December Wrestling Thread | Rest In Peace Brodie Lee | Happy New Year | JOTM Bruce Mitchell

No chance in hell man.

Maybe they would still be in business though?

No supreme peak and therefore Russo/Ed Ferrara never go over there and poison the company thus never TANKING.

I think they would have..I think they'd have had a better chance at survival and wouldn't have imploded..I think if the product was consistent then AOL/Time Warner would've been more inclinded to keep the program, and if not then they would've had multiple companies wanting to buy it from them..Without the NWO, and the egos of the top guys (minus Sting and Flair) wouldn't have been able to destroy the company..

I think they would have..I think they'd have had a better chance at survival and wouldn't have imploded..I think if the product was consistent then AOL/Time Warner would've been more inclinded to keep the program, and if not then they would've had multiple companies wanting to buy it from them..Without the NWO, and the egos of the top guys (minus Sting and Flair) wouldn't have been able to destroy the company..
Case,

You seriously think WCW would have gotten AS big as they did (equal or greater peak) WITHOUT The NWO?

I loved WCW to death but the NWO was the hottest angle in that era.

What else could you have seen that could have possibly created a level like that?

WWFHAT9419.jpeg

No chance in hell man.

Maybe they would still be in business though?

No supreme peak and therefore Russo/Ed Ferrara never go over there and poison the company thus never TANKING.
Interesting takes. I never thought of the fact that it could have just kept going. Maybe like a TNA/Impact promotion that just keeps sludging along. I mean Ted Turner always wanted wrestling on his networks. As long as they were still active and not in self implode mode I’m sure they would have kept them on the air for no other reason than that Tes wanted his wrasslin’
DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican Even with the same roster and all that talent Minus NWO you don’t think it would have gotten that big?

DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican Even with the same roster and all that talent Minus NWO you don’t think it would have gotten that big?

No.

No chance in hell man.

I don't see why I should think they would be able to do anything to get to that level if it weren't for the NWO.

Nah man. I'm realistic. The NWO was lightning in a bottle

Last edited:
Case,

You seriously think WCW would have gotten AS big as they did (equal or greater peak) WITHOUT The NWO?

I loved WCW to death but the NWO was the hottest angle in that era.

What else could you have seen that could have possibly created a level like that?

I do think WCW could've gotten that big..Wrestling is cyclical and there's no reason to think that WCW couldn't have, at some point, become equally as popular as WWE..I'm not saying they could've been drawing 8's and 9's on the ratings scale..I do think if they had kept going there was no reason to believe they wouldn't have taken over Vince in the ratings and ppv buys..Imagine if they had survived and started an online Network..Having all that history to stream very well could've been what made them the #1 promotion in the world..

But we'll never know..I often wonder what would've happened if Paul E could have found a new network to put ECW on..I think he could've slowly toned down the violence and still keep his audience..I feel like they could've made it too..I don't know if they could've ever competed with Vince, but they could be what AEW is today..

Canadian Destroyer Canadian Destroyer
@ITO
degenerate423 degenerate423
Case Case
Peep Game Peep Game
danger style danger style
King of Trash Style King of Trash Style
JCMojica24 JCMojica24

WCW Monday NITRO #22

Great Crowd

Singles Match
Hulk Hogan (w/Debra McMichael, Linda Bollea, Miss Elizabeth & Woman) vs. Ric Flair (w/Jimmy Hart)
Funny that Mongo had to watch his wife with Hogan and pretend he didn’t know who she was. ( #BookLikeVince ). This was one of the more Hogan-friendly crowds we have seen so far, they were in LOVE with him. This was a good match, I was highly Pro-Wrestling entertained. Hogan was actually selling the leg for most of the match, good to see. WHenever he Hulks up, it just takes me out of the match. But overall this was a good contest, nice heel finish. (Yea that stuff matters modern fans).

Tag Team Match
The Road Warriors (Road Warrior Animal & Road Warrior Hawk) vs. The Faces Of Fear (Meng & The Barbarian)
Singles Match

Good matchup here. I think this is the first time we have seen The Faces of Fear as a tag team and I have always felt they were some killers that could have been featured more during this time. Of course Hawk had to do his Piledriver No-Sell at some point. The commentating team did a great job of telling the story of Animal’s back and The FOF went to work. Solid match. My only issue is Hawk wasn’t the legal man but he somehow was allowed to score the pinfall.

Dungeon of Doom vs. Arn/Pillman Segment:
Pillman, Pillman, Pillman. After he took his whooping, did anybody notice how he made a POINT to turn his back to the camera to show the damage done to his back by Sullivan? The little things matter and go a long way. Got damn this was some great character work by Pillman. This whole storyline has been good from the jump. AA needs to keep Pillman in check but at the end of the day, Pillman is still a HOrseman and Horsemen protect Horsemen. Great segment.

Sister Sherri vs. Madusa
Whole lot of “Backleg Roundkicks” here. Sherri was wild for wrestling in STOCKINGS and attempting to climb the top rope, I definitely was expecting her to slip. Medusa was banging Sherri’s head on the mat like a wild woman. She LOOKED like she was out to be honest. Good selling but all of these headshots are tough to watch.

WCW World Heavyweight Title Match
Randy Savage (w/Debra McMichael, Linda Bollea, Miss Elizabeth & Woman) (c) vs. The Giant

I was surprised that the ref called the match off, even though it WAS the right thing to do. If Savage started the match using the belt on The Big Giant, he needs to be disqualified. Flair as the hype man telling The Giant to chokeslam Savage was funny too. Flair was showing some legendary work throughout this entire segment.

Good Nitro, one of the better shows we have seen so far. I was entertained the entire time.

Imagine if they had survived and started an online Network..Having all that history to stream very well could've been what made them the #1 promotion in the world..

Just to touch on this since we already disagree on the other parts.

Nobody cares about Network History. The WWE Network is showing that today. People aren't buying the Network for the Vintage COntent, they are buying it for the PPVS. NXT doesn't even move the needle. That would have been a super niche audience, much like it is now.

So it would be hard to see that as something that would have pushed them into the #1 slot.

Just to touch on this since we already disagree on the other parts.

Nobody cares about Network History. The WWE Network is showing that today. People aren't buying the Network for the Vintage COntent, they are buying it for the PPVS. NXT doesn't even move the needle. That would have been a super niche audience, much like it is now.

So it would be hard to see that as something that would have pushed them into the #1 slot.

So lets say all things are equal and both WWE and WCW were still going head to head when WWE dropped the Network..WCW does the same thing..But since WWE wouldn't have bought WCW and WCW would have all of there catalog, plus Crocket stuff, and NWA stuff, plus whatever promotions they bought up (possibly ECW's catalog or some of the regional stuff Vince has) you saying you don't think WCW's Network would've had a chance to be more popular?..

So lets say all things are equal and both WWE and WCW were still going head to head when WWE dropped the Network..WCW does the same thing..But since WWE wouldn't have bought WCW and WCW would have all of there catalog, plus Crocket stuff, and NWA stuff, plus whatever promotions they bought up (possibly ECW's catalog or some of the regional stuff Vince has) you saying you don't think WCW's Network would've had a chance to be more popular?..

That is a helluva list of conditions 😂

That is a helluva list of conditions 😂

No it's not..WWE, NJPW, and several other promotions have an onlince "network"..So there's no reason to think WCW wouldn't have had one too..And Vince wouldn't have had all those properties since WCW would still be around..

So why wouldn't a promotion that's been in business just as long as WWE, with and equally appealing network, a tv deal, and big name stars not be able to compete or surpass Vince's company..

No it's not..WWE, NJPW, and several other promotions have an onlince "network"..So there's no reason to think WCW wouldn't have had one too..And Vince wouldn't have had all those properties since WCW would still be around..

So why wouldn't a promotion that's been in business just as long as WWE, with and equally appealing network, a tv deal, and big name stars not be able to compete or surpass Vince's company..

It is just hard for me to ever imagine WCW and WWF being equals.

Even when WCW won 83 weeks in a row, I still felt they were #2.

So that is why I just can't see them doing anything to be #1, ESPECIALLY without the NWO.

Nitro 1/29/96

Hogan vs Flair

Same Old ****. Not even gonna comment on this. But Hogan ‘s eye sell matches up with Mysterion’s.

Road Warriors vs Faces of Fear

Faces of fear was so dope. Their outfits were spot on.

This could have been a match that they built up to instead of it being the Road Warriors debut.

Peep the Charlie Callas sign in the audience

DoD segment

This is the better storyline going on. Arn was great on the mic and when he took his belt off I really thought we’re going to see a whipping or Pillman get kicked out.

Sullivan is past his prime and his lackies suck but it’s cool to see two heel factions feud.

Medusa vs Sherri

I didn’t know Sherri wrestler. First time I’ve seen her in the ring but she pulled out some moves and that counter from the top rope into a pin got her the W.

Medusa was ripped and looked good.

Are these the only two “Big Girls” in the division?

Savage vs the Giant

What a **** show. Terrible f’n chair shots. Had dudes lined up with their foreheads out to be lightly tapped by Hogan’s chair.

Flair wilding out at the end made up for it though. That was amazing. Not sure if it was planned or not but it had Mongo and Hernan laughing

DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican
danger style danger style
@ITO
Case Case
degenerate423 degenerate423
King of Trash Style King of Trash Style
JCMojica24 JCMojica24

Back
Top Bottom