*| | Denim _ School | |*

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Hopefully some of you guys can help me out as I am completely ignorant to raw denim care.

Just picked up a pair of Rag & Bone RB6's (non-selvage i believe) which fit nicely off the rack but I wanted to give them the proper care to have a nice fit. I usually wear a 36x32 in pre-washed jeans, and these are a 36x34. Good thing I saw Yamakazi's remark about hemming them before wearing them (which I was going to do). Im not as concerned with the high contrast fading as I am with getting a nice comfortable fit with some decent whiskers and honeycombs. Should I soak or not soak? If I soak, what is the best way to do so? Hot, lukewarm, cold? 36's fit pretty true to size and if they shrink more than an inch or two in the waist I'm either going to have to lose some weight or be extremely uncomfortable. Are Rag & Bone's known to shrink or stretch a good bit? Will I be doing mself a disservice if I hot soak them and shrink them too much or will everyday wear stretch them back to a decent fit? I hate to sound like a lame but what is the best pre-wear treatment methods before I start giving them the 24/7 wear? Thanks in advance.
i'd say just start wearing them if they fit perfect already on you and wash when necessary.

^ so no need to do a soak or anything since they wont really fade anyways? Should I do a pre-wash to shrink em before I get them hemmed or just hem it and wearas normal?

^nope, no need. you can do a pre-wash just to be on the safe side, then take that hem in. or, you could just hem and wear. it doesn't matter either way,there won't be significant shrinkage, and a fourth of an inch difference won't kill you.

edit: one more thing. i assume you are new to "denim knowledge" so to tell you a bit more about resin-coated jeans, they are resistant to fading, butif your jeans are dark, they will eventually fade, but it just takes a looooong time and through a lot of wear + tear for that to happen.

thanks for the info leftyjeenyus. i was at the len druskin outlet like last month. they pretty much only had true religions so i passed. i think in the nextcouple weeks i'll just stop through vs. again. i need a pair of blue jeans in rotation too. i like the way the wesc standards fit so maybe i'll justget them in blue also.
Ivy Mens Corpus and nudies, havent been there, but old location was nice. 1220 Glenwood Ave.
is this the place by mctc next door to joe's garage?

i'm sure you guys have already seen this, but if you haven't check it out.
laugh.gif

http://www.hypebeast.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42132

Originally Posted by yamakazi18

^nope, no need. you can do a pre-wash just to be on the safe side, then take that hem in. or, you could just hem and wear. it doesn't matter either way, there won't be significant shrinkage, and a fourth of an inch difference won't kill you.

edit: one more thing. i assume you are new to "denim knowledge" so to tell you a bit more about resin-coated jeans, they are resistant to fading, but if your jeans are dark, they will eventually fade, but it just takes a looooong time and through a lot of wear + tear for that to happen.

Thanks for the heads up. I didnt realize breaking in denim was such hard work. I either have to start wearing them to sleep or wear them under my slackswhen I go to work everyday. Guess i'm SOL.

Originally Posted by yamakazi18

well it looks as if this thread is pretty good for general knowledge. i'm not going to create a new guide then, seeing as how it'll almost echo this thread. however i'll try to answer questions along with all the other knowledgeable denimheads here =]

Damn Yamakazi you kind of dissapointed me...I was waiting for your guide

Rock & Republics, True Religion, Robin, Monarchy jeans

Nudie, APC, Earnest Sewn, Paper Denim & Cloth

are the only brands I wear

Anything less or else is uncivilized...

Originally Posted by Jwagg Swagg

No Offense but all those brands you mentioned are horrible.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Goodfellaz86

Damn Yamakazi you kind of dissapointed me...I was waiting for your guide

well you can ask all your questions here, myself and others will try to answer them. close enough to a guide, right?
happy.gif

Originally Posted by SWiFT Yons

No Offense but all those brands you mentioned are horrible.
laugh.gif

not really. nudie and apc are pretty good "starter" brands if you're just starting to get into raw, and ES has some great heavy denim, withsome of the best natural washes i've ever seen. probably one of the only brands where i'd actually buy their predistressed stuff. the fulton model isone of the most flattering cuts i've ever seen on guys as well(nh), especially in the line dry and raw models.
Originally Posted by raychongchen

"raw" and "selvedge" denim is pretty trendy.

yea, if you're a hypebeast. to the denimhead it's been around for ages.
Originally Posted by fingerollin

earnest sewn makes some decent denim but most of their stuff is crap.

oh hellllll naw
laugh.gif

you cant be serious, all the brands on the top line you metioned are TERRIBLE, especially(and i can't stress this enough) true religions
smh.gif

nudie and apc are great brands but definitely not the best, earnest sewn makes some decent denim but most of their stuff is crap. aditionally, earnest sewnis planning to release a line of cheaper crappier denim to be more "affordable" as the rep for them told me
laugh.gif
. As for paper denim, i was neverreally a fan

by the lloks of that statement it looks to me as if the internet dresses you and you just called out the last few brands you heard of to come off as a cooldude, great first post homie, i look forward to many more
laugh.gif

by the lloks of that statement it looks to me as if the internet dresses you and you just called out the last few brands you heard of to come off as a cool dude, great first post homie, i look forward to many more
laugh.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHA Ice Cold man... probably true... but still harsh.

This is a pretty stupid question (but an honest one). What makes it "good" denim? The type of cotton used? The amount of material? The process inwhich it is produced? Being handmade? Certain types of stitchwork? Is it like bedsheets where there are different threadcounts?

Also I see a lot of True Religion bashing going on. What makes these jeans so crappy aside from the stupid#$%* horseshoe on the butt. I never bought a pairnor do I ever intend to just cause I dont like the way they look but is a design hate, craftsmanship hate, or just overall?

I'm not a denimhead by any means as most of the jeans in my rotation are pre-washed Diesel, AG, or Banana Republic (nothing crazy as you can see) so anyinfo is much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

by the lloks of that statement it looks to me as if the internet dresses you and you just called out the last few brands you heard of to come off as a cool dude, great first post homie, i look forward to many more
laugh.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHA Ice Cold man... probably true... but still harsh.

This is a pretty stupid question (but an honest one). What makes it "good" denim? The type of cotton used? The amount of material? The process in which it is produced? Being handmade? Certain types of stitchwork? Is it like bedsheets where there are different threadcounts?

Also I see a lot of True Religion bashing going on. What makes these jeans so crappy aside from the stupid#$%* horseshoe on the butt. I never bought a pair nor do I ever intend to just cause I dont like the way they look but is a design hate, craftsmanship hate, or just overall?

I'm not a denimhead by any means as most of the jeans in my rotation are pre-washed Diesel, AG, or Banana Republic (nothing crazy as you can see) so any info is much appreciated.

to address you first question, good denim is comprised of many aspects including, where it's made, the looms they were made on, the weight of thecotton, and many other factors. the bashing of most mall based denim happens because they claim high quality when it's more than likely is made in the samegiant factory that mass produces denim, crappy denim. Also take in mind that raw and selvage =/= the best available, I've seen some prewashed denim withsuperb quality before. To answer your question on true religions i qoute my post from the first page

Originally Posted by cs02132

avoid true religions at all cost

Why is that?

terrible quality

hideous stitching

they're made in some back alley factory in turkey on shoddy looms and they claim to have "fine" quality (laughable)
ed hardy, vondutch, true religion all under the same tree of eventual ridicule
you can literally get dozens of other brand jeans that put them to shame from every standpoint you could think of.

and after all that 250+ for a pair of jeans that wont last me a couple of washes? no sir

and lastly most cats who rock these only rock because when other people see the gaudy stitching they'll know they paid good money too look as foolish as they do

I havent read through this thread, so forgive me if its been mentioned, but whats the deal with Corpus? I bought a pair earlier this year and love em, but icant find em anywear now.

(the baggier fit ones, not the tight ones, the ones i have are like boot cut or something.)

Originally Posted by oo206oo

I havent read through this thread, so forgive me if its been mentioned, but whats the deal with Corpus? I bought a pair earlier this year and love em, but i cant find em anywear now.

(the baggier fit ones, not the tight ones, the ones i have are like boot cut or something.)

funny you should mention those as i have a pair on the way right now. one of the few brands that make a prewashed denim i can mess with and my local connectcarries 'em. the make a great raw jean too. i believe revolveclothing.com has some corpus jeans in stock in raw and prewashed give them a look. if youdon't see what you like there get back at me and i'll go about locating a specific model/cut for you if i can.

Ive checked out revolve and havent seen anything in the past. What im lookin for is a raw baggier cut.

If you could point me in the right direction, that would be clutch, good lookin out.

i think the biggest cut they made tis season is the fine R straighleg in raw. I'm running mad errands tomorrow including picking up some denim for somefolks, i'll see if i can find older baggier model for you

I still wanna know if the Levi's Premium E are a good buy or not. They're not crazy expensive, but they are marketed as Levi's higher-end denim,and I really like how they look. Anybody care to elaborate?

Anyone know how edwin or earnest sewns fit in the thigh region (nh). I know it will vary from the style but if anyone has a general opinion on the fitting it would be much appreciated.

i've found that they run larger than the brands previously mentioned in this post.

as for levis premium E, they're not great but not terrible. The matchstick jeans they make have gotten semi-popular recently ans seem to be a nice pair ofjeans but i've never tried 'em. I'm sure someone else can shed some more light of levis for you as i'm not terribly familiar with them

I honestly think it's all a matter of opinion. I, for one, hate the way raw denim feels, I like softer denim. Just try on a bunch and see what ones youlike most and which ones feel the best.

It may not be great quality or whatever, I don't know enough about denim to argue it. But basicly all I wear are seven for all mankind's, I love theway they look and feel. I got like 7 or 8 pair of those and a pair of diesel's, and that's my rotation.

ok i have a question..i just bought this pair of LRG raw jeans from karmaloop..i did my measurements and everthing and the theighs were gonna be a little tightso i got one size up, and they came in the mail and everything fit good (waist and everything) it was just that the theigh area was a little too tight and toostiff so i put them in the washer and dryed them on like extra delicate+air dry so that they wouldnt shrink and they would and get less stiff, but the thing isthat they shrunk a little bit, just where i didnt want them, on the theigh area and now im wondering if theres a way i can get the theigh area to get a littlebigger? heres the jeans that i got..they are a 28 at the theigh area and if i could get them to be like 29 or 30 tahd be great but i dont know how i remmeberseeing how some people like soak them then wear them when theyre wet or something like that but idk
J07204SR-RAWmd.jpg

and i want them to get like this but a little less baggy

G07221C47-LTINDmd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom