DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

Whedon directing for DC has probably sailed. He really wanted to do the WW movie at one point and they dumped him before he even got a chance to write the movie. Now they have someone else already doing the one DC movie he was excited to do.

Master Zik Master Zik

Repped for sharing some quality information

View media item 2039586

This. I'm outta reps, but Zik is getting multiples when I'm recharged. I've done my best over the last decade or so to try avoid conic book movie news and rumors so I can go into theaters completely unaware of what I'm about to see, so other than the failed Miller JLA pic I haven't really paid attention to the behind-the-scenes machinations until after I've seen the finished products. Many thanks for the knowledge!

I'm good on Whedon. I like him a lot, but the best aspects of his MCU films are that he got to put those characters together for the first time. The Russo Bros just knocked it out of the park. They made the best Captain America film, the second best Iron Man film, and the best Avengers film, all in one movie. Giant Man looked more powerful than Ultron did. They needed all of Team Iron Man to take him down.

AOU followed the same cues as Avengers 1. Team group discussion, villain ruins their fun, someone gets mind controlled, track down villain, fight a horde of things that the Avengers make light work of and take out the main villain easily after. After TWS and CW, I can easily see why Marvel passed the ensemble films over to them. Like great comic book writers and artists, I wish filmmakers could "freelance" and make projects for both publishers.

FYI I only recently found out about the search for a MOS director and Snyder getting the job for JL in this thread if I'm not mistaken.

Another NTer dropped the link and we were discussing it right before BvS came out or right around the early critic reviews for BvS were coming out and we were wondering how Snyder got the job.

That a bunch of good directors find the task of helming a shared comic cinematic universe too daunting is very telling. Especially if you focus on DC and look at the problems there are with modernizing Superman to not make him seem overpowered or boring. Stuff like Trank crashing and burning comes to mind. Keep in mind after failing with GL (which I'm sure was Johns idea :lol: and whoever else loves GL and cosmic ****) the execs decided to kick off their shared universe with Superman which makes sense given his status and technically being the first superhero. Socially speaking its a more natural choice than Iron Man kicking off your shared world.

Problem ended up being story and execution. Plus just look at things now, Batman is forming the ******* Justice League cuz Superman is dead. The execs that originally wanted Nolan to make that shared universe spin off his Batman movie are technically getting what they want. Batman being the center of your movieverse.

The Green Lantern film was mainly on Earth. The only time it wasn't was for a training montage. :smh:

The new Fantastic Four was pretty weak in their version of the Negative Zone.

The best cosmic CBM has been GOTG, but if someone ever makes a great Green Lantern, Fantastic Four, or Silver Surfer film. My goodness. Fingers crossed that they kill off Heimdall and String can play John Stewart in 2020.

Tyrese was campaigning HARD. I'm a fan of him and I want to see my brother flourish in Hollywood, but I don't think he's right for John Stewart.

It would almost be as bad as Channing Tatum playing Gambit. :nerd:

Tyrese was campaigning HARD. I'm a fan of him and I want to see my brother flourish in Hollywood, but I don't think he's right for John Stewart.

It would almost be as bad as Channing Tatum playing Gambit. :nerd:

Tatum will be the perfect Gambit. You'll see.

When I think of Gambit, I think of a lanky, smooth, slick talking, Cajun thief with style. Channing Tatum is like a mildly funny frat boy. He looks like someone who shouts at himself in the gym and plays ultimate frisbee.

He's one of the last people I would choose to play Gambit. My friend legit asked me if Channing Tatum had a speech impediment after seeing him in that underground street fighting movie. I know he's from there, but I really don't want to hear him butcher a Cajun accent.

Gambit has always been a character that caters to the female gaze.

Given Channing Tatums southern background and familerity with cajun culture/ accent

Seems perfect for Gambit to me...

Last edited:
Studios most likely don't have much confidence in Kitsch even after True Detective.

He's probably not seen as leading actor material, especially for a solo film.

Last edited:
Well they gave him the lead in John Carter, which failed of course. But that failure also wasn't his fault in my opinion. There were numerous other problems with the way that film was handled.

Damn shame, because the entire John Carter mythos is so freaking great. :smh:

Last edited:
Well they gave him the lead in John Carter, which failed of course. But that failure also wasn't his fault in my opinion. There were numerous other problems with the way that film was handled.

Damn shame, because the entire John Carter mythos is so freaking great. :smh:

Oh I'm not saying that **** is fair but sadly thats the way it is for him

I would rather them try with Kitsch again and stop with Jai Courtney. How that guy keeps getting work is beyond me.

Back
Top Bottom