DELETE: Because I'm white and we're not allowed to talk about our social problems we don't have any

oh, its ok for blacks to act ghetto? Because its "natural" huh?
indifferent.gif

So much ignorance
laugh.gif
This is what your 3rd or 4th thread involving race?

Originally Posted by Levar Burton

Last night my family gotten together at my Uncle's (we're all very close). My girlfriend came down from Boston and I introduced her to my cousin, she's from New York but grew up in Ohio (she's white).
My family isn't exactly pompous but we aren't too accepting either. My great grandfather was an immigrant that came to the states with only $20 dollars so his work ethic was instilled into our family.
We we're drinking and the younger of us 19-30 decided to play some music we're listening to Z100 and out of no where my cousin says "aight dats enuff of dat white boy $$$!" and turns on Power 105.1.

I would've been totally cool with that except the fact that she starts rapping like she grew up in the "ghetto" and endured the hardships that most rappers rap about. I mean FULL ON slang, diction, bouncing around with finger snapping and neck jerking. We let it go for about 20mins until she's all "aww hell naw" this and "whaaaaat" that. 

She has a black boyfriend he's also from New York they both lived in Shaker Heights, Ohio for a while maybe 5-6 years. I can understand him being a little rough around the edges so to speak, but the family I come from it would've been close to IMPOSSIBLE for her to even pick up any behavioral patterns found in urban areas.

We have other cousins who live in Ohio and Pennsylvania and they GREW UP in rough areas so them being white and maybe having an accent or inner city characteristics is accepting. But our cousin in question is like a borderline hybrid poser, she's comes from money all her friends are white and only connection she has to inner city life is her black boyfriend.

So finally 20 mins go past of her minstrel show before we pull the plug and say "when did you become so ghetto?". Everyone laughs and shes says "she's being herself", aunts and uncles jumped in and pointed out she didn't used to act like that. (we're from Clinton/Midtown area)

Finally another cousin says it's easier for her to be "CoCo" (Ice-T's wife) than it is to be "normal" and accept the fact she's white and plan. She breaks down in tears and we're all meeting for breakfast this morning to apologize for calling her "ghetto".

I just need a clear definition of acting "ghetto", I'm sure she was acting quintessential ghetto. But I think it bothered her that we pointed out it's easier to act ghetto than it is to be socially respected and taken seriously as an adult. She's 22 years old. 

I'm asking black people in particular, does it bother you when non-blacks act "ghetto"? Especially when you know they have no idea about the inner-city or even spent a great while there?

Quoted just in case you try to edit your OP.

Your probably the most ignorant poster I've seen post in awhile.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by sn00pee

oh, its ok for blacks to act ghetto? Because its "natural" huh?
indifferent.gif

In a sense yes, if you're from a certain area there's going to be some characteristics that you will posses. Behaviorism affects us all, positive or negative.  Anti-social behavior is NOT okay but if I meet someone from the inner-city, black, white, asian etc, I'd be more understanding of their demeanor than someone not from the inner-city acting in such a manner. 

- wow, there's so many problems with what you....

.....nvm.

....here, ill just answer your last question.

....does it bother me? no. not in the least. the way they 'act' has nothing to do with me, be it authentic or not. couldnt care less, however i do marvel over the amount of conviction they put into it.

- black people need to stop claiming ownership of 'acting ghetto' as if we own some sort of stock in it. and non-black need to stop trying to give that ownership to us.

My family isn't exactly pompous but we aren't too accepting either. My great grandfather was an immigrant that came to the states with only $20 dollars so his work ethic was instilled into our family.
All I needed to read. She thinks yall are lame...and was just trying to put some life in yall.

- black people need to stop claiming ownership of 'acting ghetto' as if we own some sort of stock in it. and non-black need to stop trying to give that ownership to us.
THIS 

I couldn't agree with this more, which is what we we're offended by. We we're more thinking about how this poor guy must feel being in a relationship with my cousin acting they way she does.
Which brings me to my next question, if you we're a black male and you we're bringing home a "white girl" to meet your family. Which one would you automatically ASSUME would "act ghetto"?
Or feel more "comfortable" being "ghetto" around your relatives.

1333489950_kate-middleton-lg.jpg
Coco+on+the+loose+tUJ4EKXqC_Ul.jpg

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

- black people need to stop claiming ownership of 'acting ghetto' as if we own some sort of stock in it and non-black people need to stop giving that ownership to us.

THIS 

I couldn't agree with this more, which is what we we're offended by. We we're more thinking about how this poor guy must feel being in a relationship with my cousin acting they way she does.
Which brings me to my next question, if you we're a black male and you we're bringing home a "white girl" to meet your family. Which one would you automatically ASSUME would "act ghetto"?

You're not helping your case...I don't think either one of them is "ghetto" and your cousin is what we call a fan of hip hop music and hip hop culture. Maybe her black boyfriend put her on and isn't ashamed. Let her cook man
sick.gif

But our cousin in question is like a borderline hybrid poser, she's comes from money all her friends are white and only connection she has to inner city life is her black boyfriend.
Winner!

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

Where they do that at?

Op, were you home-schooled?

Originally Posted by toast1985

How is he not trolling?

....real talk? you people need to learn the definition of a troll. throwing around the word troll anytime someone says something you dont like does more to show your ignorance.

....OP, could very well mean everything he said. i dont know OP, and his screenname doesnt look familiar to me as always making outlandish statements to rile people up. THAT would be a troll.

....people with the mindset of OP DO exist in this would, just because they arent afraid to express it or ask questions does NOT make them a troll.

...engage with these individuals. pick their brains. understand how they think. debate/educate these individuals and keep it civil, constantly trying to chop their head off just leads to the keeping quiet. understand, to know your enemy is very important.

THIS 

first lets drop the use of the term ghetto to describe an inner city culture.

secondly, assuming how someone should act based on looks just doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom