Champions League knockout stage draw

Frustrating to lose like that... its a fine line between youthful exuberance and immature stupidity.

Crazy strike by Robben though.

pimp.gif

A French, Italian, Spanish, and German team in the quarters...love it

no English teams is so frigging nice, it was ridiculous when 3 of them were in the semis 2 years ago

Robben is a great player but just like his country man van Persie, he is extremely injury prone. The guy isn't even allowed to play the full 90 minutes most of the time because of his propensity to pick up injuries.

Bayern Munich's defence sucks balls. How a team that has conceded 8 goals in their last 4 UCL matches made the semis is beyond me. This is probably the weakest Lyon team in 7-years and yet it'll be their first trip to the UCL semis. I'm not looking forward to this match-up at all since I dont think either team deserves to be in the final. Inter/Barca should paste either team in May. Barca demolished both teams in this competition last season and there's little reason to think they wont be able to do so again this season. Inter shouldn't have much trouble either. Let's just pretend Inter vs. Barca is the finals
laugh.gif

no English teams is so frigging nice, it was ridiculous when 3 of them were in the semis 2 years ago
I bet that Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal would have no problems beating Lyon/Bordeaux and that Chelsea/Arsenal could probably beat Bayern. The English teams have been a fixture in the late stages of this tournament for the last 5-years and will continue to be around for several years to come while it is highly unlikely that German/French clubs like Bayern or Lyon will make it far again in the upcoming years. It's just a quirky kind of season that has resulted in some very surprising results. Anyways, it's good to see some diversity in this competition for a change. I would've preferred though to see the two best teams remaining (Inter and Barca) meeting in the finals instead of the semis.

Originally Posted by Oskar Kokoshka

You know what's funny, Real selling Robben and Sneijder and they were both deciding factors in their teams getting to the semis. All while Real is knocked out
laugh.gif

And no more english teams
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Just adds to the hilarity of them losing to Lyon after buying Benzema. 

And I might have to agree with Robben > Ribery right now. How do you not? At one point the commentators said something about Ribery trying to do too much, and it's so true. He's constantly trying to dribble through 6 defenders. 

What did Ribery do for this thread to take such an anti-Ribery turn? Did you not see who made the pass to Robben? And the sheer quality of the pass?

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

What did Ribery do for this thread to take such an anti-Ribery turn? Did you not see who made the pass to Robben? And the sheer quality of the pass?
Don't think anyone is really anti-Ribery, just saying Robben is playing better. The pass was good, but it was a piece of cake compared to the volley. Robben has now scored two absolute wonder goals to advance his team in consecutive rounds. Gotta give him his props. 

Another come from behind fluke victory, I'll take it
happy.gif

I don't understand this Bayern team, why do we always need to have an uphill battle before we play normal??? Also, the back 4 were absolutely shocking as usual. When Nani had a breakaway in the 2nd half, it was Olic & v.Bommel that caught up to him while all the defenders were dragging behind.

I think Man Utd need to play this young team more often, Scholes, Neville & Giggs are getting too old. Rooney really impressed me again, his mental toughness is out of this world. You could see that he'd been working like a mad man since the 1st leg to allow himself to play today. He has come along way from the uber-agressive teen - a lot of players would be so much better if they could adopt his mentality.

Lastly, Ribery needs to be sold in the Summer, other components of the team need to be upgraded.

Rafael showed a little bit of immaturity but he'll learn from it...

sucks to get knocked out this way but i'm proud of the boys for their performance...

Originally Posted by trunks206

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[Kanye West] Swagger on a Hundred Thousand TRILLION![/Kanye West]

Robben has done way more for Beyern in the Champions League than Ribery. In my eyes he is the better player as of right now. Unless Ribery can prove otherwise.

I don't watch the Bundesliga, but have Bayern always had so many holes in their backline? Defenders just standing around like statues.

Originally Posted by SinnerP

I don't watch the Bundesliga, but have Bayern always had so many holes in their backline? Defenders just standing around like statues.
Actually, Bayern's defense has been great in domestic competition, but I'd attribute a lot of that to their offense having complete control of most matches (+30 goal differential).  It's been quite another story in UEFA competition.

Contento and Badstuber are young, so it's unsurprising that he'd get torched against the world's best, while both Van Buyten and Demichelis are getting up there in age.  Lahm is really the only decent back that they've got at the moment.  You'd think that they've given up far too many goals to be this deep in the Champions League, but, well, here they are thanks to their offense (read: Arjen Robben).

Right now, Barca is Mutombo, and Inter, Bayern, and Lyon are all clubs who want to sex Mutombo.  I'm hoping for a Barca/Bayern final due to its potential to be an offensive explosion; I'd put the over/under at 6.

Back
Top Bottom