Could I receive welfare/food stamps? vol. College student

Status
Not open for further replies.
I make approx. $150 a week at a crappy internship/job. After missing various work days due to my boss not being at work or other things, this factors out to about 500 a month before taxes.

I live in Minneapolis for the summer and my rent is $330. I cover it. The rest of my money goes towards food and gas. I am a 21-year-old college kid going into his senior year.

I am legitimately struggling to make ends meet ... it would be a huge help to get some money towards food each month. It's almost impossible to buy good and fresh produce and stay on a healthy diet. I am really sick of eating ramen.

I'm not trying to be a cheater or mock the system, I think I really could benefit from this sort of thing. What do I have to do to start getting this stuff? What do you think I'd actually get??

EDIT: Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I really don't know anything about this. I'm just trying to find a way to get some food. Since welfare is straight monetary assistance, I don't think that's really what would be appropriate... I'm more looking at food stamps.

for the sake of your own dignity, can u really stoop that low? no disrespect, i don't know your situation. but if you're working at an intern, can't u just look for another job or internship? what happened to the days of being self sufficient?

Yeah I'm pretty sure you'd be able to.

I collected for an entire school year. Once I found a job that paid decent and allowed flexibility with my classes, I sent a letter to ask them to stop refilling my card. It's great when you need it, but don't be one of the people cheating the system. Good luck!

Originally Posted by NYH425

for the sake of your own dignity, can u really stoop that low? no disrespectful, i don't know your situation. but if you're working at an intern, can't u just look for another job or internship? what happened to the days of being self sufficient?
There's always that one guy
smh.gif

All my boys in college get about $250 a month.  Its pretty easy. Moms works at the F.I.A so i try to get the ins and outs.

yea I dunno know how it works in MN but over here in Illinois its not hard to obtain if ur a student. Here the requirements for students are you have to be living off campus, be under work study, or at least working 20 hours a week. If you work 20 hours or more a week but arent eligible for work study u can get like $70 a month somethin like that, but if u have work study ur GUARANTEED $200 a month. $%+ is crazy man. Im not eligible for it but My girl is so the $200 she brings a month on groceries is GREATLY appreciated.

you wont be able to. if you cant even get a grant from the gov't, there is no way they are gonna give you welfare.

and if i were you, i would by all means try and stay off. pick up a second job or something but ur in college, were supposed to be broke!

for the sake of your own dignity, can u really stoop that low? no disrespect, i don't know your situation. but if you're working at an intern, can't u just look for another job or internship? what happened to the days of being self sufficient?
I am really trying to change my diet and eat healthy, and that's really hard to do with limited funds. Plus I'm pretty sure the stamps come on a credit card-type thing now so there's no shame.

for the sake of your own dignity, can u really stoop that low?
i don't see anything wrong w/ this.. especially in OPs situation.. 
what would you rather have him do? deal drugs? 
grin.gif

I use to be heavily against this but then I see people in the hood selling food stamps for cash, living off of tax returns etc...if you qualify then why not, f' it.

i believe you have to be working a certain number of hours. a good amount of the college kids i went to school with had a link card so i dont know about that dependency factor (dirty)

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

for the sake of your own dignity, can u really stoop that low? no disrespectful, i don't know your situation. but if you're working at an intern, can't u just look for another job or internship? what happened to the days of being self sufficient?
There's always that one guy
smh.gif

....hey man, its just how conservatives look at the world.

- i mean, 'i get it' (conservative viewpoints). but at the same time i understand why someone would/could/should recieve welfare. eh, as long as they arent abusing the system.....why not?

Single 21 year old college student males do not deserve Welfare.

It's pathetic to resort to this level, to look for a handout.

Originally Posted by proper english

grin.gif

100% agree.  Dude is struggling financially but wants to stay on the right track and keep things legit.  Furthermore, he is only asking about how he can take advantage of social welfare programs that were created for people like him that are in these types of situation.  Aint no shame in that.  

Originally Posted by proper english

grin.gif

For real though some people need more than others, you probably can OP.

No different than 2/3 the people on NT that are collecting UE ... Working as an internship is no joke, you bust your @+% and get paid squat, if that ... I was interning at a radio station for college credits I didn't need and free USC football, Dodgers, and Lakers tickets ... And once my college credits ran up, I continued to work for the experience ... Hang in there man, don't be ashamed to use a system that is setup for this reason, look at the families out there that have more kids just get extra support ... You're working hard and deserve to have some reward, even if it is having to buy off brand cereals and what not ...

Have you looked into food pantries? I knew college students who were paying their tuition on their own, had minimum wage jobs, and were legit struggling, and they found a local food pantry that let them take bags full of food every week. The only thing (though it didn't bother them at all) is that most of the food was generic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom