DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

[h1]‘Suicide Squad’s Box Office Tally Tops $500 Million Worldwide[/h1][h3]BY DAVE TRUMBORE        2 HOURS AGO[/h3]
suicide-squad-margot-robbie-slice-600x200.jpg

David Ayer‘s Suicide Squad  is looking to steal another #1 spot at the box office this weekend. That would put the Warner Bros./DC Comics film in elite competition in 2016 since only DeadpoolZootopiaThe Jungle Book, and Finding Dory  have managed to hold off newcomers for the top spot three weekends in a row. In other words, it’s a feat that neither Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice  or Captain America: Civil War  could manage this year. That’s pretty impressive, if it works out the way analysts are predicting.

The financial success continues for the antihero film since it just crossed the $500 million mark at the worldwide box office  this week, ahead of its third frame. Suicide Squad  will face newcomers Ben-Hur  from MGM and Paramount, which could turn in anywhere between $15 and $20 million (though I wouldn’t be surprised if the faith-based moviegoing market helped push it higher than expected); Warner Bros. R-rated comedy War Dogs  between $12 and $15 million; and Laika/Focus Features’ animated epic Kubo and the Two Strings. Past domestic opening weekends for the stop-motion picture house have been between $14 and 18 million.

And yet, despite Suicide Squad‘s success so far, analysts are expecting the film to fall short of mega-blockbuster box office performances. Expectations have the flick topping out around $600 to $650 million world wide. Certainly a hit for the studio, but nowhere near the billion-dollar-club. Still, a solo Deadshotand/or Harley Quinn  movie should be an easy sell moving forward.

Last edited:
ZACK SNYDER'S SUPERMAN ISN'T 'DARK,' HE'S 'RELATABLE'

Speaking with Forbes earlier this year, Deborah Snyder, who produced "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" with her husband Zack, spoke at length about DC Films' upcoming slate. Yesterday the site published more of her interview with columnist Mark Hughes, in which she deflected criticism that the Snyders' version of Superman, which originated in "Man of Steel," was too "dark" compared with previous interpretations of the character.

"That’s the great thing about our Superman. He is more relatable," Snyder said. "Someone said, 'It’s so dark,' and I go, 'Well, is it dark? He’s going through real problems that we go through as people every day.' To me that’s not dark, that’s life. We’re complicated people. And we’re making him in that way more relatable.
"People are complex, we’re not strictly just the good Boy Scout trying to do good," she continued. "He does want to do good, and I think all of the the things Superman represents are who he is, but he also stumbles along the way and learns from it. To me, that’s so much more interesting."
She ain't lying. I remember when I transferred to a new school and felt like an outcast but a teacher and guidance counselor told me that the students simply would fear me so I should only help them out from the shadows. Then one day the teacher died from choking during lunch when I could've saved him by using the Heimlich maneuver but he told me not to so others wouldn't see. I spent the rest of my time helping students and faculty without them knowing; freeing them when they're stuffed in lockers, hooking them up with free tutoring, stuff like that.

Then one day a group of students transferred to the school and they were just like me but they were a gang. They wanted to take over the school and make it like the old school they went to. They wanted me to join and destroyed several classrooms when I refused. We fought and I was forced to snap the gang leader's neck after the rest of the gang was expelled.

The Snyder's Superman is totally relatable dealing with complex real life problems and far from dark. So interesting.

Last edited:
Speaking with Forbes earlier this year, Deborah Snyder, who produced "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" with her husband Zack, spoke at length about DC Films' upcoming slate. Yesterday the site published more of her interview with columnist Mark Hughes, in which she deflected criticism that the Snyders' version of Superman, which originated in "Man of Steel," was too "dark" compared with previous interpretations of the character.

"That’s the great thing about our Superman. He is more relatable," Snyder said. "Someone said, 'It’s so dark,' and I go, 'Well, is it dark? He’s going through real problems that we go through as people every day.' To me that’s not dark, that’s life. We’re complicated people. And we’re making him in that way more relatable.
"People are complex, we’re not strictly just the good Boy Scout trying to do good," she continued. "He does want to do good, and I think all of the the things Superman represents are who he is, but he also stumbles along the way and learns from it. To me, that’s so much more interesting."
She ain't lying. I remember when I transferred to a new school and felt like an outcast but a teacher and guidance counselor told me that the students simply would fear me so I should only help them out from the shadows. Then one day the teacher died from choking during lunch when I could've saved him by using the Heimlich maneuver but he told me not to so others wouldn't see. I spent the rest of my time helping students and faculty without them knowing; freeing them when they're stuffed in lockers, hooking them up with free tutoring, stuff like that.

Then one day a group of students transferred to the school and they were just like me but they were a gang. They wanted to take over the school and make it like the old school they went to. They wanted me to join and destroyed several classrooms when I refused. We fought and I was forced to snap the gang leader's neck after the rest of the gang was expelled.

The Snyder's Superman is totally relatable dealing with complex real life problems and far from dark. So interesting.

She's right. I've said it since my first round of battling with people over the film. Costner told young Clark multiple times he had to stay hidden, that the world wouldn't understand him, and would fear him. He was right. Clark had to learn for himself when was the right time to come clean. (well, that, and the famous Lois Lane chasin him down as well as his alien brothers showin up)

It's been part of my argument from jump. That's more "today" than savin cats in trees, and bustin jewelry thieves like the OG movies did. This is a much more relatable story, but no surprise at all who would mock that and think they're doin it.

I mean if you really think that's more relatable and interesting, okay. I don't. I think the choices made to make Superman deal with issues that are modern were horrible.

That they thought this specific way was the right way to go coming off the topical issues and character arcs in TDKR is baffling.

The idea that it's either letting your father die or saving kittens from trees is a brain dead stupid argument.

But yeah the reason I didn't like this approach is cuz it was too relatable. Just got too close to home :rolleyes

not sure how hes disappointed with his scenes being cut if he hasnt seen the movie

he had more than enough scenes considering he was not the main protagonist nor antagonist
I assume he based that off the amount of scenes he filmed. A week's worth wouldn't be A lot but say 2 weeks worth of different scenes would give you the indication you're in a movie for a good chunk barring rewrites and editing.

There's also the time shortly after that where the school's resident paranoid psychopath challenged me but that's a tale for another time

Last edited:

View media item 2129801

Momoa-man and Batfleck solo films are gonna save DCEU

We'll have to survive some more garbage until 2018

Would be sick if they did a Watchmen style intro that included Batman and Robin's past adventures 

The real problem I have with this argument is the idea that Superman is somehow more relatable now in Man of Steel and Dawn of Justicethan he has ever been in the past. And really it can probably extend to the idea that Superman is just a Boy Scout who wants to do good if he's not portrayed like he is in the most recent films. For a long time now writers have done their absolute best to make this character relatable to the common man and in some ways he already was from the jump. Really there's no concept in terms of identity that was placed in these 2 films that didn't already exist somewhere in the mythos. Clark being conflicted over how to, when to, or if he should use his powers? Superman: Earth One, Superman Secret Identity, etc. Humans fearing this new being with amazing powers and not knowing exactly how to react to him? Superman Birthright. Superman making various mistakes as he slowly grows to be the most well-known hero on the planet? Smallville. Superman feeling like an outcast? Too many stories to name.These are just a few examples and all of these thigns and more appear in different places throughout the Superman mythos. Notably, it's rare that these appearances have received the same criticism of being "dark" that the most recent portrayals have. Why? Becuase the most recent portrayals are dark, in terms of the way they go about getting these classic Superman themes and ideas across to people.

For my money, Smallville is the best live action version of Superman (And Lex Luthor) that we've ever had and probably ever will have. It covers pretty much everything you need to know about the character. Parents, villains, relationships, supporting cast, setting, powers, values, origin, etc. And it's not dark. Are there grim moments? Of course. People die, they get killed, our hero loses against the villain(s) every now and again, but the show itself rests on a central foundation of hope and idealism that is constant throughout its run. You see it in Clark, his parents, and various other places within the series. DCEU Superman doesn't really have this. Speaking as someone who thinks that Man of Steel is the best live action Superman film there's been and who genuinely enjoyed it, along with Dawn of Justice the dude isn't the most relatable Superman we've ever seen. He's got problems, but that's nothing new in Superman's world anymore than Batman being obsessed with his parents murder or being negatively effected by Robin's death is new.

I was with you until the end :lol: Like the very end, last 2 sentences.

Really good post though. Addresses a lot that ppl try to pretend is not an issue and cuts through the bull ****.

Too many ppl approach Superman in the stereotypical fashion that he's just a boy scout. I mean sure if you want to do a shallow dismissal cuz you're propping up Batman and you don't want to get in to details and actually discuss it is one thing but in any sort of in depth discussion about what works and what doesn't that ignorant **** won't fly at all.

Last edited:
I didn't know who he was either, but he was born to play Shazam. He's a big dude who's got the youthful look and personality of Shazam already. Some fans have been lobbying for him on social media and message boards.

I saw this guy suggested on social media. I don't know who he is and I've never heard of this show, but this guy would be PERFECT for Shazam!

She's right. I've said it since my first round of battling with people over the film. Costner told young Clark multiple times he had to stay hidden, that the world wouldn't understand him, and would fear him. He was right. Clark had to learn for himself when was the right time to come clean. (well, that, and the famous Lois Lane chasin him down as well as his alien brothers showin up)

It's been part of my argument from jump. That's more "today" than savin cats in trees, and bustin jewelry thieves like the OG movies did. This is a much more relatable story, but no surprise at all who would mock that and think they're doin it.

Back
Top Bottom