Cell phone etiquette

Do you get annoyed when you're talking to someone and they're looking down at their phone?

Do you do it while someone is taking to you?

It is slightly aggravating when someone does it while I'm telling them something. Someones I'll just stop talking. I try my best to not do it while people are talking directly to me. If it's someone I'm cool with, I'll outright tell them "you're not listening".

What I'm definitely guilty of is, while on the phone with someone, zoning out while reading or typing something and i have to ask them to repeat it. I try not to do it bc can always tell when the person on the other end is not paying attention.

I imagine that this is becoming a big issue with relationships as well. There's even a word for it "phubbing".

I remember i had a girl over and while i was I was in the kitchen making drinks, she was on her phone, when i went to the living room where she was she said "oh, let me put my phone away, that's rude"...i was shocked and impressed since she was in the age group that typically doesn't think like that (21).

6865BFB6-6C22-4CF1-9E7F-D2484D5F3990.jpeg

It’s mildly annoying and lowkey disrespectful in my view but I wouldn’t make a big deal out of it, as long as it’s just to reply to a text, look up something relevant to our conversation or show something.
I don’t mind that much if it’s just an acquaintance using his/her phone excessively during a conversation.

Thankfully my group of friends hold the same view on cellphone use in the company of others so it’s really not a problem.
Generally I actively try to avoid using my phone in any capacity when I’m with friends or acquaintances. I’ll check text notifications but postpone replying, unless it’s something important or something I can quickly reply to.

It’s such a pathetic sight when you see younger groups sitting next to eachother looking down at their phones, hardly conversating with eachother.

Last edited:
Cant stand when you are talking to someone and they are on the phone but the one thing that really annoys the **** out of me is when someone is on the speaker phone in public. Yo get your *** some earpieces or fix your ****ing phone if it only works on speaker you dumbass.

To me, it depends on the time or the place and also whether or not you're expecting an important message/e-mail/notification. In a professional setting, I always say "excuse me" or "sorry...gotta take this". But if it's a casual group conversation that I don't neccesarily have to be fully engaged in, than I see nothing wrong with a quick glance. I don't stayed glued to my phone though or interrupt a one on one convo with silently reading my phone, every time someone does that to me, I part ways and keep it moving. I don't want to have to wait for someone to read and answer a text while I sit there idle in front of them. Sometimes, I think people do that deliberately.

i had a friend that i worked with... he got promoted and relocated to a store i worked at but it was a far drive for him and he didnt have his license... so he relied on public transportation heavy... i said look you can crash at my house if you want...so when we would drive home from work he would talk to his girl on the phone in my car... i told him you know thats mad rude right... he looked at me crazy...im like ya thats rude that im here just driving and your going to ignore me and just talk to your girl all day on the phone...

Did I miss the memo where it's ok to just watch shows in public without the headphones in? I was at the airport last month and this kid was playing his game on the iPad and it was loud and annoying. I was the only one that was like wtf?

I've got a homeboy that's legit addicted. He can't even drive without looking at Twitter or texting. It's so sad and i hate riding with him because of it. We rode to get something to eat and he was playing wack music and on Twitter the whole time so i just put my earbuds in and just zoned out.

i had a friend that i worked with... he got promoted and relocated to a store i worked at but it was a far drive for him and he didnt have his license... so he relied on public transportation heavy... i said look you can crash at my house if you want...so when we would drive home from work he would talk to his girl on the phone in my car... i told him you know thats mad rude right... he looked at me crazy...im like ya thats rude that im here just driving and your going to ignore me and just talk to your girl all day on the phone...

Been through that. Mfs would ask me to turn off or down the music while I drive in order for them to talk on the phone.

What's annoying is speaker phones and car phones.

Stop putting me on them!

The sound is trash and there's always a slight delay.

Why do people use these options!?!?!

Why does someone driving a car use the car phone to talk?

If someone doesn't give you their undivided attention or excuse themselves then don't even bother to explain to them, it's a lost cause.
I told my boy the same thing. If they don't get it then i can't make them get it. It's like trying to explain to a trump supporter how he's racist. Either you know or you don't.

I'm definitely very picky with that, a cheap earpiece or speaker phone kills the audio quality.
It just let's me know that i need to start sounding more time to myself and maximizing that time. If people do it to me know I'm just gonna legit walk off. My other homeboy will come by to visit and start checking his phone while I'm talking to him, that's the only one i don't know how to navigate yet. It's like i don't care enough to make a deal out of it but it is annoying.

I used to kick it with this chick a few months back and I remember telling her she's a good listener. I meant it but it felt so generic and I couldn't exactly explain why, now I know, it's bc when I was over there, her phone was always face down and she would always listen to what i had to say and vice versa. Even when we didn't have anything to say so the moment, we'd just watch tv until our next topic arose. That's an aspect of the human experience that endangered, just enjoying a brief quiet moment. I even remember telling her that for could be a therapist. She might reply to a text here or there but it was very rare. She's not on social media either which I thought was cool.

Last edited:
Convenient for you.

You killing the person on the other end lol.

It might just be me.

But I can't stand it.

And they always announce it as if they're proud of the transition "hold on, lemme comment you too my car Bluetooth"
Nah, just call me when you can talk.

I hope I'm not turning into my dad bc I swear EVERYTHING annoys him.

Worse is people BUMPING into you while their walking and texting or talking. Like bruh, don’t make me mush you and push your *** off the sidewalk.

Ain’t enough conversation in the world for me though. I was never much of a phone person. Even in the 90s, or 2000s. I hate small talk.

I don’t want my ear talked off all day about gossip or what such and such has going on. If you’re not calling me about about money or a business opportunity to MAKE money. Don’t call me.

Back
Top Bottom