Cover Letters...One more question then...

When sending out resumes along with the cover letter, say you're applying to a bunch of companies in the same general field of work, do you guys overhaulthe cover letter for each company or just make minor tweaks depending on the job and send more or less the same cover letter out?

Ok, seem to have found the answer to this one...one more question then. I'm looking for a finance internship but really have no related WORK experience,which kinda sucks. But, I do participate in an extracurricular School Investment Fund...it's real money, $100,000, and we basically have to invest and tryto outperform the S&P 500. So my question, I was thinking of putting it under the EXPERIENCE section of the resume since that's at the top usually andI think it will help inflate the experience section quite a bit. But is the EXPERIENCE section meant for work stuff only or think this counts?

Originally Posted by EastCoastPapi

i make tweaks if its the same field

This.

The amount of cover letters I did earlier this year would've killed me if I'd written a new one each time. Trying to find a job ftl
smh.gif

Experience question... I def think you should put that there. There's a lot of stuff that we experience in life that can add to the things that make us agood candidate for a job. But I'd only put things in there that are relevant to the job you're going for... Hope that helps dude.

Edit: I'm not meaning under 'work experience' (as some people may read it that way) but under a field of experience that's relevant to the job(aka skills you have that would be beneficial towards the position).

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

Experience question... I def think you should put that there. There's a lot of stuff that we experience in life that can add to the things that make us a good candidate for a job. But I'd only put things in there that are relevant to the job you're going for... Hope that helps dude.

What they said.

School Investment Fund wouldn't go under WORK EXP. cuz that isn't a job

You can make a special field for that. you can even leave it out and just put it in the Cover Letter.

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

When sending out resumes along with the cover letter, say you're applying to a bunch of companies in the same general field of work, do you guys overhaul the cover letter for each company or just make minor tweaks depending on the job and send more or less the same cover letter out?

Ok, seem to have found the answer to this one...one more question then. I'm looking for a finance internship but really have no related WORK experience, which kinda sucks. But, I do participate in an extracurricular School Investment Fund...it's real money, $100,000, and we basically have to invest and try to outperform the S&P 500. So my question, I was thinking of putting it under the EXPERIENCE section of the resume since that's at the top usually and I think it will help inflate the experience section quite a bit. But is the EXPERIENCE section meant for work stuff only or think this counts?
You have one of the exact same ICs I do.

I'm interested to see how other school's student run portfolios are performing.

As far as where to put the investment club stuff. It depends on what job you are applying too.

If you are applying with to a typical industrial/fortune 500 company or consulting firm, put it with activities. However, if you are applying to a wall streetFinancial Institution, you might be able to stick it with experiance. Like another NTer mentioned, it's not a job. Experience typically means...workexperience.

Warning: If you are applying to an Investment Bank and that investment club stuff is on your resume, be prepared to get grilled.

Example

"Name some of the positions in your club's portfolio"
"Describe your management strategies during the financial crisis"

They'll probably ask about a specific stock you guys are holding then ask basic stuff like
"What's the P/E ratio of X stock"
"How much is it up over the year"
"What did X stock in your portfolio close at yesterday, the day before yesterday? Where do you see that stock next week"
"Based on your stock experience, What stock do you suggest our trading desk buy/sell next week and why"

Or you might not get any questions about your portfolio. My point is this, if it's on there............be prepared for the worst.

That's of course if you're going to wall street. If your not, the investment club stuff is cool but not really Experience worthy unless you'venever interned in your life and NEED something there other than seasonal jobs.

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

That's of course if you're going to wall street. If your not, the investment club stuff is cool but not really Experience worthy unless you've never interned in your life and NEED something there other than seasonal jobs.
well i'm looking for my FIRST internship...so i'm just in need of anything to inflate my resume a bit ya know...? i had the same summerand winter break job for 4 years straight...but it's completely irrelevant to any internship i'd be looking for.

Back
Top Bottom