Considering move from DC area to ATL. vol. The rent is too damb high

DC too, these people don't know what they are talking about . There is a huge government presence, but there are just as many if not more Fortune 500 companies in the area.
I don't understand what the knock is on Fed jobs and Govt contracting to begin with. Why would anyone discredit or discount working for the Govt? Billions are awarded in contracts each year in a variety of fields. IT, engineering, graphic design, communications, healthcare... The list goes on. If you can't land a job in the private sector, then govt work is a very solid plan B.

The Metro in DC is hot garbage. Moreso now than ever. I keep on hearing news about cars on fire. Some woman died in a car a few weeks ago from a trapped car and smoke inhalation. Plus the whole single-tracking, running every 20 minutes type deal on the weekend is an annoyance. When I lived in the area I'd rather drive in the city and suffer to find parking than Metro...

Also, even though there's the "Dulles tech corridor", that still isn't private sector focused. DLT, Carahsoft, CACI, GD, etc...that stuff is all heavily geared towards the Fed. The area is indeed a contractor hotspot and you are genuinely fooling yourself if you think its not. That doesn't mean it's something to be ashamed of. It's the same way that NYC is for Finance and LA is for Entertainment and SF is for Tech...

With that said yes the area is a hot spot for young professionals and the city has a lot to offer. It's a powerful city. History everywhere and incredibly scenic. I really enjoyed it when I lived there but I also have no regrets from moving...
Metro isn't perfect, and yes there have been fatalities over the past few years, but let's not make it out to be some useless service. I use it everyday and rarely have issues with my commute. And I agree wholeheartedly with the last statement. DMV isn't the end all be all but it has a lot to offer and there are plenty opportunities to thrive. It all depends on you.

I don't understand what the knock is on Fed jobs and Govt contracting to begin with. Why would anyone discredit or discount working for the Govt? Billions are awarded in contracts each year in a variety of fields. IT, engineering, graphic design, communications, healthcare... The list goes on. If you can't land a job in the private sector, then govt work is a very solid plan B.
1. Because there is this idea that all FED. Government is, is a bunch of people that come to work late, take 2 hour lunch breaks, leave early, and don't do any work. You only get that from people that don't work in the Federal Government though.

2. Agree with everything said about METRO. Yes, people have died over the last 7 years. There has been some messed up situations. The biggest issue though, is they are constantly raising their prices. But like you said, EYE would consider it very reliable. People forget we are dealing with heavy machinery. Stuff breaks down man. 

I would hate to be a red line rider. Nothing but daily problems. Yea, us gov employees get a bad rep. Hate us cause you're not us is the reason most of the time. But there are many like that who take advantage.

Last edited:
Competition in the area is fierce, a "lazy" worker doesn't fly. Be it Private/Gov't/Contracting if you don't have the drive, you don't get beyond a certain level. Get that thought out of your head thinking folks are lucking into high paying gov't jobs.

Pin ups, onyx, diamonds of Atlanta.

Blue flame has a decent selection of you're into ratchet vagina.

I gotta visit pink pony one day. See if I can score a chance with Jada Stevens. :lol: :pimp:

Competition in the area is fierce, a "lazy" worker doesn't fly. Be it Private/Gov't/Contracting if you don't have the drive, you don't get beyond a certain level. Get that thought out of your head thinking folks are lucking into high paying gov't jobs.
Oh they don't know bruh. They scared. DMV government jobs hard to get man. You can get entry jobs around here like anything, but them Government jobs be hard bruh.

Pin ups, onyx, diamonds of Atlanta.

Blue flame has a decent selection of you're into ratchet vagina.

I gotta visit pink pony one day. See if I can score a chance with Jada Stevens. :lol: :pimp:
O yea forgot bout Blue Flame, some good yambs there too :pimp: ...i remember when i was younger trying to get into pink pony after hitting some club down the street from it (think club miami or something), they was hating said i was too young tho :lol:

The whole crew visiting our friend in DC in 2 weeks, pretty excited. We gonna be 20 deep, other than the sight seeing, excited for the turn up. My group is staying at the Virginian Suites, not the best hotel, but it's only like 5 min from the national mall and close to the metro. I need to go through this thread again and jot down all the bars/places listed for partying/eating.

Can't wait to hit up Georgetown, heard good things.

Oh they don't know bruh. They scared. DMV government jobs hard to get man. You can get entry jobs around here like anything, but them Government jobs be hard bruh.
isn't because vets get first dibs on them?

not only that but I always heard that was the main reason....a vet who is currently working a gov job told me that btw 

ATL brethren I went to a spot named Cirque. It was a dope lounge yo. Good music too..
Yea that place is nice. Atl is deep in nice strip clubs. If anything we got that :lol: Mardi Gras is another one. Of course there is always The Cheetah if your a real baller. Although a little overrated if u ask me. There are a ton of them tho. Onyx is nice. Magic City is a must stop if visitin ATL too.

Last edited:
Metro isn't perfect, and yes there have been fatalities over the past few years, but let's not make it out to be some useless service. I use it everyday and rarely have issues with my commute. And I agree wholeheartedly with the last statement. DMV isn't the end all be all but it has a lot to offer and there are plenty opportunities to thrive. It all depends on you.

Fair Metro point --- I guess what I'll say is that the Metro is that it is just that -- a good commuting option. Off-peak left a lot to be desired. Being able to get to Reagan off the Metro was great but straight up those long waits for the Metro on a Fri/Sat night could be real annoying.

I agree exactly with what you are saying about the Fed jobs/contracting...I don't know why so many of the residents here don't want to just admit it. The few Fortune 500 companies that are here have roles that are specifically are geared towards Gov't business anyways. People probably couldn't name 5 Fortune 500 companies within DC proper.

Then again I s'pose the reason I am vouching so hard for this point is because I (and so many others I know) wanted to transfer from public to private sector when I lived there and it proved almost impossible because it was a government town. And that is why I relocated.

Last edited:

isn't because vets get first dibs on them?

not only that but I always heard that was the main reason....a vet who is currently working a gov job told me that btw 
pretty much, look up "veterans preference", at my job we have to have a legit reason to pass over a vet as opposed to a regular dude. Don't let them be injured either, job is pretty much locked for them. But with all the troops coming home they're competing against each other. The old days of your aunt hooking you up are long gone.

Mardi Gras in ATL
nah-man.gif

if y'all really wanna make money in The dmv especially in the it field, become partners with the dod or work for a think tank in nova...i promise you that's the way to make it I've seen it first hand with multiple people

Last edited:
nolandw nolandw This area must not be geared towards your profession.

Thanks everybody think imma go with Magic City.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom