Christianity and Conservatism

First of all I'd like to point out that I'm a Christian and politically I consider myself very liberal.

I was having a conversation with my girl about this topic and it got me thinking about conservative christians in this country. Christianity and conservatismgo hand in hand but if you really think about it, it doesn't make any sense. To me, being liberal is more Christian than being conservative. A significantportion of christian conservatives, especially in the south strike me as racist people who don't like diversity, and constantly bash homosexuality. Theycome off as very narrow minded people who think their way is the right way and everybody else is wrong. As a Christian, to me that's very upsetting. We asChristians aren't supposed judge and are supposed to accept everybody regardless or race, sex, income level, religion, sexual orientation, and I don'tfeel that a lot of these "Christian Conservatives" are doing that. To ME, to be Christian is to be open-minded and be the complete opposite of whatsome of these people preach.

Anyway this discussion is obviously open to everybody but please, if you're not Christian or don't believe in god, don't use this thread to startthat debate..Thanks..

they really didnt go hand and hand until around the 70s and 80s when conservatives needed a new group to reach out to which is what politics is all about

Watch The Blind Side.

Entire movie is like an ad for Christianity and conservatism.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Pics of her?

of my obese hairy neighbor?
laugh.gif

But anyways while most Christians are socially conservative, yet the Christian newspaper I get is fiscally liberal.

Being a conservative and a Christian kind of go hand in hand in today's world. I don't agree with everything they believe but this is America and theyare entitled to there opinions.

As a conservative I don't associate religion with my beliefs. I wish more conservatives did this as well. Sickening how much control Christianity has onthe Right.

In statistics, a spurious relationship (or, sometimes, spurious correlation or spurious regression) is a mathematical relationship in which two occurrences have no causal connection, yet it may be inferred that they do, due to a certain third, unseen factor (referred to as a "confounding factor" or "lurking variable"). The spurious relationship gives an impression of a worthy link between two groups that is invalid when objectively examined.

First of all I'd like to point out that I'm a Christian and politically I consider myself very liberal.

I was having a conversation with my obese hairy neighbor about this topic and it got me thinking about conservative christians in this country. Christian and conservatism go hand in hand but if you really think about it, it doesn't make any sense. To me, being liberal is more Christian than being conservative. A significant portion of christian conservatives, especially in the south strike me as narrow minded, racist people who don't like diversity, and are constantly bash homosexuality. They come off as very narrow minded people who think their way is the right way and everybody else is wrong. As a Christian, to me that's very upsetting. We as Christians aren't supposed judge and are supposed to accept everybody regardless or race, sex, income level, religion, sexual orientation, and I don't feel that a lot of these "Christian Conservatives" are doing that. To ME, to be Christian is to be open-minded and be the complete opposite of what some of these people preach.

Anyway this discussion is obviously open to everybody but please, if you're not Christian or don't believe in god, don't use this thread to start that debate..Thanks..
So much irony in this one sentence alone it's not even funny.

Originally Posted by trey ohh five

Anyway this discussion is obviously open to everybody but please, if you're not Christian or don't believe in god, don't use this thread to start that debate..Thanks..

He just said stay on topic so as to not make it an atheist vs Christian thread.

Christianity, is by its nature a conservative religion. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or ignore, the Bible is clear about how God feels abouthomosexuals, and things like abortion especially in the old testament. Yeah, modern or new testament christian ideology is accept those types of people andissues, but only to try and reform and convert them in same sense. When I see gay people that are Christians, its just sad because they clearly aren'treading their bibles or refuse to acknowledge that it condemns homosexuality. I'm not a christian anymore but I used to be and I am versed in the christiandoctrine.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Originally Posted by trey ohh five

He just said stay on topic so as to not make it an atheist vs Christian thread.

Yes sir..

Originally Posted by Cz7

Christianity, is by its nature a conservative religion. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or ignore, the Bible is clear about how God feels about homosexuals, and things like abortion especially in the old testament. Yeah, modern or new testament christian ideology is accept those types of people and issues, but only to try and reform and convert them in same sense. When I see gay people that are Christians, its just sad because they clearly aren't reading their bibles or refuse to acknowledge that it condemns homosexuality. I'm not a christian anymore but I used to be and I am versed in the christian doctrine.
So gay people that believe in God, were raised Catholic, and want to attend church just shouldn't? And they're not reading their Bibles?Come on man, anyone who wants can enter God's house. Jesus invited tax collectors, criminals, homeless people, prostitutes, you name it. People need tostop clinging to this outdated text.

I was having a conversation with my obese hairy neighbor about this topic and it got me thinking about conservative christians in this country. Christian and conservatism go hand in hand but if you really think about it, it doesn't make any sense. To me, being liberal is more Christian than being conservative. A significant portion of christian conservatives, especially in the south strike me as narrow minded, racist people who don't like diversity, and are constantly bash homosexuality. They come off as very narrow minded people who think their way is the right way and everybody else is wrong. As a Christian, to me that's very upsetting. We as Christians aren't supposed judge and are supposed to accept everybody regardless or race, sex, income level, religion, sexual orientation, and I don't feel that a lot of these "Christian Conservatives" are doing that. To ME, to be Christian is to be open-minded and be the complete opposite of what some of these people preach.
And they 1. think God and America go hand in hand 2. homeschool their kids to further brainwash them 3. are literally trying to force everyoneelse to be like them. I've got a lot of those types at my college, and man do I disagree with their style.

Originally Posted by sonunox34

Originally Posted by Cz7

Christianity, is by its nature a conservative religion. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or ignore, the Bible is clear about how God feels about homosexuals, and things like abortion especially in the old testament. Yeah, modern or new testament christian ideology is accept those types of people and issues, but only to try and reform and convert them in same sense. When I see gay people that are Christians, its just sad because they clearly aren't reading their bibles or refuse to acknowledge that it condemns homosexuality. I'm not a christian anymore but I used to be and I am versed in the christian doctrine.
So gay people that believe in God, were raised Catholic, and want to attend church just shouldn't? And they're not reading their Bibles? Come on man, anyone who wants can enter God's house. Jesus invited tax collectors, criminals, homeless people, prostitutes, you name it. People need to stop clinging to this outdated text.

And they 1. think God and America go hand in hand 2. homeschool their kids to further brainwash them 3. are literally trying to force everyone else to be like them. I've got a lot of those types at my college, and man do I disagree with their style.

So you're saying that they should continue to believe in a religion that tells them they are heading to hell with a first class ticket? YesJesus invited all those kinds of people, but to convert them so they wouldnt do that anymore. And yes they clearly arent reading their bible or choosing toignore it, plain and simple it says it in the bible. Like I said I'm not a christian, im just telling you how it is.

While working on my PhD in political science, much of what I have found and what the literature and history suggests is that Christiantiy and Conservatism havebeen interelated in American Society since the first settlers arrived from England. They labled the type of political thought and activity asPuritansim/European Conservatism. Due to the heiarchical structure of the social and politcal systems in Europe and the types of roles that the citizens insociety played, everyone had a role and it was understood from birth. So if your dad was a locksmith then you were automatically born into that class and soforth. Kings gave birth to Princes who then went on to become Kings and so politics were sturctured like that with those at the top calling the shots. Littleor no government intervention was present and people accepted it. Puritans, which were kinda viewed as radicals due to their strong religious beliefs, movedover to the new country to further express thier Christain beliefs and so they used politics to keep everyone in line and those who disagreed were sanctioned.They kinda felt like those who didnt spend every minute of their day worshiping God was in fact corrupt and alienated (driven by the devil). They looked downon the use of too much government intervention into the everyday functioning of society and were highly judgemental of those who they felt were not 100 percentdevoted to worshiping God. This is where the foundation of Conservatism and Christiantiy lies within our country's history. It has just evolved into whatwe know it as today. Even back then, those who worhsiped God the most were the most judgemental. Take a look at the Salem Witch Trials and it explains it alot.

Originally Posted by Cz7

Originally Posted by Cz7

So gay people that believe in God, were raised Catholic, and want to attend church just shouldn't? And they're not reading their Bibles? Come on man, anyone who wants can enter God's house. Jesus invited tax collectors, criminals, homeless people, prostitutes, you name it. People need to stop clinging to this outdated text.

And they 1. think God and America go hand in hand 2. homeschool their kids to further brainwash them 3. are literally trying to force everyone else to be like them. I've got a lot of those types at my college, and man do I disagree with their style.
So you're saying that they should continue to believe in a religion that tells them they are heading to hell with a first class ticket? Yes Jesus invited all those kinds of people, but to convert them so they wouldnt do that anymore. And yes they clearly arent reading their bible or choosing to ignore it, plain and simple it says it in the bible. Like I said I'm not a christian, im just telling you how it is.

The Bible says a lot of things... you know that. I'm not Christian either (or gay), but Jesus' teachings in the purest sense is that Godloves those that treat others with kindness and respect. Gay people aren't hurting anyone, they are a great part of society and an example of our freedomto express ourselves. I guess it depends if you think homosexuality is a choice... I personally believe that it is not something you can turn on or off, so Ibelieve that Jesus would accept you as gay. This is 2010, not 10 A.D.... should we go with the Bible's remarks about animal sacrifice and foreskin removalas well?

Originally Posted by Cz7

Originally Posted by Cz7

So you're saying that they should continue to believe in a religion that tells them they are heading to hell with a first class ticket? Yes Jesus invited all those kinds of people, but to convert them so they wouldnt do that anymore. And yes they clearly arent reading their bible or choosing to ignore it, plain and simple it says it in the bible. Like I said I'm not a christian, im just telling you how it is.
The Bible says a lot of things... you know that. I'm not Christian either (or gay), but Jesus' teachings in the purest sense is that God loves those that treat others with kindness and respect. Gay people aren't hurting anyone, they are a great part of society and an example of our freedom to express ourselves. I guess it depends if you think homosexuality is a choice... I personally believe that it is not something you can turn on or off, so I believe that Jesus would accept you as gay. This is 2010, not 10 A.D.... should we go with the Bible's remarks about animal sacrifice and foreskin removal as well?

I agree..

The Bible says a lot of things... you know that. I'm not Christian either (or gay), but Jesus' teachings in the purest sense is that God loves those that treat others with kindness and respect. Gay people aren't hurting anyone, they are a great part of society and an example of our freedom to express ourselves. I guess it depends if you think homosexuality is a choice... I personally believe that it is not something you can turn on or off, so I believe that Jesus would accept you as gay. This is 2010, not 10 A.D.... should we go with the Bible's remarks about animal sacrifice and foreskin removal as well?

Believe me bro I agree with you. There is no reason gay people should treatly differently than heterosexual people. Of course we shouldn't gowith the bible's remarks about animal sacrifice or any other practice.

But if you call yourself a Christian (not you, speaking generally) and believe that you can be gay and still be adhering to your religion correctly andrighteously then you are simply missing something or are very ignorant about what the bible says about homosexuality. This is from the new testament

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NIV): "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God?Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters, nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nordrunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

So sure you can be gay and be a christian, but you're essentially doing it all for nothing because you can'tget into heaven anyway.

Surely you get my point?

so why throw that part of of the bible out because that kind of thinking is outdated but keep the virgin birth, crucifixion, and resurrection.\

Originally Posted by loxley4life

While working on my PhD in political science, much of what I have found and what the literature and history suggests is that Christiantiy and Conservatism have been interelated in American Society since the first settlers arrived from England. They labled the type of political thought and activity as Puritansim/European Conservatism. Due to the heiarchical structure of the social and politcal systems in Europe and the types of roles that the citizens in society played, everyone had a role and it was understood from birth. So if your dad was a locksmith then you were automatically born into that class and so forth. Kings gave birth to Princes who then went on to become Kings and so politics were sturctured like that with those at the top calling the shots. Little or no government intervention was present and people accepted it. Puritans, which were kinda viewed as radicals due to their strong religious beliefs, moved over to the new country to further express thier Christain beliefs and so they used politics to keep everyone in line and those who disagreed were sanctioned. They kinda felt like those who didnt spend every minute of their day worshiping God was in fact corrupt and alienated (driven by the devil). They looked down on the use of too much government intervention into the everyday functioning of society and were highly judgemental of those who they felt were not 100 percent devoted to worshiping God. This is where the foundation of Conservatism and Christiantiy lies within our country's history. It has just evolved into what we know it as today. Even back then, those who worhsiped God the most were the most judgemental. Take a look at the Salem Witch Trials and it explains it alot.
O'RLY?

Rule by divine right
Catholic theocracy
Harldy any legislative representation
Little, if any concept, of private property
Scarcely any land tenure rights
no economic rights
capricious taxation,
indentured servitude
manorialism
fuedalism
Hardly and habeus corpus laws

Specifically when and where are you talking about?

Yeah I never understood how they call themselves Christians and yet, they do and promote some of the most un-Christian things. Why is bigotry and not helpingthe poor or humans in general promoted?

Back
Top Bottom