College Hoops, over? Always next season...SI's Top 10 for 08-09

SAN ANTONIO -- The hoops world is not ready to move on fromMario's Miracle just yet. It's unlikely that anyone packing up and leaving Alamo-land this morning -- from the media to the Kansas and Memphiscontingents -- can get Monday night's drama out of their heads.

I'm just a greenhorn at this Final Four business (2008 was my fourth at SI), but I think this was a title-game finish for the ages, this decade'sclosest answer to the Keith Smart shot that stunned Syracusewhen I was just 6 years old. There are certain things from Monday's finish that I'll forever remember: my vantage point on Mario Chalmers' three, from two rows back and to the left of Packer & Nantz;standing next to Chalmers and his mother, Almarie, as they embraced courtside; listening to Ronnie Chalmers in theKansas locker room as he recounted sitting with Mario in the Alamodome at the 2004 Final Four, and how his son said that he would be playing for achampionship some day. After watching two straight Final Fours full of blowouts, this was the payoff, the long-awaited shining moment.

The image in my head of Chalmers' shot is vivid enough to still give me goosebumps at 11 a.m. on Tuesday. And perhaps that's why I'm stuck on it;because any picture I try to form of next season is incredibly unclear. There's a chance that the Jayhawks could lose their entire starting five:Darnell Jackson and Russell Robinson are graduating, Brandon Rush is going pro, Darrell Arthur is leaning that way, and even the miracle man --who wasn't thought to be potential early draft entrant as of last week -- is considering making the jump to the NBA.

If Chalmers were to return for his senior season, though, he could lead the Revenge of the Upperclassmen. The second straight tidal wave of one-and-donefreshmen -- from Memphis' Derrick Rose, to UCLA's Kevin Love, to KansasState's Michael Beasley -- are uniformly expected to enter June's draft. For the past two seasons one couldscan a list of top recruits and envision how the college hoops landscape would soon be altered. Last April one could see that Love would boost the Bruins andRose would take Memphis over the top, and I ran a top 10 in the magazine that nailedthe '08 Final Four. As much as I'd like to pat myself on the back, those were not difficult predictions.

Examine the incoming recruits for '08, though, and you'll see that there is no truly transcendent rookie on the horizon. There are a few good ones --such as McDonald's All-American game MVP Tyreke Evans, who might soon be bound for Memphis or Villanova, andJrue Holiday, who should fill UCLA's expected backcourt vacancy -- but there is no Greg Oden or Derrick Rose. Teams will rely on upperclassmen to save them. Perhaps SuperMario can come to the rescue once again? And if not him, what about North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough andTy Lawson, Texas' .J. Augustin, UConn's Hasheem Thabeet, UCLA's Darren Collison and RussellWestbrook, and West Virginia's Joe Alexander? Their pro decisions will matter more than anyone else's.

In writing a top 10 for next season so early (a practice we can mutually acknowledge the absurdity of, but at the same time admit that we're reasonablyinterested in) it's necessary to make a few educated guesses. And so on top of the players who have already declared, I'm assuming there will be a few more. Among them: Memphis' Rose and ChrisDouglas-Roberts, Kansas State's Michael ­Beasley and Bill Walker,UCLA's Love and Collison, Kansas' Arthur, USC's O.J. Mayo and Texas' Augustin.

Everything will fall into place over the next three weeks. Until then, this is my best assessment:

1. NORTH CAROLINA - Will leaving San Antonio empty-handed inspire key Tar Heels to stay for another season? Hansbrough could become the first back-to-backNaismith Award winner since Ralph Sampson's three-peat (1981-83) -- and along with Lawson, make another run at thetitle. If Ty takes off for the NBA, leaving UNC to make do with senior-to-be Bobby Frasor and incoming recruitLarry Drew at point guard, that championship will be more difficult to attain.

2. UCONN - The 87-inch question in Storrs is, Will Big East defensive player of the year Hasheem Thabeet (147 blocks)return and make the Huskies a title contender? Point guard A.J. Price (torn left ACL) is expected back for the '0:nerd:pener.

3. UCLA - The next wave of Bruins backcourt stars -- led by polished combo guard Jrue ­Holiday -- ­arrives as part ofRivals.com's No. 2-ranked recruiting class. The pairing of Holiday with Russell Westbrook should keep UCLA atop thePac-10.

4. PURDUE - Big Ten hegemony could begin here for coach Matt Painter, whose precocious band of ­underclassmen -- led byfreshman guards (and former AAU teammates) E'Twaun Moore and Robbie ­Hummel-- came within one win of a conference title in '08.

5. KANSAS - Senior All-Americas are a dying breed, but KU should have one in point guard Mario ­Chalmers -- plus abreakout star in Sherron Collins, who finished an injury-riddled season with a superb performance off the bench in thetitle game.

6. TEXAS - The Horns have nearly every piece of the championship puzzle: a three-point marksman (A.J. Abrams), a glueguy (Justin Mason), two versatile forwards (Damion James and Connor Atchley) ... but no tested point guard if Augustin bolts.

7. WEST VIRGINIA - If late-season sensation Alexander, a 6-foot-8 forward, sticks around for his senior year and teams up with top recruit Kevin Jones, a 6-7 forward, the Mountaineers will have a potent one-two punch in the frontcourt.

8. GEORGETOWN - Greg Monroe is no Greg Oden, but the 6-10 forward from Harvey,La., is the No. 1 recruit in the Class of 2008 and will help fill the void left by center Roy Hibbert's graduation.Look for unsung point guard Jessie Sapp to emerge as the Hoyas' MVP.

9. DUKE - The Blue Devils lose DeMarcus Nelson (graduation) and Taylor King(transfer) -- and Mike Krzyzewski could tire after coaching the U.S. team in Beijing -- but the nucleus for a FinalFour team, including versatile forwards Kyle ­Singler and Gerald Henderson,remains.

10. TENNESSEE - Junior-to-be forward Tyler Smith has All-America potential, but landing a five-star ­recruit--­shooting guard Scotty ­Hopson -- on April 1 was huge for the Vols, who need scoring power after losing seniorsChris Lofton and JaJuan Smith.

The Rest of the Top 30: Notre Dame, Michigan State, Pittsburgh, USC, Ohio State, Syracuse, Memphis, Florida, Kentucky, Texas A&M, Davidson, Marquette,Villanova, ­Baylor, Gonzaga, BYU, Wisconsin, Louisville, Clemson, San Diego.
Kevin Jones, a 6-7 forward, the Mountaineers will have a potent one-two punch in the frontcourt.
Put that name in the memory bank, folks.

If Love, Westbrook, and Collison leave, which I believe they will then UCLA isn't even close.

If only Jerryd stayed...top 3
tired.gif

Originally Posted by dfresh244

If Love, Westbrook, and Collison leave, which I believe they will then UCLA isn't even close.

If only Jerryd stayed...top 3
tired.gif

Yea. Yall had a shot at the title. Now it seems to be like this year almost.

Depending on what happens at texas, they could be the favorite next year... If DJ comes back, that's a great team. Without him, they could be verypedestrian.

Purdue obviously should be better.. but i'm still not completely sold on them - they have a lot of guys who all kinda play the same role for them, i'mnot sure who their real leader is yet. Maybe somebody steps forward next year.

I think Michigan State is pretty good next year. Pitt, USC, OSU, Florida.. all should be improved.

Wow, Purdue at #4? I am a huge Purdue fan and would love to see it.

Boiler Up

And we're not a top 10 team...

I'd be very pleased being top 20

Marquette is going to be real dangerous if this Buzz Williams guy has a clue

Brandon Jennings would have made that much of a diiference? I doubt it, wed be sittin here again next year saying how AZ underachieved just like every otheryear.

Im interested to see who else enters, i already cant wait for midnight madness already. Ill def be goin to rupp in mid october for that, atleast for one nighti can believe we can win the national title again. 10 years seems like an eternity for this UK Fan.

jayhawks might bring back the best defensive backcourt in the nation but that front court is going to be unproven.

aldrich looks like he's the future, size, fantastic length, solid athleticism, but he's going to have to put it all together on court and make a fairlybig leap next season.

the morris's should help . ( suprised they aren't going to stanford ) but they'll be freshman so it's tough to know what to expect.

Originally Posted by DMONEY23444

Brandon Jennings would have made that much of a diiference? I doubt it, wed be sittin here again next year saying how AZ underachieved just like every other year.

Im interested to see who else enters, i already cant wait for midnight madness already. Ill def be goin to rupp in mid october for that, atleast for one night i can believe we can win the national title again. 10 years seems like an eternity for this UK Fan.

Yes he will. If you don't think a back court of Bayless + Jennings, Budinger and Hill is a top 5 team you're crazy. We'll be solid still ifC-Bud decides to come back but like SCuse said it will be a lot like this year a lot of unproven talent.

Mark my words (even though they are the same damn enar every year) MICHIGAN STATE.

They only lose Neitzel in terms of impact, and after this year, the only thing missing will be his experience. He didn't take over games and will theSpartans to victories the way he had in years past. He was but another example of a guy who's senior season was WAY under where his Junior seasonpredicted...

Naymick and Neitzel were the ONLY seniors on MSU's roster... Everyone else returns, and Delvon Roe is cold, and should be an immediate contributor.Let's just hope Husband-of-Lupe decides to let his team run. They were electric when he turned them loose... witness what he let them do on Senior day...

4. PURDUE - Big Ten hegemony could begin here for coach Matt Painter, whose precocious band of ­underclassmen -- led by freshman guards (and former AAU teammates) E'Twaun Moore and Robbie ­Hummel -- came within one win of a conference title in '08.
roll.gif
roll.gif

YO!
Depending on what happens at texas, they could be the favorite next year...
Agreed. I had Carolina as next year pre-season #1 even back in February but I thought Texas would be the only team to dispute that if DJ comesback. All the other teams are DEFINITELY losing their keys. DF!!!

Originally Posted by petey yup

4. PURDUE - Big Ten hegemony could begin here for coach Matt Painter, whose precocious band of ­underclassmen -- led by freshman guards (and former AAU teammates) E'Twaun Moore and Robbie ­Hummel -- came within one win of a conference title in '08.
roll.gif
roll.gif

Obviously this guy has no idea of the potential this team has.

Kevin Jones.

Man, it's crazy how much talent Mt. Vernon procudes.
Sherrod Wright is next up.
They got some freshman guard out there now, too.

Depending on what happens at texas, they could be the favorite next year... If DJ comes back, that's a great team. Without him, they could be very pedestrian.
If DJ comes back, Texas is gonna be really good...

Texas A&M should be pretty good again next year. They really only lose Joe Jones and Dominique Kirk, but they have plenty of guards and Jones had becomedead weight anyways... If they can get more consistent PG play, keep an eye on them...

If Chalmers does leave, Kansas isn't gonna be very good... Even if he comes back, I don't see how they are Top 10, much less Top 5...

Baylor is going to be better. They lose nobody, and have a good big man coming in with Anthony Jones...

Oklahoma will be a Top 10 team if Blake Griffin is back... With the way that knee keeps acting up, though, he probably needs to make the jump...

Number 9 is about right for a undersized jump shooting team. God we need a big man really bad

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Is it just me or has Mario Chalmers been in school for forever?

I swore he was a senior
laugh.gif

nah he was in the same class as Paulus, I was, still am actually tight we didn't sign him. Especially seeing as tho we've had some damn good recruitsfrom Alaska
smh.gif

I'm honestly surprised we're as high as 5...we're losing 4 of 5 starters most likely....Well, I guess it could be worse.

I'm honestly surprised we're as high as 5...we're losing 4 of 5 starters most likely....Well, I guess it could be worse.

Back
Top Bottom