College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

Originally Posted by The Lowa

Even though this will not happen what could happen and will be great for me is if The Ville starts to recruit Lance and move him to the two get Sidney and we already have Siva at the point. That will be a great class just think
PG Peyton Siva
PF Rakeem Buckles
SG Mike Marra
SG Lance Stephenson
PF Renardo Sidney

What a hell of a class but it will not happen

eek.gif
laugh.gif
What a dream...that would be pretty amazing if Pitino could manage to pull thatone off. Unfortunately, the chances are probably bordering impossible.

i didn't go back thru this thread from the last few days so i don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but Jasper is officiallytransfering.
ohwell.gif

the word is UNLV, but yeah, he's gonna head back out west. that was the reason for his decision, to get closer to his fam.

"The decision to transfer is in no way an indication of my experience playing for UK," Jasper said. "I feel at this point in my life, it is important for me to be close to my family, and I intend to transfer to a school closer to the west coast where I can see my family more often, and they can see me play.

"It was not an easy decision for me to make, since the fans have been so wonderful and very supportive of my teammates and me. I want to thank Coach Gillispie and the entire UK coaching staff for their guidance and support they have given me these past two years. I have grown a tremendous amount as a basketball player, and most importantly a person and feel it is largely due to the people involved with the UK basketball program."

And a few words from Coach Clyde:

"It's a disappointment to lose Derrick, who was fantastic for us both as a person and a basketball player," UK Head Coach Billy Gillispie said. "He had to battle through some injuries, but he was always willing to sacrifice for the good of the team.

"I appreciate that Derrick was patient and took his time to make certain that this decision was what he felt was best for his future. We wish him all the best. Where ever he decides to attend will be getting an outstanding player who takes his academics very seriously."

good luck brother.

and there's alot of fuss on the IU message boards because Jordan Crawford was wearing a UK shirt while watching Joe at the draft camp.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by tmay407

Originally Posted by The Lowa

Even though this will not happen what could happen and will be great for me is if The Ville starts to recruit Lance and move him to the two get Sidney and we already have Siva at the point. That will be a great class just think
PG Peyton Siva
PF Rakeem Buckles
SG Mike Marra
SG Lance Stephenson
PF Renardo Sidney

What a hell of a class but it will not happen

eek.gif
laugh.gif
What a dream...that would be pretty amazing if Pitino could manage to pull that one off. Unfortunately, the chances are probably bordering impossible.

Yea it is a dream but look at this with Sidney taken Louisville on his list of schools we will just have to try and get Lance and we can get that packagedeal to work. Both would have a full ride because T Will and Clark are gone next year. But looking realistically I really like our class for 2009 Rakeem isgoing to be a beast . He is going to catch a lot of Big East teams off guard.

Travis Ford picks up a player....I think Ford will succeed down there, if nothing else..he'll have athletes and play an exciting brand of basketball.Nothin speical but a Top 150 player..

Fred Gulley has a good reason to beproud this weekend. The Rivals150 guard is headed to the Big 12. Gulley, a three-star guard from Fayetteville (Ark.) High School, is off the board.

Gulley told Rivals.com on Saturday that he verbally committed to Oklahoma State.

[table][tr][td]
FREDGULLEY9_7200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Fred Gulley is taking his game to the Big 12.[/td] [/tr][/table]"My chest is sticking out a little more than usual," Gulley said. "I felt like it is the best fit for me and when Iwent there for a visit I had a great response from the coaches. It's just a good feeling and I feel like I can be really good there for the next fewyears."

The speedy and athletic point guard also saw an opportunity to play right away in the backcourt for the Cowboys.

"They have a senior guard leaving the year I get there and I feel like the position kind of falls right into my hands," Gulley said. "I like theoffense that they run, using a lot of pick and rolls and the system seems to really fit me.

"[Coach Travis Ford] was great. He was a point guard when he played and I think that's a huge advantage. I'll be able to get some of hisknowledge. It's a great opportunity to learn from him and I think that's only going to help build our relationship."

Gulley said his decision ultimately came down to Oklahoma State and Stanford while Missouri, Cal and Arizona State were also in strong consideration. Gulleysaid the atmosphere in Stillwater was too good to pass up.

"That place is phenomenal," Gulley said. "It was sold out the game I went there and Gallagher-Iba arena is one of the premiere arenas in thecountry."

And Arkansas lands a pretty good one (Top 50)

Marshawn Powell's calling card onthe hardwood is playing hard, playing with energy and playing with a do-what-it-takes attitude. That mentality will serve him well in the SEC. The Rivals150prospect ended his recruitment on Saturday.

[table][tr][td]
MARSHAWNPOWELL7_11200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Marshawn Powell verbally committed to Arkansas on Saturday.[/td] [/tr][/table]Powell verbally committed to Arkansas on Saturday. The 6-foot-6, 230-pound forward from The Miller School in Crozet, Virginia toldRivals.com his decision was based on the brand of basketball John Pelphrey has employed in Fayetteville.

"I just like the way they play. Their system is really wide open and I want to try to give them whatever I can to help them win," Powell said."They have some good big men and some good wings so I want to go there and just play hard and do whatever they need me to do."

The Razorbacks might be a bit of a surprise to those in Virginia, Powell said. He also strongly considered Maryland, Virginia, Florida State and LaSalle.

"I know I probably hurt some feelings with some people around here but I had to do what was right for me," Powell said.

A connection to current Razorback Stefan Welsh also played a part in his decision, Powell said.

"He's like my family," Powell said.

For Arkansas, Powell brings a no-nonsense attitude that leads to high production and a mismatch at the power forward position. Powell is ranked 45th in theclass of 2009 by Rivals.com.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I'm going to see Lance play tomorrow at St. John's for a high school/ aau tournament. Pretty psyched, the first time I'll be seeing him play. Damn shame it will be the last time he ever steps foot in St. John's

how was it?

i dont get how Jasper can get home sick after two seasons..we would have had a nice nucleus with Patterson, Meeks and Jasper!!

^ uh oh ray has made his first appearance in the college basketball off season post!

Good luck Derrick wherever you go, but we will be fine....Galloway and Liggins will be fine at the point, if he ever qualifies. Im really liking what gillispieis doing with recruiting.

Any word on how crawford is doing in the camp wildKYcat?

Originally Posted by true 3 blue

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I'm going to see Lance play tomorrow at St. John's for a high school/ aau tournament. Pretty psyched, the first time I'll be seeing him play. Damn shame it will be the last time he ever steps foot in St. John's

how was it?

I didn't get to check out Lance as much as I wanted to tonight, but tomorrow I will deff. see more of him. Overall he didn't look like his head wasin the game today. I saw him scrimmage before the tournament with the St. John's roster and for the most part he looked average. Whether or not it wasbecause he wanted nothing to do with them and the school idk. He made a couple of nice moves to the basket and is incredibly strong and has a lot of range onhis shot. During his games Lincoln was playing with only 5 players and Lance picked up 2 technicals and 6 fouls in the first half of one of his games. Deff.not his best effort and I hope to see more of him tomorrow, along with Omari Lawrence, Durand Scott, Keith Spellman and that Pinkston cat from BishopLoughlin.

On a side note St. John's picked up a verbal today from some tall white stiff from the UK. I saw him play a little and he made a couple of nice blocksand has a decent touch but it looks like he is slow and will prob. have trouble moving side to side.
tired.gif

Rob Thomas also looks great and that's a name all of you Big East cats need to read up on because he will be havign a break out year next year for theJohnnies.

crawford had a real nice showing at the camp...chad ford said he may have been the most surprising and impressive player there. i'll see if I can findexactly what he wrote about joe later.

Maryland looking at some prospects for the 2010 class. They got their eyes on some goop players.
Isaiah Epps NJ/ The Lowa East Side
Taran Buie Albany NY
Maryland has their eyes on other players in this class. They need to try a lock down Epps because what I seen so far the kid is special.

Last week, Florida Atlantic hired Mike Jarvis to replaceRex Walters as coach.

Jarvis was last on the coaching scene in 2003 at St. John's, but he was fired in midseason after a series of incidents involving theteam's players. Other transgressions led to a two-year NCAA probation and some scholarship limitations.

Jarvis was 110-61 in five-plus seasons with the Red Storm, including three NCAA Tournament appearances. He has 364 career wins in 19 seasons as a headcoach.

FAU chose him over such candidates as Georgia Southern coach Jeff Price and former St. Louis and Wisconsin coach BradSoderberg.

Is Jarvis, 63, the right hire for FAU? That's the question we posed to Andrew Skwara and Bob McClellan for thisweek's Monday Tip debate.

SKWARA: YES

Jarvis lost complete control at his last job, there is no arguing that. During the course of his final year at St. John's, several of his players raninto problems with the law. What is worse is that a former player received payments from a staff member.
[table][tr][td]
MIKEJARVIS250_0527.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mike Jarvis was previously a head coach at St. John's, George Washington and Boston University.[/td] [/tr][/table]
Jarvis wasn't found guilty of supplying those payments, but it's tough to believe he wasn't involved in some way or had some knowledge of thesituation. His own director of operations admitted to making the payments, including some he took from a petty-cash fund in the men's basketballoffice.

Jarvis has paid dearly for those mistakes. He was fired from the best job he ever had. His reputation was trashed. He couldn't land a coaching job forfour years.

That's a severe punishment for a guy who was born to coach. Jarvis, who has a master's degree in education, is one of just four Division I coacheswho has won 100 games at three schools. He got his first head-coaching gig at Boston University, worked his way up to George Washington, then to St.John's, where he led the Red Storm to the Elite Eight in 1999.

Jarvis was at or near the top of his profession. Now, at the age of 63, Jarvis basically starts over. He's working in the mid-major ranks again, at aplace that will be on its third coach in four seasons.

What else can be done? Should no one hire Jarvis again? Even former Cal coach Todd Bozeman, who admits to giving thousands to a former player, was hired atMorgan State two years ago.

McCLELLAN: NO

Maybe FAU accomplished what it desired when it hired Jarvis, who clearly was the "name" coach among the men interviewed. If FAU had hiredSoderberg or Price, we wouldn't be debating the hire in this space right now.
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
MIKEJARVIS250_0530.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Mike Jarvis is the fourth FAU head coach in the past five years.[/td] [/tr][/table]
Jarvis' track record as a coach can't be debated. Does he also come with some red flags? My opinion is yes - red flags big enough they can be seenfrom outer space.

Under Jarvis' watch, St John's wound up on two years' probation and had scholarship reductions imposed. The school's investigation revealeda player was being paid by a member of Jarvis' staff. Jarvis was faulted for not properly monitoring the situation, but was otherwise cleared ofwrongdoing.

His monitoring skills left something to be desired. His players had several run-ins with the law, including charges of marijuana possession and assault.

It got so bad at St. John's that Jarvis became the first Big East coach ever to be fired in midseason, despite a mark of 110-61 at the school. What doesthat tell you?

Jarvis is FAU's fourth coach in five years. MattDoherty bolted after one season for the SMU job, and Rex Walters stuck around for two before hightailing it to San Francisco (San Francisco?). Dothe Owls really believe a 63-year-old coach with a checkered past who hasn't been on the floor in nearly five years brings stability to the program? Or dothey just love coaching searches that much?

And in other news, Maryland and Gary are a desperate program, and I love it..

THIS WEEK: Tyree Evans is a talented basketball player with a checkered past. The former Rivals.com four-star shooting guard prospect played last season at Motlow State Community College in Lynchburg, Tenn., where he averaged 21 points for a team that went 28-5. Motlow is not a typical destination for highly recruited players. But Evans' run-ins with law enforcement have derailed his playing career. In 2005, he was charged with felony possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. He pleaded down to a misdemeanor and was sentenced to 12 months in jail, with all but one month suspended. In 2006, he pleaded down to another misdemeanor that stemmed from charges in connection with the statutory rape of a 15-year-old female classmate at a Massachusetts prep school in 2004. He also was arrested for trespassing in 2006 in his hometown of Richmond, Va. Despite all of those transgressions, Maryland had offered him a scholarship in April and he had accepted. But late last week Evans asked to be released from his letter of intent, and the school obliged. What do you think of the Evans situation?

MIKE HUGUENIN

[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
646877.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Evans[/td] [/tr][/table]
You hear coaches at all levels talk about "character" and how important it is. Yeah, OK. This whole Evans situation once again brings home the one overriding theme in college sports today: It's all about winning.

Tyree Evans is a supremely talented basketball player. But when you look at the laundry list of problems he has encountered …

Maryland AD Debbie Yow reportedly expressed surprise when she found out Evans had signed with the Terps. Yikes. If that's truly the case, she and Gary Williams - and Ralph Friedgen and every other coach at the school - need to sit down and discuss the school's recruiting parameters.

You can argue until you're blue in the face that Evans has turned his life around and deserves a chance to play at Maryland. I'll argue until I'm blue in the face that a school such as Maryland doesn't need to take this kind of risk, that there are enough players out there without all that baggage. The bottom line: Premier state universities don't need to be some kind of way station for troubled athletes.

What I find especially telling is what his junior college coach told reporters: "It's not like he's going to have trouble finding another place." Again, it all goes back to that one overriding theme.

JASON KING

If Gary Williams is sincere and is truly committed to helping Tyree Evans become a better person, then there's nothing wrong with the Terrapins signing the troubled guard.

Colleges take pride in helping mold students into mature, responsible adults, and no one needs guidance more than Evans. Refusing to admit Evans could lead to more problems for him in the future - especially if he were out on his own. But the chance to be around coaches and teammates that care about him could alter his outlook on life and give him something to take pride in. Within a year or two he could be a changed man.

BOB McCLELLAN

[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
HUGGSNCAA100.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Huggins[/td] [/tr][/table]
When Bob Huggins doesn't believe he can get you into school, you're a player with a seriously tarnished reputation.

Huggins received a commitment from Evans while he was in high school and the coach was at Cincinnati. Then came the charges in connection with the statutory rape, and the Bearcats backed off.

A lot of people raised an eyebrow when Maryland offered Evans. The athletic administration simply was asleep at the wheel on this one. No way the Terps should have allowed Gary Williams and his staff to extend the offer. Evans has more baggage than the lost and found at O'Hare.

Some school is going to step in and grab him. His former Motlow coach, Bobby Steinburg, told The Sun of Baltimore in the wake of Evans opting out at Maryland, "It's not like he's going to have trouble finding another place."

Indeed, Arizona, Florida State and Kansas State were at the ready when Evans chose Maryland. But he might be too hot for a high-profile Division I team to bring on board.

If Evans is intent on playing Division I basketball, I'm of the opinion he should attempt it a little more under the radar, kind of like he did at Motlow, hardly a traditional junior-college power.

ANDREW SKWARA

Most kids don't deserve the amount of chances Evans has received. But Evans isn't most kids.

Evans grew up without a father. His older brother is a convicted drug dealer. His mother admits to hanging out with drug dealers. He lived in a rough area, surrounded by crime and all the wrong types of people and influences.

Place any kid in that kind of background and chances are they will run into problems. It doesn't excuse the rap sheet that Evans has put together, but it makes it more understandable.

That's why I'm disappointed to hear that Maryland is giving up on Evans. He appeared to be on his way to turning things around. Outside of a scuffle with a teammate, he steered clear of any trouble last season.

I'm hoping another school steps up and gives him another chance. Basketball is a way out for Evans. Take that option away and I'm afraid how his story will end.

Speaking of Maryland, they continue to crash and burn..

Gus Gilchrist granted his release

And Sean Mosley might not qualify...

roll.gif
roll.gif

Good job with keeping this thread going guys.. sorry i haven't been contributing more, i'm a little burnt out on everything but hockey right now andpretty busy with school... nice to see the number of diehard NCAAB fans growing on here though, usually we struggled getting final four threads going this longlet alone an offseason one.
eek.gif

Craftsy, what mid major's you like next season? My mind has already forgotten who's returning or leaving...I remember you were high on that Freshmenfrom Butler tho..

Roscoe Smith now offers from Louisville and Uconn..

Despite forgoing the spring travel circuit, Roscoe Smith is one of the hottest recruits in the class of 2010. TwoBig East powers are the latest programs to offer the 6-foot-7, 190-pound forward from Baltimore (Md.) Walbrook High School.

"Connecticut has now offered, and Louisville just called this morning to offer Roscoe," said Smith's father Brian Thompson.

Smith already has offers from Florida State, Georgetown, Kansas, Maryland, Texas and Texas A&M. Duke and North Carolina have been expressing stronginterest, and Florida and Memphis are the latest schools to begin their recruitment of Smith.

Kid is a star...I hope III pulls this one out.

If not a Hoya...I'd prefer to see him go to UNC or Texas.

Really anywhere but Storrs.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

If not a Hoya...I'd prefer to see him go to UNC or Texas.

Really anywhere but Storrs.

Roscoe to A&M
pimp.gif

Nah, with that list, I'd be surprised if weeven end up in his top 3. Turgeon has done fairly well so far getting kids from the east coast though.

laugh.gif

I haven't watched it in full....They had switched here for a good portion of the 2nd half...and I still refuse to watch
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom