Considering a relocation to New Jersey: Any tips/ Info? + Relationship/ Relocation Question

I'm thinking about posting for two different positions within my company in New Jersey.  I've been living in Salt Lake City for almost 4 years now (moved from Texas). 

One is in Linden, the other Princeton.  Any local NTers have insight on these locations (Cost of living, descent priced housing, areas with young professionals, etc.)?  I know Jersey def has a higher cost of living than Utah (and that will be taken into consideration). 

I've been thru NJ several times (used to live in NY) but never spent much time there.  I had been planning on moving up to the Pacific NW (Seattle or Portland) but these two positions came up and got me thinking.

Another Topic

My GF and I talked about this a few days ago.  She wants to come out w/ me.  I'm 28 and she's 30.  The topic of marriage has come up before but I've made it clear I'm not ready for a couple years.  She is still in school and could transfer where we move.  Anyone dealt with this before?

Up until now, I never really gave serious thought about moving in w/ a GF.  Fiance is one thing but what happens if things go bad?  She's from Utah and would be leaving family.  I have no family/ ties to Utah (besides her).  So she would be the one leaving her "comfort zone".   

I'm thinking about posting for two different positions within my company in New Jersey.  I've been living in Salt Lake City for almost 4 years now (moved from Texas). 

One is in Linden, the other Princeton.  Any local NTers have insight on these locations (Cost of living, descent priced housing, areas with young professionals, etc.)?  I know Jersey def has a higher cost of living than Utah (and that will be taken into consideration). 

I've been thru NJ several times (used to live in NY) but never spent much time there.  I had been planning on moving up to the Pacific NW (Seattle or Portland) but these two positions came up and got me thinking.

Another Topic

My GF and I talked about this a few days ago.  She wants to come out w/ me.  I'm 28 and she's 30.  The topic of marriage has come up before but I've made it clear I'm not ready for a couple years.  She is still in school and could transfer where we move.  Anyone dealt with this before?

Up until now, I never really gave serious thought about moving in w/ a GF.  Fiance is one thing but what happens if things go bad?  She's from Utah and would be leaving family.  I have no family/ ties to Utah (besides her).  So she would be the one leaving her "comfort zone".   

If she comes with you to NJ, I'd suggest getting separate places. She'll need to create stability for herself in a new city so she doesn't smother you.

If she comes with you to NJ, I'd suggest getting separate places. She'll need to create stability for herself in a new city so she doesn't smother you.

Originally Posted by Patmc13

stay out of north jersey, place is hell...

laugh.gif

Figured as much.  That position would be a promotion.  The one in Princeton would be a lateral move. 

laugh.gif

Figured as much.  That position would be a promotion.  The one in Princeton would be a lateral move. 

if you want to live among young professionals north jersey is probably your ONLY choice. hoboken, jersey city, weehawken, etc. princeton would not be ideal for that.

if you want to live among young professionals north jersey is probably your ONLY choice. hoboken, jersey city, weehawken, etc. princeton would not be ideal for that.

Originally Posted by roback1991

north jersey if you want to see some action plus has alot of safe towns, I've been to Linden before places looks ok it has it bad areas

north jersey if you want to see some action plus has alot of safe towns, I've been to Linden before places looks ok it has it bad areas

Originally Posted by Napoleon

She's in school and probably has a job so if she isn't smothering him now probably won't if they move....yeah I know she won't know anyone in the new city but her  getting own place wouldn't stop her from smothering him.

you probably been with this chick 2-3 years if you're not sure wanna marry her don't move her across the country....move get yourself established still feel like keeping her around? then move her out.

Originally Posted by Napoleon

She's in school and probably has a job so if she isn't smothering him now probably won't if they move....yeah I know she won't know anyone in the new city but her  getting own place wouldn't stop her from smothering him.

you probably been with this chick 2-3 years if you're not sure wanna marry her don't move her across the country....move get yourself established still feel like keeping her around? then move her out.

Originally Posted by bruza

laugh.gif

buggin..
how it North NJ hell?..  it's the NYC suburbs.
Linden isn't exactly the most glamorous of cities though OP, but the surrounding cities (save Elizabeth) are

but realize that most of northern NJ is going to be suburbs, you'll be driving a bunch, but if you live in South jerz,  you'll be driving even more.

here's how it goes.
North NJ = NYC burbs
South NJ = Philly burbs
Central NJ = identity crisis area
tongue.gif

hard to place it...but the North has a more upbeat/quicker pace feel, while the South has that lazy type feel. I could be biased though, since I'm from North NJ.

either way though...Jersey is a great state in my book.
it's within 1 day's driving distances to many other places for a weekend trip if you want to get away.
there's NYC for the North, Philly, Atlantic City in the south
and if you're looking for something quieter, realize that there's a reason NJ is called the Garden State,  There are plenty of farms scattered throughout and much of South Jersey is quite rural.

....but really..why you you want to relocate for just a lateral move?  take the promotion

Originally Posted by bruza

laugh.gif

buggin..
how it North NJ hell?..  it's the NYC suburbs.
Linden isn't exactly the most glamorous of cities though OP, but the surrounding cities (save Elizabeth) are

but realize that most of northern NJ is going to be suburbs, you'll be driving a bunch, but if you live in South jerz,  you'll be driving even more.

here's how it goes.
North NJ = NYC burbs
South NJ = Philly burbs
Central NJ = identity crisis area
tongue.gif

hard to place it...but the North has a more upbeat/quicker pace feel, while the South has that lazy type feel. I could be biased though, since I'm from North NJ.

either way though...Jersey is a great state in my book.
it's within 1 day's driving distances to many other places for a weekend trip if you want to get away.
there's NYC for the North, Philly, Atlantic City in the south
and if you're looking for something quieter, realize that there's a reason NJ is called the Garden State,  There are plenty of farms scattered throughout and much of South Jersey is quite rural.

....but really..why you you want to relocate for just a lateral move?  take the promotion

she might be all in your +!$ if yall move out there together...

if you do make that move encourage her to make friends somewhere...

it seems like it would be easier for guys to makes friends but make sure she had some too so she's not all in your +!$

Back
Top Bottom