Can LeBron be an effective scorer once he ages?

Originally Posted by bigtimejerky

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by JD617

I always laugh when this topic comes up. Do you guys realize that when MJ was 24 years old, the highest 3P% he ever had in a season was 18%? That was his HIGHEST. MJ was FAR from a complete offensive player at 24. He relied heavily on his athleticism and ability to get to the basket just like Bron does now. I'll be absolutely shocked if Bron doesn't develop a midrange game and post game and more consistent outside shooting by the time he starts to lose his athleticism. He's gonna be fine.

You are missing one very important aspect about this point you are trying to make, which IMO completely invalidates it. When MJ was 24, he was in his 3rd professional season. LeBron is 24, and is in his 6th professional season.

In his 6th season, Michael Jordan's 3pt% improved 20% since his rookie year. In his 6th season, Lebron James' 3pt% improved 5% since his rookie year.
not necessarily... athleticism usually fades with age, not years in the NBA. The point is at the age of 24, both (and most athletes) highly rely on athletic abilities rather than fundamentals.

You completely missed the point. The point I was making has more to do with the lack of LeBrons growth. In THREE seasons, Jordan raised his 3 point percentage20%. IN SIX seasons, LeBron raised his 3 point percentage 5%. My argument has nothing to do with athleticism. I know its not fading anytime soon. But whensomeone says LeBron is only 24. He has time to improve. Well, yes, sure he has time to develop a shot. But why would you assume he will? He really hasntimproved in that area in 6 seasons, so why would you assume he is ever going to make significant strides? And THIS is why I think the MJ comparison isRIDICULOUS. Jordan improved dramatically in 3 years and LeBron hasnt improved much at all in 6......so why the comparison?

Are dudes even watching the NBA these days or just looking at box scores?
laugh.gif

How can you question his improvement and then you back it up with the "has his stats changed?" argument?! LOL.

Anyone who's watched Cavs games through the past 6 years, it's easy to see this guy has worked on his offensive game a lot. To think that he'lljust stop working on it is just absurd
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Every great player added different facets to their game as they grew older...I don't see why Lebron will be any different.

And please don't bring up his shooting form in this argument. That even makes it more laughable. Reggie Miller, Peja, Dirk, etc. they all had perfect form,no?
laugh.gif

Low post is where Bron Bron will improve.... he will still be stronger, if not faster, than most of his opponents....

Hell if he had that portion of his game along with pushing that FT % to 80.... unstoppable... yes.

Originally Posted by bigtimejerky

Originally Posted by JD617

I always laugh when this topic comes up. Do you guys realize that when MJ was 24 years old, the highest 3P% he ever had in a season was 18%? That was his HIGHEST. MJ was FAR from a complete offensive player at 24. He relied heavily on his athleticism and ability to get to the basket just like Bron does now. I'll be absolutely shocked if Bron doesn't develop a midrange game and post game and more consistent outside shooting by the time he starts to lose his athleticism. He's gonna be fine.

You are missing one very important aspect about this point you are trying to make, which IMO completely invalidates it. When MJ was 24, he was in his 3rd professional season. LeBron is 24, and is in his 6th professional season.

In his 6th season, Michael Jordan's 3pt% improved 20% since his rookie year. In his 6th season, Lebron James' 3pt% improved 5% since his rookie year.
not necessarily... athleticism usually fades with age, not years in the NBA. The point is at the age of 24, both (and most athletes) highly rely on athletic abilities rather than fundamentals.

You completely missed the point. The point I was making has more to do with the lack of LeBrons growth. In THREE seasons, Jordan raised his 3 point percentage 20%. IN SIX seasons, LeBron raised his 3 point percentage 5%. My argument has nothing to do with athleticism. I know its not fading anytime soon. But when someone says LeBron is only 24. He has time to improve. Well, yes, sure he has time to develop a shot. But why would you assume he will? He really hasnt improved in that area in 6 seasons, so why would you assume he is ever going to make significant strides? And THIS is why I think the MJ comparison is RIDICULOUS. Jordan improved dramatically in 3 years and LeBron hasnt improved much at all in 6......so why the comparison?
jordan was almost 30 by his 6th season.... id expect him to work off his shot more than his athleticism. Plus MJ was a huge ballhog compared toBron.... more shots leads to more opportunities to make the. Theres no comparison between the two except that both werent exceptional shooters at the age of 24as are a lot of NBA athletes. Not saying LBJ will become the shooter MJ was, but Jordan was used just to show how one CAN improve.

he will probably gain more weight as he ages too which will limit him
thus turning him into darvin ham by age 30

Originally Posted by mogzz04

laugh.gif

How can you question his improvement and then you back it up with the "has his stats changed?" argument?! LOL.

Anyone who's watched Cavs games through the past 6 years, it's easy to see this guy has worked on his offensive game a lot. To think that he'll just stop working on it is just absurd
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Every great player added different facets to their game as they grew older...I don't see why Lebron will be any different.

And please don't bring up his shooting form in this argument. That even makes it more laughable. Reggie Miller, Peja, Dirk, etc. they all had perfect form, no?
laugh.gif

none of those players jumpshot had their elbow at such an angle outward like Lebron's With his elbow out like that it means his shooting hand goes acrossthe rim leaving much less room for error. Less chance for the ball to go straight to the basket

yall are bugging if you think Lebron is going to develop that midrange anything close to Jordan or Kobe. He will develop it though and he will still be good,but Jordan and Kobe level is ridiculous to think he'll get there

umm, i see him taking more jumpers year by year so he understands the importance of it. he's taking 5 3s a game so he's slowly making his game moreperimeter to save his body for the wear and tear that will come as he goes through his career.

and his jumper IS getting better. his range IS getting farther. kobe wasn't really a great shooter until he was 5 years into the L, although he was abetter shooter than lebron from the start.

and i don't see his athletic ability declining anytime soon, unlike for most. dude works hard, and he's a genetic freak. when he gets older, i'msure his post game is more refined and by then, he's still bigger and faster than most at his position.

don't worry, dude will have a long dominant career till like 32-33, then play PG on a very good team until he retires at the age of 35-37.

Originally Posted by mogzz04

laugh.gif

Anyone who's watched Cavs games through the past 6 years, it's easy to see this guy has worked on his offensive game a lot. To think that he'll just stop working on it is just absurd
smh.gif
laugh.gif

And please don't bring up his shooting form in this argument. That even makes it more laughable. Reggie Miller, Peja, Dirk, etc. they all had perfect form, no?
laugh.gif
exactly. if u watch lebron play, u know his game has improved. hell, he has busted out those hook shots
roll.gif

Originally Posted by RUDOLPH1996

Low post is where Bron Bron will improve.... he will still be stronger, if not faster, than most of his opponents....

Hell if he had that portion of his game along with pushing that FT % to 80.... unstoppable... yes.

bron the other day..

"Sometimes being in the post gets boring. I know it can be easy, but it gets boring down there. I like being on the perimeter shaking and baking it, getting to the cup. It gets boring down there in the post sometimes. That's why sometimes I don't go down there, but every now and then, you'll see me down there.''

the funniest thing about this whole discussion is yall are ripping him for lacking this and lacking that, and 'not improving in 6 years'

yet he's the most dominant player in the game. bar none.

he's 24, i wouldn't worry about his athleticism falling off for a good 5 years or so. And he's the most athletically gifted perimeter player EVER,so even if his athleticism does fall off a bit when he gets older, he'd still probably be more athletic than 95% of the league.
laugh.gif

lebron will be fine.

Originally Posted by nyk buc

umm, i see him taking more jumpers year by year so he understands the importance of it. he's taking 5 3s a game so he's slowly making his game more perimeter to save his body for the wear and tear that will come as he goes through his career.

and his jumper IS getting better. his range IS getting farther. kobe wasn't really a great shooter until he was 5 years into the L, although he was a better shooter than lebron from the start.

and i don't see his athletic ability declining anytime soon, unlike for most. dude works hard, and he's a genetic freak. when he gets older, i'm sure his post game is more refined and by then, he's still bigger and faster than most at his position.

don't worry, dude will have a long dominant career till like 32-33, then play PG on a very good team until he retires at the age of 35-37.

Kobe already had a legendary jumper by age 24...that was during his 9 game 40 point streak
lebron is not even close
grin.gif

umm, i see him taking more jumpers year by year so he understands the importance of it. he's taking 5 3s a game so he's slowly making his game more perimeter to save his body for the wear and tear that will come as he goes through his career.

and his jumper IS getting better. his range IS getting farther. kobe wasn't really a great shooter until he was 5 years into the L, although he was a better shooter than lebron from the start.

and i don't see his athletic ability declining anytime soon, unlike for most. dude works hard, and he's a genetic freak. when he gets older, i'm sure his post game is more refined and by then, he's still bigger and faster than most at his position.

laugh.gif

revisionist history ftl

Originally Posted by knightngale

Kobe already had a legendary jumper by age 24...that was during his 9 game 40 point streak
lebron is not even close
grin.gif

roll.gif

U act like Kobe shot ALL JUMPERS during that streak???? %#%%+. Kobe was not carrying his team his first 5 years in the league andcould polish his
game

Fact is Bron is some 50lbs bigger than Kobe... and is not a guard.
He had improved and will continue to improve.

for the stat folks...

[table][tr][td]03-04[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]79[/td] [td]3122[/td] [td]622-1492[/td] [td].417[/td] [td]63-217[/td] [td].290[/td] [td]347-460[/td] [td].754[/td] [td]130[/td] [td]58[/td] [td]273[/td] [td]99[/td] [td]333[/td] [td]432[/td] [td]465[/td] [td]1654[/td] [/tr][tr][td]04-05[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]80[/td] [td]3388[/td] [td]795-1684[/td] [td].472[/td] [td]108-308[/td] [td].351[/td] [td]477-636[/td] [td].750[/td] [td]177[/td] [td]52[/td] [td]262[/td] [td]111[/td] [td]477[/td] [td]588[/td] [td]577[/td] [td]2175[/td] [/tr][tr][td]05-06[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]79[/td] [td]3361[/td] [td]875-1823[/td] [td].480[/td] [td]127-379[/td] [td].335[/td] [td]601-814[/td] [td].738[/td] [td]123[/td] [td]66[/td] [td]260[/td] [td]75[/td] [td]481[/td] [td]556[/td] [td]521[/td] [td]2478[/td] [/tr][tr][td]06-07[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]78[/td] [td]3190[/td] [td]772-1621[/td] [td].476[/td] [td]99-310[/td] [td].319[/td] [td]489-701[/td] [td].698[/td] [td]125[/td] [td]55[/td] [td]250[/td] [td]83[/td] [td]443[/td] [td]526[/td] [td]470[/td] [td]2132[/td] [/tr][tr][td]07-08[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]75[/td] [td]3027[/td] [td]794-1642[/td] [td].484[/td] [td]113-359[/td] [td].315[/td] [td]549-771[/td] [td].712[/td] [td]138[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]255[/td] [td]133[/td] [td]459[/td] [td]592[/td] [td]539[/td] [td]2250[/td] [/tr][tr][td]08-09[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]3054[/td] [td]789-1613[/td] [td].489[/td] [td]132-384[/td] [td].344[/td] [td]594-762[/td] [td].780[/td] [td]137[/td] [td]93[/td] [td]241[/td] [td]106[/td] [td]507[/td] [td]613[/td] [td]587[/td] [td]2304[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td] [/td] [td]G[/td] [td]MIN[/td] [td]FG[/td] [td]FG%[/td] [td]3P[/td] [td]3P%[/td] [td]FT[/td] [td]FT%[/td] [td]STL[/td] [td]BLK[/td] [td]TO[/td] [td]OFF[/td] [td]DEF[/td] [td]TOT[/td] [td]AST[/td] [td]PTS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Totals[/td] [td] [/td] [td]472[/td] [td]19142[/td] [td]4647-9875[/td] [td].471[/td] [td]642-1957[/td] [td].328[/td] [td]3057-4144[/td] [td].738[/td] [td]830[/td] [td]405[/td] [td]1541[/td] [td]607[/td] [td]2700[/td] [td]3307[/td] [td]3159[/td] [td]12993[/td] [/tr][/table]

^ The highted areas shows that his game is improving.... and will get better//

He needs a post up game to expand his game further,and to use that big frame of his. Also to take the wear and tear off of his body as he gets older.

enrique23 wrote:
i think it'll stay the same as it is now. he is too strong to be able to get a good consistent shot like jordans or kobes

Karl Malone had a jumpshot and he was ripped.

lebron is not even close
grin.gif

roll.gif

U act like Kobe shot ALL JUMPERS during that streak???? %#%%+. Kobe was not carrying his team his first 5 years in the league and could polish his
game

for the stat folks...

[table][tr][td]03-04[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]79[/td] [td]3122[/td] [td]622-1492[/td] [td].417[/td] [td]63-217[/td] [td].290[/td] [td]347-460[/td] [td].754[/td] [td]130[/td] [td]58[/td] [td]273[/td] [td]99[/td] [td]333[/td] [td]432[/td] [td]465[/td] [td]1654[/td] [/tr][tr][td]04-05[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]80[/td] [td]3388[/td] [td]795-1684[/td] [td].472[/td] [td]108-308[/td] [td].351[/td] [td]477-636[/td] [td].750[/td] [td]177[/td] [td]52[/td] [td]262[/td] [td]111[/td] [td]477[/td] [td]588[/td] [td]577[/td] [td]2175[/td] [/tr][tr][td]05-06[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]79[/td] [td]3361[/td] [td]875-1823[/td] [td].480[/td] [td]127-379[/td] [td].335[/td] [td]601-814[/td] [td].738[/td] [td]123[/td] [td]66[/td] [td]260[/td] [td]75[/td] [td]481[/td] [td]556[/td] [td]521[/td] [td]2478[/td] [/tr][tr][td]06-07[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]78[/td] [td]3190[/td] [td]772-1621[/td] [td].476[/td] [td]99-310[/td] [td].319[/td] [td]489-701[/td] [td].698[/td] [td]125[/td] [td]55[/td] [td]250[/td] [td]83[/td] [td]443[/td] [td]526[/td] [td]470[/td] [td]2132[/td] [/tr][tr][td]07-08[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]75[/td] [td]3027[/td] [td]794-1642[/td] [td].484[/td] [td]113-359[/td] [td].315[/td] [td]549-771[/td] [td].712[/td] [td]138[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]255[/td] [td]133[/td] [td]459[/td] [td]592[/td] [td]539[/td] [td]2250[/td] [/tr][tr][td]08-09[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]3054[/td] [td]789-1613[/td] [td].489[/td] [td]132-384[/td] [td].344[/td] [td]594-762[/td] [td].780[/td] [td]137[/td] [td]93[/td] [td]241[/td] [td]106[/td] [td]507[/td] [td]613[/td] [td]587[/td] [td]2304[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [td]G[/td] [td]MIN[/td] [td]FG[/td] [td]FG%[/td] [td]3P[/td] [td]3P%[/td] [td]FT[/td] [td]FT%[/td] [td]STL[/td] [td]BLK[/td] [td]TO[/td] [td]OFF[/td] [td]DEF[/td] [td]TOT[/td] [td]AST[/td] [td]PTS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Totals[/td] [td][/td] [td]472[/td] [td]19142[/td] [td]4647-9875[/td] [td].471[/td] [td]642-1957[/td] [td].328[/td] [td]3057-4144[/td] [td].738[/td] [td]830[/td] [td]405[/td] [td]1541[/td] [td]607[/td] [td]2700[/td] [td]3307[/td] [td]3159[/td] [td]12993[/td] [/tr][/table]

You completely ignored the ONE area that is relevant to why this question was asked. His jumpshot particularly his 3 point shot. People keepbringing up MJ and Kobe but the fact is they IMPROVED as their careers progressed. Instead of improving...he's getting worse and he's taking more andmore 3's. That doesn't equal more points. When the athleticism fades this coupled with the fact that he doesn't have a post game is going to meanhis scoring numbers will plummet. He needs to focus on developing a very solid post/midrange game and stop shooting 3's.

Originally Posted by JsindaA

lebron is not even close
grin.gif

roll.gif

U act like Kobe shot ALL JUMPERS during that streak???? %#%%+. Kobe was not carrying his team his first 5 years in the league and could polish his
game

for the stat folks...

[table][tr][td]03-04[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]79[/td] [td]3122[/td] [td]622-1492[/td] [td].417[/td] [td]63-217[/td] [td].290[/td] [td]347-460[/td] [td].754[/td] [td]130[/td] [td]58[/td] [td]273[/td] [td]99[/td] [td]333[/td] [td]432[/td] [td]465[/td] [td]1654[/td] [/tr][tr][td]04-05[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]80[/td] [td]3388[/td] [td]795-1684[/td] [td].472[/td] [td]108-308[/td] [td].351[/td] [td]477-636[/td] [td].750[/td] [td]177[/td] [td]52[/td] [td]262[/td] [td]111[/td] [td]477[/td] [td]588[/td] [td]577[/td] [td]2175[/td] [/tr][tr][td]05-06[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]79[/td] [td]3361[/td] [td]875-1823[/td] [td].480[/td] [td]127-379[/td] [td].335[/td] [td]601-814[/td] [td].738[/td] [td]123[/td] [td]66[/td] [td]260[/td] [td]75[/td] [td]481[/td] [td]556[/td] [td]521[/td] [td]2478[/td] [/tr][tr][td]06-07[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]78[/td] [td]3190[/td] [td]772-1621[/td] [td].476[/td] [td]99-310[/td] [td].319[/td] [td]489-701[/td] [td].698[/td] [td]125[/td] [td]55[/td] [td]250[/td] [td]83[/td] [td]443[/td] [td]526[/td] [td]470[/td] [td]2132[/td] [/tr][tr][td]07-08[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]75[/td] [td]3027[/td] [td]794-1642[/td] [td].484[/td] [td]113-359[/td] [td].315[/td] [td]549-771[/td] [td].712[/td] [td]138[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]255[/td] [td]133[/td] [td]459[/td] [td]592[/td] [td]539[/td] [td]2250[/td] [/tr][tr][td]08-09[/td] [td]CLE[/td] [td]81[/td] [td]3054[/td] [td]789-1613[/td] [td].489[/td] [td]132-384[/td] [td].344[/td] [td]594-762[/td] [td].780[/td] [td]137[/td] [td]93[/td] [td]241[/td] [td]106[/td] [td]507[/td] [td]613[/td] [td]587[/td] [td]2304[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [td]G[/td] [td]MIN[/td] [td]FG[/td] [td]FG%[/td] [td]3P[/td] [td]3P%[/td] [td]FT[/td] [td]FT%[/td] [td]STL[/td] [td]BLK[/td] [td]TO[/td] [td]OFF[/td] [td]DEF[/td] [td]TOT[/td] [td]AST[/td] [td]PTS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Totals[/td] [td][/td] [td]472[/td] [td]19142[/td] [td]4647-9875[/td] [td].471[/td] [td]642-1957[/td] [td].328[/td] [td]3057-4144[/td] [td].738[/td] [td]830[/td] [td]405[/td] [td]1541[/td] [td]607[/td] [td]2700[/td] [td]3307[/td] [td]3159[/td] [td]12993[/td] [/tr][/table]

You completely ignored the ONE area that is relevant to why this question was asked. His jumpshot particularly his 3 point shot. People keep bringing up MJ and Kobe but the fact is they IMPROVED as their careers progressed. Instead of improving...he's getting worse and he's taking more and more 3's. That doesn't equal more points. When the athleticism fades this coupled with the fact that he doesn't have a post game is going to mean his scoring numbers will plummet. He needs to focus on developing a very solid post/midrange game and stop shooting 3's.

My math must be bad because looking at your highlighted areas its says his 3pt % is up from the past two years as well as his overall FG%...
laugh.gif

And, he doesnt have a significant post up game... yet.... and that was the fact I alluded to in an earlier post...

Did I forget to mention Bron is not a Guard like MJ and Kobe???
nerd.gif

So, could someone post maybe Karl Malone or SF/PF numbers over there first 5 years to make a true comparison????

Stats are something to look back on, championships are all that matters. If Lebron is a better leader than a shooter so be it. Dude is an amazing player but heneeds to lead his team to multiple chips.

Originally Posted by JsindaA

lebron is not even close
grin.gif

roll.gif

game

for the stat folks...

You completely ignored the ONE area that is relevant to why this question was asked. His jumpshot particularly his 3 point shot. People keep bringing up MJ and Kobe but the fact is they IMPROVED as their careers progressed. Instead of improving...he's getting worse and he's taking more and more 3's. That doesn't equal more points. When the athleticism fades this coupled with the fact that he doesn't have a post game is going to mean his scoring numbers will plummet. He needs to focus on developing a very solid post/midrange game and stop shooting 3's.

My math must be bad because looking at your highlighted areas its says his 3pt % is up from the past two years as well as his overall FG%...
laugh.gif

And, he doesnt have a significant post up game... yet.... and that was the fact I alluded to in an earlier post...

Did I forget to mention Bron is not a Guard like MJ and Kobe???
nerd.gif

So, could someone post maybe Karl Malone or SF/PF numbers over there first 5 years to make a true comparison????
Uh....I wouldn't be sooo quick to take this ONE year of improvement over 3 years of decline. Especially when you take into account that thelast time he improved he immediately started to shoot worse. His FG% isn't in question but we all know his game revolves around attacking the basket whichare going to produce a much higher percentage than a shooter no? Him not being a guard has NOTHING to do with how he plays. Dirk is a PF but he shoots muchmore than the average PF correct? Bron has yet to show he is a reliable jump shooter yet he continues to believe that he is one...which is a problem alot ofpeople have with his game.

I was actually wondering the same exact thing yesterday...

It really depends how good his J will be...

Back
Top Bottom