Computer P.S.A. (helpful programs, apps, and tips)

Quote:
Is there a specific thing in your registry you are having trouble with, or just wondering? It's actually kind of funny that you ask, becasue I have been looking at a few different ones lately. The thing is that most of the trials are not fully functional, so you can't see if they really work like they say. If you don't like the way regclean works, then (cough) PM (Cough) I could probably help you find some other ones.

Thanks! Nothing really specific that I needed to know, I was just curious about finding one that actually worked and that was free. All the ones I've tried were basically trials and just had some issues wit it deleting some files that weren't suppose to be deleted.
[/b]​
[/b]​

altezzais650,
There are programs like Norton Ghost, or Acronis True Image, that will allow you to make an image (clone) of your hard drive. I haven't had great experiences with those programs, so I tend not to use them.

What kind of Dell 2400? Is it a desktop, like a Dimension 2400. If so my grandmother has one similar (Dimension 2350). I just put a second hard drive in for her. The IDE cable that was attatched to the hard drive only had one output, this is what I assume you are talking by only one connector. You can get the cable with two connectors at almost any PC shop for cheap. Here are a couple of examples of what you want,

Flat

Round

If you can't find one, PM and I'll point you in the right place. There isn't much space, so I ordered an add on cage to mount the second one. Here is a link to where I got it. www.rickmktg.com
The guy is a stand up dude, he is a long time active member of the Dell Forums, and is very helpful if you need it.

IMO it will be much easier and more satisfying to just add a second drive.

[/b]​

^^^ i had the same problem adding a second hdd to my family's dell system as the cable only had one connection and there wasn't a second hdd cage mount available.

i saw some dell dimension cage mounts on ebay a while back.. or you can always do an internal hdd + external hdd enclosure which is the best option imo.
<yo this is a nice introduction. they call me 35, one 82 is on production.>

Help! I installed some antivirus a while back and now I cant uninstall it from my computer. Why?

I went to control-panel > etc. > etc. but it wont uninstall. Whats the deal?

F-prot Antivirus is the name.
.::HOUSTON::..[/center]

Thanks snackworm
Quote:
If you can't find one, PM and I'll point you in the right place. There isn't much space, so I ordered an add on cage to mount the second one. Here is a link to where I got it.

thanks, the add on cage is tight, didn't know i could do that, however i wanted to take out the old 40gb and add it in my moms computer w/ only 20gb.

btw if i do add a 2nd HD to the my dell demension 2400 desktop do i need to change settings in the BIOS and will i have to increase the power supply and also fan cuz it will over heat?

Also with adding a Video card or Sound card, increase power supply also??? How do i know what kind a video card fits my comp (i think its a PCI) Are there different types of power supply, how do i find out what my is??
Wanted
Ds viii chrome sz 10

Email: [email protected] Bay Area Meet up

"Tell Me When To Go...Dumb,Dumb,Dumb,Dunb,Dumb,Dumb,Dumb,Dumb."

dont even bother trying to switch out the power supply. dell uses proprietary parts meaning their power supplies and motherboards are configured only to accept other dell brand mobos and psus. plus most high voltage aftermarket psu's are way too large and probably wont be able to fit into a small dell atx mid tower case.

- Yay or Nay? I've been holding off for a Looooong time installing this, but my comp's been kinda buggy and getting slow (recently had a MASSIVE onslaught of trojans, viruses and spy/adware. Are the bugs worked out? (last time I installed it, I had to uninstall for various gaming reasons) Any insight is appreciated.
next Tuesday!![/center]

RetroXIII if i add a 2nd HD will it affect my power supply and DO i need to change some settings in the BIOS.

Also how do i know what kind of HD to get ie IDE Ultra ATA100, IDE Ultra ATA133, SATA 3.0Gb/s, SCSI Ultra320 68pin, Serial ATA150. Thanks
Wanted
Ds viii chrome sz 10

"Tell Me When To Go...Dumb,Dumb,Dumb,Dunb,Dumb,Dumb,Dumb,Dumb."

i doubt it and no. after you install another hdd, windows will just prompt you to format the drive.

get a western digital or seagate ultra ata 100.

something that old wouldnt be able to run satas, and i doubt youd even want to spend the money for a scsi

There are manufacturers that make replacement power supplies for Dell machines, specifically PC Power and Cooling. There are also more powerful Dell power supplies than the one that came with your PC that you could swap in. There are a wealth of Dell components on Ebay, it just takes a little research to see what fits what.

As far as adding cards, depending on the video card, you would probably need to increase the power supply, but not a sound card. More than likely your motherboard has PCI slots, so you would need to get a PCI video card.

Brucelee,
there should be no issues with service pack 2 now. But that alone won't protect you from trojans and such.

Durty Pancakes,
You might have to do an manual uninstall, which would require deleting some registry keys. This is a link I found on it. Here

[/b]​

snackworm and retroxiii are the man thanks.

if i just replace my old 40gb and just add the 200gb only, how would i go about partitioning in to 2 parts with the cloned 40gb in one of the parts.

also do i run dual(2) monitors at the same time, program?

Sorry too many questions
Wanted
Ds viii chrome sz 10

Quote:
if i just replace my old 40gb and just add the 200gb only, how would i go about partitioning in to 2 parts with the cloned 40gb in one of the parts.
:smile:
smile.gif
), I use Norton PartitionMagic, I've never had any problems with it at all.

Also, for cloning your 40GB drive, I'd reccomend Acronis True Image Workstation, which is what I use for backing up/restoring/cloning my harddrive, and I haven't had any problems with that either.
aka Nickthestick91

what can i do to lower the space on my drive?

free space:688 mb
total space:4.43 gb

altezzais650
Quote:
^ can i clone it 1st then partition OR partition 1st then clone it?? Thanks btw
Partition first, then clone. Though, I've never actually used the clone feature with Acronis, I always make a backup image and store it on a safe partition. So, the clone feature may actually do both of the things needed for you, make the partition and then clone it.

EDIT: When using the clone function, I don't think you need to do any partitioning, since it copies the partitions to the other disk. Check this screenshot (darkened part):

11rf1uw.jpg

400block
Quote:
what can i do to lower the space on my drive?
Uninstall any unneeded programs and delete any unnecessary files. That's pretty small anyway, only 4.3 gigs. If you really need more space, buy an external HD and make your own case for it.
aka Nickthestick91

Quote:
what program can i use to rip songs off of myspace?

i use Arial Sound Recorder...very simple to use...
"If you dont know what im talkin bout
act like you do, later figure it out
If you dont know what im takin bout,
I dont either, Im still tryna figure out"
-Keak Da Sneak

I might have an opportunity to get a brand new Mac G4 for a very very cheap price. How good is it performance wise? What are peoples experiences with it? Any problems?

I will probably only use for some internet surfing and Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and some other similar programs.

Thanks in advance NT.
[/b]artist | day to day
terrorartist.deviantart.com​

HELP: My dvd/cd-r drive wont read any CDs or DVD's? Does anyone know whats wrong and how I can fix it?

Kicks R Me go to control panel, system, hardware then device manager (I think that is right). Check what it says next to your DVD drive and check the properties of it. If it is the same problem I had (code 41) then just google it and you should be able to fix it easily.
[/b]artist | day to day
terrorartist.deviantart.com​

Thanks Jiggaman, it didnt say code 41 though, it says the device is working properly, but its lying to me damnit! ill just do some more research

Back
Top Bottom