College NTers: Has anyone taken a semester off from college before?

Whether it's for financial, family issues, or whatever, has anyone on here done it? How was it? Did you end up going back to school or did you discover something else you should have been doing with your time and quit school altogether? I just sat back the other day and looked at I was doing with my life and I realized I'm a %@*@+%$ bum. I stay up till 4 AM, sleep all day and then just lay in my bed listening to music on my laptop, smoke, just doing absolutely nothing productive.

I'm in my second year so I was set on declaring my major as Mechanical Engineering since I figured I would make the most out of college with that degree since it's something that can earn me a decent salary right out of undergrad. I talked to my advisor at the beginning of the semester to see if I could get switched in to Mechanical Engineering now since I was currently classified as "Exploratory Engineering" at the time. She basically told me the department has to wait till the end of the semester to see how my grades look since I have already used all my drops for my first two years. I thought that would motivate me to work extra hard this semester but it definitely didn't and I don't know what will.

I have a Calc 3 test tonight that I know absolutely nothing about. I just worry, worry, and get nothing done in the process and I can't help it. After every test I bomb, I leave the room thinking "OK, time to buckle down and study everyday so I don't have to do through that again." Nope, same thing happens again when the next exam rolls around. I've been going to school year-round, every semester including summer, since I graduated high school. Just a combination of stress from school, my living situation, friends, drugs, and everything is just overwhelming me right now and I feel like I have no one to go to about it that will understand every aspect so that's the reason why I'm posting here because I figure that atleast one of you have dealt with these issues. I'm awlays fine by the end of the day when I talk to my best friend and hear the stuff he's going through right now at home and working full-time (he had to take a semester off for financial reasons) and it makes me feel better since I realize "whatever, it's life, just move on" but then the next day it's just the same thing again.

Cliffnotes:

- I'm stressed, %@*@+%$ up in school and have no motivation at all
- Should I take a semester off to just relax and re-energize myself?

Whether it's for financial, family issues, or whatever, has anyone on here done it? How was it? Did you end up going back to school or did you discover something else you should have been doing with your time and quit school altogether? I just sat back the other day and looked at I was doing with my life and I realized I'm a %@*@+%$ bum. I stay up till 4 AM, sleep all day and then just lay in my bed listening to music on my laptop, smoke, just doing absolutely nothing productive.

I'm in my second year so I was set on declaring my major as Mechanical Engineering since I figured I would make the most out of college with that degree since it's something that can earn me a decent salary right out of undergrad. I talked to my advisor at the beginning of the semester to see if I could get switched in to Mechanical Engineering now since I was currently classified as "Exploratory Engineering" at the time. She basically told me the department has to wait till the end of the semester to see how my grades look since I have already used all my drops for my first two years. I thought that would motivate me to work extra hard this semester but it definitely didn't and I don't know what will.

I have a Calc 3 test tonight that I know absolutely nothing about. I just worry, worry, and get nothing done in the process and I can't help it. After every test I bomb, I leave the room thinking "OK, time to buckle down and study everyday so I don't have to do through that again." Nope, same thing happens again when the next exam rolls around. I've been going to school year-round, every semester including summer, since I graduated high school. Just a combination of stress from school, my living situation, friends, drugs, and everything is just overwhelming me right now and I feel like I have no one to go to about it that will understand every aspect so that's the reason why I'm posting here because I figure that atleast one of you have dealt with these issues. I'm awlays fine by the end of the day when I talk to my best friend and hear the stuff he's going through right now at home and working full-time (he had to take a semester off for financial reasons) and it makes me feel better since I realize "whatever, it's life, just move on" but then the next day it's just the same thing again.

Cliffnotes:

- I'm stressed, %@*@+%$ up in school and have no motivation at all
- Should I take a semester off to just relax and re-energize myself?

Nah, keep going. Disregard semester off acquire degree holla.

I'm a spitting image of yourself. Pretty much everything you said applies to me. I'd like some insight as well.

I'm a spitting image of yourself. Pretty much everything you said applies to me. I'd like some insight as well.

Nah, keep going. Disregard semester off acquire degree holla.

I think it all depends on your personality.  Take time off won't do you any good if you don't use that time wisely.

I had to come home due to me +!$##!+ up in school/financial issues after my sophomore year and took some BS classes at the local JC.  After being at home and going to the JC I became motivated and developed short-term and long-term goals.  Ever since I came back to Arizona I have gotten the best grades of my life and have a clear path for my future.

I think it all depends on your personality.  Take time off won't do you any good if you don't use that time wisely.

I had to come home due to me +!$##!+ up in school/financial issues after my sophomore year and took some BS classes at the local JC.  After being at home and going to the JC I became motivated and developed short-term and long-term goals.  Ever since I came back to Arizona I have gotten the best grades of my life and have a clear path for my future.

real talk, i thought about doing this, trying to save up some money for a car etc. talked to my fam about it, and decided to stay in school, and let the chips fall where they may. i decided its better to keep pushing towards the goal of graduating, and making continuous progress, rather than taking a break. also a lot of people i've known who've taken breaks havent gotten back in school right away, so i def didn't want that happening to me.

im a 5th year senior if that matters...
grin.gif

real talk, i thought about doing this, trying to save up some money for a car etc. talked to my fam about it, and decided to stay in school, and let the chips fall where they may. i decided its better to keep pushing towards the goal of graduating, and making continuous progress, rather than taking a break. also a lot of people i've known who've taken breaks havent gotten back in school right away, so i def didn't want that happening to me.

im a 5th year senior if that matters...
grin.gif

I had a couple buddies take off a semester. Just didnt know what they really wanted and needed time to think about it

I am all for it but many will say that if you quit school now you probably won't go back.

I had a couple buddies take off a semester. Just didnt know what they really wanted and needed time to think about it

I am all for it but many will say that if you quit school now you probably won't go back.

A few of my friends have done it..the longer you stay away from college the harder it is to go back...also, school isn't necessarily for everyone. If I were you I'd try taking less/easier classes next semester and see how that goes

A few of my friends have done it..the longer you stay away from college the harder it is to go back...also, school isn't necessarily for everyone. If I were you I'd try taking less/easier classes next semester and see how that goes

Back
Top Bottom