College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

[h2]Pilgrim in Lexington[/h2]
2656.jpg

Lexington, Ky.- Sources tell HoopsReport.com that Hampton transfer Matthew Pilgrim has enrolled in summer classes at the University of Kentucky and that earlier today he was seen signing-in at the Wildcat Lodge, which is the facility that serves as the basketball team's dorm.

No official announcement has been made by UK at this point, however this could mean that an announcement is on the way.

When we spoke to Pilgrim two weeks ago, he told us that he was expecting Kentucky to make an official scholarship-offer as soon as they worked out some academic issues concerning the transfer (involving course credits, etc.).

Pilgrim, a 6'8 forward from Cincinnati, averaged almost 10 points and five rebounds per game in two seasons at Hamton.

http://www.hoopsreport.com/news/hoopsnews/pilgriminlexington

Craftsy, what mid major's you like next season? My mind has already forgotten who's returning or leaving...I remember you were high on that Freshmen from Butler tho..

Maaannn.. hard to say
laugh.gif
i've basically dropped off the map as far as this is concerned, i could pull some ideas out of my butt right now but it'snot worth anyone's time at this point. I'll start getting revved up for this crap again here in another month or so and get back to you. Usuallyaround the las vegas camps i start getting back into this pretty heavily, look for me then
laugh.gif

I just got back from the high school tournament over at St. John's and let me tell you guys whoever signs Durand Scott will be getting a player. His onlydownfall is that he doesn't shoot enough. He is going to be a phenomenal player and is so strong driving to the hoop. He's the player St. John;s needsto keep at home.
ohwell.gif

Read on some forum that Stanley Robinson wont be comin back next year, says its been decided since the semester ended. with that my hope for that third NC aretoast, anyone have anymore info?

I'm gonna try and ask one of my friends who goes to UCONN if he heard anything. I remember hearing rumors that Stanley wanted out, but Calhoun persuadedhim to stay.

Also on a sidenote, one of my friends ran into Doug Wiggins at a party, and asked him wasn't he supposed to go to St. John's and Wiggins pulled the
smh.gif
tired.gif
I don't want to talk about it. Ole boy def. is feeling hurt thathe made the wrong choice.

Yea ive seen him asked pretty much the same question at a few parties and he straight drops the
smh.gif
and walks away

danny green was injured so most likely will be back at UNC.

ellington didn't play good so i expect him to return.

lawson most likely gone.

I still can't believe Calhoun snatched Wiggins from SJU and didn't get more criticism for it.

I still can't believe Calhoun snatched Wiggins from SJU and didn't get more criticism for it.
Same thing as Sampson snagging Gordon from Weber. A verbal isn't a full commitment, so dude is still on the open market as far as I'mconcerned. I know it's an unspoken code that you don't recruit a kid once he's verballed, BUT shouldn't the blame be put on the kid forswitchin' it up, especially within the conference?

It's just the way things kinda went....didn't Uconn finally show interest in him after they lost a guard or somethin?

Idk...just not a fan of the way Calhoun goes about things in the off season..

Ellington actually finished up camp pretty well and measured taller than people expected...I still think he's coming back but I wouldn't be shocked ifhe left

Leslie McDonald will be in town visiting UNC and Duke this weekend. I believe he sees us first. I hear he's good friends with Elliot Williams so I hopethis turns into another Ellington/Henderson situation.

A little late on this one but I would really like to see Roscoe Smith with the Louisville Cards. It will be a good look for both the program and the player.Lets go Rick get this done.

I would normally not say this because I do not like Michigan but they need to get this kid. Solomon Hill class of '09

Solomon Hill, a multi-skilled wing forward from Fairfax High School in Los Angeles, enjoyed quite the rise in the class of 2009 rankings after his dynamicspring showing. Last week at the Pangos All-American camp, he was one of the toughest players to defend in the camp.

Going from a non-ranked prospect to the No. 3 overall small forward in the nation, Hill said his spring showing was as good as he hoped it would have been.

Solomon Hill is a rare combination of size, passing and versatility.
"I think I did pretty good. I'm getting out on the wing more. It's been fun out there. I've been able to take the pressure off of my otherteammates," Hill said.

"Being able to dish off to other people allows me to do some more on the offensive end. On my high school team, I had to take on a new role. I had to movemore out to the wing and ever since then I've been playing really well out on the wing as someone who can get everyone else involved. The game opens up alot more being out on the wing. It makes my job on the court a lot easier."

Hill certainly makes it easy. His ball-handling, passing and versatility is good enough to play the point full time if needs be. Hill said his conversationswith college coaches have revolved around him playing the one at the next level, too.

"Being a 6-6, I know a lot of college coaches like my size out there. Some of them think I can be a college point guard. That's a big thing. I'vebeen playing against people that aren't my size and I think there are a lot of advantages in that," Hill said. "I can play the one, two or three.I like to play all of the positions. It doesn't matter to me as long as I'm out there on the court."

As expected, Hill's recruitment took off after his spring showing. Hill said Boston College, Oregon State, San Diego, San Diego State and UNLV have offeredhim prior to the Pangos All-American camp, where he was one of the top class of 2009 prospects in the event. Utah called on Tuesday and offered. Arizona hasalso jumped into the mix.

Gonzaga, Kansas State, Southern Cal, Texas, Michigan and Washington State are also in the picture, he said.

"It's the same, just keeping in touch with the other schools that have been staying on top of me," Hill said. "Now it's a matter of melooking at the teams a little closer and looking at the coaching staffs a little closer. I'm trying to keep it all open."

Hill said he will participate in Southern Cal's camp this weekend. The four-star prospect said he'd like to see some other programs this summer andinto the fall, too.

"I would like to get up to Gonzaga this summer," he said. "Arizona called this week and said they are interested. I'd like to get down thereand take an official visit. I really like Arizona.

"I spoke to the head coach at Michigan a couple of days ago and he said they are definitely interested and want to stay in touch with me. I knowthey'll be recruiting me. He said they want to win some championships and that is what I want to do. I want go somewhere that I can win. I'll goanywhere that I can win a championship…Me and my are going to break it down at the end of the summer as to where I'll really be visiting."

Hill said he will participate in the Vince Carter camp, the LeBron James camp, the Nike Peach Jam and the Main Event in July with his California Supreme AAUteam.

What do people think about package deals in this case Abdul Gaddy and Avery Bradley.

Rivals Jerry Meye thinks:

I doubt a decision is going to come anytime soon for these prospects. A couple of weeks ago, Bradley told Rivals.com that he wanted to take his five officialvisits in the fall before making a decision. I doubt that Gaddy would rush into a decision after his recent decommitment from Arizona. Furthermore, Gaddy hasindicated that he wants to play with Bradley in college and that he wants to be re-recruited by the new coaching staff at Arizona.

Although Gaddy is on record saying Bradley and he are a package deal, the two prospects do not have identical school lists. Gaddy has Gonzaga, Oregon andWashington on his list, and Bradley is considering Florida, UCLA and Wake Forest - which are not on Gaddy's list.

Assuming the two are serious about playing together, Arizona, Kansas, Memphis, Texas and USC are in favorable positions.

Whichever school (or schools) lands Gaddy and Bradley will get two extremely talented five-star prospects. Gaddy, the No. 14 ranked prospect in the Rivals150,is a crafty and skilled point guard with good size. He has a great feel for running a team, can make difficult shots in the midrange and is an intelligentdefender.

Bradley, the No. 17 ranked prospect in the Rivals150, is a great scorer off the dribble. He has the athleticism to attack the rim, and he is also terrific inthe midrange. Not only is Bradley an impressive scorer, he is also a tenacious defender. Extremely quick laterally, Bradley can use his rangy build to lockdown opposing guards.

Is it a good or bad idea for college teams to go and make package deals. Shouls the students coming in to college have the power to make a package deal happen?

^ Its not a Lil Romeo / Derozan situation. Its two 5 star guards.
I have no problem with package deals although I think most probably
won't work. Just like Bill and OJ were a package. And now Lance
and Sidney say they might be. I don't see it happening.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1098535.html
[h2]Ty Lawson charged with drinking, driving[/h2]From Staff Reports
CHAPEL HILL - North Carolina point guard Ty Lawson was arrested today and charged with driving after consuming alcohol, violating a local noise ordinance and driving with a revoked license.
Chapel Hill police officer C. Shehan arrested Lawson, 20, at 2:33 a.m. on North Columbia St., in the heart of town. The officer stopped Lawson, who was alone in a 2005 four-door Chevrolet with Maryland plates, after hearing loud music coming from the car, said police Capt. Chris Blue.

Shehan suspected that Lawson had been drinking, conducted a field sobriety test and found probable cause to charge him with the misdemeanors, Blue said. State law prohibits anyone under 21 from driving after drinking any amount of alcohol.

Lawson was given a Breathalyzer test, said police Capt. Jackie Carden. The arrest and incident reports did not disclose the Breathalyzer reading, but Carden said it must have been below .08 or Lawson also would have been charged with DWI.

Lawson was taken into custody, processed and released on a written promise to appear in court July 8.

He had no comment when he was contacted by phone this morning.

Lawson, a sophomore, averaged 12.7 points for the Tar Heels, who advanced to the Final Four last season. He is one of three UNC players who entered their names into the NBA draft, but he did not hire an agent, leaving open the possibility that he will return to school. He has until June 16 to pull his name out of the draft and has been working out for NBA teams to judge where he would be taken.

Contacted early this morning, a team spokesman did not know of the arrest report and had no immediate comment.

All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be published, broadcast or redistributed in any manner.

Damn Ty.....
smh.gif

At least no one was injured

Back
Top Bottom