DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - The Penguin out 9/19 then every Sunday on MAX

Batman is the real boss of JL
Batman pays for everything anyway
Did Bats pay for the hall of justice and the satellite space station?

I dunno, nobody knows Batman is super rich. They assume he has money but you gotta put a name to your checks and Batman don't got a SSN to get taxed :lol:

I always figured that stuff was gov. sponsored or a group effort between rich *** Bruce and Ollie and a bunch of gold Diana got.

its not about superman being perfect, its about a main character in the story having an arc

how has superman's worldview changed over the course of the movie?

if he's not a hero at the beginning of the movie, how did the events of this movie bring him closer to being a hero?

how, after 2 movies do we still not know his motivations?

how is killing him rather than actually addressing his character considered good writing? 

how is blowing people up rather than actually addressing his relationship with the human race considered good writing?

you have a character who's only personality trait is "he's trying to figure things out", who never figures anything out, and dies so wont be figuring things out for a while. how is this character development? 

I'm pretty sure when he comes back from the dead, suddenly everything will be clear to him. so basically more lazy writing. 

its mind boggling to me that people are actually defending the handling of this character, i didn't think it was possible for standards to be this low 

I thought the decision to "kill" him was dumb for a bunch of reasons. On a national stage, he protected the world from Zod and already showed Earth he was willing to sacrifice himself. I don't see how doing the same thing now would have a greater impact on people.

On a more basic level, it was too early in his story for it to happen. It's only the 2nd film. We know JL is coming. We know he's not gonna stay dead. His death had no emotional impact on me. Comparing it to TDKR - it was the end of the trilogy and Batman wanted to sacrifice himself for his cause - his death was very plausible.

With that said - I'm fine with his character struggling to figure out exactly how he should be handling his power at this point. The different view points are scattered throughout this movie and it's clearly not an easy decision. It's the first time he's dealing with the media scrutiny that he specifically avoided for the first part of his life. Should he exist? Who should he be saving? Should he be killing? He technically had the power to stop the Senate explosion from happening - is he responsible for those deaths too?

Even if the conversation didn't actually happen, the fact that he was willing to go in front of the people and address his "crimes" face to face says a lot about the character. Batman has never done that - 20 years in and he's still a legend (and a criminal) in tbe eyes of law enforcement.

It makes sense that the conversations would happen when the Justice League is actually formed and they start working directly with the government.

Beat Avengers WW opening with 424 million! 4th biggest WW opening ever!

View media item 1968346
avengers didn't come out in china till a month after the US release 

I wonder why marvel staggers their releases. I'm all for opening on all major markets at the same time. Not for money but just cuz I don't want the world to get cw before 'merica

It also increases the chance of fans in different countries getting spoiled. That ain't fair :/

Last edited:
Batman is the real boss of JL
Batman pays for everything anyway
Did Bats pay for the hall of justice and the satellite space station?

I dunno, nobody knows Batman is super rich. They assume he has money but you gotta put a name to your checks and Batman don't got a SSN to get taxed :lol:

I always figured that stuff was gov. sponsored or a group effort between rich *** Bruce and Ollie and a bunch of gold Diana got.

Typically, yes he did pay for both of those things. Green Arrow's also funded the JLA on multiple occassions as well. I believe that the animated Crisis on Two Earths even has Superman asking Bruce how much all of it cost. And every now and again you'll have the government funding the team, but they tend to avoid this because it leaves them open to owing the government.

I like the movie. 2 and a half hours long, I had my expectations at a medium. There some things I loved about the movie and there some other things I didn't like. Overall not that bad. I seen worse.

Never mind, it's more so a case of "You Called it"
laugh.gif
I do have a feeling that this might be one of those cases that the critics hate but general audience likes, low RT rating but good CinemaScore, which I do think does help with the emotional aspect of seeing Batman and Superman together on screen.

And why do we rate films out of 8 lol?
That's just the way it is

Things will never be the same

Thank rck for the /8 rating system though
kobe-youre-welcome.gif

its not about superman being perfect, its about a main character in the story having an arc

if he's not a hero at the beginning of the movie, how did the events of this movie bring him closer to being a hero?

how is killing him rather than actually addressing his character considered good writing? 

how is blowing people up rather than actually addressing his relationship with the human race considered good writing?

you have a character who's only personality trait is "he's trying to figure things out", who never figures anything out, and dies so wont be figuring things out for a while. how is this character development? 

I'm pretty sure when he comes back from the dead, suddenly everything will be clear to him. so basically more lazy writing. 

its mind boggling to me that people are actually defending the handling of this character, i didn't think it was possible for standards to be this low 

Superman is a ******** character in the comics too though.

I thought the decision to "kill" him was dumb for a bunch of reasons. On a national stage, he protected the world from Zod and already showed Earth he was willing to sacrifice himself. I don't see how doing the same thing now would have a greater impact on people.

On a more basic level, it was too early in his story for it to happen. It's only the 2nd film. We know JL is coming. We know he's not gonna stay dead. His death had no emotional impact on me. Comparing it to TDKR - it was the end of the trilogy and Batman wanted to sacrifice himself for his cause - his death was very plausible.

With that said - I'm fine with his character struggling to figure out exactly how he should be handling his power at this point. The different view points are scattered throughout this movie and it's clearly not an easy decision. It's the first time he's dealing with the media scrutiny that he specifically avoided for the first part of his life. Should he exist? Who should he be saving? Should he be killing? He technically had the power to stop the Senate explosion from happening - is he responsible for those deaths too?

Even if the conversation didn't actually happen, the fact that he was willing to go in front of the people and address his "crimes" face to face says a lot about the character. Batman has never done that - 20 years in and he's still a legend (and a criminal) in tbe eyes of law enforcement.

It makes sense that the conversations would happen when the Justice League is actually formed and they start working directly with the government.
struggling is fine, its a core part of his origin story. the problem is none of the struggles are addressed. all these questions are great questions, the movie does not do anything to even attempt to move towards an answer. it doesnt even end the story suggesting that he is moving in the right direction for find these answers, he's dead. 

the most credit you can give in this movie is superman showing up to court which doesnt amount to anything, that's literally a participation medal 
laugh.gif

these are all great themes and thought provoking issues. the problem of this movie is it only presents them in the background while never addressing them ever. the filmmakers figured rather than having to write an interesting story it's much easier to throw CGI and dumb action in our faces in an attempt to distract us. it's flat out insulting and inexcusable for a movie that takes itself this seriously. 

Superman is a ******** character in the comics too though.
he is a clearly defined character in the comics.

you may not like him but you know who he is, what he stands for, how he would react to situations

you dont know any of that here, because they dont make any effort to define his character. 

There's an open dialog in the movie about Superman's decisions and heroics. Clark has a conversation with Lois where she talks about the cost of being a hero and the perception of him after thanking him for rescuing her. I thought the movie showed Supes struggle with heroism and perception fine.

The courtroom was just a set-up by Lex to make Supes look bad. He knew Supes would show up because he wants to be fair and do things humanities way even though he is much more powerful than them. Lex took advantage of that and Lex Luthor has been setting up Supes to look bad for decades. Lex can't control the world if Superman can walk (or fly haha) freely.

Superman on screen to me just looked like someone who wanted to help people in need. He flew to Africa. He flew to Mexico to save that little girl in the burning building. He flew to Russia to stop that rocket from crashing and blowing up. Throughout the movie the discussion comes up that sometimes people perceive things wrongly and Superman is starting to be OK with that as long as he can help people.

When he gives his life to stop Doomsday, that continues with the theme of Superman throughout the film where he just wants to do the right thing and protect humanity. Even at a cost to him, whether it's wrongly perceived bad publicity or his life.

There's an open dialog in the movie about Superman's decisions and heroics. Clark has a conversation with Lois where she talks about the cost of being a hero and the perception of him after thanking him for rescuing her. I thought the movie showed Supes struggle with heroism and perception fine.

The courtroom was just a set-up by Lex to make Supes look bad. He knew Supes would show up because he wants to be fair and do things humanities way even though he is much more powerful than them. Lex took advantage of that and Lex Luthor has been setting up Supes to look bad for decades. Lex can't control the world if Superman can walk (or fly haha) freely.

Superman on screen to me just looked like someone who wanted to help people in need. He flew to Africa. He flew to Mexico to save that little girl in the burning building. He flew to Russia to stop that rocket from crashing and blowing up. Throughout the movie the discussion comes up that sometimes people perceive things wrongly and Superman is starting to be OK with that as long as he can help people.

When he gives his life to stop Doomsday, that continues with the theme of Superman throughout the film where he just wants to do the right thing and protect humanity. Even at a cost to him, whether it's wrongly perceived bad publicity or his life.

Repped.

thanks for the well thought out answer. 

Again, he talks about things with lois but where's the development and progression of his world view/character?

the world already unfairly blamed him for a bunch of things, from a screen writing perspective blowing the court room up did nothing to change the public opinion of superman. it was just more of the "was he involved?" news clips that dont advance the story. It was simply just a lazy way to get out of having to actually address the issues surrounding superman. 

the clips of superman doing good in the world helped but also emphasise how poor the pacing was, they had to resort to a 30 second montage to show superman being a hero rather than through his actions over the course of the movie. 

Because no gives a **** about Superman.
these simpleton answers 
roll.gif
Go outside interact with real human beings. You might meet a girl and get some *****.

You have to want more out of life than arguing about sports and super hero movies on a sneaker messageboard
you got nothing so you attack me 
roll.gif

more simpleton responses 
roll.gif

nothing sadder than a kid who seems to feel some way but doesnt have the ability to articulate his thoughts 
mean.gif

Back
Top Bottom