Champions League knockout stage draw

Left the house at 60 minute mark.. was a boring game, thought it would be good after Rooney scoring 2nd minute.

smh.gif
MU.. disappointing.

laugh.gif
Utd got raped hard by a Bayern team missing 2 of their key players and with 3-4 injured players at like 60-70%. I loved seeing Nani flop and dive on everything, definitely the next CR7 just without the skill. I'm happy with that result, look for Bayern to go hard at Utd on Wednesday with their team back in full force. Ribery today was just embarassing the entire Utd squad, definitely MOTM.

Bordeaux like I figured would lose to Lyon, Lyon in Europe are just so damn powerful this year and always produce results like this in these types of games. Lyon definitely has what it takes to get to the final and even win. But don't take credit away from Bordeaux, they didn't even come close to getting raped, they played a pretty good game just didn't capitalize on their chances. Chamakh's header goal will definitely come in handy next season at the Emirates...I have yet to watch a Bordeaux match and not be impressed by Chamakh, Wenger better not mess anything up
laugh.gif

Tomorrow is the day I'm waiting for...I hope we can put it to Barca. They say Fab is 40% fit, but we all know their mind games and suprisingly Gallas is back in the squad too
laugh.gif
this dude took more steroid than Jose Conseco to get fit. Whatever works though, we are definitely catching somewhat of a break with Iniesta out and Xavi a doubt. Let's go Gunners.

It's absolutely crucial that Arsenal go for the win tomorrow and try not to concede. A loss tomorrow or 2-goals conceded at home and Arsenal shouldn't even bother showing up to the Nou Camp next week. A 1-0 win or 2-1 win would be huge...they could go into the 2nd leg and try to hang on. Even a 0-0 draw would be good for Arsenal.

I think the key to this match is if Campbell/Gallas will start at CB and who'll start on the left side for Barca. I think Pedro's speed would cause problems for Campbell. Henry isn't the same player and I think that Sagna and Campbell could contain him. Clichy has the speed to match Messi but he doesn't have the football IQ. Song/Diaby are going to have to cheat to the left and try to slow Messi down. Based on what I've seen from Ibracrapovic this season, I'm not too concerned about him but the guy is so naturally gifted that he's capable of burning anyone at any time. At the moment though, it looks like his confidence is down and he still hasn't been able to synchronize his runs with the rest of his Barca teammates.

As for Arsenal's attack, we're going to need to rely on free kicks and set pieces to trouble Valdes. Arshavin is going to have to step his game up...he hasn't played that well over the past 3-weeks. The more he has the ball, the less Dani Alves can push up and the less possession Messi will have.

My prediction is 1-1 tomorrow.

Inter to win 2-0 at home. Sure, they're struggling domestically but this team was assembled to compete in Europe. I'm sure Inter fans would take a UCL finals APPEARANCE over another Serie A title.

I agree with everything you are saying...I do think Bendtner will cause problems for Marquez, Milito, whoever is back there with Pique and Puyol. I think they were saying Abidal is back too. Bendtner's height will help us big time and Arshavin's pace is going to be nearly unstoppable. I'd like to see Arshavin, Bendtner and Walcott for his speed to start up front with Nasri, Diaby, Song and Fab in the midfield.

Would love to see Gallas come out tomorrow, but I wouldn't mind Traore in the back, because I am worried about Sol's speed, not about his power. We must win tomorrow. I'm hoping this matchup lives up to the hype.

Being optimistic but I see us going for a 3-1 win tomorrow. We can cause problems with our passing, our counter, and with our posession. The crowd tomorrow is going to be crazy, I would give anything to be there tomorrow too...Let's go Gunners.

Edit isn't working, I forgot to add...I think we'll see a 1-1 or a 2-2 draw at the San Siro. CSKA are a fairly good team and I've watched them a handful of times and they definitely aren't some trash team, they will put up a fight and Honda is someone who will cause all kinds of problems for Inter.

the usually-dependable Evra making a mess there...1-1 would've been nice to take back to Old Trafford...
tired.gif

brought me back to '99 - same teams,same scoreline and pretty much the same way the game ended...
the result just wasn't in favour of United this time round...
ohwell.gif

tough times ahead for United...Chelsea and the return leg - all without Rooney...
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Scholes also committed a bad tackle...what is it with English players and reckless challenges?
smh.gif

i thought you knew already...
Scholes is the prince of late tackles...it's been like that for years...
laugh.gif

Rooney appeared to hurt his ankle very bad, looks like a bad sprain or even maybe a fracture. He should definitely be out for 2nd leg and maybe 3-4 weeks.

We'll see what United are made of this weekend if they don't have Rooney. I certainly don't know how they'll beat Chelsea, but I think they can manage a draw.

Even as a Chelsea fan, I hated seeing Roonaldo carried off the pitch today. Puts a damper on the match this weekend. Concede the league now, yeah?

Originally Posted by ERASCISM

Even as a Chelsea fan, I hated seeing Roonaldo carried off the pitch today. Puts a damper on the match this weekend. Concede the league now, yeah?
Sort of. I feel like we would have beaten them anyway given the current form of the squad, so now Man U fans will have an excuse. On the other hand, a W is a W, especially in a race like this, so Rooney sitting out is cool with me. 

Like I said...Rooney out 2-4 weeks. Will miss 2nd leg, Chelsea game, Manchester derby and maybe even the Spurs game. Utd WILL drop points and I hope we can pass them and put a 2-3 point gap on them. Sorry but with Berbatov running your strike, Utd fans, you have no chance in the CL.

And Cesc isn't out today, he's going to have a very late fitness test, they will decide when they are warming up to play him or not...let's hope he is ok, I don't think he will miss this game, even if he's 60%, I think Wenger must risk him because he knows this is a MUST WIN.

Just read that Cesc will be starting...he went through his fitness test this morning and he is feeling really good. Let's hope this is true and that Gallas will be in the back with TV5.
pimp.gif

haha nice! well I'm rooting for my Gunners. peep this article my boy wrote about today's match up on my website:

http://livebreathefutbol.com

As many of you know, tomorrow’s clash between Arsenal and Barcelona has been viewed by many to be a very mouth watering encounter. The reasons for this are that both teams play an open game and like to hold on to the ball. However, this particular match that will be played in two legs has subplots that will make an entertaining game, not only for the fans of either teams but also for the neutral. It’s almost as though it were a movie directed by Martin Scorsese. These subplots revolve around Arsene—the Professor—Wenger, Pep Guardiola, Thierry Henry, and Francesc (Cesc) Fabregas.

As a manager of a high caliber team like Arsenal, Arsene Wenger has won all the trophies except for the elusive Champion’s League one. He almost did this in the 2006 final when he faced Barcelona in Paris but went down 2-1. As having failed this once before, he aims to go against the odds (if you so believe Arsenal are underdogs) and pull off an upset. He of people knows there is no point in doing all this if his team is to succumb in the semis or final in the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium in May. He is in it to win it!

A lot can be said about Pep Guardiola. He has done it all as a manager and a player. He is just one of half a dozen men to lift the illustrious trophy both as a player and a coach. With that in mind, if he ends up taking his Barça side to lift another unprecedented CL title, there will surely be debates on him being regarded as one of the greatest coaches of modern football.

A record of 226 goals in eight seasons for a player is no mere accomplishment. That is one of the many reasons why Thierry Henry is considered one of the greatest players to ever play the game. His return to the Emirates will be emotional and nerves will play a great deal in the first leg for the player. He did confess that his heart sank when he learned of the draw of facing his former team. He also went on to admit that he did not want to play against Arsenal but will have to as a professional. Henry is likely to feature on the left wing of Barça’s three-man attack. His love and respect for Arsene and the Arsenal fans will make his return all the more unforgettable.

‘The one who got away’ is what Cesc Fabregas is regarded as, as he moved from Barcelona to find greener pastures at Arsenal. Ever since then, maybe knowing that they had made a huge mistake, the Catalans have tried to lure the Arsenal skipper back home. This has become more evident as the candidate Sandro Rosell, who is running for F.C. Barça’s presidency, has made it his platform to lure Fabregas using his close ties with his family. Ultimately, the decision lies with him but that could all change if Coach Guardiola decides to personally persuade him. Knowing that Guardiola is Cesc’s all time hero adds more flavor to this already savory subplot.

History has it that during Fabregas’ time at Barça’s youth academy, Fabregas was going through a torrid time as his parent’s were going through a divorce. Guardiola found out about this and autographed one of his jerseys (ironically it was a number 4 Barça) to Cesc. It was inscribed "One day, you will be the number four of Barcelona". Fabregas cried after being given the jersey. That was in 2001, and nine years later, Cesc Fabregas will be looking to show his idol and long time friends and team mates (Messi and Piqué) how far he has come ever since their academy days together.

Knowing all this reaffirms my belief in a higher power. This is no coincidence that all these subplots occurring outside the pitch are just a matter of fact. They are there to intensify the game and make it as enjoyable as possible. Both teams want would want to progress to the semis but it is unfortunate that only one will have to. It is also a shame that this is to be played in the quarter-finals instead of a repeat of the 2006 final. All I can say is ¡que será, será!

Man Utd. still have hope next week...a 1-0 win is enough to see them through.

Even without Rooney they'll still be favorites over FCGB/Lyon and the way the UCL is set up, you dont need to blow your opponents out of the water to advance.

I think it'll hurt them domestically though. They've got 4 tough domestic fixtures coming up in which they'll likely drop some points with Rooney out..

Bayern will be even stronger than yesterday...Robben and Schweinsteiger will both be back and Gomez will not start on the bench, expect them to give it to Utd hard. A 1-0 Utd win will not happen.
laugh.gif

CSKA seem like they will defend and counter
No Lucio or Motta, hopefully Zanetti is not in midfield
Materazzi could be starting which Idk about, they are a quick team
Balotelli left out for the 6th match in a row
smh.gif
He really **$@*@ up this time
Not worried, just hope we don't concede

good luck to Arsenal in their tie
im thinking 2-1

Back
Top Bottom