Can LeBron be an effective scorer once he ages?

Originally Posted by Al3xis

and he'll be cementing his place this spring and summer as the best player in the world

what does it really matter what he has or doesn't have?

He's got enough.
What has he really added in his 6 years thus far offensively. He still relies 80%+ on his athleticism.
no words for this. not even getting into it. too outlandish.

Continue..

? What percentage would be more accurate? He doesn't have a consistent midrange game or any real post game to speak of He's still astreaky 3 point shooter. Most of his offense now still consists of driving to the hoop using his superior size, strength, and speed to score (aka athleticism).I've watched a lot of Bron this year and I don't see the progression like I have of D-Wade who had no midrange or 3 point game to speak of at all, butnow is a deadly midrange shooter and is working on his outside game as well. Melo was a decent shooter coming in, but is now pretty much automatic frommidrange and is unguardable in the post. That's all I'm saying. These 3 players came into the league all at the same time, but LeBron has seemed toprogress slower as far as being able to score from anywhere on the floor.

• Haha
Reactions: HIM
Funny coming from a Lakers fan.

Bron hasn't progressed his game?

If you want to talk numbers, peep Kobe's stats the year before he won the MVP. And then you compare that to last year. Same stats, so what gives?

Current Bron's game has evolved from rookie Bron's game, no doubt.

Scoring does not equal an offensive game.
Read the question. CAN LEBRON BE AN EFFECTIVE SCORER ONCE HE AGES? Where he implies that if and when his athleticism goes will he still be able toscore in other ways.

I didn't say his game hasn't progressed at all, I said compared to Wade and Melo who have been in the league the same amount of time he hasn'tadded or mastered as many ways to score as they have, sheesh.

laugh.gif

Mamba MVP

read what you wrote
laugh.gif

What has he really added in his 6 years thus far offensively. He still relies 80%+ on his athleticism.

Is that false, does not the vast majority of his scoring come from him driving and overpowering using his size and strength in the lane. Ihaven't watched all 82 games, but every time he's on nat'l TV that's what I see. Whatever, I won't post anything else cause because I havea Laker sig and Kobe screename, I automatically look like a ****** or something so...

Anyway here's something from 82games.com on shot distribution where the majority of people's points come from:
[table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[size=-1]3pt Shots[/size]
[/td] [td]
[size=-1]2pt Jump Shots[/size]
[/td] [td]
[size=-1]Inside Shots[/size]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][size=-1] Team[/size][/td] [td][size=-1] Player[/size][/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td][size=-1]CLE[/size][/td] [td][size=-1] James[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]23%[/size][/td] [td][size=-1].344[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]42%[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]0%[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]4.9[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]40%[/size][/td] [td][size=-1].375[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]21%[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]2%[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]6.0[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]35%[/size][/td] [td][size=-1].717[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]37%[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]7%[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]10.2[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]128[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]97[/size][/td] [td][size=-1]19%[/size][/td] [/tr][/table]

I always laugh when this topic comes up. Do you guys realize that when MJ was 24 years old, the highest 3P% he ever had in a season was 18%? That was hisHIGHEST. MJ was FAR from a complete offensive player at 24. He relied heavily on his athleticism and ability to get to the basket just like Bron does now.I'll be absolutely shocked if Bron doesn't develop a midrange game and post game and more consistent outside shooting by the time he starts to lose hisathleticism. He's gonna be fine.

Reactions: HIM
People forget that LeBron was a horrible jump shooter when he was a rookie. Now he is average shooter on most nights and when he is on, he is a very goodshooter. If he can get two or three good back to the basket moves and keep working on his mid range jumper, he will be unstoppable well into his 30's.

Other greats have changed their games as they get older, Magic, Kobe and MJ all added new things as they got older. I expect LeBron will do the same.

if he develops the rest of his game he'll be fine.. as long as he puts in the work he did like on the olympic team...

^Exactly my thoughts...he just has to continue to put the work in and he'll be money......

Lebron will definitely improve, but he won't be as effective a scorer once his athleticism is gone. He'll have to change his jumpshot mechanics if hewants to become a better jumpshooter, and I think you guys don't understand how difficult it is to change your mechanics/form after you've beenshooting the same way for numerous years. Tell Bron to keep that elbow straight.

^You can't be serious if you think one game constitutes that Lebron's jumper is strong. My friends jumpshot looks like a mix between Ronny Brewer'sand Shawn Marion's, but he hit 8 or 9 three pointers in a row in one of our pickup games.

its not the mechanics, its repetition. You dont need to have the perfect form to be a shooter, its consistency... and hes starting to show it. I think he wontbe able to take it to the lane as easily, but he will find a way to score. Either way, the strength in his game is his passing and vision which dont reallyfade out with age.

LeBron will easily play 10 years. His jumper is improving, and why wouldnt he still heavily rely on athleticism since he has it.
Its not like Bron will be barely jogging in 10 years, his athleticism will be there for a while

LeBron has already made HUGE strides as a shooter this year compared to his rookie/soph years. If he can keep improving as he has, which he should, I see noreason why not. All the great ones do. That's why some people forget that Jordan's FG% tailed off towards the end of his career, his last five years inChi he was sub-.500 FG%, because he wasn't getting into the lane with ease anymore.

Anyways, LBJ should be fine.

Originally Posted by JD617

I always laugh when this topic comes up. Do you guys realize that when MJ was 24 years old, the highest 3P% he ever had in a season was 18%? That was his HIGHEST. MJ was FAR from a complete offensive player at 24. He relied heavily on his athleticism and ability to get to the basket just like Bron does now. I'll be absolutely shocked if Bron doesn't develop a midrange game and post game and more consistent outside shooting by the time he starts to lose his athleticism. He's gonna be fine.

You are missing one very important aspect about this point you are trying to make, which IMO completely invalidates it. When MJ was 24, he was in his 3rdprofessional season. LeBron is 24, and is in his 6th professional season.

In his 6th season, Michael Jordan's 3pt% improved 20% since his rookie year. In his 6th season, Lebron James' 3pt% improved 5% since his rookie year.

Originally Posted by dland24

I always laugh when this topic comes up. Do you guys realize that when MJ was 24 years old, the highest 3P% he ever had in a season was 18%? That was his HIGHEST. MJ was FAR from a complete offensive player at 24. He relied heavily on his athleticism and ability to get to the basket just like Bron does now. I'll be absolutely shocked if Bron doesn't develop a midrange game and post game and more consistent outside shooting by the time he starts to lose his athleticism. He's gonna be fine.

You are missing one very important aspect about this point you are trying to make, which IMO completely invalidates it. When MJ was 24, he was in his 3rd professional season. LeBron is 24, and is in his 6th professional season.

In his 6th season, Michael Jordan's 3pt% improved 20% since his rookie year. In his 6th season, Lebron James' 3pt% improved 5% since his rookie year.
not necessarily... athleticism usually fades with age, not years in the NBA. The point is at the age of 24, both (and most athletes) highly relyon athletic abilities rather than fundamentals.

Originally Posted by dland24

You are missing one very important aspect about this point you are trying to make, which IMO completely invalidates it. When MJ was 24, he was in his 3rd professional season. LeBron is 24, and is in his 6th professional season.

that's b/c mj was a bad 3pt shooter to begin with.
lbj was below avg, but he knew how to shoot 3s when he came in the league...
mj's 3pt ability was as bad as wade's as rookie.

i think it'll stay the same as it is now. he is too strong to be able to get a good consistent shot like jordans or kobes

Back
Top Bottom