College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Why doesn't Jennings go over to Europe for the year and make some money while working on his game?

If I were him and really didnt want to go to school, I would do it. Sign a 1 year contract put in work and he is set for next years draft.

The last thing Brandon Jennings needs is to not play a single game for an entire year...

He needs to be in a team environment, learning how to integrate himself and make others around him better... Whether that means he's better served going toschool or going overseas, I don't know... But if you just don't want to be in school, get over to Europe.

Not playing a game for a year won't make Jennings a better basketball player in the aspects of his game in which he needs the most work... Ball handlingand shooting drills won't do it. He needs to be playing the PG position in as many games for as many minutes as he possibly can...

Sign a 1 year contract put in work and he is set for next years draft.
Doubt any team is going to sign a talent like him to a 1 year contract. They'll do a multi year deal, have him enter the draft and havewhatever team drafts him pay a nice lil buyout fee.

He has soooo many prep schools at his disposal
True. But it seems those kids always are being steered in other directions.

For home grown talent it's weak tho...and whatever there might be Calhoun will be on it.
but yah bottom line is he can't recruit.

The last thing Brandon Jennings needs is to not play a single game for an entire year...

He needs to be in a team environment, learning how to integrate himself and make others around him better... Whether that means he's better served going to school or going overseas, I don't know... But if you just don't want to be in school, get over to Europe.

Not playing a game for a year won't make Jennings a better basketball player in the aspects of his game in which he needs the most work... Ball handling and shooting drills won't do it. He needs to be playing the PG position in as many games for as many minutes as he possibly can...
Basically.

St. John's signed its only capable players this year Sean Kilpatrick today, kid is a scoring machine from White Plains. Only problem is there is anotherlog jam at the guard position and a transfer or 2 is inevitable next year.

Jennings needs to play somewhere, but I think Europe would be a bad place for him to go. Sure he gets the money, but there a lot more experienced guards overthere that have been playing for a lot of years. Plus he would have to make a big transition to the european style of play. He could go over there get exposedand then if he signs a multi year deal might be stuck there for a bit, highly unlikely i know.

kilpatrick is nice.

i remember him gettin' buckets vs Mt. Vern on MSG earlier this year.
Pretty sure Sherrod Wright was guarding him and he's not a bum so ...

Originally Posted by dfresh244

Bballah Im curious to know why you edited that Jennings quote out...It actually even got to the AZ star.

http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/blogs/hansen/9490/jennings-case-goes-to-the-internet
laugh.gif

Outlet passes.......
pimp.gif

Dfesh or pacman sending info to a zona blog
laugh.gif
....Woodward & Bernstein 2008

samething i said HOYLE, thats why i said dfresh or pacman letting info out. im sure the man edited the info since one of yall running with theinfo to news papers and *#%*

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

The New England and specifically Boston area is rough to recruit in anyway with hoops, but still....he's awful at it.
Not necessarily. He has soooo many prep schools at his disposal who have good programs like NMH, Bridgton Academy, Salisbury, Trinity-Pawling, South Kent, etc.
Dude just sucks at recruiting. I mean, c'mon, can you imagine this dude sittin' in your living room on a visit to your house and you takin' him seriously? He look like one of the barbers from Coming to America
laugh.gif

That whole situation w/Elton Tyler, Jon DePina, Mike Bradley kind of soured alot of the influential people in the Mass. hoops scene on BC.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Sign a 1 year contract put in work and he is set for next years draft.
Doubt any team is going to sign a talent like him to a 1 year contract. They'll do a multi year deal, have him enter the draft and have whatever team drafts him pay a nice lil buyout fee.

Happens all the time. It really just depends on the agent. You have to have the right one. 1 year contract are normal out there. They dont really do longterm contracts with foreigners. Usually 1-3 year range.

Originally Posted by I Wear Sneakers

kilpatrick is nice.

i remember him gettin' buckets vs Mt. Vern on MSG earlier this year.
Pretty sure Sherrod Wright was guarding him and he's not a bum so ...

Word up but with Norm at the helm my Johnnies can't catch a break, supposably Kilpatrick is going to be iffy on qualifying for this season and willmost likely head to Prep to school, unless he passes his SAT's. And it sounds like he may never end up at St. John's because of his grades. smh kid canball and is the scorer we need.

No word from Ryan Anderson either....nobody knows what's going on with him and why he decided not to play in Orlando but stay in the draft...
grin.gif

Maybe he has a 2nd round "guarantee"...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

samething i said HOYLE, thats why i said dfresh or pacman letting info out. im sure the man edited the info since one of yall running with the info to news papers and *#%*

roll.gif
.... everybody wantin to be an insider with info....

Dre, Malta, Cake...don't read if you don't wana become more frustrated.

The kids at school don't stare at JeremyTyler simply because he's 6 feet 9 and 240 pounds. They don't turn their heads and stop in the halls only because of his size 18 shoes.

Now they do double-takes because there's a film crew following the 16-year-old sophomore basketball player at San Diego High School.
[table][tr][td]
JEREMYTYLER9_13200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tyler has worked hard to keep his game tight, and has dreams of playing in the NBA[/td] [/tr][/table]In January, a film company contacted Tyler and his family to ask permission to begin documenting Tyler's life. The company wanted to capture Tyler'sevolution from prep star to potential college headliner to, if all goes according to plan, NBA player.
"I think it'll be a good project for my life," said Tyler, the Rivals.com No. 1 sophomore basketball player in the nation. "My life has a good story to it - the way I carry myself and the way my team isgetting to travel around the nation to play and getting on television. The film company thought it'd be a good thing to catch on film."

If Tyler's first two seasons at San Diego High are any indication, the film company - which has shot footage of Tyler at school pep rallies andbasketball games and is considering putting a camera in Tyler's house - chose a worthy subject.

The San Diego High Cavers were 23-5 in 2007-08, didn't lose to any rival San Diego teams and won the California Interscholastic Federation San DiegoSection Division I crown for the first time in 33 years. Tyler averaged 18 points, 14.5 rebounds and 7.7 blocks while shooting 51 percent from the field.

"Jeremy's enhanced everything that we've been able to do as a team," Cavers coach Kenny Roy said. "He lets us bevery athletic overall. We're able to get up and down and push the tempo with him because he can be a weapon anywhere. We know he can get his inside, and hecan also usually get by his man and get to the basket with one dribble."

Tyler's main weakness is his ball-handling. When Tyler improves that, Roy said, his shooting and slashing abilities will "get evenscarier."

Tyler knows he still has some fine-tuning to do.

"Reaching that next level is a dream that you really have to fight for," Tyler said. "I know it's not going to come overnight. I know Icould get there, but only if I take all of the right steps."

Added Roy: "Jeremy doesn't allow being No. 1 to get to his head. He knows that if he settles, guys No. 2, 3 and 4 will start to catch up."

In an attempt to test Tyler and his teammates' stamina while giving them a taste of the college and pro travel experience, Roy made the Cavers'2007-08 schedule similar to that of a mid-major Division I college basketball program. They went to the Amare Stoudemire Classic in Lakeland, Fla., the NeoshaHoliday Classic in Neosha, Mo., and the Big Apple Classic in New York City. Roy hasn't finished designing the 2008-09 schedule, but he's anticipating atrip to Houston for the Kingwood Classic.

"We have had a college experience with all of our traveling," Roy said. "Getting on the airplanes, playing every other day - it was anawesome experience for the guys."

Tyler also played against a bevy of elite players last summer while traveling to various amateur tournaments and camps.

"I got to play with my favorite player of all time, Amare Stoudemire," Tyler said. "Getting to play with him and talk to him, just being inthe same gym as him, was amazing. I also met the Lopez twins (Brook and Robin), Roy Hibbert and that huge guy from UConn (Hasheem Thabeet).

"You really learn how to act and carry yourself when you're around those guys."

Soon enough, Tyler is expected to be around those guys more often - he'll be one of them.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
JEREMYTYLER10_11200.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]At 6 foot 9 Tyler has the ability to play above the rim[/td] [/tr][/table]North Carolina, Florida, UCLA and Georgetown areamong the schools that have contacted Roy about his star. If a team was in the NCAA Tournament this past season, chances are good it has been sending lettersfor months. Duke is one of the only major programs that hasn't inquired, "maybe because they're just waiting until Jeremy'sjunior year," Roy said. "But I've gotten letters and talked to assistants from pretty much everywhere else."
On what Roy said was a "light day," his mailbox was filled with letters from Kentucky, USC andPacific.

Tyler seemed genuine when he said the suffocating amount of attention hasn't changed him for the worse. He said he understands whythere are so many phone calls, letters and interview requests: "All of these people are just doing their jobs."

Tyler realizes that the attention colleges pay him could provide opportunities for his teammates. Coaches and recruiters attend Cavers games to see Tyler,but the potential exists that they might spot another player.

"Jeremy has brought notoriety to the program," Roy said. "He helps give chances to our other players who might be under the radar. Collegecoaches might see a handful of kids they like.

"Or maybe one particular coach doesn't need one of our guys, but he calls another person and tells them about one of our players."

And what about the camera crews and staring classmates? Do they help Tyler's teammates, or do they get under Tyler's skin?

"All of that has made me more mature," Tyler said. "My mind-set has changed in that I don't really worry about other people thinkingabout me and looking at me.

"If I was them and I saw a 7-footer walking around, I'd be looking, too."

Back
Top Bottom