Delete

How Many Games Will The Lakers Win With Mike D'Antoni?

• 40-49...They're Going To Get Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-59...Good Enough For A Solid Seed, Not Too Shabby

• 60-65...Top Seed and Impressive Record, Thumbs Up

• 66-70...Scary Good, All Teams Are Now Officially Scared

• 71+...Might As Well Cancel The Playoffs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMARTEST thing ive read in this thread yet.
Phil has 10 championship rings. If that doesn't qualify him to gain control of the franchise, I don't know what will. This will come back to bite Buss for years to come

Michael Jordan has 6 championship rings. If that doesn't qualify him to gain control of the franchise, I don't know what will.

:tongue: On the court skills/coaching does NOT directly translate into being qualified for personnel moves, especially when you have a guy in Mitch who has proven he knows how to get the job done consistently. And you want Phil "No GM experience" Jackson to come in and replace his Mitch Kupchak? Just no. :smh:

Too many articles to read today man:

Lakers resist Phil Jackson's power grab

Between the hours of Mike Brown's firing and a meeting on Saturday morning with history's most accomplished coach, Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak privately told people there was one candidate: Phil Jackson.

Jackson wanted to humiliate Lakers vice president Jim Buss far more than he wanted to coach the team. He wanted significant allowances on travel, coaching duties and an ability to veto player personnel moves that didn't fit his vision. With an unprecedented 11 coaching championships, Jackson had every right to make unprecedented demands. He doesn't have the right to be surprised when the Lakers rejected them and hired a pliable, cheaper coach in Mike D'Antoni.

"Phil wanted Jim Buss to walk away with his tail between his legs," one source with knowledge of the discussions told Yahoo! Sports. "He thought he had time to still negotiate with them, and see how much they would give him."

Now, the Lakers are going out of their way to spare Jackson the embarrassment of his overreaching, but this is pointless spin. They're working with him to sell the public that he hadn't asked for too much, that somehow the franchise chose D'Antoni over Jackson on sheer merit. It's noble, but laughable. Jackson heard those chants in Staples Center and never believed the Lakers had the guts to call his bluff before circling back to him on Monday.

If Jackson was ever to return to coaching to chase a championship in a preferred locale, this job offered him the opportunity. His instincts were wrong on how to play these negotiations and it blew up on him. The Lakers could live with making Jackson the highest-paid coach in the NBA again, but Jackson had to come back in full, and the Lakers were wise to have those uncertainties.

Jackson listened to Kobe Bryant gush and gush about him on Friday night, and believed the strongest voice in the locker room would accept only his return the bench. It was a mistake. Bryant preferred Jackson, but he has a history with D'Antoni back to his childhood growing up in Italy and across several years of USA Basketball. Bryant and D'Antoni have a relationship, a trust, and that's somewhere to start once they're thrust together.

Once Jackson couldn't come to terms on Saturday, Bryant had prepared himself for the fact that D'Antoni would ultimately become the coach. For the Lakers' good, D'Antoni needs to have used his three-plus seasons in New York to have grown as a coach, as a leader, or this will go terribly for him in Los Angeles.

When everything had become too hard with the New York Knicks, D'Antoni walked into the office one morning and surrendered. Carmelo Anthony had stopped listening to him, stopped running his plays, and ownership never supported the coach. When Anthony grumbled to Bryant about D'Antoni's defensive acumen on a trip to Los Angeles before the coach's resignation in New York, one witness says Bryant shot back to Anthony – only half-kidding – that, seriously, when the hell have you ever played defense?

D'Antoni has been run out of two jobs and should be past the obsession he had over needing to win with his system, his way. These won't be the seven-seconds-or-less Lakers. They'll play plenty of pick-and-roll, but the biggest issue for D'Antoni's defense has never been where it was ranked in the league, but how the Suns players – including Steve Nash – never believed they were prepared for the big possessions, the big moments, in series with San Antonio. There was a discipline missing, a mindset, an understanding, in those moments of truths.

D'Antoni is notoriously sensitive to criticism, but he needs to be honest with himself to get the most out of these Lakers now, out of himself here. They never spent practice time on defense, because D'Antoni's offensive system was his genius, what got him into the NBA, got him millions and his personal mandate was forever validating it. Now, he's older. These are the Lakers and D'Antoni has to understand: This isn't about his vision, but winning.

Within the organization, Kupchak and the coaching staff understood this: Dwight Howard can make D'Antoni a far, far better defensive coach. For now, the staff believes Howard is still a shell of himself, that mobility in his back still isn't close to returning for another month, maybe two.

Stan Van Gundy has already reached out to D'Antoni, and encouraged him to keep assistant coach Steve Clifford on his staff. Clifford had a strong history of working with Stan in Orlando and Jeff Van Gundy in Houston and had gone to the Lakers to join Mike Brown's staff. As much as anyone, he understands how to incorporate an individual's flaws into the greatness of Howard's ability to dominate on the defensive end.

Over the summer, Jackson continued to tell people he was retired as a coach. He didn't want the job anymore. Once Los Angeles made the deal for Howard, his prism on returning to the Lakers changed again. Along with Bryant, Howard was the reason that a 12th title was possible for Jackson. Howard was the investment that made it easier for the Busses to buy out Brown's contract and make Jackson the highest-paid coach in the NBA again.

Jackson had his chance, and the strangest thing happened: The greatest coach in history overreached, misread the circumstances and had someone tell him "No" on Sunday night. The Lakers never picked Mike D'Antoni over Jackson. They picked him over desperation for Jackson. Maybe the Busses will regret the choice, but if Jackson truly wanted to coach again, no one will ever regret this more than him. These are still the Lakers, and nowhere else in basketball does this opportunity at this moment in time come along – even for Phil Jackson.
Link

Last edited:
SMARTEST thing ive read in this thread yet.
Phil has 10 championship rings. If that doesn't qualify him to gain control of the franchise, I don't know what will. This will come back to bite Buss for years to come

Michael Jordan has 6 championship rings. If that doesn't qualify him to gain control of the franchise, I don't know what will.

:tongue: On the court skills/coaching does NOT directly translate into being qualified for personnel moves, especially when you have a guy in Mitch who has proven he knows how to get the job done consistently. And you want Phil "No GM experience" Jackson to come in and replace his Mitch Kupchak? Just no. :smh:

mj-laughing.gif

I trust Adrian Wojnarowski. If he says Phil was demanding all of this, then I believe it to be true.

And it puts me at peace with the hire.

I'm not too disappointed. Lakers will be exciting to watch under D'Antoni.
Though Phil was the number one choice. :frown:

I'm not too disappointed. Lakers will be exciting to watch under D'Antoni.
Though Phil was the number one choice. :frown:

He was.. According to reports, Phil was asking for too much.. Pissed of Jerry, and Jerry dropped the hammer for D'Antoni

there's a difference between Mike as a player and Phil as a coach. Phil has already proved that he can succeed as a coach and D'Antoni's track record is already spotty as best. The Lakers as a organization have to admit at some point that they dropped the ball by hiring Mike Brown in the first place.

Let's just hope this doesn't all blow up in Buss' face.

there's a difference between Mike as a player and Phil as a coach. Phil has already proved that he can succeed as a coach and D'Antoni's track record is already spotty as best. The Lakers as a organization have to admit at some point that they dropped the ball by hiring Mike Brown in the first place.
Let's just hope this doesn't all blow up in Buss' face.
Phil has coached nothing but the best while D'Antoni has not up until this point. Let's just take the wait and see approach.

I'll preface the following by saying Pau may be my favorite Laker ever, but just throwing this out there if the Lakers decide move him:

Lakers get: Danillo Gallinari, Corey Brewer and filler
Nuggets get: Pau Gasol
Cavaliers get: Timofey Mozgov

Gallo has a connection with D'Antoni as he was drafted in New York when D'Antoni was just starting. He could start at power forward as a stretch four, much like Rashard Lewis did in Orlando next to Dwight Howard. Howard could cover up the mistakes of Gallo at power forward. The issue is Gallo's seemingly lost his ability to shoot the three (sitting at 20% right now). Counting this year, he has four years-$42 million left on his contract. That's about the going rate for a young, productive forward. The Lakers saw Brewer wreak havoc defensively the past two years in the playoffs. Brewer is athletic and would fill the Shawn Marion role in D'Antoni's system backing up Metta World Peace. He's in the last year of his contract. Fillers could include one or two of Denver's young players (Quincy Miller was rumored to be on the radar of the Lakers during the draft) and/or a first round draft pick from the Knicks.

The Nuggets are going to have to package some of their players and assets eventually, so why not with this trade? Pau is still a top twenty player in the league that could fit with the Nuggets for a playoff run. Pau is a center at this point in his career masquerading as a power forward. Pairing him with athletes like Kenneth Faried and Javale McGee up front could cover his shortcomings. He's paid a lot, but he only has two years left on his contract counting this year. So the Nuggets would still be retaining a lot of flexibility with this trade.

Cavaliers get a center to backup Anderson Varejao. Nuggets trade away Mozgov to clear a roster spot as he wouldn't be needed with Pau, McGee and Kosta Kuofos on the roster.

Last edited:
Lakers Nation saying that the Lakeshow are trying to grab Nate McMillan as a defensive coach? He any good?
He's alright. McMillan and D'Antoni both coached Kobe and Dwight in the Olympics years back. So at least it's someone our guys will listen too. I hope

Pau may be your favorite Laker ever? How is that?
I loved Pau as well.
The triangle was terrific for Pau up until the 2011 playoffs wen he fell off.
Which I believe was because Phil was incorporating Drew more too be the center and took Pau away from the post where Pau was a GENIUS in.

I have to say, I'm glad the thread has taken a much more positive path the last few pages.
Very happy and thankful to see some NT'ers chime in with good, constructive posts.
Whether you like D'Antoni or not (which most of us don't), its nice to see constructive criticism and outlooks compared to nothing but complaints.

There is a lot of good things that can happen with D'antoni, and there are a lot of bad as well.
But we gotta hope for the best.

We'll see what happens, this could be a very good move at the end of the day.

P.S. lol @ saying because the man has 11 rings he deserves to own the organization. Just because hes been an amazing coach that means you, as a franchise owner, should just hand the man your whole entire business? Really?
The most profitable franchise in the league...a billion dollar business...a money making machine...just let him run it like Pat Riley because he has been a legendary coach? ...you think he should run the whole show because he asked for it?

AG 47 made a great point... if rings give you front office credentials then that would mean MJ is an amazing general manager. MJ has been one of the worst front office managers in the history of the league...and thats being nice :x :lol: So obviously managerial duties aren't meant for everyone.

Last edited:
Pau may be your favorite Laker ever? How is that?
I loved Pau as well.
The triangle was terrific for Pau up until the 2011 playoffs wen he fell off.
Which I believe was because Phil was incorporating Drew more too be the center and took Pau away from the post where Pau was a GENIUS in.
He just knows how to play, I can't explain it. :lol: It's just been a joy to watch him.

I think a lot of Pau's decline is just due to age and Lamar Odom's departure (leading to Andrew Bynum taking away his touches in the post).

I'll preface the following by saying Pau may be my favorite Laker ever, but just throwing this out there if the Lakers decide move him:

Lakers get: Danillo Gallinari, Corey Brewer and filler
Nuggets get: Pau Gasol
Cavaliers get: Timofey Mozgov

Gallo has a connection with D'Antoni as he was drafted in New York when D'Antoni was just starting. He could start at power forward as a stretch four, much like Rashard Lewis did in Orlando next to Dwight Howard. Howard could cover up the mistakes of Gallo at power forward. The issue is Gallo's seemingly lost his ability to shoot the three (sitting at 20% right now). Counting this year, he has four years-$42 million left on his contract. That's about the going rate for a young, productive forward. The Lakers saw Brewer wreak havoc defensively the past two years in the playoffs. Brewer is athletic and would fill the Shawn Marion role in D'Antoni's system backing up Metta World Peace. He's in the last year of his contract. Fillers could include one or two of Denver's young players (Quincy Miller was rumored to be on the radar of the Lakers during the draft) and/or a first round draft pick from the Knicks.

The Nuggets are going to have to package some of their players and assets eventually, so why not with this trade? Pau is still a top twenty player in the league that could fit with the Nuggets for a playoff run. Pau is a center at this point in his career masquerading as a power forward. Pairing him with athletes like Kenneth Faried and Javale McGee up front could cover his shortcomings. He's paid a lot, but he only has two years left on his contract counting this year. So the Nuggets would still be retaining a lot of flexibility with this trade.

Cavaliers get a center to backup Anderson Varejao. Nuggets trade away Mozgov to clear a roster spot as he wouldn't be needed with Pau, McGee and Kosta Kuofos on the roster.

The reason why I hate it as I said on Twitter.... Makes trying to beat the Nuggets that much harder... So I hate the trade

Back
Top Bottom