Computer P.S.A. (helpful programs, apps, and tips)

Is there a way to download and install the Vista Beta without having to burn the dvd ISO? i dont have a dvd burner... :rolleyes
eyes.gif

I need help removing a virtual driver off my computer. It appears as a cd drive "Z" I have no idea how to remove it.
Just trying to stay off the banwagon

hey
whenever i save a video to my computer and i play it the last 1/6 or so blacks out. for example if its a 5 minute vc mix, around the last 45 seconds the screen turns black, but the video is still playing and u could hear the noise. i use windows media player if that helps.
so wat im asking is if there is a way i can prevent this from happening. thanks

I'm pretty much new to Windows XP desktop customizing. What's the best program out there to use? I see Window Blinds, Visual style, etc. What is use to make your desktop look like a Mac?

Also what's the best place to download free Windows XP icons from?
[/b]​
[/b]​

Quote:
Is there a way to download and install the Vista Beta without having to burn the dvd ISO? i dont have a dvd burner...
Quote:
I need help removing a virtual driver off my computer. It appears as a cd drive "Z" I have no idea how to remove it.
Most likely, a program made it like Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools. If you have one of those programs and remove it from there.
Quote:
What's the best program out there to use? I see Window Blinds, Visual style, etc. What is use to make your desktop look like a Mac?
I don't use any programs, as they just eat up valuble resources. This is what I use:

To use visual styles with Windows XP, all you need to do it run a small update which will unlock the Windows XP Theme Manager to accept user created themes. Just download UXTheme, install it following the provided directions and you are ready to go!

Download Neowin UXTheme Multi-Patcher v4.0.

The follow warnings will pop-up during the update, they are just for MS to cover themselves. You can replace the origonal files by reinstalling UXTheme again. Make sure you click on the circled buttons or you will not be able to use the new styles.

WFP.gif

WFP2.gif

Most themes are stored in compressed files like ZIP or RAR. Uncompress the file to: c: \windowsesources\themes

To change between themes, click on Start, go to the Control Panel, click on Appearance and Themes, and finally the display tab. There you can change your theme by changing the drop down "Windows and buttons". You can even restore your system back to Window XP default theme from here.

To get themes, check out these sites:
DeviantART
Neowin.net
ThemeXP

I just got a brand new computer but i havent set it up yet. My major issue: Whats the best way to transfer all my files from this computer to the new one? What kind of cable do i need to connect the two computers? And i heard Windows XP has a wizard for this situation too...

Thanks.

Quote:
I just got a brand new computer but i havent set it up yet. My major issue: Whats the best way to transfer all my files from this computer to the new one? What kind of cable do i need to connect the two computers? And i heard Windows XP has a wizard for this situation too...

ftp.

download ftp clients for both computers, setup static ips for both, and connect them using a cat5e crossover cable.

hit up google for more info.
<yo this is a nice introduction. they call me 35, one 82 is on production.>

Thanks Nickhestick1991!

Also one more question. I just got a new Dell laptop with a widescreen. Everytime I close the notebook and open it up again, my icons are rearranged in the very top left corner as if the whole desktop view shrunk to size.

I even went through my monitor settings and can't figure out why it keeps shrinkin my desktop view/icons to the corner. Here's a pic of my desktop and I outlined the placement of my icons. This happens when I open up my screen. Is it due to it being on standby? hibernating?

Okay here's the problem. I re-arrange the icons to my liking as pictured.
158910190.jpg

Then I close the notebook then open it up, everything gets re-arranged as pictured below.
158913655.jpg

:frown:
frown.gif

[/b]​
[/b]​

When I scroll thru text like when I am typing using the arrows left to right I moves thru each letter really slow. The line moves really slow like letter by letter really slow not it did before. It kind of lags any help..
Just trying to stay off the banwagon

Quote:

Use the "File and Settings Transfer Wizard". Much easier than FTPing.

Make sure both computers are networked. If you've got a wireless router and both either have wireless connections or can be wired through the router, than you're in good shape.

Break out your Windows XP and pop it in TO THE COMPUTER YOU'LL BE TRANSFERRING COMPUTERS FROM. It should autorun and you should get a menu. One of the menu selections should be the "File and Settings" transfer wizard. Fire it up and follow the onscreen directions.

There'll be a point where it will begin looking for the computer to transfer to. Pop your CD back out, Fire up the wizard on the other computer, and follow the directions.

ok....so my computer got a virus by downloading limewire....i called customer care or w/e and said it infected my hard drive, so i couldnt even see my desktop...

we talked and talked and finnaly fixed the computer after a week...

now my question is...what should i get to prevent this from happening? i mean i already have the Mcafee virus scanner and all that, and still dects pups

i just dont like it because i dont know if it will have a virus or not...like i installed HALO and it detencted it, i allowed it and went well...

is there a program that will TELL ME IT HAS a virus? or are all these like Mcafee...

sorry if confusing..im real tired

Sup NT. Can someone reccomend me a decent external hard drive? Something that can I can store music on and play it on my laptop so it needs to be able to transfer data quickly. I am gonna need something bigger then 100GB that won't break the bank.

Many thanks NT.
[/b]artist | day to day
terrorartist.deviantart.com​

I'm a personal fan of the Buffalo line of external hard drives (www.buffalotech.com). Some come with better software (Western Digital drives come with great backup software). Other than that, they all pretty much work the same, so just get the best one within your budget.

EDIT: Just make sure you get one with a USB 2.0 connection and make sure your computer has USB 2.0 ports on it (most new computers should come with it).

^ That's nothin to worry about. It's not all of your files, just some protected files in the OS. Here's a screenshot of a scan that I just ran to show that everyone has locked files.

5028_nod.PNG

NicktheStick, I did that unlock thing to use Visual Styles but its not working correctly. I even went through the trouble shooting to solve the problem. Even uninstalled the patch and reinstalled it. Even did it manually. I can't get the Visual style themes to work. Does it work with all version of XP? I have Media Center, not sure if that makes a difference. I gave up in the mean time. Everytime I load up a custom theme from the sites you recommended, it just transofrms my desktop to the Windows Classic 98 look.
[/b]​
[/b]​

can some1 help me? im havin problems hearin on websites like myspace google video and you tube. i checked plug-ins for firefox and it says that everythin is enabled. if the site has like windows or real player it works. wat should i do?

Quote:
NicktheStick, I did that unlock thing to use Visual Styles but its not working correctly. I even went through the trouble shooting to solve the problem. Even uninstalled the patch and reinstalled it. Even did it manually. I can't get the Visual style themes to work. Does it work with all version of XP? I have Media Center, not sure if that makes a difference. I gave up in the mean time. Everytime I load up a custom theme from the sites you recommended, it just transofrms my desktop to the Windows Classic 98 look.
:\
ohwell.gif

I'll try to look into it, and see if I can find anything.

I'm also having a problem though, my computer gets past the Dell screen and just has a blinking cursor, so I gotta solve that first. If anyone knows anything about that, get at me.

EDIT: Damn, this is crazy. I can't find a fix to it so right now I'm running off of an Ubuntu Linux LiveCD. Hopefully I can recover my files from Windows somehow.

nick,
it sounds like you got your MBR corrupted.

Quote:

You can also just connect the two PC's with a network cable and transfer straight across.

[/b]​

Quote:
nick,
it sounds like you got your MBR corrupted.
After seeing the blinking cursor, I googled and saw that I should run chkdsk /r. That fixed the blinking cursor, but gave me another problem. Now when I boot, it says:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I tried to go into recovery console and get a new copy of that by expanding it from the CD, but it didn't work, and the next time I went into recovery console, it said this:

"The system registry does not appear to have an active ControlSet key.
The system registry may be damaged.

If your system is currently not starting correctly, you can try restarting it with the Last Known Good configuration or you can try repairing the installation of Windows using the setup program's repair and recovery options."

So idk whats wrong. :\
ohwell.gif

Quote:
You can also just connect the two PC's with a network cable and transfer straight across.

If you try it this way, just make sure its an ethernet crossover cable and not just a regular cable.

Quote:
The system registry may be damaged.

Nickthestick, that's exactly what's wrong with it. Somehow, the system registry got corrupted...the ControlKey area of your registry is pretty crucial. Only way out of this is either a backup of your registry, or a system restore. Otherwise, you might have to extract the hard drive, put it in a working computer, backup the files, and start with a clean slate.

Back
Top Bottom