College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

From what I've been reading, it looks more and more likely that Jamont Gordon will not be returning to Mississippi State for his senior year... regardless of what happens in the draft. If true, we'll be a pretty young team once again.

Damn Jamont. I havent heard ANYTHING about him in any workouts or anything like that. He wasn't even in Orlando. Is he having academic issues?
Originally Posted by kylewatson3

Lawson's workout was canceled by Denver today. If he holds on his top 20 guarantee, then it is possible that Lawson will be playing ball in Chapel Hill again. Also, Danny Green will probably pull out of the draft after suffering some injuries in Orlando.
Yeah, that DUI w/ Melo on the team prolly sealed his fate...

Danny should've never declared...Unless he's having the financial issues everyone is bringing up...

smh.gif
smh.gif

Damn Jamont.

I knew UConn wouldn't be as good with Robinson, obviously,
I was just stating that they would still be better off than a lot of teams.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Not originally, but in and out of there..you at least get a 50 cent soda in NY?

As summer approaches, the UConn men's basketball coaching staff is already planning for next season.

Right now that plan includes Stanley Robinson, who is expected to play a prominent role. His status, however, has been the subject of persistent rumors.

Coach Jim Calhoun said Friday that the junior-to-be is still part of the basketball program but has work to do to remain at UConn.

"He's got some things that he's got to prove to us much the same as, quite frankly, Curtis (Kelly) and Doug (Wiggins)," Calhoun said. "Right now Stanley is in the process of (determining) if he wants to be part of the program. It's the same package as the other kids with a combination of academics and social, and being on time and being dedicated to the program.

"He has time to show us that he wants to do the things that we asked him to do. There is an opportunity. He certainly could have a UConn uniform on again."

It is all about the Nutty(50 cent soda) and a slice of pizza.

Damm I love New York City (The Lowa Deck)

DAMM IU ANOTHER ONE GONE

A month ago Indiana looked like the team to beat for four-star prospect Demetrius Walker of San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) Jserra High School. Recently there asbeen some movement on the 6-foot-4, 200-pound shooting guard's list, and the Hoosiers are no longer the team to beat.

Walker is the No. 86 ranked prospect in the Rivals150.
California, Indiana, Memphis, Tennessee and USC comprise Walker's top five list, but the Trojans are now the school at the top of the list.

"Right now USC is my favorite school," said Walker. "They have shown me the most love out of my top five. Coach Floyd has been to a lot of mypractices and game. I'm feeling them a lot as a hometown kid."

Beside the attention that he has received from his local school, Walker is also intrigued by the opportunity to play for a former NBA coach.

"It would be great to play for a NBA coach who can show me the ins and outs of NBA moves and how to defend NBA moves," he said. "I'm lookingtowards the NBA just like every other player is who has that dream. I'm really looking forward to getting better in college. Playing for an NBA coach isgoing to teach me a lot of things that will make me a better college player as well."

This month Walker plans to take some unofficial visits. At this stage, he has three schools he definitely wants to visit.

"SCA (SoCal All Stars travel team) isn't playing in June, so I'm putting together a visit schedule," he said. "I want to spend some timeat USC, and I'm planning to visit California and Tennessee, also. I might not get to the other schools on my list this month, but you never know."

Demetrius Walker scouting report:

A power guard, Walker has a frame ready for the college game. He makes plays with his athleticism, but also has a solid skill set. As a scorer, Walker loves toattack the basket but also has the outside shooting stroke to keep the defense honest.

Thompson will have a chance to deepen his relationships with a number of other primary Georgetown recruiting targets next month when he steps in as an assistant coach for the USA Basketball under-18 team. Tryouts and practices for the squad, which will compete in Argentina from July 14 to 18, will be held at Verizon Center from July 1 to 10, giving Thompson the opportunity to work with Hollis Thompson; Brooklyn shooting guard Lance Stephenson; Raleigh, N.C., forward Ryan Kelly; Memphis, Tenn., point guard Leslie McDonald; and standout forwards Isaiah Armwood and Terrell Vinson from Montrose Christian in Rockville.
Get it done.

Originally Posted by Ecook0808

Since there hasnt been much pac 10 noise....

Zona has the best sleeper of this class in Kyle Fogg.....him and BJ this year will be NICE

Fogg is nice from what I've seen. Dude didn't start his recruitment process til late so he hasn't gotten much attention from what I'veheard but looks like he could develop into a nice 2 guard.

Damn these Plumlee dudes are certified Charmin
tired.gif

Maybe Lance Thomas will have a good off-season and develop, but so far he's been
tired.gif

Where is the next Brand/Boozer/Williams? Coach K needs to stop being scared of players leaving early and bring in some elite big man recruits. And @%** JT III,this dude is getting every damn player in the country to go to G'Town, when are they gonna realize they are gonna get stifled with that playing style, andbe forced into transferring. You would think these recruits would be paying attention...

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

I can't see Stephenson fitting into that overall scheme at G-Town.

From what I seen I would have to say that Lance does not fit in at G'town as well but he does look like the kind of player that can change his to fitin with a team.

when are they gonna realize they are gonna get stifled with that playing style, and be forced into transferring. You would think these recruits would be paying attention...
Well, going into his 5th year, he'll have made two players into First Round picks and another (JR) will be on an NBA roster. Summers will makeit, Monroe will make it, etc.

The system is beneficial to top recruits....those who understand the big picture. Every NBA scout and executive can tell who can run and jump...what canseparate Georgetown players, is their passing, shooting, defense, and bball IQ. JR would not be an NBA prospect had he not played in the 'system'. Somemight feel restricted and not like it all that much, but JT3 is not stopping anyone from making aggressive drives or cuts.

And it's why a kid like Macklin would be better suited with staying and develop his fundamentals rather than just go to a place where all he'll do isrun and jump...

He's not dumb, He'll adapt to the caliber of athletes he has now...the team will run more often. And when the pace is pushed, it's a beautifulbrand of basketball.

I think It's why a kid like Lance can fit....things will be different with Wright and Monroe compared to Wallace and Hibbert. And Lance, compared tosay...Kenny Boynton can fit....passing and playing within a team are strengths of his game. Not just a scorer.

But I really have no idea what kind of interest he has...I still expect Kansas or Memphis to be his place.

Yea Allen, I mean I actually like the Hoyas, and the Princeton offense is really pure basketball and a joy to watch if its run well (at least to people whoreally understand hoops). But there just isn't enough offense to go around to let a lot of big talent/bigger ego players excel. Lance would be making amistake IMO if he were to go to a school like G'town. While he would be able to develop his game, these guys are thinking more along the lines of let meget my shine. Also aside from Green, the last good pro prospect to play at G'town was AI.

I'm also just hating, because it seems like my Blue Devils can't bring in athletic bigs, and ya'll are scooping up EVERYTHING.

Yeah, If a kid just wants his #'s....Nah, it's not at all the place for them.

IDk if he's that type of kid...

(Not that it matters but, Sweetney was a pretty good prospect)

It's funny to see Duke in as top schools on McDonald and Boynton...top recruits.

So, it's hard to tell if they've just decided they're gona play this run and gun 3 point basketball....Or that big men are just not interested now,possibly because of the shortcomings of those in the past that went to duke.

I mean, to me if K wanted a 6'8 260 bruiser, he could go get one....seems like he just doesn't want to and will keep this current style of play.

NEW YORK - Madison Square Garden, which last hosted an NCAA tournament game in 1961, is hoping its $500 million renovation will help itland the East Regional championship as early as 2012.

The current Garden, which opened in 1968 and is home to the NBA's Knicks and NHL's Rangers, announced its plans for the building upgrade in Apriland now has its sights set on bringing back college basketball's national championship tournament in 2012 or 2013.

"When we announced the renovation, it was with the thought we would be able to draw a lot of these type big events we've never had," JoelFisher, the executive vice president of Madison Square Garden for Sports and Arena Renovation, said Monday. "And it's important for us to complete the2011-12 season, the first after the renovation, with an event of that stature."

The current Garden is the fourth such New York arena with that name.

The NCAA tournament selection committee, which chooses where the tournament will be played as well as which teams will be in it, has yet to begin theprocess of selecting sites for the 2012 tournament but there is interest in Madison Square Garden hosting part of the tournament for a 17th time.

"The renovation makes it much more conducive to the kind of space we would take a look at," Greg Shaheen, the NCAA's vice president formen's basketball, said Monday. "We are not in an active bid cycle right now with everything awarded through 2011, but it is always part of an ongoingdiscussion. Clearly Madison Square Garden is interested, and I think the basketball committee is interested as well."

Shaheen said the committee is looking at Final Four bids for 2012 through 2016 and will begin looking at early round and regional sites early next year withthe final decisions announced about a year from now.

Madison Square Garden has hosted the Final Four seven times (1943-48 and 1950) and has been the only host every March of the National Invitation Tournamentthat started in 1938, one year before the NCAA tournament began. In 1961, the Garden hosted three first-round NCAA tournament games.

Madison Square Garden has an extensive college basketball schedule every season as a home court for St. John's as well as the site of the NIT SeasonTip-Off, the 2K Sports College Hoops Classic supporting Coaches vs. Cancer, the Jimmy V Classic, the Big East tournament and the NIT.

"Right now, as a neutral site, we feel we have the best college basketball anywhere in the country when you look at our events," Fisher said,"and we feel we can add to that schedule without affecting the NIT at all."
The renovation, to begin in 2009 and expected to be completed in 2011,will be done in the summers and not affect basketball and hockey seasons.

East Regional in the Garden would be
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I'll tell you one thing, the renovations are much needed for the Garden. From the inside(not the court and stands) its a complete dump and due for a longoverhaul. Hopefully by the time MSG could host the East Regional St. John's will be in the tournament.
ohwell.gif

I'm still heated at missing out on Pat Patterson last season. He would be PERFECT in this system (really fitting the Amare type role). Damn we would havebeen good money if he had chosen us over UK.
tired.gif

Leslie McDonald post-visit interview

[table][tr][td]McDonald: 'It Was Amazing'
premium.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
541182.jpg

[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]
By Evan Daniels

Special to IC
Posted Jun 9, 2008
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Leslie McDonald was in North Carolina over the weekend. The Memphis (Tenn.) rising senior wing took key unofficial trips to both the UNC and Duke campus, as he hopes to wrap up his decision this summer.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
What were your overall impressions of the visit?
UNC is great. During my visit I talked to the coaching staff and they showed me around their offices. They brought me down to the gym and just let me observe the gym and I saw all of the Carolina blue and UNC emblem. It was amazing.

What else did you get to see?

They gave me a tour around campus and I got to see the dorms, the rec center and the Dean Smith facility and Coach Roy Williams' offices and the whole coaching staffs office and the weight room. They took me, basically, everywhere.

What were your impressions of the players?

They are really cool and really good down to earth guys. They were just really cool and made me feel welcome.

Did you get to play any ball while you were in town?

I shot a couple of shots in the gym and me and my dad shot a couple of shots in the gym. The coaching staff wasn't able to be in the gym while we were doing that, but they gave me and my dad a shooting gun and told me I could put up as many shots as I wanted. I had a little workout there.

What did you think of the Dean Dome?

I can't even explain it, it was so amazing. I was just amazed.

I'm sure you got a chance to sit down with Roy Williams, how did that go?

Roy Williams is a down to earth, real personal guy. He wants to get to know you and he talked about my family and he's more of a family coach and he wants to know about your personal life. He's a real down to earth guy. He's a real good coach and when we talked about my game, he showed me some things that I do really, really well and he was showing me things that I need to improve. All he was telling me was how much he wanted to improve my game.

You then went over to Duke afterwards - what were your impressions of the Duke visit?

The Duke trip was a great trip, too. I didn't know Duke was so close together. Duke is a whole different world. That's what amazed me, because going from Chapel Hill to Durham and then seeing Duke - it's like a whole different world. Their campus has a little gothic look to it, but it's great and they have a great environment and the facilities are great.

As you said, UNC and Duke are very different schools and programs…how would you compare the two and did you see one as a better fit?

I can't compare them because UNC is more of a spacious campus, where Duke is more in a little bubble. But if I was asked which one was the best or which one I felt better in, I just felt welcome in both of them. This is telling you the truth, seeing all of these campuses it's going to be hard to make a decision.

Did UNC and Duke talk about what role you'd play on their teams?

Starting off with Coach K he told me that he really sees me as a player like Gerald Henderson. He compared me to that type of player. When I talked to Roy Williams he talked to me about being a Wayne Ellington and also talked about one of his former players from Kansas, Kirk Hinrich. They showed me some comparisons.

Did either of the schools push for a commitment while you were there?

No, sir. When we were first talking, I talked to Coach K and I talked to Coach Williams - they told me that there wasn't any pressure on me. They just wanted to make me feel like I was home. They told me from the start that there was no pressure and they didn't want to pressure me into committing.

Where do you go from here with your recruitment?

After this I'm going to go home and talk to my daddy and evaluate the schools some more. This evaluation period is almost up because I've visited four out of my five schools and it's time now that I start evaluating these schools and hopefully come up with a commitment.

Do you have a timetable on when you want to get it done?

I want to get it done during the summer.

Having now visited four out of your five schools, do you have a date for a visit to the fifth school - Georgetown?

I haven't set up a date for that. I'm not sure.

Leslie McDonald Profile
[/td] [/tr][/table]

[table][tr][td]Leslie McDonald committed to UNC......
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
happy.gif
grin.gif

Tale-Tigermove.jpg

Leslie McDonald Becomes a Tar Heel
premium.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
552956.jpg

[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[table][tr][td]
By Evan Daniels

Special to IC
Posted Jun 9, 2008
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

InsideCarolina.com has learned that Leslie McDonald has committed to North Carolina. The 6-4 rising senior guard from Memphis (Tenn.) Briarcrest informed the coaches of his decision Monday evening.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
McDonald had just returned from unofficial visits North Carolina and Duke this past weekend.
"I liked the whole school from the gym to the environment and I talked to the whole coaching staff and UNC to me is like a family," he told InsideCarolina.com Monday evening. "The way I saw the coaching staff work together, with Roy Williams, and the way the players played on the court. I just saw the togetherness and the family atmosphere."

He also considered Tennessee, Memphis and Georgetown among his final five schools.

"I feel like UNC is the best for me and heading that way will really help me excel to get to the next level," he added.

Stay tuned for much more on this breaking scoop ...

You then went over to Duke afterwards - what were your impressions of the Duke visit?

The Duke trip was a great trip, too. I didn't know Duke was so close together. Duke is a whole different world. That's what amazed me, because going from Chapel Hill to Durham and then seeing Duke - it's like a whole different world. Their campus has a little gothic look to it, but it's great and they have a great environment and the facilities are great.

roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
glasses.gif
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by Krisp Kicks

Yea Allen, I mean I actually like the Hoyas, and the Princeton offense is really pure basketball and a joy to watch if its run well (at least to people who really understand hoops). But there just isn't enough offense to go around to let a lot of big talent/bigger ego players excel. Lance would be making a mistake IMO if he were to go to a school like G'town. While he would be able to develop his game, these guys are thinking more along the lines of let me get my shine. Also aside from Green, the last good pro prospect to play at G'town was AI.

Mike Sweetney was a lottery pick...they also managed to put 2 big men in the league since AI (White and Boumjte-Boumjte). Roy will be a first roundpick...they put dudes in the league...bottom line.

Them dudes were terrible, but it doesn't matter, they weren't there under JT III anyway...

I know they are going to put some guys to the league, they have a good team, and are getting elite recruits. But if i was interested in going pro and I was anelite talent looking to shine, I would choose UNC, Kansas, Memphis, Louisville, UConn, UCLA, Arizona, Michigan State, Texas, etc...

I just don't see how current and future recruits aren't looking at the number of players looking to transfer and being unhappy at a program likeGeorgetown (this is a problem Duke faces as well). Except Georgetown has only produced 2 good pros (AI and Green) in the last 15-20 years. Sure you can listguys like Jahidi White, Boumtje-Boumtkje, Sweetney (how is he gonna do my Knicks dirty like that after they reached for him in the draft), and now Hibbert butnone of them has been a great athlete or perimeter player who has had a decent career as an NBA player.

What major players have transferred from Georgetown?

Egerson, Spann, Thornton, Reed, etc. were all 3 star recruits...except for Vernon Macklin. So why would a 5 star let that deter him from the program?

Back
Top Bottom