Certifications vs Degree

Sup NT,

Follow up to my last thread about night courses, been doing more research wanted some educated NT insight.

I'm currently working in finance and was thinking if I were to get a bunch of financial certs. under my belt with my proven experience would I be good money?

The certification classes are easier for me to fit into my work schedule and they are alot less "filler" non-sense and it would be quicker to get 3 certs then it would be for me to get my degree working full time...

First cert I would aim for is probably estate planning to capitalize on the book of business I already have (working on the upper east side :smokin)

I may go down this road instead, what you guise think?

Anyone have certs and no degree? How has it been for you?

Last edited:
series 7: relatively easy... you study for these for a couple months and will pass easy.... most everyone in the financial world has one b/c it basically allows you to man'age money.

cfp (what i'm going for either this semester or next semester): is harder, costs about $600, and given twice a year. this will be used more in retail banking (investments, advising, dealing with customers) almost all of this knowledge will be applied to real world.

cfa: the hardest of them all... cats fail 60% on their first try... its a 3 year test... cant move on to the next until you pass the prior... really expensive too... like $1k...

i read that series 7 is a 1st grade spelling test, cfa is a high school algebra test... and cfa is a high level college calculus test.

you need stuff to stand out... certs will stand out, but its really hard to eem get looked at for a corporate gig without a degree b/c its somewhat standard now a days...

i say get your degree AND the certifications...

you need stuff to stand out... certs will stand out, but its really hard to eem get looked at for a corporate gig without a degree b/c its somewhat standard now a days...
i say get your degree AND the certifications...

Spot on with this right here.

I think about this a lot. I'm an Accounting major with 2 years of undergrad left. Being able to stand out amongst others to potential employers is most important to me.

I think about this a lot. I'm an Accounting major with 2 years of undergrad left. Being able to stand out amongst others to potential employers is most important to me.
w/ accounting, more times than not, cats fall into other areas

I've never considered being a double major but I'll definitely look into it. Anything to strengthen my chances.

I too have wondered this but not for accounting but for criminal justice. Was thinking about attaining a couple of c&j certificates. Anyone in the field out there??

P4L. I don't have any certifications. Have my undergrad degree in Finance/Entrepreneurship. I don't want to do the whole corporate job thing. Want to start my own business. Are any of these still worthwhile if I'm going to be working for myself any way?

depends on what you want to do. A lot of people want to open their own business. What are you looking to get into?

Back
Top Bottom