Can you guys help me tweak my resume?

:lol: pretty funny J's, but seriously. Do you have any advice? I know you're a professional. Your input would actually be cool to hear.

:lol: pretty funny J's, but seriously. Do you have any advice? I know you're a professional. Your input would actually be cool to hear.

Your resume looks good to me...and the only thing I could think of (and I've heard varying opinions of doing this) is including some sort of a personal statement. Best of luck to ya, bro!

laugh.gif
pretty funny J's, but seriously. Do you have any advice? I know you're a professional. Your input would actually be cool to hear.
Your resume looks good to me...and the only thing I could think of (and I've heard varying opinions of doing this) is including some sort of a personal statement. Best of luck to ya, bro!
I think an objective/personal statement is a nice look on a resume if the job doesnt request a cover letter

what's the point of mentioning how many shoes you have?

some of your descriptions are awkwardly worded: "Evaluated budgets of 200 organizations via budget record analysis in order to allocate budgets effectively."

you have several words that have an apostrophe... "hosting's" or "reporting's"

I would encourage you to try to recreate your resume, but only use half as many words. just as an exercise. it will help you determine what is most important, and what's really just filler.

Thanks for the Razume website, looks like a helpful site

Your resume is actually already pretty good, packed with tons of keywords and organized... I like your interests part, makes you stand out a little and shows you're not a square like 90% of Finance majors. Good luck with fall recruitment! :smokin

Nothing looks wrong with to me. Even if your resume was complete crap appearance wise you wouldnt have a problem getting a job with credentials like those

Most people I talked to told me to have a hobbies section on my resume. It makes you stand out and not look like a mindless zombie and can be a good conversation point within an interview. I have no issue with the sneaker section. I also have a personal statement on my resume but its very generic. "I hope to land a positon that enables to me to blah blah blah blah and contribute to the growth of my employer"

Last edited:
Also, a college kid here.

I've used financeinterviewprep.com before. It just launched.

Did a couple mock interviews on the site and it really helped. Wasn't too expensive.

You can get advice and resume reviews etc from real finance people.

Check it out

It's not bad but it doesn't jump out at me - I tweaked my dad's a year or so ago when he retired (was a doctor and was applying for some p/t stuff when he retired at 59) and I think it looks good. In a pile of paper resumes this stands out a bit and it looks clean and interesting without being fussy. His was 2 sided - for a specific position like this he had to list all his qualifications and current/past positions. Definitely don't go more than that though.

I would agree that I would definitely take the bit about shoes out - there is no way my resume would say 'is currently an admin on a very large internet message board' unless I was applying for something that it is really relevant for. It makes you sound a bit weird. We think it's cool that you have 500 shoes - but most people look on 50 pairs as being really strange.

The last part isn't great too - I would make it a bit more personable - use your hobbies and interests to say something about you. Most people applying for these jobs will have good experience so you want them to think they will be an asset to their company. A couple of hobbies but written as a paragraph would look better IMO.

what's the point of mentioning how many shoes you have?
some of your descriptions are awkwardly worded: "Evaluated budgets of 200 organizations via budget record analysis in order to allocate budgets effectively."
you have several words that have an apostrophe... "hosting's" or "reporting's"
I would encourage you to try to recreate your resume, but only use half as many words. just as an exercise. it will help you determine what is most important, and what's really just filler.

Thanks for pointing that out. I would've never spotted that myself. I'll try to reword some stuff. Also, in finance they like to see quantitative descriptions in your resume. Reason for this is because they love to see what kind of transactions you were apart of. How will you be able to convey that without mentioning any numbers? It just fits.

Nice resume bro...any tips for Money & Banking class?

That was one of the easier finance courses I've taken during undergrad. Honestly, just read the material and understand the methodologies.

The harder classes I would say are: Econometrics (this is pure math and economics in it's purest quantitative form), Microeconomics Theory (Again, pure math, specifically calculus), Options and Futures (more so futures, because it's tough to fully understand and apply to the actual markets. Watch the movie Trading Places to get a better idea. My professor actually made that a homework assignment), Corporate Finance was also one hell of a class. If you have no desire to go into Investment Banking and can't handle constantly having to create and analyze models such as LBO's, DCF's and company evaluations--then this isn't the class for you. I had an Asian woman with a heavy accent as the professor. I basically had to teach myself the material.

What font is that brah?

Book Antiqua

It's not bad but it doesn't jump out at me - I tweaked my dad's a year or so ago when he retired (was a doctor and was applying for some p/t stuff when he retired at 59) and I think it looks good. In a pile of paper resumes this stands out a bit and it looks clean and interesting without being fussy. His was 2 sided - for a specific position like this he had to list all his qualifications and current/past positions. Definitely don't go more than that though.

I would agree that I would definitely take the bit about shoes out - there is no way my resume would say 'is currently an admin on a very large internet message board' unless I was applying for something that it is really relevant for. It makes you sound a bit weird. We think it's cool that you have 500 shoes - but most people look on 50 pairs as being really strange.
The last part isn't great too - I would make it a bit more personable - use your hobbies and interests to say something about you. Most people applying for these jobs will have good experience so you want them to think they will be an asset to their company. A couple of hobbies but written as a paragraph would look better IMO.

I'm applying for Analyst positions in finance. It's extremely rare to see someone with more than a page for a resume. I've heard interviewers screen for applicants and they ding the resumes with more than 1 page. Usually you see 2+ page resumes when you're applying for more senior level positions such as Managing Directors or a C-Level position.

As for the hobbies, I actually had a lot of great interviews because they read about the sneakers. My last internship was at a Mid-Market level bank and we spent 20 mins talking about my sneaker collection and how I waited on line for the 23's :lol:

Also, in finance applications/resume--They like to see quantitative numbers when they read stuff. It's better for me to say I have 500 pairs of sneaker than just say, "I have a large collection of sneakers".

Most people I talked to told me to have a hobbies section on my resume. It makes you stand out and not look like a mindless zombie and can be a good conversation point within an interview. I have no issue with the sneaker section. I also have a personal statement on my resume but its very generic. "I hope to land a positon that enables to me to blah blah blah blah and contribute to the growth of my employer"

Yeah, you're right about that. It's always encouraged to put hobbies and interest in your resume. But I've heard from several people that you should only use about 2 lines for that section and it should be at the end of a resume. Again, this applies for finance jobs, because a large part of the hiring process is "fit" and companies will not hire you if they see that you're not a great "fit" with your perspective group. Remember, you're going to work about 10-11 hours a day. Would you want to spend all the time with someone you can't stand?

Last edited:
Also, quick question guys.

I've had an internship with UBS doing Wealth Management a couple of years ago after I left my FOA job of 6 years.

The problem is that I didn't do much during the internship nor was I apart of many transactions. At most all I could come up with was 2 bullet points. Should I put it in there as another credential or just leave it out?

Another problem is that it would be in the middle of my Investment banking internship and my Full Time Job as an FOA. The bulk of my experience comes from working 6 years as an FOA and I would really like to highlight that in my resume, but putting UBS in the middle and FOA at the end would counter produce that. I have no choice but to put the FOA job last, because it's in chronological order.

What should I do? Am I lacking anymore experience or job I add some more? I'm really running out of space though :lol:

Yeah, you're right about that. It's always encouraged to put hobbies and interest in your resume. But I've heard from several people that you should only use about 2 lines for that section and it should be at the end of a resume. Again, this applies for finance jobs, because a large part of the hiring process is "fit" and companies will not hire you if they see that you're not a great "fit" with your perspective group. Remember, you're going to work about 10-11 hours a day. Would you want to spend all the time with someone you can't stand?
Yeah I've always heard two lines max myself. I didnt even have that, cause I wanted to put hobbies that were "corporate friendly". Beware though, they actually do remember what you put or at least keep your resume around, cause I put down that I like camping even though I've never been and now I gotta go camping with some coworkers eventually. SMH
Also, quick question guys.

I've had an internship with UBS doing Wealth Management a couple of years ago after I left my FOA job of 6 years.

The problem is that I didn't do much during the internship nor was I apart of many transactions. At most all I could come up with was 2 bullet points. Should I put it in there as another credential or just leave it out?

Another problem is that it would be in the middle of my Investment banking internship and my Full Time Job as an FOA. The bulk of my experience comes from working 6 years as an FOA and I would really like to highlight that in my resume, but putting UBS in the middle and FOA at the end would counter produce that. I have no choice but to put the FOA job last, because it's in chronological order.

What should I do? Am I lacking anymore experience or job I add some more? I'm really running out of space though
laugh.gif
I think you have plenty. Most college grads wont even have what you have to begin with, and you have two high profile internships, you'll be fine. There isnt any room to add stuff being that you're a recent grad you have to follow the one page rule. I would just leave it as is.

Last edited:
I like it, lots of good stuff on there. Here's a few things I have to say: it's a little cluttered. Take out some stuff you think might be unnecessary for a little extra white space to give it some balance. Also, if you can make some extra room, I've heard listing an objective is good. It's a really easy way to make your resume specific to where you are applying without fooling with the individual sections. Ex: A challenging _____ internship at ______ . or A full-time entry-level position with _______. etc.

To be honest your resume is smooth, and really doesn't need much changing. Its got everything you need; extra circulars, leadership experience, relevant work experience. Just make sure your interview game is on point. Good luck!

My best advice is to tailor your resume to the specific position that you are applying for.

Before i landed my career level positions, i thought that a resume should give whoever reads it a full understanding of who i am. Now that i've moved into a few different positions, i've come to realize that a resume that stands out is one that will make you seem like the obvious choice for that specific job.

Your resume makes you appear to be a good choice to do "work" in the financial industry. But if the position you are applying for does 100 transactions of a certain type per day, then you would want to emphasize your experience with those transactions. i think you had a line in there about how you "attended meetings" as a bullet for one of the positions in your work history... well, sure almost every job is going to have meetings. but you just used space on your resume to say you were good at going to meetings. i don't think a lot of HR folk will say, "hey, we've got to have this guy, he says he's been to meetings before."

The most helpful advice for you will come from two sources: the companies that you do not get interviews with, and the company that ends up hiring you. The ones you don't get interviews with will be able to explain or advise you on what you could have done better... and the one that hires you will be able to tell you what WORKED GREAT.

From what you have so far, i think any company would see that you are trying hard and have a lot of general information to bring to them. I'm sure with your efforts that you will find the right opportunity eventually.

WallStreetOasis.com

From someone who currently works in the financial services industry, trust me, you'll get better advice on there.

Work Experience is week , nobody will hire you , you need to LIE and LIE the more experience the more you qualify

Back
Top Bottom