anymore. There are too many factors which lead to advancement in a company. Many of which the employees themselves have no control of depending on role they play in the company. You can be the IT grunt and work your *** off for years and get no promotion while the sales guy who works maybe 2-3 hours a day is getting raises left and right. It all depends on your intangibles and what you bring to the table.

Ninja has said it best regarding our current generation. While I am optimistic for my own future, the student loan crisis is kinda buggin me out. I just wanna pay my small debt off and be out.

What do you do?

I'm an Associate in one of the top 2 largest Private Equity firms globally. I'm based in NYC.

I'm the first to say that my degree didn't get me to this position, but it was my drive and motivation that got me to where I am today. My degree sort of just "credentialized" my profile.

Last edited:
:rolleyes I'm pretty sure everyone that has been admitted to Harvard has a significantly higher IQ than the average person.

Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg both went to Harvard and dropped out because they had great ideas and applied themselves based on their intelligence and resources/individuals they met while in school. They are both the 1 in the million type. Everyone here on NT that uses the Bill Gates argument to not go to college thinks that they will be the exception. Unfortunately, more than likely you are not.

You don't have to go to college to be successful, but trying to convince someone they shouldn't is terrible.
I have an uncle(dad's friend) from Nigeria who donates a significant amount of money to school. He makes a lot of money as a Nigerian corrupt official. Basically he oversees the development of Nigerian housing and road projects. He also happens to own the company that gets contracted every time :wink: . Trust me his kids are getting in.

That was his way of sending them to America. Sending em to college and once they got the job here they are out of that ****** up country

my brother got his accounting degree in January and got a job by May.  Try harder

also, the FBI and Secret Service always hires accountants

Good for him? What would the secret service need accountants for? Also I am pretty sure you need to be an American and denounce your other citizenships to get a job at either one of those. (I will not denounce any other citizenships)

I have only been out of school for 5 months INCLUDING the six weeks of vacation time I spent in england not looking for a job. I am sure once I pass this CPA exam getting a job will be a walk in the park compared to how much time most other employees spend looking

But most of all since when were entry level accountants rich?

Last edited:
Did you have an internship while in college? Those are basically considered entry level jobs now. Companies aren't looking into hiring people with no related work experience.

False.

I will make 200k+ my first year out of my MBA and the only related work experience is a 9 week internship at a different company, where they didn't give me a full-time offer.

Firms want people who will do the best... sometimes that comes from the fresh thinking of people who have not been "trained wrong."

False.

I will make 200k+ my first year out of my MBA and the only related work experience is a 9 week internship at a different company, where they didn't give me a full-time offer.

Firms want people who will do the best... sometimes that comes from the fresh thinking of people who have not been "trained wrong."

Out of an MBA? Are you printing money?

Last edited:
Can someone explain what the motivation is for people to become accounting majors? Shouldn't you just be a finance major and try to get a much better job? If you're already intending to be a pro at financial accounting, why not learn the market/company analysis aspect of it and try to enter a much more lucrative career path?

Can someone explain what the motivation is for people to become accounting majors? Shouldn't you just be a finance major and try to get a much better job? If you're already intending to be a pro at financial accounting, why not learn the market/company analysis aspect of it and try to enter a much more lucrative career path?

Another regret of mine. I didnt have this kind of advice. I will get my CFA sooner or later so it won't matter. I even asked which major I should choose

"you can get any finance job with an accounting degree"- EVERYONE at my stupid school

Okay, I guess I will be an accounting major.

Hopefully I can get a job at a company that does investment accounting so I can study for the CFA and become a financial analyst as part of my exit strategy

Last edited:

Another regret of mine. I didnt have this kind of advice. I will get my CFA sooner or later so it won't matter. I even asked which major I should choose

"you can get any finance job with an accounting degree"- EVERYONE at my stupid school

Okay, I guess I will be an accounting major.
if you can get any finance job with an accounting degree...what kind of finance job can you get with a finance degree?

Nice try. If I can get any finance job with an accounting degree why not get the degree with the most doors to open?

Besides there are PLENTY of finance jobs/firms where a lot of people started in accounting

Out of an MBA? Are you printing money?

Direct Deposit.

Whatever you do, do it well.

If you work at McDonald's, be the best service person, be the best grill person, or be the best manager.

I never had the plan to go to b-school, but I did the best I could in undergrad (while still having a life) and it paid off when I was applying.

If you are going to take an admissions test, do as well as you can.

Get into a good school and then network.

CEO of Pepsi-Co called me before I even accepted my offer of admission, telling me she was excited I was considering the school and if I had any questions to not hesitate to call her.

Cray.

Nice try. If I can get any finance job with an accounting degree why not get the degree with the most doors to open?

Besides there are PLENTY of finance jobs/firms where a lot of people started in accounting
well obviously it hasn't opened all those doors for you.... 
laugh.gif

go apply at a bank as a staff accountant.

Apply for the secret service (they handle all credit fraud cases in the US, thus needing accounting and finance majors)

Apply for the FBI (white collar crime)

Last edited:
Because I am the only one ever who graduated without a job it won't ever open doors for me. Okay.

I already said I will not denounce my british citizenship to work for the government. Having two citizenships mean you can possibly prefer the other country and give up secrets. That's what I read somewhere at least can't remember where. It has been years.

What major?
 Criminal Justice BS from Bridgewater State University

Did you have an internship while in college? Those are basically considered entry level jobs now. Companies aren't looking into hiring people with no related work experience.
I didn't have an internship but I have 4+ years of experience working with juvenile offenders committed to the state. A BS + that experience should be plenty for an entry level probation job. I know plenty of damn near developmentally delayed people working for the state making much more than that. I'm talking people that can't construct a proper sentence yet their job revolves around filing reports.
My degree didnt make me rich...

but it literally put me in a comfortable position where i love what i do and im never overworked

i did not put in 4 years of hard work and partying for nothing
mean.gif
This is ALL I need. I just want to be in a comfortable position where I can knock off all my bills but still have time to better myself. I'm spending all my time just to get by.

False.

CMBWHODI is legit. Dude is an associate for one the most active middle-market investment banks in the country. $200k (including bonuses) sounds about right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom