Can someone explain why people buy previous generation luxury cars?

I like a lot of the older styles better, for example...I would never cop a range rover that is newer than a 2008

So are people buying and rocking retro jordans/nikes suckers too? There are newer models out and everyone can tell you're wearing old sneakers that came out years ago..

OP have you driven a "luxury" car before? Most Mercedes and BMW's look fresh even after a few years. Most of their styling is a little forward compared to american and japanese cars.

Its not about impressing other people its about driving what you like.

Originally Posted by seth k

Do they not know that people can tell they’re driving the old version? 

Who are these "people"? It can't be strangers because they wouldn't know if you bought the car new when ti first came out and you've just had it for years. Would it be close friends and family members? Those who are close to you shouldn't really care either though if you like the car to buy it, heck even if it is to show off, most won't care and should support or offer advice instead of judge. 

i kinda see where famb is going...

why cop an old luxury whip for 30K when you can buy a similar sized whip 5 years newer w/ 100K less miles for the same price...

i know my girl is like this...

she's breaking her neck trying to cop a 2003 BMW... and she's in college...

i'm like "babe... just get a toyota. they're super reliable and you prolly wont have maintenance issues to the extent you would with an older car"..

she doesnt listen... she's really trying to show that status...

smh...
Yeah. Except for that's not at all what OP said.Purchasing a car not in your best interest financially for the sake of showing is a totally different topic.This is idiot saying people who choose to drive luxury cars that aren't in the current year's model "aren't doing it". 

A 2006 Bimmer isnt even that old. 
laugh.gif

If you were talking about the gen before that, I believe 2004 and older, you might have a case. But even though, people might just buy them cause they like that gen.

What? Are you serious?
They may not be able to afford a newer model.

They may actually like the older body style.

They might not see the point in buying a brand new car that will depreciate quickly.

They don't care about keeping up with the Jones'.

They may have gotten it for a steal.

Tons of other possibilities.

I drive a 2004 Audi A6 Avant (station wagon)...and I bought it last year.

Had no idea I was trying to fake the funk.

I wanted an AWD station wagon (Audi, VW, Subaru...didn't matter)

I had a limited budget.

I got it for a good price.

I couldn't care less as to what anyone else thinks.

My feelings are really hurt by this thread.....

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

A 2006 Bimmer isnt even that old. 
laugh.gif

If you were talking about the gen before that, I believe 2004 and older, you might have a case. But even though, people might just buy them cause they like that gen.

I drive a 2000 528i.97-03 e39 5 series is probably the BEST sedan ever produced. It was even voted one of BMW's timeless chassis.I love my car. I do mostly all maintenance myself with the help of DIYs and Bfc.The first BMW to debut angle eyes/halos.

I drive an 18 year old luxury automobile and there is hardly any maintenance. When there is I fix it or my boy does

Originally Posted by STAYFRESH

Really bro??have u even seen a 2006 5 series??Yo son my best freinds dad got mad paper im talking stacks on stacks he got a 5 series 2006 brand new in 05 shipd from overseas he barley got like 30,000 miles on it and if he was to ever sell for cheap id try to scoop but that @+!%* new was like 50-60 racks new   so i dont even know what u could be talking about

If you're the original owner then it's fine. But you guys stay making excuses talking about, "maybe they like the 6 year old joint more." LOL. STOP LYING. People cop the dusty joint because they don't have the bread for the current generation one, period. So basically they think they're fooling people trying to ball on a budget. Like homeboy's girl who wants a '03 BMW. We not talking about classic M3s, etc.

All these years and he still can get under ya'll skin with ease... the GOAT troll
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by RFX45

Do they not know that people can tell they’re driving the old version? 

Who are these "people"? It can't be strangers because they wouldn't know if you bought the car new when ti first came out and you've just had it for years. Would it be close friends and family members? Those who are close to you shouldn't really care either though if you like the car to buy it, heck even if it is to show off, most won't care and should support or offer advice instead of judge. 
^THIS. For all you know they could of bought the car the first day it was released and they dont feel the need to impress people they dont know by having the newest model but they still like the amenities of that car 2. Buying a new car is a horribly depreciating assest and rich people usually are somewhat wise with their money or else they wouldnt get and stay rich so if they choose to buy a new car they prefer to run it to the ground to get their value out of it.

Also one of my friends is looking for an older version 5 series as we speak and he is looking for that model because he loves that body style. He makes over 300K a year so money and impressing other people arent his motivating factors

I just can't see spending that much coin on a status symbol that everyone knows is old, basically paying for something that salts you up, i.e. I'm probably struggling to make payments on this.

In nyc a lot of broke dudes with no jobs been throwing on cheap suits to loiter at starbucks..been going on for a year, at least. like that loser who knocked up the kardaahian. funny is that the wealthiest dudes I know dress EXTRA basic outside of work. when you have nothing to prove you just smell like money you dont have to wear tacky glasses or a $3000 suit to get girls

You're the same guy who said the above quote in the "Swag is for boys, class is for men" thread. Did a guy in a nice suit that was pushing a previous generation luxury car take your girl? Matter of fact, was it Scott Disick? Because you sound hurt.

I just can't see spending that much coin on a status symbol that everyone knows is old, basically paying for something that salts you up, i.e. I'm probably struggling to make payments on this.

Read my post.And oh yeah, I NEVER had a car payment in my life.And to dude that posted above me earlier, that Audi avant wagon is niiice...I am also currently looking for a 97-03 e39 5 series touring/wagon in a manual transmission as a 2nd car. That will be copped on site. Straight cash homie (randy moss voice)

If a car is consider at status symbol to you
30t6p3b.gif

Some people just like certain models (I'd take gs 06 over the 2013)

Now if you copping a old model to show out that's another thing

Females cant tell the difference tho.

And if they can they probably above yo level anyway

Back
Top Bottom