Charles Woodson won AP Defensive player of the year

Congrats Charles. I loved you when you were in Oakland. Although I believe it should've went to Revis, but you deserved it as well. Those interceptions andbig plays you made was probably the difference between you two. Also it helps to play for the team with the better record. The packers finished #2 overall indefense.

To play devils advocate: Revis had to face tougher receivers this year and played for the #1 pass defense/overall defense in the league.

[h2]Associated Press[/h2] [h1]Packers CB Woodson voted AP's top defensive player[/h1]By BARRY WILNER , 01.12.10, 10:05 AM EST
474d46752b45744d6b2b414144614751
474d46752b45744d6b2b414144614751

NEW YORK -- Green Bay cornerback Charles Woodson has won The Associated Press 2009 NFL Defensive Player of the Year award.

The versatile Woodson tied for the league lead with nine interceptions, returning three for touchdowns, and was a key to the Packers' turnaround on defense. His role in Green Bay's ranking second in overall defense, first in interceptions (30), takeaways (40) and turnover margin (plus-24) earned Woodson 28 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL.

He doubled the number of votes for New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis in becoming the first Green Bay winner since Reggie White in 1998 and just the second Packer in the 36-year history of the award.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/01/12/sports-fbn-defensive-player_7266794.html

I wouldn't have minded seeing Revis get a share but no complaints here. Woodson did his thing this year

Originally Posted by blackredxiiigoat

indifferent.gif
@ this....It should have went to Revis.

One thing I dont think ANYONE should argue though, is that Woodson should not have won it by as many votes as he did, the gap between 1st and 2nd place in terms of votes made no sense to me.

Yeeupp!!! First athlete I ever considered "my fav player". DB's finally gettin love good stuff.

Well deserved. I think just This award is like offensive player of the year. You got to have the stats to back it up to win. I'm not saying that'scorrect but in the past. The defensive players with the best numbers have won.

woodson 9 ints with 3td, 2 sacks, 4ff

revis 6 ints, 1 td, o sacks , 0 ff

if we're going by numbers, sharper: 9int, 376 int yards(record), 3td's. 0.5 sack. Easily on par with woodson's numbers. But what good is the awardif that players team defense is mediocre. Woodson is deserving even though i think revis should have gotten a piece of it.

Originally Posted by parada45

I was about to say Revis was robbed

But Woodson does have better numbers

Did they get the ball thrown in their direction the same amount of times ?

I haven't been watching much football this season , but they talk about Revis as if the dude walks on water here in NY .

Originally Posted by khoshabasfinest23

Well deserved. I think just This award is like offensive player of the year. You got to have the stats to back it up to win. I'm not saying that's correct but in the past. The defensive players with the best numbers have won.
Thats not true. Bob Sanders won it 2 years ago with these stats.

[table][tr][td]Tackles[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]Interceptions[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Year[/td] [td]Team[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Comb[/td] [td]Total[/td] [td]Ast[/td] [td]Sck[/td] [td]SFTY[/td] [td]PDef[/td] [td]Int[/td] [td]TDs[/td] [td]Yds[/td] [td]Avg[/td] [td]Lng[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]2007[/td] [td]Indianapolis Colts[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]96[/td] [td]71[/td] [td]25[/td] [td]3.5[/td] [td]--[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]2[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]32[/td] [td]16.0[/td] [td]29[/td] [/tr][/table]

Oh well.

have fun with the 'football player' GB.

I sure do hate having one guy locking down a whole side of a field.

Woodson has made some huge plays this year, without a doubt. But he has also given up some big plays, as well. Revis, on the other hand, has consistently shut down the best WR's in the league.

Against Andre Johnson, Randy Moss (twice), Marques Colston, Terrell Owens (twice), Mike Sims-Walker, Steve Smith, Antonio Bryant, Roddy White, Reggie Wayne and Chad Ochocinco (twice), Revis allowed only a total of 36 catches for 339 yards and 2 TD's.

That's an average of 2.8 catches for 26 yards and 0.15 TD's per game, in 13 games against WR's that anyone would take on their fantasy team.

Peter King

It's hard to quantify defensive stats, but I like the way Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders thinks. He has built a database that illuminates some dark statistical positions. At cornerback, for instance, interceptions are often not the best measurement if the player is not being thrown at much. So Schatz keeps numbers on the other important stats for defensive backs - average yards allowed by team to No. 1 receivers (figuring that many corners will match up on the opposition's best wideout), average yards-after-the-catch allowed to opposing No. 1 receivers, and, to measure physicality, run tackles by cornerbacks.

In average yards allowed to top receivers, the Jets lead the league by a wide margin at 30.5 yards per game - and that's almost always been Revis' man. Washington (43.6), San Diego (44.5), Philadelphia (45.5) and Green Bay (48.5) follow. In average yards-after-the-catch, the Jets are first, at 2.6 yards, followed by Indy (2.9), Philadelphia (3.1), Denver (3.1) and Cincinnati (3.2). Woodson is second in cornerback run tackles with 35, while Revis is eighth with 20.

It'll probably be a close vote, but I'm leaning toward Revis. He's been matched against Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Marques Colston, Steve Smith, Roddy White and Reggie Wayne a total of seven times, and he hasn't allowed a 70-yard game. He's been the definition of shutdown corner. He combines wily coverage with a physical presence, and, at 24, there's not a young defensive player in football I'd take over him. Should be a good race.

Props to Chuck though he had a helluva year

I told yall Revis wouldn't get it because of his numbers
laugh.gif
Didnt believe me though.

Show me Nnamdi's trophy case... Ill wait.

Revis and Wood gonna be 1st team All-Pro though
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

Woodson has made some huge plays this year, without a doubt. But he has also given up some big plays, as well. Revis, on the other hand, has consistently shut down the best WR's in the league.

Against Andre Johnson, Randy Moss (twice), Marques Colston, Terrell Owens (twice), Mike Sims-Walker, Steve Smith, Antonio Bryant, Roddy White, Reggie Wayne and Chad Ochocinco (twice), Revis allowed only a total of 36 catches for 339 yards and 2 TD's.

That's an average of 2.8 catches for 26 yards and 0.15 TD's per game, in 13 games against WR's that anyone would take on their fantasy team.

Peter King

It's hard to quantify defensive stats, but I like the way Aaron Schatz of Football Outsiders thinks. He has built a database that illuminates some dark statistical positions. At cornerback, for instance, interceptions are often not the best measurement if the player is not being thrown at much. So Schatz keeps numbers on the other important stats for defensive backs - average yards allowed by team to No. 1 receivers (figuring that many corners will match up on the opposition's best wideout), average yards-after-the-catch allowed to opposing No. 1 receivers, and, to measure physicality, run tackles by cornerbacks.

In average yards allowed to top receivers, the Jets lead the league by a wide margin at 30.5 yards per game - and that's almost always been Revis' man. Washington (43.6), San Diego (44.5), Philadelphia (45.5) and Green Bay (48.5) follow. In average yards-after-the-catch, the Jets are first, at 2.6 yards, followed by Indy (2.9), Philadelphia (3.1), Denver (3.1) and Cincinnati (3.2). Woodson is second in cornerback run tackles with 35, while Revis is eighth with 20.

It'll probably be a close vote, but I'm leaning toward Revis. He's been matched against Andre Johnson, Randy Moss, Marques Colston, Steve Smith, Roddy White and Reggie Wayne a total of seven times, and he hasn't allowed a 70-yard game. He's been the definition of shutdown corner. He combines wily coverage with a physical presence, and, at 24, there's not a young defensive player in football I'd take over him. Should be a good race.

Props to Chuck though he had a helluva year

This is why I won't argue with Chargers fans talking about their tall no-name WRs

Does anyone have the "thrown to" stats handy? I'm pretty sure Nnamdi had a more dominant year last year than Revis did and didn't get theaward. Then again, Nnamdi didn't anchor the #1 defense in the league either
ohwell.gif

Grats to Woodson though, well deserved. A split wouldn't have been a bad idea either.

Back
Top Bottom