Champions League knockout stage draw

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

The unfortunate thing for Messi is that he NEEDS to win a World Cup in order to be considered one of the true greats. Pele, Maradona, Zidane, all have won it. But fortunately, there are at least two more WCs left in him after this one, if he doesn't win this time.
I dont think its unfortunate at all. To be amongst Pele, Maradona, Zidane and Ronaldo, Messi will have to win the sport's most prized competition. I believe that Messi will have some insane numbers when its all said and done but he's going to have to win a WC to be considered as possibly the best ever.

The 4 guys I mentioned above elevated their national teams to ultimate glory. Argentina currently have some flaws but a great player like Messi is capable of elevating them above the 31 other teams in the WC.

The really unfortunate thing is that if Argentina fail to win it this year, you'll have clowns who'll say "Messi failed to win the WC...he's not that good without his Barca team mates". Messi is only 22 and has at least 2 more WCs in him after this year's competition. Maradona, Zidane and Ronaldo all led their countries to WC wins at the age of 26. Theoretically speaking, Messi hasn't reached his prime.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

The unfortunate thing for Messi is that he NEEDS to win a World Cup in order to be considered one of the true greats. Pele, Maradona, Zidane, all have won it. But fortunately, there are at least two more WCs left in him after this one, if he doesn't win this time.
I dont think its unfortunate at all. To be amongst Pele, Maradona, Zidane and Ronaldo, Messi will have to win the sport's most prized competition. I believe that Messi will have some insane numbers when its all said and done but he's going to have to win a WC to be considered as possibly the best ever.

The 4 guys I mentioned above elevated their national teams to ultimate glory. Argentina currently have some flaws but a great player like Messi is capable of elevating them above the 31 other teams in the WC.

The really unfortunate thing is that if Argentina fail to win it this year, you'll have clowns who'll say "Messi failed to win the WC...he's not that good without his Barca team mates". Messi is only 22 and has at least 2 more WCs in him after this year's competition. Maradona, Zidane and Ronaldo all led their countries to WC wins at the age of 26. Theoretically speaking, Messi hasn't reached his prime.
HE'S 22??? I had no idea
roll.gif
. Dude could realistically play until he was 34...

If he plays well and they lose, you have a point. But if they lose and he plays poorly, then I think Messi's rep fairly takes a hit. Just like you said, he needs to win a WC to be considered the GOAT, but I think he needs to at least play very well in the tournaments they lose if he's to be considered ONE OF the best ever. 

THESE ARE THE CHAMPIONNNSSS....

Bump for the quarterfinals. Bittersweet without Chelsea, but let's see how it goes.
Edit:

These white Man U jerseys are so piss. 
sick.gif
 They look like cheap t-shirts. 

Yeah, not United's best kit. IMO, the white w/ gold trim a few seasons back was worse.

Lets go!
EDIT!  ROONEH ROONEH ROONEH!  Slip by the masked-man... 

These dudes are not %+%$@$* around.

The ball was in live play for 15 seconds before they scored.

eek.gif

Originally Posted by Oskar Kokoshka

roll.gif
did that just happen? awesome marking there
Defender fell on his #+% for no apparent reason. Maybe bad choice of cleats or something. But it looked like Rooney might have had him beat anyway. 

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Scrappy 1st half. Surprised the scoreline stayed the same.

agreed, poor showing from both sides in my opinion, wazza should of had one more, and we were lucky to not see bayern equalize.

hopefully we see a few changes at the half, four four two seems to be a better match for bayern
nerd.gif

Damn, Utd. is playing... poorly.
EDIT ~ #$^% ridiculous goal.  
smh.gif
 Its a fair scoreline though, I must admit.  

a well deserved goal by Ribery...one lucky bounce deserves another
man u's performance so far
sick.gif

Rooney is such a little %%!#* sometimes. He keeps tackling defenders and then looking at the referee in utter shock. And since he scored that goal he hasn't done anything else.

#$%#$ing PATHETIC. Well deserved loss.  Against a 'weaker' Bayern side too... '99 payback.  
ohwell.gif

ANOTHER ROONEY FOOT INJURY!?!?  
eek.gif

Check that, he rolled-over his ankle... 
frown.gif

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bayern definitely deserved to win that match and by +2 goals as well. Man of the match was Van der Sar, he played great for Man Utd and he's the reason Man Utd. didn't lose by more.

Lyon completely outplayed FCGB. It was only my 2nd time seeing Chamakh play and I was very impressed with his awareness and aerial ability. He had 3 great chances with his head and converted 1 of them. Arsenal are a better team than FCGB so with better service I think that Chamakh could score 15+ goals for the Gunners if he joins them next season.

Rooney is such a little %%!#* sometimes. He keeps tackling defendersand then looking at the referee in utter shock. And since he scoredthat goal he hasn't done anything else.
I agree that was a bad tackle but I disagree about him doing nothing in the 2nd half. He got absolutely no service and he was pretty much left on an island up there. Man Utd only managed 1-2 shots in the 2nd half and both were from set pieces. Scholes also committed a bad tackle...what is it with English players and reckless challenges?
smh.gif

Rooney is such a little %%!#* sometimes. He keeps tackling defendersand then looking at the referee in utter shock. And since he scoredthat goal he hasn't done anything else.
I agree that was a bad tackle but I disagree about him doing nothing in the 2nd half. He got absolutely no service and he was pretty much left on an island up there. Man Utd only managed 1-2 shots in the 2nd half and both were from set pieces. Scholes also committed a bad tackle...what is it with English players and reckless challenges?
smh.gif

Yeah service was poor, but I think the few times he controlled the ball he gave it away immediately. Just seemed out of it the whole second half.
pimp.gif
 and 
laugh.gif
 @ Olic after he scored. Got the yellow card and shook hands with the ref and asked for a sub. Dude was feelin' himself so much. 
roll.gif

Honestly though, games like this are just about what I expected from Man U this year, and it's a testament to Sir Alex and the team's cohesion that they sit atop the table right now. I think they suffer from the same problem as England: they don't have a true playmaker in the heart of the field to open things up for everyone else. Same as Chelsea you could say. They don't have a Xavi or Kaka or Sneider. That's why Rooney wasn't getting service, Bayern shut down the wings and forced them to go down the middle, and they basically couldn't do it. The one great cross they got into the Bayern box was off a dead ball in the first minute. 

Well deserved win by Bayern. Man U didn't show anything today. Game was rather boring for the majority of it.

Can't wait for the Inter game as well as the Barca game. Lap top and tv to watch both. haha

Back
Top Bottom