Destiny Thread (Bungie) - 9/9/14

wow they patched the infinite self res. and infinite solar grenades for the warlock.

now i dont even wanna keep working on that character :smh:

pretty sure i'm the only gamer in the world who dislikes reddit. i just hate clicking around. and i dont see what im looking for.
I never went there a lot, but the Destiny sub page normally has everything you need on the main page of it. Ironically, as I look, I do not see the Daily Strike/Bounty thread that one guy makes every day listing the stuff for the day
laugh.gif

2 friends carried my level 25 Titan through the nightfall lastnight before the reset :lol:

All my shots were resisting lol..

Ending up getting the Hard Light as my reward though

I found this interesting post about earning XP in Destiny in regards to the Radiant Light buff, Telemetry Packs, and Grimoire Card bonuses. It is in the spoiler since it is pretty lengthy.
Tiger Strike Exp:

I decided to test how much exp I get at the end of a Tiger Strike because I was curious and what I found was that your weapons, just like in the daily missions, don't get any of the Tiger Strike exp applied to them. The only exp that your weapons get throughout the entire strike is the exp from killing enemies while your weapon is out.

Edit - For clarification, the weapon that gets the kill gets the exp, so if you shoot a rocket and switch weapons before it hits, the rocket will still get the exp. If you are holding an auto rifle and your teammate gets a kill, as long as you are near your teammate, your rifle will get the exp.

Here's the before and after of the exp for the whole strike.

I got a total of 2,998 weapon exp from killing enemies and total of 6,585 for the entire strike, which means 3,587 came from completing the strike at the end. That includes my Radiant Light bonus. It seems like The Summoning Pits Tiger Strike has a base amount of ~2,870 exp given for completing it.

Round 2 for the same strike gave me:

Total Exp: 5,859

Weapon Exp: 2,172

Strike Completion w/ Radiant Light: 3,687

Strike Completion Base: 2,949

The only notable differences between the two strikes were we skipped a lot of adds in the second one and I think the second one took us a bit longer. I'm not too sure though since I didn't check the timers at the end.

Grimoire Cards:

Since I had just completed a bounty previously, I decided to see if I can figure out how much exp the Grimoire Card bonus gives you. It turns out that it's 5%. I turned in a 2,500 exp bounty and got a total of 3,281 experience for it on my AE. That means the game calculates the bonus 5% experience from the Grimoire card first and then the bonus experience from Radiant Light from the new amount.

For that specific bounty it was

(2,500*1.05)1.25=3,281

In total, you get an extra 31.24% experience towards your weapons with the Radiant Light and Grimoire card bonuses active.

Telemetry Bonus:

This is going to be split up into two parts. One with the Grimoire card bonus and one without. I used two 5k exp bounties to calculate the amounts.
Starting exp for my Devil You Know was 744. After turning in the bounty, I had 8,556. A total of 7,812 exp for the 5k bounty with a Telemetry active. It looks like Telemetries work the same way that the Grimoire card bonus works when calculating exp. First, the game calculates the Base+Telemetry Bonus and then it gives you 25% extra to the new amount. Quick math shows the telemetry bonus is 25%.

With a Telemetry and the Radiant Light buff active, your weapons get an extra 56.24% experience from bounties and kills. I'm assuming kills are calculated the same way bounties would be.
Grimoire, Telemetry and Radiant Light:
I went back to my Atheon's Epilogue for this one. Starting experience was 15,996/20,000. After turning in the bounty, it was at 4,198/20,000. That's a total of 8,202 experience from the 5k bounty. The exp calculation is, not surprisingly, similar to the ones before. The total experience is ((5k*1.05)1.25)1.25=8,202

With all three buffs active, you gain an additional 64.04% experience towards your weapons.

tl;dr

Tiger Strike base exp is around 2,800 for the Summoning Pits. That exp does not apply to weapons. Only the experience gained from killing enemies while your weapon is out does.

Grimoire Card bonus is 5%.

Telemetry bonus is 25%.

Grimoire and Radiant Light active give an extra 31.24% exp.

Telemetry and Radiant Light active give an extra 56.24% exp.

Grimoire, Telemetry and Radiant Light active give an extra 64.04% exp.

Bonus Info:

Check out my posts here and here for some Crucible exp info.

The exp you get from completing a patrol (either 250 or 500) doesn't count towards weapons either! It looks like kills, bounties and daily event packages are the only ways to get exp towards your weapons. Seems kind of stingy on Bungie's end considering Exotics take 200k+ exp to level up.

Just a head's up, Nightfall buff doesn't stack with Iron Banner. At least I ranked up to rank 2 last time so I only have the big three left to go to get all the goodies this time around. Some raw numbers from Reddit.
STAT RE-ROLLS

Cost - 2 motes of light, equip the item and talk to LS. This will wipe all Exp from the weapon and randomly put new stats on the weapon - this is complete RNG, I advise you research which stats you want, work out how many motes of light you can spare... and cross your fingers.

IRON BANNER RANKS & REWARDS:

RANK 1 - 100 EXP

Rewards
  1. Iron Banner Emblem - 2400 gimmer (/u/pryan37bb)
RANK 2 - 1200 EXP  /u/m3ghost

Rewards:
  1. Iron Banner Shader - 7500 glimmer (/u/pryan37bb)
RANK 3 - 2400 EXP

Rewards:
  1. 2 sets of boots (light 30) - 9950 glimmer.
RANK 4 - 2400 EXP

Rewards:
  1. Peruns Fire - Legendary Fusion Rifle - 11500 glimmer;
  2. 2 sets of gauntlets (light 30) - 9950 glimmer;
  3. Iron Banner Class Item - 4500 glimmer (/u/pryan37bb)
RANK 5 - 2400 EXP

Rewards:
  1. Gheleon's Demise (Legendary Scout Rifle) - 11500 glimmer;
  2. Iron Banner Shader - 7500 glimmer (/u/pryan37bb)

EXPERIENCE GAINS

A win:  50 Exp

A loss:  You will gain a medallion, this will be cashed in on your next win - max medallions that can be held are 5. Your next win will grant you 90 Exp (50 for the win + 40 for the medallion) 10% buffs also work on medallions

e.g. (50 + 40) x 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.1 = 120 Exp (/u/m3ghost) & (/u/jmkreth)

EQUIPABLE BUFFS

Equipping the Emblem: +10% (/u/KodiakDuck)

Equipping the shader: + 10% (/u/KodiakDuck)

Equipping the class item: +10% (/u/KodiakDuck)

Equipping all 3 items = 50 x 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.1 = 66 Exp (/u/KodiakDuck) (/u/R2k14)

Given 66 exp for a win and 8500 Exp to reach rank 5 you will need 129 wins  *not including tempered or bounties.

NOTE.  The above is only true if you already have the 3 items from the previous IB, if your starting from scratch your progression (not including tempering/bounties) shall be:

1. 2 wins needed to get to Rank 1. (1st class item gives 1.1 x 50 (55 Exp))

2. 22 wins to get to Rank 2. (2nd class item gives 1.1 x 1.1 x 50 (60 Exp))

3. 40 wins to get to Rank 3.

4. 40 wins to get to Rank 4. (3rd class item gives 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.1 x 50 (66 Exp))

5. 36 wins to get to Rank 5.
So that totals to 140 wins. but with temper buffs and bounties it'll obviously be quicker than time spent winning 140 games. (/u/itachiuchiha64)

NEW - TEMPERED BUFF

WARNING  - THIS IS A ONE TIME USE ITEM AND ACTIVATES ON PURCHASE LASTING 12 HOURS!!

The potency of this buff increases daily to allow for players with busier schedules to catch up towards the end of the event - however its currently not known what % the buff increases daily. I would advise utilising this towards the end of the week or even Monday if you can hold out that long!

1. DAY 1 - 10%; (/u/TheMirakuru)

2. DAY 2 - ??%;

3. DAY 3 - ??%;

4. DAY 4 - ??%;

5. DAY 5 - ??%;

6. DAY 6 - ??%;

7. DAY 7 - ??%.

Last edited:
So wait until Sunday/Monday to use that buff to get more XP bonus from it. Interestingly enough, I don't think I bought the class item, but I did buy the shader from IB. Guess I will do that when I get on today.

Here is another write up someone did on the importance of having 300 level weapons in the VoG Hard Mode run. It is well said and very spot on.
All my characters are 29. Since there's a lot of this elitist talk going around I thought I'd share my opinion on being 29.
You need 300 weapons to be successful in an all 29 group. It's a simple fact. You may have anecdotal evidence where your core group of highly organized friends managed, but the truth is most pug groups don't have that level of synchronicity.

Every time I try with a group that doesn't have 300 we fail at confluxes. Starting at oracles and completing templar don't count, since you are cheesing.

Every time I try with at least 4 people maxed weapons we can get to gatekeeper, and often Atheon. But in those instances the maxed weapons folks are almost always picking up the slack. And it becomes evident when the non maxed people can't hold a sync plate, or kill oracles. Then we always have to replace them, and when we do everything works out all honkey dory.

I used to give non maxed 29s a chance, I really did, many times, many wipes, they just don't do enough damage. Then enemies start to spill over and we wipe. This brings down the whole group and causes people to quit.

If you can't be bothered to get your weapons to 300 you shouldn't be attempting hard mode. Hard mode is the reason weapons get to 300.

I'd like to add that weapons at 300 are better than raid weapons that aren't at 300. Just because you have a 248~270 Atheons epilogue(or any other weapon) doesn't mean you should use it over a 300 non raid primary. The raid is a place for maxed stats, not a place to get experience.

300/300/300 is a recipe for success in hard mode. Please don't attempt without it, as you will hamper your groups progress and further discourage people from inviting 29s. Remember even at 300 we do like ~13% less damage than a 30 with 248s, don't widen the gap anyone than it needs be.

This opinion is absolutely not elitist, it's fact. Upgrading weapons doesn't require anything special aside from time. If your not willing to spend that time please don't waste other people's time in the raid. Do your daily story mode on 28. Do at least 1 public event per character per day. If you can't manage the daily story on 28 you can't manage the raid on 30. Do the normal mode raid every week. Level up purple guns you don't want (get the experience, don't spend materials) and break them down, you'll get 4~9 energy and probably a telemetry.

Last edited:
Popped Bladedancer out and attempted to clear a control point this morning in the Iron Banner. I proceeded to get one shotted by a Light Beware Fusion rifle from a level 30. Yeah, they def tweaked it. (I'm level 30 too btw.) Fusion rifles are so powerful in the Iron Banner. I'll be running with mine for sure over my shotty.

Welp, guess it will be...

Shadow Price / Praeydeth's Timepiece

Plan C / 77 Wizard

GGhorn/Truth/Hezens/Swarm

I am a big fan of auto rifles and so I was wondering what is the best auto rifle to use in Destiny?

I am a big fan of auto rifles and so I was wondering what is the best auto rifle to use in Destiny?

Every gun depends on the situation. Suros is probably the best along with the Vanquisher. I like the Epilogue even though many don't like it. I got a Monte Carlo recently and it seems decent, low recoil but also low impact so not as much stagger.

I was an AR guy but I've been slowly shifting to Scout Rifles and Hand Cannons for PvE because they do a lot of more damage if you have a skilled hand.

For autos most will go with:
Exotic:
Suros Regime

Legendary:
Shadow Price
Vanquisher III

Rare:
Gallahad
Shingen

I would be down to run a normal raid tonight, but I gotta watch SOA...third to last ep ever...
Watching sons always gets me I be 15 minutes in then the title rolls in and for some reason I laugh every time.

It's like damn I know I'm going to be sitting here watching this for some time.

Edit:
For autos most will go with:
Exotic:
Suros Regime

Legendary:
Shadow Price
Vanquisher III

Rare:
Gallahad
Shingen
No Epilogue?

Last edited:

Every gun depends on the situation. Suros is probably the best along with the Vanquisher. I like the Epilogue even though many don't like it. I got a Monte Carlo recently and it seems decent, low recoil but also low impact so not as much stagger.

I was an AR guy but I've been slowly shifting to Scout Rifles and Hand Cannons for PvE because they do a lot of more damage if you have a skilled hand.
yeah I like using AR because of the amount of bullets depending on how ever many enemies you have. But that is true about hand cannons they are :smokin the only thing is that since they usually have a small magazine and that's what I don't like but the damage they do is on point.

finally got a void MG the deviant from nightfall. my other character got 10 shards :smh: im down to run the raid right now ill be on all day. would like to start no later than 5pst though.

Watching sons always gets me I be 15 minutes in then the title rolls in and for some reason I laugh every time.

It's like damn I know I'm going to be sitting here watching this for some time.

Edit:

No Epilogue?
I don't have, but those that have it like it, especially with the void burns and in VoG. I am not sure for PvP though. I think the other 3 I listed (exotic/legendary) would be picked for crucible over it.

Was kinda hoping that the update would allow. For faction vendors to take vanguard marks along with crucible

Since we can earn rep for factions through vanguard and crucible, we definitely should be able to use both with them.

You can do decent with autos still. They just don't dominate like they use to. It allows for you to try other primaries with success.

Suros fully upgraded with extended range is like having an auto scout rifle. I'm probably going to be running with that, a fusion, and my Corrective Measure just because it has a 100 round mag.

Hand cannon and fusion rifles for PvP.

Auto rifles are cool too for both PvP and PvE, but I can't rock with the high rate of fire and zero impact ones :x

Just got this VoC and judging that I've always been a scout rifle type for PvE I'm sure I'll enjoy the hell out of it :smokin

Back
Top Bottom