Chicago Bulls Season Thread 35-33 -- vs kings 3.21/3.23 vs knicks/3.24 knicks

That Chump Demarre Carroll tried to take Jimmy out, only for Jimmy to return and put numbers up against him.

After all that early struggle and drama...Bullies are second in the East. A lot of talk about dismantling the team, but i know we can make a run. A healthy Derrick playing like he was before missing games would help.

After all that early struggle and drama...Bullies are second in the East. A lot of talk about dismantling the team, but i know we can make a run. A healthy Derrick playing like he was before missing games would help.

i agree, but this all points back to the bulls mgmt never investing in another PG outside of rose. despite 3 seasons wasted we have aaron brooks and kirk hinrich. both are tolerable for 15 mins a game, but if they play a combined 40 mins you're just not going to win a tough playoff series.

i wonder which wing/combo guards are available via trade

Great run these past couple of nights, let's keep it up fellas :smokin

I tried to tell ya back in June, we got a STEAL with Bobby Portis! I remember texting Cold like "yoooo we just came off with Bobby Portis, can't believe he was still on the board!" :nthat:

Portis is nice... plays like a grown man already.

the worst pickup of the offseason for the bulls was vince goodwill, he makes nick friedell look like bob costas

i agree, but this all points back to the bulls mgmt never investing in another PG outside of rose. despite 3 seasons wasted we have aaron brooks and kirk hinrich. both are tolerable for 15 mins a game, but if they play a combined 40 mins you're just not going to win a tough playoff series.

i wonder which wing/combo guards are available via trade
Aaron would get more burn. 

The other night he played 40 minutes and that's when he got off for 30 points I believe. 

If the point guard spot still needs more player, Moore can be used at that spot as well. That's what Hoiberg has been doing when Rose first went out a couple games back. 

Available would be: Ben Mclemore; Terrence Ross; PJ Tucker .... 

Definitely a relief that Rose came back good on the MRI Scan. 

Tomorrow's game is against Milwaukee and it should be a good one. 

Debating if I should go to the January 12th game in Milwaukee.

I wanna see the whole squad play. 

I don't want anything to do with Mclemore, Ross, or Tucker :lol: .. that does absolutely nothing for us! If we plan on making a trade, get somebody that can come in and help right away.

That's right ^ 

Especially if the rumor of trading Taj AND Snell for Mclemore...., NAH

tucker is worse than nate as far as caring about shoes more than his game

mac can stay in sac any talks w/ sac should be for boogie or hang the phone up

ross isn't a killer & will get further exposed if he leave TO...don't want any parts of any of these dudes in a bulls uni

Any of em .

We good as is. If anything, let's get Shaun Livingston or Kendall marshal.

I actually like Mclemore and think he need a change of scenery. But I'm not willing to trade for him. Would much rather pick him up once his contract expires with Sac town.

I actually like Mclemore and think he need a change of scenery. But I'm not willing to trade for him. Would much rather pick him up once his contract expires with Sac town.
I think maclemore needs a chance of scenery also. Watch he leaves there and ball out. Great athletic shooter and can play D, he just needs a new team.

DR1 bak tonight vs the bucks :pimp:

Derrick Rose set to return for Bulls after missing last three games

After undergoing a precautionary MRI that came back negative on Monday, Chicago Bulls guard Derrick Rose will return to action against the Milwaukee Bucks on Tuesday.

Rose missed three games due to a sore hamstring and then had some slight pain in his right knee. But after participating in the team's shootaround on Tuesday, Bulls head coach Fred Hoiberg said that unless there is a setback during the day, Rose should be ready to play against the Bucks.

“He participated in shootaround today,'' Hoiberg told reporters after Tuesday's shootaround. “He feels really good this morning. So we'll kind of monitor him throughout the day and warm him up tonight and hopefully he'll be ready to go.

“Unless there's a setback. Still a little bit unsure if he has any type of soreness or if he wakes up with any type of swelling as the day goes on, we'll take the cautious approach. But it was good to see him out there at shootaround. He had his legs. Hopefully he'll be able to go.''

Chicago went 3-0 without Rose in the lineup, but before being injured the Bulls guard was playing some of his best basketball this season, scoring 19, 25 and 20 points in his last three games.

The Bulls have officially listed Rose as questionable against the Bucks and if he does play, will probably be on a minutes restriction. Chicago is being very cautious with Rose's health and longevity and don't want to risk him further injuring his hamstring and right knee.

Rack up another W :nthat:

I'm hoping we get these next 3...we need them to create a lil separation in the standings.
Time to get some payback from the C's.

View media item 1857956
CHICAGO — Bobby Portis fell into consistent playing time almost by accident, when the Chicago Bulls were at their lowest point. Now, he’s made it clear he’s not going anywhere.

All season, while the No. 22 pick in the 2015 NBA draft was waiting for his turn, Bulls coach Fred Hoiberg was adamant that Portis would play meaningful minutes at some point. It was just a matter of finding minutes in a crowded frontcourt rotation filled with veterans.

His opportunity came following the Bulls’ four-overtime loss to the Detroit Pistons on Dec. 18. It was the first of a back-to-back, so Hoiberg gave Pau Gasol the next night off in New York. That opened up room for Portis, and he responded with a 20-point, 11-rebound performance in just 23 minutes on the court.

The very next game, a loss at home to the Brooklyn Nets on Dec. 21, Joakim Noah suffered a shoulder injury that has kept him out the last two weeks and figures to sideline him for at least one more. A key injury like that isn’t an ideal way to make room for a rookie, but it got the job done, and Portis has been a consistent presence off the bench since.

View media item 1857957
“It's kind of crazy, actually,” Portis said. “Just the up-and-down scale of the whole season with me, being on the bench for the first 20 games, then being in the last five games, it's been crazy. It's a good opportunity for me, though. Just credit to the coaching staff and my teammates always having that trust in me to just go out there and play.”

During the early parts of the season, when Portis was glued to the end of the bench, his older teammates constantly told him the same thing all rookies are told: Just stay ready.

“Bobby’s work ethic is never going to change,” Hoiberg said. “He’s one of those kids, whether he’s playing 48 minutes or no minutes, he’s going to prepare the same way. He’s going to go out there and get his work in; he’s going to get in the weight room, get that extra work.”

In the nine games since he started playing regular minutes, Portis is averaging 10.1 points and 6.9 rebounds in 21 minutes per game while shooting 48.7 percent from the field. The stretch has included a pair of 16-point performances in wins over the Indiana Pacers and New York Knicks, and in the latter game, he shot 2-of-3 from three-point range.

View media item 1857958
His impact has been especially evident on the glass. In that nine-game stretch, the Bulls have rebounded significantly better with Portis on the floor. According to NBA.com, they grab 55.4 percent of all available rebounds when he’s on the court and just 48.9 percent when he’s on the bench.

Portis’ emergence poses a good—but very real—problem for Hoiberg and the coaching staff. Once Noah returns to the lineup, Hoiberg will have to shuffle the deck again to make sure everyone gets enough minutes. Portis has made it impossible not to keep him as a permanent fixture in the rotation.

“We’re going to continue to find minutes for Bobby,” Hoiberg said Friday. “There’s no doubt about it. He’s been playing too well. He’s playing with so much confidence. He rebounds the ball so well. He plays with a toughness and a swagger, and that’s what you want. Bobby’s not going to back down from anybody, and he continues to show that night after night.”

It’s not going to be easy. Between Noah, Gasol, Taj Gibson and Nikola Mirotic, Chicago doesn't have a lot of excess minutes to go around up front.

During the Bulls’ tumultuous mid-December stretch, trading one of the veteran big men made sense because of the desperate need for wing help. Now, in the midst of a five-game winning streak, such a trade would make sense to create the rotation space Portis has earned over the past two weeks, when he’s blown teammates away with his energy and consistency.

“My first time seeing him work out in the gym, I knew he was going to be dangerous,” Derrick Rose said Tuesday night following the Bulls’ 117-106 win over the Milwaukee Bucks. “He’s got that swag. He’s got that attitude, that confidence with him. And for a rookie, that’s huge. You never know how good he can become.”

Rose wasn’t the only Bulls player to use the “swag” descriptor for Portis’ brash, uncompromising style of play.

View media item 1857959
“He’s talented,” Jimmy Butler said. “When he’s out there playing, the swag’s really high and I think everybody likes that. That’s what you expect from him. But he plays his game like a vet. He knows his role, he knows what he’s supposed to do and he’s confident.”

The words of Portis’ teammates and coach are nice for the rookie to hear, and it’s possible the Bulls make a move before the trade deadline to free up more minutes for him. But Portis knows that getting on the court is only half the battle.

Now that he’s earned minutes, the next step is to keep them.

“It means nothing,” Portis said of his expanded role. “I’ve still got to come to work every day and work as hard as I can to get better, and I still have to come in and earn my stripes. That’s something I like about the Bulls; they don’t just put rookies out there. They make you earn your keep, and that’s something I’ve always tried to do, earn everything that’s given to me.”

Rotation-caliber big men are hard to come by, especially ones who are ready to contribute as rookies. Now that the Bulls know what they have in Portis, they have no choice but to make sure he’s a piece of their core for the long haul.

“He’s a good one,” Hoiberg said. “He’s one of those kids that’s fun to coach because he’s physical, he loves a challenge, he doesn’t back down from anybody and he’s only 20 years old. He’s got an extremely bright future. We’re lucky to have him.”

Last edited:
Even Derrick Rose is acknowledging that Jimmy Butler has reached elite status

It wasn’t 40 points in a half, but it was still a cold-blooded performance.

Thanks to 32 points and tying a career-high with 10 assists on Tuesday night, Jimmy Butler again put the Bulls on his shoulders and carried them to the 117-106 win over the Milwaukee Bucks.

It was not only the fifth-consecutive win for the Bulls (21-12), but the third-straight game in which Butler led them in scoring.

“It means I’m playing with some pretty good players that can put the ball in the basket,’’ Butler said in trying to down-play his latest showing. “When you play with guys that can put the ball in the basket, a lot of guys that are probably better than I am at it, they’ve got to guard them. I got the easy job. I’m open so I just put the ball in the basket.’’

He’s doing more than that.

Butler talked a tough game a few weeks back, not only about his role as leader – self-appointed or not – but also calling out Fred Hoiberg about coaching the team “harder.’’

Since then, Butler’s been walking the walk.

“Absolutely I think Jimmy has reached elite status in this league,’’ Hoiberg said of Butler. “He’s such a complete player. It’s a testament to what he does in the offseason. He just continues to add new elements to his game.

“He was in [the practice facility] at 8 AM [Tuesday] morning getting shots up. And he’s never satisfied. And I think that’s the true sign of a superstar, when you continue to work when you have success.’’

Even with a source telling the Sun-Times last week that the Derrick Rose camp hasn’t been happy with Butler’s hostile takeover to be the face of the franchise/leader, even Rose was finding it hard not to acknowledge Butler’s elite status.

“Yeah, I think so,’’ Rose said, when asked after the game if he agreed with Hoiberg’s assessment. “The way he’s playing, the patience he’s playing with. Youi can just tell the game is slowing down for him, especially when he’s playing pick-and-roll.

“It’s fun to see, exciting. I’m happy for him. For a player like him to come into the league, and for him to improve the way he’s improving, and being on my team. Like it’s good. I don’t really have to do too much when I’m out there because he’s taking great shots and he’s making the right plays.’’

Rose was just glad to be back on the court, returning to the starting lineup after missing the last three games with right hamstring tendinitis and soreness in the knee area.

There was definitely a bit of rust for Rose, who had put together his best three-game stretch of the season right before the hamstring acted up, but he still managed to score 16 points on 8-for-17 shooting.

What has become obvious this week, however, were the different paths for both Rose and Butler moving forward.

While Butler continues to pile up the workload between games to cover-up weaknesses in his game, Rose continued to insist that he will back off an extra workload between games, with this latest injury showing him that he was pushing himself too hard.

Understandable, especially considering the injuries that have plagued Rose since 2012, but again, another reason why it’s been easier for many in the organization to embrace Butler and his climb to stardom.

“I was a little disappointed in Jimmy,’’ Hoiberg joked afterward. “Coming out of the gate and only going for 20 [in the first half].’’

That Pau Jimmy lob 
pimp.gif

Middleton and MCW seemed like they couldn't miss 
indifferent.gif

D.Rose starting round out to form 
pimp.gif

Offense starting to click
smokin.gif

When Jo and Dun come back, we'll be dangerous 
smokin.gif

Oh yeah most importantly, 5th straight win! Time to get revenge on the Celtics! 
pimp.gif

" source telling the Sun-Times last week that the Derrick Rose camp hasn’t been happy with Butler’s hostile takeover to be the face of the franchise/leader, even Rose was finding it hard not to acknowledge Butler’s elite status"

When has Pooh not supported Jimmy being great? I'd really like to know this? Every interview he's publicly supported/stated how proud he was of him. Hell I remember prior to him becoming good last year, Pooh saying that he doesn't even know how good he can be yet.

The man went out and bought the man an expensive *** designer watch for being voted an all star... What more can he do to show he supports him? The article was written to say you should put your support behind Jimmy and not Derrick, I'm really really tired of this rhetoric. They want them to be divided :smh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom