Community College Vol.Is it good?

Hey i was wondering for all my NTers that went to community college....these questions..since i will most likely have to go there.
1-How long till you transfer out to another college?
2-Is it easy to transfer to another college?Like do they accept you right away or do they deny you because you came from a CC?
3-For those who did their whole 2year or 4 year regiment at a CC,is it easy to find a job and/or do you get a lower standard because you came from a CC.
4-Is it decent?Like is it like a normal college?
5-Is it expensive?
6-What college you transfered and what did you major in that other college(or)what did you major in a CC?

Thanks alot NT...Peace!

1) Any time you want. You can wait and get an Associate's Degree and then transfer or you can transfer once your GPA is good.
2) It's pretty easy. Check to see if your CC has ties to any of the colleges in the state. Some have agreements where they HAVE to accept you if you have acertain GPA out of CC.
3) If you transfer and get your BA from the four year school, nothing ever is mentioned of the CC. It would be like you did your whole 4 years at that fouryear school.
4) It's nice if you go to a good one. The classes are about the same, it's just cheaper.
5) It's cheaper than a four year school.
6) I'm waiting for GMU to give me an answer right now actually. I'm a Business Admin major but I want to major in International Business once I get toMason.

Hope this helped!

i went to community college before transfering to UCF. in my experience, if you complete your 2 years at a CC it's easier to get into a university. As faras price, im not sure because i was there on a softball scholarship... the classes are easier. I am a psychology major.

Originally Posted by NjCollector

Hey i was wondering for all my NTers that went to community college....these questions..since i will most likely have to go there.
2-Is it easy to transfer to another college?Like do they accept you right away or do they deny you because you came from a CC?
3-For those who did their whole 2year or 4 year regiment at a CC,is it easy to find a job and/or do you get a lower standard because you came from a CC.
5-Is it expensive?
6-What college you transfered and what did you major in that other college(or)what did you major in a CC?

Thanks alot NT...Peace!

2 years, but you need to complete summer an winter sessions since 12 x 4 semester is 48.
#2) depends where you want to go, don't expect toautomatically get into UCLA, USC, etc. but you have a higher chance than HS kids.

#3)haven't graduated yet so don't know.

#4)It's not normal, it's socially dead as everyone just comes and leaves really.

#5)No, CC's are pretty much free if you have FAFSA.

#6)majoring in communications, either PR or mass comm. haven't transferred yet.

1. usually people do it in 2...i did it in one
2. it is easier if you are transfering to a state school because a lot of them take you...i went the private but it was not difficulte.
3. N/A
4. its only as good as you make it...i was working hard but a lot of the people there made it seem like 13th grade
5. much less expensive then a regular 4 year institution
6. George Washington University majoring in political science but at CC it was general studies to get rid of a lot of my GCR's

overall advice...get in, do your work, get out

Just a quick question: how hard/easy is it to transfer to a four-year university after attending two years of community college? Any help is appreciated,thanks.

fashion merchandising major at nassau community college trying to transfer to FIT or Parsons

.......f'd up my 1st semester though
tired.gif

1- about 2 1\2 years. i work full time though.

2- same as any other college acceptcances. as long as you keep a decent GPA (low to mid 3.0s), you should have no problem transferring.

3- i doubt it.

4- Not really many activities. People just go to class then come home/go to work. nobody really hangs out around campus. harder to meet people. alot moreimmature idiots as well who treat CC as high school.

5- like somebody mentioned if you get any financial aid, you're pretty much covered. if not, its still pretty cheap (i paid like $14 a unit). but look atit this way, if you take the same GE courses at a 4 yr school, it'll cost alot more.

6- transferring to san jose state this fall. majoring in marketing and minor in economics.

like someone said before if you have a certain GPA there is no question you WILL be accepted to the school of your choice.
In my area the minimum GPA's are around 2.5

Originally Posted by MoMoney848

1) Any time you want. You can wait and get an Associate's Degree and then transfer or you can transfer once your GPA is good.
2) It's pretty easy. Check to see if your CC has ties to any of the colleges in the state. Some have agreements where they HAVE to accept you if you have a certain GPA out of CC.
3) If you transfer and get your BA from the four year school, nothing ever is mentioned of the CC. It would be like you did your whole 4 years at that four year school.
4) It's nice if you go to a good one. The classes are about the same, it's just cheaper.
5) It's cheaper than a four year school.
6) I'm waiting for GMU to give me an answer right now actually. I'm a Business Admin major but I want to major in International Business once I get to Mason.

Hope this helped!
MoMoney why the major change? I am planning to major in Business Admin too.. Is it true that you don't have to pic your major until you get to the4 year university if you go to a cc?

my sister went to a CC and she did really well there, then transfered to UC berkeley, and majored in Economics

Originally Posted by d0njaye

4- Not really many activities. People just go to class then come home/go to work. nobody really hangs out around campus. harder to meet people. alot more immature idiots as well who treat CC as high school.

You sir are 100% correct.

I thought I would meet some nice breezies, but the ones I meet have already been knocked up or just post immature high school skeezers.

Community College Social Life FTL!
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Skip2MyLou23

Better than an actual college or university? NO

Better than not going to school? YES
Co-sign

My thing is dont clain a major till u get the University even if u know what u want to do............. if u claim there going to try and give u some off theclases for ur major as electives and then when u transfer the University wont take the credits .........so u wasted time and money

Originally Posted by NjCollector

5-Is it expensive?

Thanks alot NT...Peace!
1. i went to community college of rhode island right after high school, and stayed for one year.
2. i got accepted to all 4 colleges i applied to for transfer admission (Northeastern U, Temple, University of Rhode Island, and Suffolk), and currently attendNortheastern. All 24 of my credits that I took at CC were accepted to all 4 colleges.
3. i have no answer, cause i only did 1 year and transfered to a very good 5 year program haha. (northeastern is 5 years because of its co-op program)
4. my cc academics were okay. atmosphere was terrible. bunch of losers, its either motivating for some people to do what they have to do to get out, or peoplestart to settle and will be in CC for 6 years with no progression to an Associates.
5. after grants, financial aid, and what not, i went for free, and somehow managed to get checks from the state for like 900 bucks a semester which was prettynice.
6. Like stated, transfered to Northeastern. Currently majoring in Economics with a Business Minor. Was a plain vanilla liberal arts major at CC. But applied toNortheastern as Political Science.

hope this helps.
good luck in the future.

Alot of schools have agreements w/ major universities where you're guaranteed admission, as long as you meet the gpa. Check their site for articualtionagreements.

It took me 2 years and a semester - the extra semester was necessary because I fooled around... it was worth it.
laugh.gif

Yes, it's a breeze as long as you have a high GPA. They do NOT ever deny you because you're from a CC.

3-For those who did their whole 2year or 4 year regiment at a CC,is it easy to find a job and/or do you get a lower standard because you came froma CC.

I found a job before I graduated from Berkeley through various networks via theschool and friends. Your employer most likely will be none the wiser that you went to a Community College - they just want to see that you have a degree.
wink.gif

It's a bit like a continuation of High School... but it's a good start to prep for a genuine 4 year school.

5-Is it expensive?

$20 a unit for California residents - $189 a unit for out of state/foreign students. Compare that with the cost of two yearsat a state or UC and you're saving bundles.

I transferred to Cal majoring in Business.

Good luck with everything!
daf260f3d112bf2ec2ed5d44cdbcb12e2f1e09cc.gif

^ not everyone gets to transfer to Hass
laugh.gif
grats tho

1) 2 years to get out, had to take summer courses after screwing up my first semester
2) There will always be a school that'll take you if you meet the requirements. Usually state schools will take you for sure.
3) n/a
4) It sucks but it is necessary, so what choice do you really have if you didn't get into a 4-year
5) Part of the appeal of doing 2 years at a CC is the amount you'll save. Make sure you start raking that scholarship money in, not enough people go afterthose
6) I'm now at USF (San Francisco) studying English. Your major also has a lot to do with how hard the requirements will be (I could have got into Cal forEnglish with a 3.3 or so, dude above me probably had to go hard [nh] to get in for Business)

All I can say is do your work, get through everything quickly, and don't get stuck. I've seen too many people waste away at a CC because theyweren't focusing on getting themselves out of there.

It's pretty easy to transfer as long as you maintain a good GPA it's also inexpensive I went because out of high school I didn't get alot of looksfor a scholarship for basketball except from some Div. 2 schools and I want to go Div. 1.

As long as you stay focused you should be fine good look!

Thats my plan.

kinda don't know what to expect but I will be going to Santa Monica College

I got back to Purdue in one year
Depending on which CC you go to some are sort of affiliated with local 4yr colleges so their credits are easy to transfer
It's nothing like a normal college to me it feels like a small step up from HS plus be ready to see many older students (40-50)
It is definitely cheap since that is why so many people can afford to go there
Transferred back to Purdue to the School of Technology

At first when I got out of college I thought if I went to a CC I would feel less of a person but really the classes are smaller so it's easier to learn andit's a great way for people who struggled before to get back on the right track.

Back
Top Bottom