College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

Smmfh @ scheduling a visit to UVA
smh.gif
indifferent.gif
smh.gif
indifferent.gif
smh.gif
indifferent.gif
smh.gif
indifferent.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Malcom Lee growing into a SF; again how tall is he now LOL

im pretty sure i read some where 6'5-6'6 and in highschool he was told he would be 6'7

If Hairston doesn't verbal anywhere and visits again for Midnight Madness..

I like our chances.

Duke fans NEED them to verbal when they visit.
So now it's "in a few weeks" when they'll commit to Duke. I seem to remember this timeline:

1. Hairston to commit day after Dawkins did.
2. Hairston to commit sometime in same week Dawkins did.
3. Hairston to commit in same MONTH Dawkins did.
4. Hairston to wait for Thornton to visit--and then both will commit.
5. Both will commit prior to Coach K leaving for Vegas to start Olympic Team Camp.
6. Both to commit prior to Coach K leaving for China for Olympics.
7. Both are silents--and will commit to K upon his return from Olympics.
8. Now it's the visit in a few weeks.

It's simple--they will take visits-as most recruits do. If they like it somewhere--they'll think about it-but there will be other visits taken as well and other programs have a shot at getting Thornton and Hairston.

Basically.

I'm not holding my breath on either one of these dudes...

NOTHING is certain in the world of recruiting...Until they sign that LOI.
September 2, 2008
[h1]First Unofficial Goes Well for Smith[/h1]
Ron Bailey
HoyaReport.com

Related Links:
Smith is Catching Fire

Talk about it in The Tribal Council
September 2, 2008 - It has been a spring and summer of exposure for the Class of 2010's Roscoe Smith, the 6'7" plus, 185 pound swingman from Baltimore, MD (see Smith Catching Fire), as the multifaceted swingman has not only continued receiving recruiting interest from Georgetown, but has added institutions such as UCLA, Michigan, Virginia, Notre Dame and a host of others. The programs listed here, along with many others have tendered scholarship offers.

Being a presence in Baltimore recruiting, G'Town offered earlier than most, as the staff, led by John Thompson III, was well aware of Smith's ability to drive, shoot, pass, and defend, all of which were displayed during his sophomore season at Walbrook High School last year; Roscoe led the Warriors to a state quarter final berth via 23.6 points 11 rebounds, and seven blocks a contest.

[table][tr][td]
597584.jpg
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]i95Ballerz.com[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Roscoe Smith (22), greatly enjoyed his first real unofficial visit Saturday.[/td] [/tr][/table]Smith's stock soared even higher after his high school campaign, despite not playing any travel team ball. The reason for this anomaly? Displaying the growth in his game engendered by skill development when performing at the Nike Global, LeBron James and Vince Carter camps.

G'Town, seemingly ever in the front of the curve regarding Roscoe Smith, secured the young man's first, real unofficial visit this past weekend, as he and his father toured The Hilltop Saturday. By his account, the jaunt, which also included New England-based student athletes Nate Lubick and Nasir Tharpe, was swimmingly positive.

"It went well" said Smith by telephone of the visit. "We walked around the campus and hung out with the players. They are going to be a great team".

His relationships with a school's student athletes are important, and the Hoyas registered well, as Roscoe stated "Everybody treated me like I was a part of the team. They treated me real nice".

In addition to bonding with G'Town's players, Smith was able to discuss athletics and obviously see the school. Georgetown is well known for its academic prowess, while naysayers harp on the school's facilities, or alleged lack thereof. On that topic, Roscoe was clear, stating "I can't get caught up in that type of stuff", thereby communicating his college decision will not be predicated on fancy practice gyms or locker rooms (the Hoyas do play almost all of their games in the world class Verizon Center).

Despite his time at Georgetown, Smith, advised and guided by his father Brian Thompson, is in no rush to decide his future college home. "I don't have a top list" confided Roscoe. "I'm just open right now. I'm feeling them all out".

That of course includes taking more unofficial visits, which have not been specifically identified, witnessed by Smith's statement "We are still deciding…We are going to take them when they come".

One thing for sure, programs across the nation are not treating his recruitment in laid back fashion. He's being pursued.

Georgetown is right in the mix.

*+@*+#$ JT III....

St. John's refuses to release their schedule and there's a reason why:

We're playing 3 teams in the bottom 10 RPI:

Howard
Bethune Cookman?
NJIT

God I hope we lose one of these games just so they learn their lesson.

This is going to be such a long year, free tickets to every game, which I have to be at. God somebody kill me.

Yall have no idea how much I want Roscoe.

If he played AAU ball he'd be even more highly regarded.

Whoever gets him is getting a star that fits into a team.

With scheduling...it's just suicide to schedule teams like that.

Why not schedule schools from decent low level conferences who perform well?

While it doesn't apply for SJU now...it helps a hell of a lot in March. And it would be a good idea to at least build relationships with those schools now.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Yall have no idea how much I want Roscoe.

If he played AAU ball he'd be even more highly regarded.

Whoever gets him is getting a star that fits into a team.

With scheduling...it's just suicide to schedule teams like that.

Why not schedule schools from decent low level conferences who perform well?

While it doesn't apply for SJU now...it helps a hell of a lot in March. And it would be a good idea to at least build relationships with those schools now.
That's exactly what I said when I found out, I understand you want to pile as many wins as you can out of conference, but you could do that byscheduling Niagara, IONA, Fordham, Manhatten etc. Not else to mention the pathetic Holiday Festival card where we play Marist in the first round and theneither Va Tech or Columbia
alien.gif
Its really pathetic you scheudle 3 teams inthe bottom 10 out of 340 schools.

dreClark wrote:
I'm not holding my breath on either one of these dudes...

NOTHING is certain in the world of recruiting...Until they sign that LOI.
Georgetown is right in the mix.

*+@*+#$ JT III....

I just may have said this more than any other coach within the past yr 1/2, including roy
smh.gif

I pray we somehow manage to land Roscoe
tired.gif

Avery Bradley is transferring to Findlay College Prep (Henderson, NV) from Bellarmine Prep in order to get his grades up (supposedly needs a higher GPA toqualify as a freshman).

Duo of Bradley and D.J. Richardson should be nice though. Not sure how that would stack up compared to Gaddy & Bradley at Prep.

Only mentioned Bradley's name since he's supposed to announce his college choice either this week or next (supposedly down to Kansas, Texas, UCLA).

Midnight Madness has been moved up to October 10th. Guess who's visiting Kentucky on October 10th...

recruit_john_wall_200.jpg

pimp.gif

Regarding the Jamal Branch commitment to Texas A&M:

"This (decision) will be final. We don't even want to be recruited anymore," Jerome said. "He knows where he wants to go and what he wants to study, and we're pretty well pleased with it all."

pimp.gif
Hopefully it really is a done deal.

Originally Posted by RocDaMike11

Avery Bradley is transferring to Findlay College Prep (Henderson, NV) from Bellarmine Prep in order to get his grades up (supposedly needs a higher GPA to qualify as a freshman).

Duo of Bradley and D.J. Richardson should be nice though. Not sure how that would stack up compared to Gaddy & Bradley at Prep.

Only mentioned Bradley's name since he's supposed to announce his college choice either this week or next (supposedly down to Kansas, Texas, UCLA).

so does that end any chance of grady and bradley going to the same school?

According to an article in the Cincinnati Enquirer, Tobias Harris was recently in Louisville.
"... junior basketball standout Tobias Harris - gave the Cardinals high marks for the visit.

The 6-foot-7 forward from Long Island, N.Y., has the Cardinals listed among his final 10 schools after the visit. He's also looking at Syracuse, Rutgers,Georgetown, Virginia, Maryland, Marquette, West Virginia, USC and Wake Forest"

Duke just offered Ryan Kelly.

In scout article Hairston states he will visit UVA this weekend and Duke next weekend. He will go along with Tyler Thornton, Andrew Dawkins, and Plumlee brothers. Otherwise it is huge duke fluff piece. Chris Braswell article just says he has 5 visits at maryland (no surprise), indiana (no surprise), xavier, charlotte, va tech.

Isn't Ryan Kelly from Raleigh?

What the $@#@ took us so long to offer him?

Not that I think he's coming....But still...

Yall gota love Hairston and Thornton going with Dawkins and the Plumlee's...
Oh yeah....
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Some light pressure to get them boys to commit now. Lets hope it works.

I'm also glad they're visiting AFTER UVA.

What's the rest of their visiting schedule looking like? If you know...

If only one of the Plummee's was replaced w/ Yarou...I would be on 10 right now....

But since he isn't...I'm at about 9.6...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

Isn't Ryan Kelly from Raleigh?

What the $@#@ took us so long to offer him?

Not that I think he's coming....But still...

Yall gota love Hairston and Thornton going with Dawkins and the Plumlee's...
Oh yeah....
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Some light pressure to get them boys to commit now. Lets hope it works.

I'm also glad they're visiting AFTER UVA.

What's the rest of their visiting schedule looking like? If you know...

If only one of the Plummee's was replaced w/ Yarou...I would be on 10 right now....

But since he isn't...I'm at about 9.6...
laugh.gif

I'm still at a solid 7, I'll be up there with you once they sign.

Nothin official yet..

But Midnight Madness would logically be G'Town due to location..If he doesn't verbal by that point.

Hopefully he makes it till then..and Monroe's it.

Back
Top Bottom