Cell phone etiquette

I was in an informal class and had no notebook so I tried to type my notes on my phone..... I am pretty sure the presenter still hates my guts
I was in a boring training for a boring job. Like an idiot, I had an earbud in (one with a wire), and the trainer saw it and asked me a question on the fly in attempt to call me out for not listening. I read the situation and knew to not act flustered or ask him to repeat the question, and I heard enough of the question to put together a well articulated but nonsense answer. No one else sniffed me out but I was in the wrong. Probably could've gotten in trouble too. I definitely know better nowadays.

if its a one on one situation no im not going on my phone but if im with more than one yeah ill use my phone here and there

I was in a boring training for a boring job. Like an idiot, I had an earbud in (one with a wire), and the trainer saw it and asked me a question on the fly in attempt to call me out for not listening. I read the situation and knew to not act flustered or ask him to repeat the question, and I heard enough of the question to put together a well articulated but nonsense answer. No one else sniffed me out but I was in the wrong. Probably could've gotten in trouble too. I definitely know better nowadays.

To follow up on my own story I got to the second round of a job interview for the presenters company. The presenter is the CEO of the company I was applying too. The HR manager liked me and was going to set up a second round interview and then all of a sudden I was told I didn’t have the right kind of experience. I feel pretty confident the CEO remembered me and axed my application because I have a unique name and she really did hate my guts.

Ironically, I would say 70% of people who be glued to their phone or talking and texting all day, be looking at at stuff with no substance or intellectual gain. Straight looking at dumb, idiotic material all day

no doubt about that, i have 2 childhood friends like this

they be glued to the phone uploading dumb **** on their IG stories, but can't reply to the group chat when we have actual conversation going on

and then they give me a hard time about not having social media, but being on NT

Moving into a new house today and me and my girl decided we are going to have a basket to put our phones in when we are both off from work. And if we have people over and they are glued to their phones we are going to politely ask them to get off their phone and offer the basket if they can’t control themselves.

No shoes in the new house either.

I probably would've gotten up and left.
One time I was at lunch with a chick and her sister called and she has a full fledged convo. I got up and sat in the car and listened to music.

Was this while on a date? Seems like it would’ve been awkward after you walked away.

Ahh I see, all good then. I would’ve done the same to be honest.
She was a phone junkie. Also felt like she had to update her socials constantly. She felt like she had to respond to every call and message immediately. Her argument is she wants to maintain good relationships with the people reaching out to her, but she doesn't realizing that it's tainting the relationship of the person you're actually spending time with.
One time I pulled up to my crib and she was still taking selfies. I guess she wanted me to admire her or maybe try to get involved. Nope. Left her in the car and went inside. She tried to pick an argument about something stupid. I went and took a nap.

She was a phone junkie. Also felt like she had to update her socials constantly. She felt like she had to respond to every call and message immediately. Her argument is she wants to maintain good relationships with the people reaching out to her, but she doesn't realizing that it's tainting the relationship of the person you're actually spending time with.
One time I pulled up to my crib and she was still taking selfies. I guess she wanted me to admire her or maybe try to get involved. Nope. Left her in the car and went inside. She tried to pick an argument about something stupid. I went and took a nap.

Goodness man, I hope you don’t hang out with her still. She seems awfully annoying to be with. My dad has just now caught the social media bug and is posting video when we’re out in places. I’ve already checked him a few times on it so he’s slowed that down.

It's gotten to the point I dont even wanna go to kick its cuz people are ****in glued to their phones. **** that I've been keeping my **** at the crib. It's a hard addiction to give up...
Honestly, it seems like this is what we're headed to. Everyone at home with limited physical interaction. I get more and more annoyed with people not listening/checking their phone, and I'm like forget it, I may as well be solo.

I try not to associate with people who can't stop using their phone when hanging out. It's not an issue in my inner social circle thankfully.

I don’t get how people go to a event and record the whole thing for social media lol
This especially. I'm the polar opposite though, I've never even taken pictures or video at festivals, football matches, ... I've been to. Just not really a thought that crosses my mind. The only reason I even have pictures of those kind of events are because my friends take them.
I get making a small video but people just recording on and on? Nah.

The door swings both ways for me. If you're an interesting person who can hold a conversation and connect with others, the cell phone issue tends to be a moot point because you can effectively engage with others to the point where they want to participate as well instead of staying glued to their phone.

On the other hand, a lot of people bemoan cell phones when they're just not all that interesting to be around. I had a boomer at a previous job go on a tirade about how everyone was "too wrapped up in their phones" to talk to him while we were all on break, but the only thing he ever had to say was some surface-level commentary about what was on the TV at the time we were all sitting down. I finally broke one day and said something along the lines of "if you can start a conversation that's more interesting than what I'm reading, then I'm all yours" and he clammed up quick.

You want people to pay attention to you and not their phones? Make an actual effort to be an interesting, informed person with substantial thoughts. No one gives a **** what you think about the weather or your bumper sticker commentary on social issues.

The door swings both ways for me. If you're an interesting person who can hold a conversation and connect with others, the cell phone issue tends to be a moot point because you can effectively engage with others to the point where they want to participate as well instead of staying glued to their phone.

On the other hand, a lot of people bemoan cell phones when they're just not all that interesting to be around. I had a boomer at a previous job go on a tirade about how everyone was "too wrapped up in their phones" to talk to him while we were all on break, but the only thing he ever had to say was some surface-level commentary about what was on the TV at the time we were all sitting down. I finally broke one day and said something along the lines of "if you can start a conversation that's more interesting than what I'm reading, then I'm all yours" and he clammed up quick.

You want people to pay attention to you and not their phones? Make an actual effort to be an interesting, informed person with substantial thoughts. No one gives a **** what you think about the weather or your bumper sticker commentary on social issues.
Good points too but I feel like it's just basic common decency regardless of how boring the conversation is. I could be bored out of my mind but as long as my relationship with that person isn't too negative I won't just pull out my phone.

Back
Top Bottom