Computer P.S.A. (helpful programs, apps, and tips)

Quote:
Can anybody answer my question.
:\
ohwell.gif

crack open your laptop & clean out the dust that has collected inside. that should fix much of your heat problem. after that, stick a "lifter" under it. it could be anything from a book to a store bought product with fans in it.
honoring the site that founded "The Study of Phat Kicks"​

Quote:
Is there any way for my internet connection to not disconnect whenever the comp goes to sleep? I hate leaving for a bit and coming back and everything being disconnected.
What do you mean by "disconnect"? Do you have dial-up or something? Or are you just irritated that you have to wait a lil bit for your broadband connection to reconnect?

Anyway, adjust your sleep settings to a more reasonable amount of time, like an hour or so. I have a laptop, so I have it set to only go to sleep when I put the screen down.

For your Internet connection, depending on what type of connection you have, there are programs that you can use to stop a dial-up connection from timing out. If you have certain types of broadband connections (particularly PPPoE), you could adjust your time out settings as well.

I have broadband and its connected always, but all my programs shut down for some reason and it just irks me. It looks like i'm not the only one either.

i know this sounds dumb...

but can I still get the old Apple (imac) skin for XP? i think its called AQUA or something like that?

can someone please email me that skin

[email protected]
that wasnt very funny....

^lol @ your icon.

I don't know if I was clear either on my post, but with my macbook, I can't figure out how to make it not disconnect from the internet when it goes to sleep. I don't want it on ALL the time, but I want it to go to sleep but still have my AIM or something along those lines connected. It's not a timeout either, just disconnected.

how do you get rid of winfixer? its starting to annoy me.
HUT!​
Vernon Davis: 2006 Offensive Rookie of the Year​

how do i fix my trillian it always crashes when i try to direct connect with someone
Dont Believe the HYPE!

Quote:
my laptop overheats. what should i do? is there a way to manually control the internal fan?
Most laptops, as they get older, have a tendency to begin doing this. There's a few things you can do.

1.) Create a spacer between the bottom of your laptop and the surface it sits on. Use a book or something flat that can lift the back of the laptop off the surface.

2.) Buy a Notebook/Laptop Cooling Pad. They're available at major electronic stores or you can buy them online.

3.) Clean out the vent fan. There's a vent where the internal fan blows out air. Try cleaning it up. You can (carefully) use some compressed air to blow out dirt and residue which may have collected.

Quote:
I can't figure out how to make it not disconnect from the internet when it goes to sleep.
You might just need to turn off the sleep function all together. Go to your Energy Saver preferences in System Preferences and adjust them to fit your needs.

Quote:
how do i play .avi files
Use Windows Media Player or the like. Depending on how the video file is encoded, you may have to download extra codecs to play it.

Quote:
how do you get rid of winfixer? its starting to annoy me.
www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=91765 It might be able to help you.
Sorry...can't find you any resources. Are you using ICQ on Trillian?

[/quote]

Quote:
how do i fix my trillian it always crashes when i try to direct connect with someone
I usually just use AIM when I have to direct connect with someone, because in Trillian, if it doesn't crash, then it doesn't work altogether.

Quote:
I usually just use AIM when I have to direct connect with someone, because in Trillian, if it doesn't crash, then it doesn't work altogether.

yeah i just use AIM but it doesnt direct connect on there either it could be my router but im not sure
Dont Believe the HYPE!

Quote:
Only if it's a CD-RW.

so not a dvd i guess.
ya im trying to burn one of my videos onto a dvd and im kinda new to the whole burning files onto CDs thing.

can i burn a .avi file onto a dvd-r so that the DVD plays on a regular DVD player?

Quote:
can i burn a .avi file onto a dvd-r so that the DVD plays on a regular DVD player?
Yes, Nero 7 can handle that task. You should be able to burn most video formats to DVD and play it on your DVD player. Be warned, though, that the quality might suck depending on how the .avi file was encoded.

Back
Top Bottom