College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

LOL from looking around at goazcats.com (Rival's Arizona msg board), someone posted the same quote in their premium message board too.. How many NTers havepaid subscriptions to the Arizona Rivals board?

Originally Posted by i am toddzo

LOL from looking around at goazcats.com (Rival's Arizona msg board), someone posted the same quote in their premium message board too.. How many NTers have paid subscriptions to the Arizona Rivals board?
roll.gif

lets get are NT Detective skills going. S&T edition

I did not send that into Greg Hansen. what would be the benefit of me doing that? Hansen is a POS journalist who only trashes Arizona in his columns for shockvalue. Yeah I'm a big Arizona fan and I'm not shy about showing it but that doesn't mean @+!*. There are a lot of NTers at Arizona, hell I have aton of friends that don't have accounts that stay lurking.

There's no quotes on this specific story, so who knows how true it is..in the know people on boards seem to say take this with a grain of salt...

But again, I think he chooses KU

Lance Stephenson has cut his list of potential schools down to three, according to a report in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.
The newspaper reports that the 6-foot-5 Stephenson of Brooklyn Lincoln is down to USC, UCLA and Kansas, although no quotes are in the story.

Stephenson has visited USC and UCLA, as well as Louisville, Seton Hall, Arkansas and Indiana. He had planned to visit Kansas for the Jayhawk Invitationaland play with Derrick Favors and the Atlanta Celtics, but he did not end up making the trip.

Lance "Stretch" Stephenson was not immediately available by phone, but he previously said he and his son could make a decision bySeptember.

"I would say by late September, or just before the season starts," he said. "Hopefully he has everything straight by the time the seasonstarted."

In previous interviews, Stretch said he and his son were looking "to find a nice place that's excited about basketball but at the same timethat's cozy and secluded, which is going to be tough to find."

"I know USC doesn't really fit that bill because it's another big city," he added. "I'm talking with USC head coach TimFloyd to see if their situation is different where they can keep everybody away from Lance and he can just concentrate on playing ball.

"I'm also in talks with Bill Self at Kansas. He was excited because he didn't think he had a chance to get Lance. Kansas seemsto be one of those places that's a big-time program but it's in a small market, so we're going to give them an opportunity to talk with us and seehow they do things in Kansas."

In previous interviews, Stretch said he and his son were looking "to find a nice place that's excited about basketball but at the same time that's cozy and secluded, which is going to be tough to find."

Hmmm...I have an idea...
wink.gif
...pleaseeee
frown.gif

UConn Plans Calhoun Announcement at 2 p.m.

There's no word on what the announcement will be, but the University of Connecticut has scheduled a short-notice news conference for this afternoon to makean announcement concerning Men's Basketball Coach Jim Calhoun.

WTIC plans to carry the statment live, at 2 p.m. on WTIC NewsTalk 1080 and wtic.com.

Hmmmm.....

I guess the press conferences is for health reasons...possibly taking time off?

Hope it's nothin too serious.

edit

He said he had cancer, had it operated on, and had the press conference to dispel rumors and explain why he was out of it this season:

"I want to coach basketball at UConn. Hopefully, I'm not going any place."

In previous interviews, Stretch said he and his son were looking "to find a nice place that's excited about basketball but at the same time that's cozy and secluded, which is going to be tough to find."
This is what he specifically says he's looking for, but UCLA and USC make the final cut? Good luck staying comfy and secluded in LosAngeles... Too much other stuff going on around Los Angeles and too much media attention is given to that city for other distractions not to pop up one way oranother...

Kansas seems ideal if that's actually what he's looking for.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

why is it after lute came back all of these stuff started happen at zona? i think we can see clear now what and who the problem is there

Adbul Gaddy and Avery brady want to go to the same college togther

Arizona is a mess...

Funny how their fans were expecting a loaded team next year...to now having a bleak future

Another talented kid from the DMV

"He's a long, rangy, athletic cat; not super athletic but still athletic" said the longtime contributor, via post and now articles, toHoyaReport.com and other places on the web, of Spurlock. "He has a multi-faceted skill set. He can operate on the perimeter with thejumper, or take you off the dribble. Can post when necessary, and can take you inside".

"I think the most important thing offensively is when he recognizes his jumper isn't falling, he can take it to the rim and finish withaggression" continued McDowell.

[table][tr][td]
646538.jpg
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Ivan Mcdowell[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]McDowell on Spurlock: "He can pass, has good court awareness, and is an unselfish player. I saw no attitude problems, he stayed focused. Also has work ethic, and drive".[/td] [/tr][/table]Standing 6'7" and weighing around 220 pounds, McDowell believes Spurlock provides a coach defensivescalability, indicating "He's probably a combo forward right now. I wouldn't call him a banger, but he can definitely guard multiplepositions".

Tristan himself embraces the ability to do so. "He talked about trying to get quicker on defense because he knows at the next level he will be guardingsome threes (small forwards), big twos (shooting guards) and undersized fours (power forwards)" recalled McDowell.

Offensively, McDowell relayed Spurlock plans to "continue working on his handle and perimeter jumper", since "Right more I think he's morestreaky from the perimeter than consistent". The young guy can also pass the rock.

Colleges have certainly taken notice; Tristan told McDowell "Georgetown, Virginia, UNC, Wake Forest and Clemson" constitute his favorites, with bothClemson and Florida State offering.

When pressed to define Spurlock's possible fit at Georgetown, McDowell opined "I see him playing a three and in a pinch maybe the four". He alsobelieves Tristan "is a Big East caliber player…definitely" and "fits in perfectly with what John Thompson III likes to do, which is have versatile players".

Let's see, long, rangy, able to play several positions. That sounds somewhat similar to a recent Hoya, Brandon Bowman. McDowell acknowledged certainsimilarities, but distinct differences as well between the two: "He probably has a better handle than Bowman, but is obviously not as tall. Bowman mayhave had a better jump shot, slightly. But I think Spurlock is more willing, not necessarily more able, but more willing to defend in the post or as he put itexecute 'Whatever the coach needs for me to do' in general".

Tristan Spurlock sounds like a winner.

Good news
pimp.gif

Seems like JT3 has his pick of ; Spurlock, Thornton, Hairston, and Atkins in these next 2 classes.

And Hopefully he snag Roscoe Smith for '10.

Texas A&M just got a commitment from a kid named Khris Middleton in the class of '09 out of SC. Anybody know anything about him?

Rivals has a little bit of film on him..

Long, rangy, wing....looks like he has a decent outside shot with some range to it.

Adbul Gaddy and Avery brady want to go to the same college togther
Kids these days
smh.gif
peep this quote:

"We're going to pick our school as a school that we can play right away when we get there," Bradley told Scout.com. "That's the mainthing. If we aren't able to both be able to play at the same time, we won't have that school on our list."

What happened to earning your PT? Also, Arizona is Gaddy's "leader" at this point so I'm hoping it wil turn out like a Bayless situationwhere he ends up recommitting.

And I do believe Lute has had a large part of this and I hope that this is his last season.

The only GOOD news is that Nic Wise announced he is returning.

With college basketball programs in the process of finalizing their 2008 recruiting classes, the focus has started to shift toward the 2009 recruiting season.While some teams secured commitments from 2009 prospects very early in the recruiting process, other teams have enjoyed recent success by gaining commitmentsfrom talented players who are just finishing their junior seasons in high school.
Currently, only 42 players listed in the ESPN 100 have given verbal commitments. With more than half of the 2009 ESPN 100 prospects, including the topprospect in the class, 6-foot-9 PF Derrick Favors (Atlanta, Ga.), stillsearching for their college basketball homes, expect the competition for pledges from these elite players to intensify significantly.

This list will likely be changed dramatically in the coming months. As more 2009 prospects select programs, the rankings for the top recruiting classes willstart to appear in clearer focus. Many schools will move up the rankings or drop in the rankings depending on how well they fare on the recruiting trail. Theseschools have flexed their recruiting muscles in these preliminary rankings of the top recruiting hauls in the Class of 2009.

153.gif

1. North Carolina, four verbal commits

North Carolina coach Roy Williams has managed to put together an outstanding 2009 recruiting haul. Six-foot-3 combo guard Dexter Strickland (Elizabeth, N.J.) leads a very talented group of four top-25prospects. Strickland will get plenty of help from 6-9 PF John Henson(Round Rock, Texas) and very skilled 6-9 power forwards David (Santa Ana, Calif.) and Travis Wear (Santa Ana, Calif.).
356.gif

2. Illinois, four verbal commits

After losing 2007 prize Eric Gordon, Illinois coach Bruce Weber has endured some criticism because of a perceived lack of success in his recruiting efforts forthe 2007 and 2008 classes. Weber has struck with a vengeance thus far in the 2009 class, with commitments from four prospects, led by a top-50 player, 6-9 PFTyler Griffey (Wildwood, Mo.). ESPN 100 guards Brandon Paul (Warren,Ill.) and .J. Richardson (Peoria, Ill.) in addition to 6-4 SG Joseph Bertrand (Sterling, Ill.) will provide scoring and playmaking from theperimeter to complement the inside presence of Griffin.
46.gif

3. Georgetown, three verbal commits

After assembling a top-10 recruiting class in 2008, the Hoyas continue to stockpile talented prospects for their 2009 class. Georgetown coach John Thompson IIIhas demonstrated great recruiting range by getting verbal commitments from two ESPN 100 players: 6-6 SF Hollis Thompson (Los Angeles, Calif.) and 6-11 C DaShonte Riley (Detroit, Mich.). This class gets a huge boost from 6-8 PFChris Braswell (Baltimore, Md.), an ESPN 100 player from 2008 who willreclassify and enroll in 2009.
97.gif

4. Louisville, three verbal commits

The beat goes on at Louisville as coach Rick Pitino continues to bring in quality players for his program. In 2009, the Cardinals will welcome one of the bestpoint guards in the class in 6-foot Peyton Siva (Seattle). Meanwhile, 6-8 PF Rakeem Buckles (Miami) should produce plenty of highlight-reel plays with hisexplosive athleticism, and 6-4 SG Mike Marra (Smithfield, R.I.) shouldhave plenty of chances to get off his smooth jump shot in Pitino's high-octane offense.
5.gif

5. UAB, three verbal commits

Having UAB on this list is not a misprint; coach Mike Davis has delivered some monumental verbal pledges to Birmingham. One top-5 prospect, 6-9 PF DeMarcus Cousins (Mobile, Ala.), has the talent to not only build a program, buthis presence could help shift the balance of power in Conference USA. ESPN 100 combo-guard Tamir "Pops" Jackson (Newark, N.J.) should have plenty of room tooperate on the perimeter due to Cousins' interior presence. Juco 6-10 PF Maurice Bolden will add depth along the front line for the Blazers.
41.gif

6. Connecticut, two verbal commits

One top-20 prospect, 6-8 PF Alex Oriakhi (Lowell, Mass.), has theability to dominate games on both ends when he decides to play with intensity. ESPN 100 6-6 SF Jamal Coombs-McDaniel has a college-ready physique already and plays the gamewith great exuberance.
57.gif

7. Florida, two verbal commits

Florida coach Billy Donovan has attempted to duplicate the success of his recent NCAA championship teams by accumulating incredible depth on the front line. Inhis 2009 class, he has added two top-40 power forwards in 6-9 DeShawnPainter (Norfolk, Va.) and 6-10 Erik Murphy (South Kingstown, R.I.).This talented and versatile 2009 duo will only add to the interior talent that the Gators recruited in their 2008 class, giving Donovan the ability to usemultiple looks up front for Florida.
2306.gif

8. Kansas State, two verbal commits

Kansas State coach Frank Martin continues to have success recruiting high-major talent from the famed D.C. Assault AAU organization. After having Assault alumsMichael Beasley and Ron Anderson as members of last season's squad, Martin will add two more talented D.C. Assault players in 2009 who are also ESPN 100prospects: 6-7 SF Wallace Judge (Jacksonville, Fla.) and 6-4 SG Rodney McGruder (Washington).
127.gif

9. Michigan State, two verbal commits

Spartans coach Tom Izzo has two physical inside players -- 6-10 PF GarrickSherman (Kenton, Ohio) and 6-9 C Derrick Nix (Detroit, Mich.) -- whowill serve to anchor the pressure defense that he loves to employ. Both members of the ESPN 100, Sherman and Nix should provide Michigan State withspace-eating inside muscle and scoring from the low block.
2509.gif

10. Purdue, four verbal commits

Purdue coach Matt Painter has rather quietly built a nice program in West Lafayette. He will welcome ESPN 100 6-4 SG .J. Byrd (Crawfordsville, Ind.) to campus in 2009, along with highly regarded6-5 SF Kelsey Barlow (Indianapolis). The Boilermakers will also haveinterior depth in the 2009 class provided by two power forwards who hail from Indianapolis: 6-8 Patrick Bade and 6-9 Jeff Robinson.

• Rutgers would have ranked very high on this list, but 6-9 C GregoryEchenique (Newark, N.J.), a top-10 prospect, graduated early, reclassified in the Class of 2008, and will attend Rutgers this year instead of in 2009.Despite "losing" Echenique, the Scarlet Knights have a solid 2009 recruiting class, which features ESPN 100 6-7 SF Dane Miller (Rochester, N.Y.) and 6-7 PF Austin Johnson (Blairstown, N.J.).

More on the aforementioned Josh Hairston (5 star for '10)

[table][tr][td][font=Arial,Helvetica]Question to the recruiting gurus. I read on some of the rivals and scout boards that Hairston is a lock for Duke if they offer him, is this true or do we have a real chance with him?[/font][/td] [/tr][/table]
Put your money on Georgetown.

Let me go a bit further. Duke can't offer Hairston at this time anything that Georgetown can't other than Cameron Indoor stadium and worship by %%## Vitale. Hairston and his family are truly invested in academics and Gtown is just as good on that front as Duke.

But here's where Gtown has an advantage: Gtown is the area school and Hairston is not one of those trying to get away from his home. Georgetown, as Hairston has mentioned before, recruited him before any other school. Georgetown has been recruiting him harder than any other school with Ohio State coming in second perhaps. He really likes the coaching staff and has a good relationship with them. He likes the players on the team (the Hoyas). He loves the campus and has visited the school on his own dime several times; he was even at the most recent Midnight Madness celebration. He has been making appearances at Gtown games for the last few years. Kinda like Grant Hill (another Northern Virginia kid) Hairston and his family make their share of Gtown home games. In fact for his birthday back in January his mom took him and his entire basketball team to the Gtown-Uconn game. And in various sites that have nothing to do with Georgetown Hairston has mentioned that Gtown is currently leads all other schools for his services.

Now maybe I have jinxed everything by mentioning all of this. Stranger things have happened than Gtown losing a recruit. He could go anywhere. In fact he wanted to give UNC and Duke a chance to come around to show what they had to offer (though both are a little bit late to the game). But as of right now the signs are good. And it should be noted that III made Hairston his primary target this past spring at one or two AAU events. Gave him the Vernon Macklin treatment by following him around game to game. Lets also remember that the Hoyas went head-to-head against Duke for Monroe and Hollis. Duke was very interested in Riley early o too but quickly realized they ween't going to win that race. Duke fans,kinda like the coaches of Duke, didn't even know who Hairston was until he became a five star consideration. Please. The good thing is we'll know soon about Hairston's choice because he wants to get it over with before his junior year. Keep your fingers crossed.

By the way as long as III is around I don't see why some people are so timid and use phrases like "hopefully the Hoyas have a shot" or whatever. With III the Hoyas have more than a shot at anyone they focus their true attention on, especially over an extended period of time. The Hoyas have not just been recruiting Hairston for two weeks. They've been on him for a long while now.

However people seem to think Kenny Boynton is a Duke lean at this point...but that's just another guard. A good one, but not great.

[table][tr][td]Xavier Henry down to four schools.[/td] [/tr][/table]
Kansas, Memphis, UCLA and Texas.

.....If he goes to Kansas, which people believe....I guess that means Lance would most likely head to Memphis.

We'll see...

Boynton is as good as anyone in the country at putting the ball in hole. The few times I've seen him he didn't score under 40...but then again DeMarcusNelson was an elite scorer in High School too.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

[table][tr][td]Xavier Henry down to four schools.[/td] [/tr][/table]
Kansas, Memphis, UCLA and Texas.

.....If he goes to Kansas, which people believe....I guess that means Lance would most likely head to Memphis.

We'll see...
Didnt lance say his top 3 was Kansas,USC and UCLA

UCLA in play for a couple of players that want to go to school as package deals
Sidney and Lance
Avery Brady and Abdul Gaddy

Back
Top Bottom