*| | Denim _ School | |*

Currently soaking my Gap Japanese denim after about 8/9 months of continuous wear. There wasnt much contrast before soaking though but i just wanted to shrink the waist a bit. ill post pics after they dry up

Currently soaking my Gap Japanese denim after about 8/9 months of continuous wear. There wasnt much contrast before soaking though but i just wanted to shrink the waist a bit. ill post pics after they dry up

From what people say (or at least on the old ones) is that Gap denim hardly fade at all. I saw these online and it shows how it's not as prevalent as other brands.

GAP3.jpg
GAP10.jpg

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2010/05/02/wearing-tearing/

Also saw this:

https://dreamsofperfection.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/gap-selvage-update-one-year-later/

Gap outlet near me had those selvedge jeans for $28.

How do they fit compared to your other denim? I usually wear a 34 inch waist but for slimmer fits I need to size up to get my thighs in.

I've lost a significant amount of waist since I bought them.

I believe they run a bit big. I'm a 33-34 waist; these are 34s are fit like 36s.

Ya if I get them I'll probably go with a 34 so they aren't too tight especially at 21oz. Did you feel like the tapered fit was more on the skinny side or the straight fit side?

Last edited:
^My 221s I posted a few pages back def fit more slim straight to me. Also they were pretty true to size as welll. Ymmv.

Last edited:
To be honest thats not that bad considering the price point 

Still, for the price, you can get Uniqlo's which are no only cheaper but will guarantee to fade. The only issue from what I heard is one season had them where they did fade and then another season, they used cheaper materials which didn't. I think the ones out now do fade even though they seem super cheap feeling,

Some examples. This has to be an NTer but this was posted on Hypebeast forums. It says one soak and one wash. Way better looking imo.

350x700px-LL-c535ad17_k0UwAyt.jpeg

From what people say (or at least on the old ones) is that Gap denim hardly fade at all. I saw these online and it shows how it's not as prevalent as other brands.

GAP3.jpg
GAP10.jpg

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2010/05/02/wearing-tearing/

Also saw this:

https://dreamsofperfection.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/gap-selvage-update-one-year-later/

To be honest thats not that bad considering the price point 

Yeah, personally I have own 3 pairs of "raw" denim by gap and all 3 hardly fade. I only got them because of the price, quality, and look when they're on. My 2 pairs of Morrisons were only 15 bucks a pop so why not..they wete nice and sturdy, contrast was not bad but i gave up since i gained weight and theyre just collecting dust. My current pair was only $20...and i couldn't pass it up. Contrast is very slow but not noticeable unless in direct sunlight haha i prefer UB's anyhow.

Before cold soak:

I'll get pics in better lighting after I'm out of class tmrw

Ive always wondered how those fit. I own a pair of Barracudas and Fury (my favorite so far). How do they compare if you have any experience with either?

No experience with fury. Skinnier down the legs than barracudas which makes them stack nicely

Yeah, personally I have own 3 pairs of "raw" denim by gap and all 3 hardly fade. I only got them because of the price, quality, and look when they're on. My 2 pairs of Morrisons were only 15 bucks a pop so why not..they wete nice and sturdy, contrast was not bad but i gave up since i gained weight and theyre just collecting dust. My current pair was only $20...and i couldn't pass it up. Contrast is very slow but not noticeable unless in direct sunlight haha i prefer UB's anyhow.

Before cold soak:

I've had two pairs with one having more wear to it than the other and for the most part, they looked exactly how yours look. I've had some Banana Republic non-selvedge raw denim back in like 2005 and got them hemmed 2 years ago and they have been fading surprisingly well past 2 years. I haven't even washed them because I am afraid of them shrinking but they look even pretty good as is.

Gap selvedge is only good if you like the raw look but if you want that faded look, it's almost a waste of time with them.

Last edited:
Man where are yal picking them up so cheap though? I would cop a pair at $20-$40 goodness.

^^^^^Gap is having a F&F sale on the 11th. 50% off retail. Got got a coupon when I went to Banana Republic the other day.

I've had two pairs with one having more wear to it than the other and for the most part, they looked exactly how yours look. I've had some Banana Republic non-selvedge raw denim back in like 2005 and got them hemmed 2 years ago and they have been fading surprisingly well past 2 years. I haven't even washed them because I am afraid of them shrinking but they look even pretty good as is.

Gap selvedge is only good if you like the raw look but if you want that faded look, it's almost a waste of time with them.

Indeed it is nice to have that raw look. After I'm done with this pair, I'll be taking some measurements to look into a different pair of jeans. I was thinking about getting a pair of Edwin's but it's hard trying to get them from overseas, I dont even know of a US retailer that has em...ill keep my options open though.

Man where are yal picking them up so cheap though? I would cop a pair at $20-$40 goodness.

I wait til the end of the season with GAP and their chain stores, they usually have good deals. Black Friday was when i got my pair for $20 haha

Before cold soak:

Maybe its just the lighting but those look a little pre mature to wash

How much is to taper denim generally?

There's no definitive answer to this. It's highly variable between quality of work, and location. I get charged $15-16 for a regular taper, and $25 for a taper from the inseam.

I am actually just went to me local spot near work during lunch for my N&F jeans and it seems even more expensive than before. To taper ever so slightly (weird fits pretty decent but would like a tad big more taper, and hem two inches on both legs, it's going to cost me $47. This is probably the last time I got there even though they do good jobs. I am not stingy on money but paying twice as much just seems pretty high and it's going to take a week to get back.

I am actually just went to me local spot near work during lunch for my N&F jeans and it seems even more expensive than before. To taper ever so slightly (weird fits pretty decent but would like a tad big more taper, and hem two inches on both legs, it's going to cost me $47. This is probably the last time I got there even though they do good jobs. I am not stingy on money but paying twice as much just seems pretty high and it's going to take a week to get back.

damn you should've just sent it to railcar if it costs that much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom