Consensus on flu shot?

Flu shot?

• Yes

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters
I actually "got the flu" last year after getting the flu shot (last year had two major outbreaks). While the flu shot didn't provide full coverage of all of the flu strains out there, it certainly attenuated its effects on me. Rather than being down for the count for a week, I was back to myself after a day or two. I think people forget that while the flu shot isn't fool-proof, it significantly mitigates the effects of the flu if you get it.

I work for a clinic and have the ask people if they got the flu shot last season, needless to say the answers I receive.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-8733-1360605648-3.gif

I can't even remember the last time I had a flu shot. I don't mess with prescription drugs as well. I hardly get sick..... knocks on wood

Just got 1 flu shot last visit

It didnt make me sick

Fine

they want to give me the flu in order for me to not get the flu? nah, I'm good.

they want to give me the flu in order for me to not get the flu? nah, I'm good.
Disregarding the blatant mischaracterization of how vaccination functions, yes...they want to give you the flu in order to prevent/mitigate the impact of the flu.

You're being administered a dead/attenuated version of the flu so that your body won't be subject to its ill effects, but will still create the antibodies necessary to fight off the infection if you're exposed to its antigens.

If that doesn't sound like a good idea to you, I'm sorry but science and evidence-based medicine disagree.

This is my biggest gripe regarding the conventional wisdom/a lot of what's being propagated in this thread. It's essentially evidence vs. deeply-held beliefs.

Disregarding the blatant mischaracterization of how vaccination functions, yes...they want to give you the flu in order to prevent/mitigate the impact of the flu.

You're being administered a dead/attenuated version of the flu so that your body won't be subject to its ill effects, but will still create the antibodies necessary to fight off the infection if you're exposed to its antigens.

If that doesn't sound like a good idea to you, I'm sorry but science and evidence-based medicine disagree.

This is my biggest gripe regarding the conventional wisdom/a lot of what's being propagated in this thread. It's essentially evidence vs. deeply-held beliefs.

+1

Definitely can't remember the last time (if ever) I got a flu shot.

Every year I think, "You know? I'll get it this year just to see what its about."

Then I end up forgetting about it :smh::lol:

I haven't had the shot since a kid. I used to catch the flu and strep throat all the time tho. I had the flu the year before last for the 1st time in a while but it only lasted 2 days thank god. Don't wish that on nobody b.

I'll only have one if there is a bad strain of flu going around.

That’s part of the point of being vaccinated every year - the strains change. While they’re pretty good at predicting which ones you will be exposed to and producing a vaccine which covers those they’re not infallible so having multiple years of antibodies helps you.

I’ll be getting mine shortly.

Getting mine in a week or so.

If you remember H1N1 in 2009-2010. That flu strain affected a lot of young people. Saw people on the vent in the icu for months and others died.

If you're in healthcare definitely get it (no choice really). It's definitely beneficial for older strains, and there may be some illness because they're literally injecting it into you so you can build immunity. For me though, i'll skip it, the less meds the better to me. I'll take natural immune building vitamins/foods.

^ no they're not "literally injecting it into you". It's not a live vaccine (like a lot used to be - that's how they found how to immunize - intentionally giving someone a small amount of something like smallpox so they wouldn't die from it). The injection contains inactivated strains of the virus - which still trigger your immune system to make antibodies. It takes about 2 weeks for these antibodies to be produced so then if you are subsequently exposed to the virus your body can fight it off as it's already prepared.

There is a nasal spray that contains weakened strains of live viruses - but they're mucked about with so they don't work at cooler temperatures of the nose so again trigger the immune response without actually causing illness.

I have a family member with lung disease (25% left). Her doctor demands she and everyone around her in her family get it.

You don't just get it for yourself you get it for other people who getting the flu could mean life or death.

I've been getting one the last several years since having kids. Never even thought about it before that, TBH. Got my flu shot for this year a couple weeks ago the same time as my wife and kids. My arm was sore for a day, but that's about it. Hope it's a close match for the strains that will be active this year.

Back
Top Bottom