COLLEGE: Baruch business student needs advice about future

Currently I am an upper freshman at Baruch and I recently finished my 1[sup]st[/sup] semester at Baruch. I have a3.8 GPA. I did not particularly like Baruch at first but I have learnt how to deal. I commute every day fromQueens for about an hour to an hour and a half.

Basically, I am concerned about my career and future and would like to do anything possible in order to give me a leg up (Haven'tdecided on major but possibly Finance). Would a transfer be worth it, to say NYU Stern, if accepted? I would liketo stay around the city in order to work and intern at the best places possible. I probably won't apply for Fall 09 because I havebeen told colleges look at your high school grades (if transferring within your first year) and my high school grades and test scores weren't that great(91 weighted and 1630 SAT total).

I'm highly motivated and I'll do whatever I have to do if it concerns the well being of my future. Thisquestion has come to me because I realized I don't want to get screwed over by other guys (the Ivies, NYU's, Columbia's, Fordham CBA's) whenthe time to get a job comes.

So is it worth the trouble to apply to NYU Stern, say in my 2[sup]nd[/sup] year, or stay at Baruch, and possibly attempt to graduate withHonors.

Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

No stay @ Baruch. They got some amazing contacts for business.
Went to City for a year because I didn't wanna go to Ithaca, and if I didn't get into my current school, I was going to Baruch
Accounting major btw.

P.S. You can do MBA school @ NYU

Concentrate on keepin ya gpa up u are a upper freshman u got plenty of time to work out the specifics but if finance is what u wanna do then u gotta staythere....for the amt u pay u are gettin a top notch education since it is the best cuny business school...like oh girl said they have great contacts...mostbusinesses look to baruch for interns. I kno a few dudes wit
grin.gif
gpa's that got internships that led to 80k jobs...my best friend graduated a yr ago andupon graduation got a very good job at a pretty big bank...stick it out, it will pay off in the end

My advice to you would be to transfer if you can to a better business school. A good business school Top 40 I think in the country is SUNY Binghamton, its alsothe best buy according to its tution price & out of school job/internship ratio for business. I mean it dosnt hurt to apply to big name schools likeCornell and NYU but they do come with hefty tution costs. What I plan on doing is graduating from SUNY Binghamton class of 2012
pimp.gif
and, try to get into oneof those schools mentioned above for graduate and try to have a company i hopefully will be working for pay for my masters degree. But your worst case scenariois you continue on doing well at Baruach which is a pretty good business school and graduate at the top of your class. But as far as getting your foot in thedoor as a freshmen at Binghamton I already have an paid internship lined up over the summer with an business authority of the town of hempstead in Long Island
pimp.gif

thanks. i don't think i could ever go out as far as bing plus i like the fact that i have the possibility of interning in the city if i wanted to.

Originally Posted by Mr James To U

My advice to you would be to transfer if you can to a better business school.

Aww silly child, Baruch is one of the top Business schools in the NATION, anyway stay in Baruch kid, I graduated from there in 2004 in June and found a job inMiami 2 months later, I mean you cant lose when you come out there if you plan on working in NYC. Everyone whos everyone knows about Baruch in NYC.

Originally Posted by gambit215

Originally Posted by Mr James To U

My advice to you would be to transfer if you can to a better business school.

Aww silly child, Baruch is one of the top Business schools in the NATION, anyway stay in Baruch kid, I graduated from there in 2004 in June and found a job in Miami 2 months later, I mean you cant lose when you come out there if you plan on working in NYC. Everyone whos everyone knows about Baruch in NYC.

If you can, why not go to a better school I dont understand. Baruch is a good school, but why not transfer to a better school if he can and can afford it.There are a couple better business schools then Baruch in NY so why not apply, he really has nothing to lose but the applications fees, and sometimes you caneven get them payed for, from finacial aid.

I'm currently a senior. Stay at Baruch. If you can keep up your grades, you should be good. I know a few people who have a 3.8 or around it and they havebeen able to get a lot of opportunities with internships and programs that definately will help out with getting a career position. Save the money and the timedealing with NYU and just get your masters from there. Plus a lot of companies come to baruch looking for students.

I'm currently a senior. Stay at Baruch. If you can keep up your grades, you should be good. I know a few people who have a 3.8 or around it and they havebeen able to get a lot of opportunities with internships and programs that definately will help out with getting a career position. Save the money and the timedealing with NYU and just get your masters from there. Plus a lot of companies come to baruch looking for students.

So any suggestions on what to do to improve my chances and such for the future? Anything I should pursue or accomplish?

Baruch is a very good business school, however NYU is much better. You probably will get more opportunities from recruiters if you were in Stern. I wasdeciding if I should go to baruch or University at Buffalo. I went with UB cause its far away from home and its a better business school here. If I were youand was in taht situation, I would definitely try to transfer to NYU if i could

This is a general question. but besides say monster/careerbuilder, how do you guys find jobs outside of your area. I really need help.

At baruch, just go to the career development center. Also try to get into programs like inroads etc. They should really help you get into a good career. A lotof top firms and companies go to these programs to find future employees.

It's not as simple as you think. Graduating from Stern doesn't guarantee better jobs and better pay than if you were to graduate from Baruch. None ofmy Stern-graduated friends have "better" jobs than my Baruch-graduated friends. If you work hard and set a foundation with internships andnetworking, you'll do just fine. My Baruch pals hold down good jobs at reputable companies. In fact, two of my pals (one a Baruch-grad and the other fromStern) work in the same firm in similar teams, with similar pay and job duties. I'm not saying the playing-field is even (because it's not; some firmshave ties with Stern and look for spots within each graduating class), but graduating from Baruch doesn't mean you'll have a mediocre job.

Another thing to think about is the tuition; Staying in Baruch will save you over $70k in loans. Not having to pay that off ten years down the line will behuge.

lulzzzz talking like stern is a easy option when picking a college. Like I can just choose!!!! to go there.

If I were you... I get my GPA up, go to UCLA, AND HAVE FUN. you wildin' wiht all that bs. You too worked up.

Undergraduate aint that serious. You can talk your way into any job. Get some peopel skills, thast something you'll never learn from school.

i know transferring to stern isn't a joke. i'm just using stern as the best school that i'd like to attend the most.

and btw, my dad doesn't want me going away so schools out of state are out of the question. in fact, he doesn't know that i want to transfer oranything.
he didn't even want me to go to baruch because he thought that was far. he told me i should stay by home and go to queens college.

Back
Top Bottom