Chicago Murder Rate Up 37% from Last yr: Enlist 3rd Party Group to Stem Murder Rate

Originally Posted by BishopStrongBow

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

....And Summer JUST started.

These are just the murder numbers... 4 got killed and 24 wounded last weekend... Imagine if these kids had good aim.... :smh
Exactly g.
And once the Taste starts 
sick.gif
sick.gif

Maaan...

I'm not even going to The Taste this year...Nor have I went the previous 2 years.

They're not doing the Fireworks show every night anymore, right?... I'll just watch it from my apt
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

This + random acts of violence everywhere. How does everyone feel about conceal and carry?? I feel like I need an AK every time I pass that McDonald's on Chicago and State.
lmao, why that area though? very busy, always packed.

A lot of factors play into murder rates, including (but not limited to) poverty rate, concentration of poverty, unemployment, racial segregation, availability of low-income housing, the amount of public housing concentrated in specific areas, the history of gangs and organized crime, how the city responds to gangs and crime, the racial and economic composition of the city, etc.

Excellent post.

Also, DC's murder rate (21.9) is higher than both Philly's (20.1) and Chicago's (16) and has been since at least 1985 (check out the FBI's Uniform Crime Report's data table creator).  Don't let the raw number of murders and publicity fool you.  Chicago has a tremendous amount of murders but compared to other cities, it's not "that bad" overall, although the murder rates in certain communities are astronomical.

I hear you and am with you on the part about not being fooled by the publicity on a certain story, but to me the raw numbes are the part that matter the most, not the percentage.  Percentages are just a number that can be made to throw person's mind off of the actuality of a certain case or category.  The raw numbers are the final say so or the bottomline in any situation.

Originally Posted by Deuce King

A lot of factors play into murder rates, including (but not limited to) poverty rate, concentration of poverty, unemployment, racial segregation, availability of low-income housing, the amount of public housing concentrated in specific areas, the history of gangs and organized crime, how the city responds to gangs and crime, the racial and economic composition of the city, etc.

Excellent post.

Also, DC's murder rate (21.9) is higher than both Philly's (20.1) and Chicago's (16) and has been since at least 1985 (check out the FBI's Uniform Crime Report's data table creator).  Don't let the raw number of murders and publicity fool you.  Chicago has a tremendous amount of murders but compared to other cities, it's not "that bad" overall, although the murder rates in certain communities are astronomical.

I hear you and am with you on the part about not being fooled by the publicity on a certain story, but to me the raw numbes are the part that matter the most, not the percentage.  Percentages are just a number that can be made to throw person's mind off of the actuality of a certain case or category.  The raw numbers are the final say so or the bottomline in any situation.

No doubt raw numbers are important but rates allow you to make relevant comparisons across different locations and at various time points as they control for differences in population size.  For example, in 2010, 308 people were murdered in Detroit while 536 people were murdered in New York City.  By those sheer numbers, New York would appear to be a much more "violent" or "dangerous" place.

However, given that New York's population is more than 10 times larger than Detroit's, this conclusion would be ultimately wrong and these numbers would be misleading as Detroit's murder rate per 100,000 persons is 43.4, compared to a rate of 6.6 for New York.  Thus, relatively speaking (and this is relative) a person is more than six times more likely to be the victim of homicide in Detroit than they would be in New York.

These are just the murder numbers... 4 got killed and 24 wounded last weekend... Imagine if these kids had good aim.... :smh
Exactly g.
And once the Taste starts 
sick.gif
sick.gif

Maaan...

I'm not even going to The Taste this year...Nor have I went the previous 2 years.

They're not doing the Fireworks show every night anymore, right?... I'll just watch it from my apt
laugh.gif
They cut the fireworks off period I believe. They'll do em at Navy Pier but not the taste I think..
I'm staying far away from there, last time I went is when buddy got shot like a block away from where I was at by the Red Line. 

Originally Posted by red mpls

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Excellent post.

No doubt raw numbers are important but rates allow you to make relevant comparisons across different locations and at various time points as they control for differences in population size.  For example, in 2010, 308 people were murdered in Detroit while 536 people were murdered in New York City.  By those sheer numbers, New York would appear to be a much more "violent" or "dangerous" place.

However, given that New York's population is more than 10 times larger than Detroit's, this conclusion would be ultimately wrong and these numbers would be misleading as Detroit's murder rate per 100,000 persons is 43.4, compared to a rate of 6.6 for New York.  Thus, relatively speaking (and this is relative) a person is more than six times more likely to be the victim of homicide in Detroit than they would be in New York.

Once again, very good post and excellent example for the point that you made.  I will just say to me and me only the overall point in just about anything is the bottomline so with that being said more people were murdered in New York versus the number of murders in Detroit in 2010.  Not saying which city is better or worse given those nubmers of course. 

If they had good aim bystanders wouldn't get caught with strays.  

My mans just got shot last Thursday/Early Friday Morning on Rush basically a block away from Michigan Ave.

Dude, pulled up and asked what he was, and pulled out with no hesitation and gave my dude 2 in the ribs.

If you can't go downtown anymore without worrying about getting checked and busted at, where can we go?

I been lowkey this summer, D's and Cobras going at it by my hood cause the D's killed a 19 yr old Cobra cold blooded in the dome... It;s ugly out here

eek.gif

that's crazy ... i'm always around there when i go to chi ... i usually go 1 to 2x a year ...

like someone said ... they're trying alternatives ... this has to stop ... it's out of control

Originally Posted by ireminisce

This + random acts of violence everywhere. How does everyone feel about conceal and carry?? I feel like I need an AK every time I pass that McDonald's on Chicago and State.
Bunch of junkies and dumb kids looking for trouble. Place is full of random acts of violence.

Also Clark/Division is just
sick.gif

Bunch of junkies and dumb kids looking for trouble. Place is full of random acts of violence.

sick.gif

you're trolling---those are 2 of the safest parts of the whole city

dudes are gonna just kill eachother until extinction.. its never gonna end.

not worth living in these places imo.. too much of a risk of getting killed for no damn reason.

Originally Posted by Used2playKobeNowiPlayLebron

sick.gif

you're trolling---those are 2 of the safest parts of the whole city
laugh.gif
word there's nothing scary about those 2 intersections

Diclaimer: Im not there late at night

I think it's safe to say that if neighborhoods want this to stop, they need to start giving up info on what's going on around their backyards. The only way to make a difference is to keep the law enforcement informed about the notorious activitites taking place and who's doing what. Snitching and actively participating with the police as a neighborhood is the only way to stop this vicious cycle of voiolence in the hood. People must cooperate with the police so the police won't continue to point fingers at the wrong people and make wrongful assumptions about every young man living there.

sick.gif

My dude... Everytime I walk thru by that McDonalds I STAY on high alert. Walk with one hand balled in a fist already, so close to Michigan ave yet theres nothing but hypes and clucks out there, it's crazy.
For the cats that say he's trolling about that area, he's not trust me. Might not be no bodies getting caught, but it aint the safest neighborhood. Nothing but bassheads out by the MCDZ, and across the street by the other Red Line entrance by the liquor store, I used to work at NT Chi, and would have to walk thru there, it's ugly, used to park by Chicago and Sedgwick since its free parking when I would drive to work.....
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

It's just a way of life, Chi cats walk through the city with a different mentality, every body's on alert. My little bro is the OPPOSITE of me, not into kicks, not street smart really, stays  out of trouble and is real preppy,  he doesn't know whats what as far as the gang life except for around the neighborhoods we grew up in and our family members, and someone tried to press him asking him what he was on a month ago, I mean, my lil bro rocks skinny's and loafers and is the most Non-Puerto Rican, Puerto Rican that I know  
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  why come at him when hes just minding his own walking home from the bus stop? it's just crazy man. 
tired.gif
tired.gif

Oh, and a 7 year old girl was killed yesterday while selling Lemonade on the West Side.

One gang member was walking past her while a car drove by with someone in the opposite gang and they opened fire..

Ns is BRAINLESS

I always wanted to go to Chi town.

But. no, no... Ill just stay here. If I wanna get clapped I'd just go to East NY. Thx.

It seems like for those in Chicago murder is just the thing to do. When all other resources have either been exhausted or untapped, murder remains as the thing to do. It's sickening really because a lot of these kids will never know the joy of reading a book for pleasure, going to the art museum, visiting a play or musical, or how it feels to be able to sit there and have no worries and that be enough.

I feel bad for them and I wish something can quell the violence, but I know that it won't. There are just those containers in place that keeps perpetuating the violence. There is a civil war in the streets that can't even begin to rival that of the body and mind. I hope CeaseFire or anyone can get through to some of these cats and teach them accountability for their actions and that killing isn't something you do because you want to, or because you were raised around banging. That there is a way out, only if you take a stand for peace.

It's going to take a lot of break through all of the muck and grime and mine out all of those social problems that have plagued this country for too long. But an attempt must be made.

Dont you know how when it rains it's always a few people that don't even try to run.... that's how it was a few weeks ago when #!+%+% started shooting at the park by the 3rd shot I was pulling off while #!+%+% was pimp walking to there cars

!%%% won't change until body's start dropping downtown more often until then stay out them hot zones

sick.gif

My dude... Everytime I walk thru by that McDonalds I STAY on high alert. Walk with one hand balled in a fist already, so close to Michigan ave yet theres nothing but hypes and clucks out there, it's crazy.
For the cats that say he's trolling about that area, he's not trust me. Might not be no bodies getting caught, but it aint the safest neighborhood. Nothing but bassheads out by the MCDZ, and across the street by the other Red Line entrance by the liquor store, I used to work at NT Chi, and would have to walk thru there, it's ugly, used to park by Chicago and Sedgwick since its free parking when I would drive to work.....
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

It's just a way of life, Chi cats walk through the city with a different mentality, every body's on alert. My little bro is the OPPOSITE of me, not into kicks, not street smart really, stays  out of trouble and is real preppy,  he doesn't know whats what as far as the gang life except for around the neighborhoods we grew up in and our family members, and someone tried to press him asking him what he was on a month ago, I mean, my lil bro rocks skinny's and loafers and is the most Non-Puerto Rican, Puerto Rican that I know  
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
  why come at him when hes just minding his own walking home from the bus stop? it's just crazy man. 
tired.gif
tired.gif

i passed by that mcdonald's every day going to work on michigan ave & never found it to be sketchy.. interesting. although, isn't it silly to bring up chicago/state & division/clark in comparison to the south side or west side?

Back
Top Bottom