DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

Watched it with the fam this afternoon. Loved the movie and I thought the organized crime focus with detective Batman was great. Gives Gotham a more real feel with the idea that the whole system is corrupted. I rewatched The Dark Knight yesterday and I can honestly say I prefer this new one better.

Watched it with the fam this afternoon. Loved the movie and I thought the organized crime focus with detective Batman was great. Gives Gotham a more real feel with the idea that the whole system is corrupted. I rewatched The Dark Knight yesterday and I can honestly say I prefer this new one better.

I can’t commit to liking the newest film better than the Dark Knight, need a bit more time and another viewing to decide, but I am leaning that way.

Heath’s Joker is still the GOAT, but from a film perspective, The Batman was such a fresh take that was extremely welcome, especially after Batfleck.

I loved The Batman and it's up there with Nolan's Trilogy. But I can't say this is better than The Dark Knight.

The pacing of the movie I felt just dragged on at times like the scene where Batman is trying to save the guy from losing his head being blown off by the Riddler.

Also the Bat car chase scene where it does some F & F Tokyo Drifting ish just had me shaking my head seeing that and laughing.

Another thing that kinda annoyed me with Pattison's Batman was his was face, skin tone, makeup, and hair style when being Bruce Wayne really at time reminded me of Brandon Lee's The Crow/ Eric Draven character.

Close-up-of-Robert-Pattinsons-Batman-with-eyeliner.jpeg

Brandon-Lee-as-Eric-Draven-in-The-Crow-1994.jpg

Pretty damn close...

Last edited:
Movie was good. It was a solid take on batmans early years. Solid 6.5/8.

I think it struck a good balance and established a bit of a backstory without spending too much time delving into it. I think that’s the hard thing about these first films. So much to establish and still tell a compelling story. I’m interested in how the second movie would look with a little bit more freedom to just move the story forward.

Maybe a bit too long, but I get it.

I think it was too early for that reveal at the end. We’ll see, though.

Crazy to think

It’s technically a hopeful ending but he didn’t really stop the Riddler’s plan and I thought Eddie broke down too easily at the end, after all the things be masterminded for 2.45 hours. All it really took was Battinson to say he’s wrong about being remembered?

That’s because the Riddler was autistic which makes total sense as a character. I love that they went that direction.

Because for most - it’s the best known Batman film ever made; regardless of the arc. TDK/The Batman has some similarities: the timeline, dark, and tone.

Basically comparing this to it, says a lot
of how great the movie really is.

People going to compare it to their favorite. For me the Trilogy is GOAT status for me. That feeling of watching it was almost the same for The Batman.

I’ll have to give it another watch.

Only thing that bothered me is how everything is black…..from the clothes to the scenery and it rained the entire time. Lol

The part at the end where they are riding their motorcycles was filmed where I went to College - in the pan you could about see the campus. And, yes, it’s usually grey and raining. No CGI required!

The sound design deserves an academy award.

The batmobile sounded vicious and I loved the weight/creak you could hear whenever batman was walking around.

I’m just back from seeing it first thing this morning and I still feel weird - I wonder if it had a noise like in (Nolan’s!) Dunkirk to keep you on edge.

Loved it though - I don’t think it’s because it’s the new thing but it’s definitely top 2 - and right now I’ve got it at the top. I loved the detective parts, the tech was cool but grounded and the fact that he was flawed both physically and emotionally makes a lot of sense. The scene in the hospital was touching and made a lot of sense.

It didn’t drag at all - I didn’t look at the time once.

Saw it for the second time yesterday .

Coming from a person that has TDK as their favorite comic film of all time , IMO this film will probably have better replay value over time .

As I’ve looked retrospectively looked at TDK , and Nolan’s trilogy in general the past few years even prior to seeing this film ,what bugged me is that Batman was almost always outshined by villains in that trilogy . My rewatches of TDK usually boil down to the Heath scenes pretty much .

This movie had Batman at the forefront and very much establishes that Bruce is the mask , and Batman is the real person . I have very few nitpicks with this film (most of them being related to stuff I thought Snyder nailed , such as the bat suit and fighting choreography) but everything else is excellent in The Batman .

I think it's better to stop comparing to The Dark Knight.

Maybe compare it to Joker.

This film is such a departure from Nolan's style.
You think it’s a departure ?

The hyper realism , the fighting style , the grounded elements , starting out with the monsters and escalating … it’s almost like Matt Reeves is coming at Nolan’s baby with this trilogy.

You think it’s a departure ?

The hyper realism , the fighting style , the grounded elements , starting out with the monsters and escalating … it’s almost like Matt Reeves is coming at Nolan’s baby with this trilogy.
More so in the directing and writing style. The scenes edited faster, many set locations, the dialogue is snark, much like Skyfall with both an incredible well acted villan.

I'm interested in watching 1989's Batman again and comparing. The Gothams and Wayne Manor seem similar to The Batman. That one was always my favorite and still might be for what it brought to the table at the time. Doesn't come up enough

Last edited:
More so in the directing and writing style. The scenes edited faster, many set locations, the dialogue is snark, much like Skyfall with both an incredible well acted villan.

I'm interested in watching 1989's Batman again and comparing. The Gothams and Wayne Manor seem similar to The Batman. That one was always my favorite and still might be for what it brought to the table at the time. Doesn't come up enough

Batman 1989 4K is out and is on sale for $23 on amazon. The 4 disc set: Batman 1989, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and Batman & Robin is $60.

Fantastic film! Strong performance from everyone involved, especially on the technical side as it has already been mentioned. Cast and crew did their thing during the pandemic is much, much appreciated! I loved the look and sound of the film. I did start feeling the 3 hour length, but that's probably because I needed to use the restroom in the last 30-40mins lol.

Something that I noticed is that this is the first time in awhile where Batman actually helped the general public. There's a poignant moment near the end where you can see this and that was cool to see.

Except for those poor Gotham citizens who died while Batman was chasing Penguin in the Batmobile and that gas truck blew up.

Why do some of you compare The Batman to The Dark Knight? Why not to compare it to the previous reboot of the franchise, Batman Begins?

I kinda find it hard to take the possible consensus best movie from a previous trilogy and compare it a new reboot, especially when they were at different points of batman's arc.

If that’s the case then this ****s all over Batman Begins. Batman Begins was still good though.

I thought people didn't like bale batman's fighting style. Or maybe they just thought his first fight with bane looked funny.

I thought people didn't like bale batman's fighting style. Or maybe they just thought his first fight with bane looked funny.

I didn’t - the parts with the League of Shadows were good but the fighting style wasn’t good overall IMO. I don’t think the martial arts expertise was apparent and it wasn’t vicious.

I always compared it to the alley fight scene in Watchmen - that was always how I imagine Batman to fight.

This one was good - and so was Batfleck when he fought the guys in the warehouse. That was a little more silly but still cool. This one seemed realistic - a guy with great skills and armor, a point to prove, nothing to lose, and just a ton of aggression.

Back
Top Bottom