"Devaluation of the Nike Air Jordan Line"...

Link originally posted through Yahoo's NBA page. I know this sort of argument has been around NT for years now and just within the last few weeks there have been about 2 or 3 similar subjects posted. But seeing another view coming from popular media does make you realize how noticeable the "worrying" trend is... A bit of a long read...but worth a long read...

Certainly for me a child of the 80's and getting into bball and kicks in the early 90's, the cry has been similar and it's nice to see a piece like this to shed some light on the issue. Sad but true, that this overpopulation of Jordans in the market has severly diluted the aura of the line but in business, with a superstar who isn't on the court anymore, its everpresence is possibly the only way to save its relevance...hmmmmm....Feel free to discuss....

http://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2010/5/17/1475726/the-devaluation-of-the-air-jordan
[h2]
[h2]The Devaluation of the Nike Air Jordan shoe line, or rather, how I came to 'afford' Jordan Spizikes [/h2]
tiny.v11567.gif
by dj fuzzylogic on May 17, 2010 11:31 AM PDT in Fashion
comment.v1599.png
5 comments

(once $150, now only $120)

The other day a friend and I went to the new Nike Clearance Store in San Leandro figuring we could score on some cheap, generic basketball shorts for $10 dollars or possibly less.  I had gone to factory outlets before and know the selection, colors, and sizes for shoes are all a bit off.  Either that or they may be defective where the Nike swoosh is upside down. 

But this Nike Clearance Store, like the Nordstrom Rack next door, had the prime apparel that you would expect to see at Foot Locker, about 2 years ago.  I was browsing through the size 10 aisle and found several pairs of the same exact Air Force 1 x Jordan 3s which I had copped for $120 dollars in the fall of 2008, now only $59.  It wasn't a random color (like blue x orange) but the original all-black with the grey cement/elephant printing.  And there wasn't just one pair, but 3!  I turned around looking at the size 10.5 shelves and found several more.  Not only that, but there were a few other AF1xJordan crossovers, like the 4s, as well.  All which could be had for $59.

Not only did this make me feel stupid for copping my pair for full price, a pair of shoes I have probably worn no more than 8 times for a grand total of maybe 3 hours (I usually just wear them when I step out to grocery or liquor store to pick something up quick), but I also wondered why they were so readily available, seemingly as ordinary as a pair of Reeboks.  Kids and young adults hunting for kicks in the same aisle barely gave a glance at the Jordans, instead opting for low-top and high-top Nike Dunks and other shoes I had seen before on Eastbay for $29.99. 

What's happening to the royal Jordan line which people once physically assaulted people for on the streets and outside of shoe stores?    Is there a devaluation of the Jordan line?  Or is this really about the democratization of style?  Jordans for everyone?  Or Jordans suddenly needing a make-over?  

http://
star-divide.v5547.jpg

The price drop in the Jordan-line can be see not only in the AFxJordan line but all across the board.  If you go onto Finishline.com, the price of some Jordan 6s and the Spizikes have been reduced by 25%.  I managed to pick up a pair of Spizikes several weeks ago for $142 after taxes with promo-codes and more, which at full price would have been close to $200 out the door.  The new Air Jordan Alpha 1s, once $124.99, have been reduced by almost 33% (all sizes available)

Homie Hellanoize suggested that the flooding of the market with all kinds of Jordan hybrids has meant people are not merely loyal to the original Jordans anymore since there is so much choice.  Also, he suggested that there is just too much supply. 

This I could agree with.  Last week I went to pick up some alterations and a young woman, probably an underclassman in high school, was wearing the Jordan Flight 45 highs in white, blue and purple.  The shoes are a little too bulky for me.  But what disturbed me more was the juxtaposition of my Spizikes and her 45s, both shoes which are too expensive I would say for either of us to own at our age and, more importantly, with our payscales (either that or she's mowed a lot of lawns).  Maybe she got her shoes on sale, too?  But, honestly, at what time ever would there be two people in a store both wearing Jordans (of some kind)?

But could this be only explanation for the ubiquity of Jordans on the feet of people in their teens upwards to their 40s and 50s?  Is too much choice and opportunity suddenly mean that they are less "special?"  Is it like the episode of the Simpsons where Homer revealed the secret ingredient to the Flaming Moe and the sudden explosion of it everywhere meant that it was no longer interesting?

OR does Jordan's legacy as a GM have anything to do with the sudden drop in demand?  Jordan will forever be remembered as THE best player of all time but does this generation of basketball fans growing up in the Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, and Lebron James era know about Jordan's greatness or just as a terrible GM with a penchant for college girls? As an aging G.O.A.T, I get the feeling that youth may consider him and his line as Nikes' senior citizen collection.  And if winning is considered the anti-dote to all athletes issues with their reputation, then doesn't Jordan's losing streak with the Washington Wizards and Charlotte Bobcats (sans this season) make him less desirable of a player/icon/legend to align oneself with?

(Is this the lasting image we have of Jordan shoes rather than 6 championships rings?)

Or is it possibly that basketball shoes are just on the wrong side of the fashion curve?  In an era where casual shoes like Creative Recreations and chucks have become both a shoe for the street and for the clubs, perhaps basketball shoes just out of style.  Talking to a salesman at the Levi Store (ok, I don't really shop this much, but I'm trying to upgrade some dated aspects of my current wardrobe) about shoes and whether I should cop the Spizikes, he bluntly said "I don't really care about Jordans anymore. I prefer the skateboarding style more."  The kid was a year detached from college and at least a good 8 years younger than me.  But he brings up a good point that as trends go, maybe Nike, temporarily, just isn't keeping up with the trends...or can't compete with the trends at this moment.  When walking into another shoe store at Valley Fair, not one customer once touched a pair of the Jordans instead opting to touch and look at the Lebrons.

(too ugly for the basketball courts even?)

In looking at their recent releases, it seems that they've lacked innovation for some time.  Instead of seeing new shoes, there seems to be more re-releases of hit shoes from the nineties which have been hybridized with other hit shoes from the nineties.   Case in point, the Penny Hardaway ½ cents, which is a combination of his classic first and second shoe.  Or the Nike Air Max A Lots, a hybridization of the first Scottie Pippens and the Air Maxs.  The shocking thing is how at regular price they're only $87 dollars but are now on sale for $50.  By looking at them, it's pretty clear why they've been discounted so much and so readily available. 

Atma Brother #1 and I have talked at length about the "golden era" of shoes during the early to late nineties.  I would go so far as to argue that Jordans and Nike in general has been in a funk since as early as the 2000s.  It's not that basketball as a sport has gone out of style, but perhaps its the fashion of basketball.  In the past you might have worn Jordan 11s with a tuxedo for a wedding.  Nowadays where the nerdy, grown and known style of cardigans, dress shirts, and skinny ties and jeans are in, rocking clunky basketball shoes is a fashion no-no.

Or perhaps the bottoming out of the economy has made consumers think twice about the ridiculous pricing of Jordan shoes.  If equally stylish Creative Recs can be had for $50 dollars, perhaps young people with less spending power or even people with spending power will opt for those instead of basketball shoes 3 times the price?

I don't have an answer for why Jordans are so available...just some general ideas.  But is this phenomenon of Jordan overstock telling us something about major shifts in the shoe business?  For you shoe fanatics, what are your thoughts about your changing consumer tastes and the possibility of the end of the Jordan/Nike dominance?
[/h2]

people don't buy all these horrible fusions and stuff because its not original (as in the shoe that michael wore himself)
The signature line usually sells great, unless they put a horrible new CW on it like the piston 6's.
smh.gif

If the sig has an OG colorway It is GUARRANTEED to sell (except for the XV)
people love the signature line and OG cw because Michael actually wore them

good read but if they put out good shoes with nice simple colorways they would sell.....oh wait *cough* white/red xii...but when they drop junk like the piston vi they sell like hot cakes before 10am HUH?????

zapatohead408 wrote:
people don't buy all these horrible fusions and stuff because its not original (as in the shoe that michael wore himself)
The signature line usually sells great, unless they put a horrible new CW on it like the piston 6's.
smh.gif

Not really. White/Red XII's are still sitting in most places

over saturation might be the problem more than anything.  too many retros being released, too many fusions, too many other shoes in general.  there are just too many shoes out there to choose from and too many basketball shoes at that.  it seems like 50 jordan retros and countless other jb shoes, 30 lebrons, 25 kobes, and many others.  nothing really seems special anymore and people can't and won't buy everything just to buy it.  i can't stand limited releases but i just think the number of releases should be cut down.

I think its a combination of all things. Jordan could easily retain its reputation by releasing Limited amounts of Retros in OG colorways maybe 5 to 6 times a year. They would all sell out. It would create massive hype and people would love jordans again. The problem is that doesn't translate to enough profit. Jordan can make just as much by flooding the market with the OG colored retros. Even though they sit and don't sell out they are charged the same price and they don't see themselves as losing money through re-sale markets.

I think the quality is a big issue and i think the lack of exposure is another one. Why is D-Wade the only player in the NBA wearing the jordan 2010 when more then half of the nike sponsored athletes are in Kobe V's? Bibby, Ray Allen, Joe Johnson, Michael Findley (yes i said him), DJ Augustine, carmelo anthony (i know he has his own line but still) none of them sport the 2010 to play in. They need to create a sig shoe and force thier athletes to wear it. I think that will help restore some of the jordan mystique

Originally Posted by Jking0821

I think its a combination of all things. Jordan could easily retain its reputation by releasing Limited amounts of Retros in OG colorways maybe 5 to 6 times a year. They would all sell out. It would create massive hype and people would love jordans again. The problem is that doesn't translate to enough profit. Jordan can make just as much by flooding the market with the OG colored retros. Even though they sit and don't sell out they are charged the same price and they don't see themselves as losing money through re-sale markets.

I think the quality is a big issue and i think the lack of exposure is another one. Why is D-Wade the only player in the NBA wearing the jordan 2010 when more then half of the nike sponsored athletes are in Kobe V's? Bibby, Ray Allen, Joe Johnson, Michael Findley (yes i said him), DJ Augustine, carmelo anthony (i know he has his own line but still) none of them sport the 2010 to play in. They need to create a sig shoe and force thier athletes to wear it. I think that will help restore some of the jordan mystique
Your last paragraph is something I pushed throughout the entire year in the NBA Feet thread in the Nike forum. I have never seen a signature shoe within the Jordan Brand not widely used by its sponsored athletes like this. I was really surprised this season. Apart from those during the All Star Weekend and Q-Rich wearing  the OG colourway during the year and the NCAA JB teams in their silver editions, none of the other guys wore the 2010's and that is/was a shame, especially considering the levelled cristicisms the shoe got from us the public, I'm surprised they didn't push more PEs on court to try to lessen the blow. Or maybe there is a bigger plan to come for them that we don't know of...NikeID? Like the little MaZe posted a few days ago, which isn't confirmed? For the 25th edition of the shoe (4get the design criticisms), their pushing of this specific shoe was WEAK!

I dont know how it is ova there in the states but ova here jordans and nikes are still dominating, and its cause we dont have that huge influx like the US does. Even with the price increases due to customs (25%), you can still find where ever you go someone rockin a pair, but right now there more leanin towards the cheaper fusions and flights, because to them the fact that their jordans make them hot. The problem to me is like its been said is the supply, there is just to much being put out there still, back when I was growing up it was such a big thing to have a pair of jordans on your feet because there wasnt that much being put out there so getting your hands on a pair was meaninful, now its nothing special.

Originally Posted by 310HxA

zapatohead408 wrote:
smh.gif

Not really. White/Red XII's are still sitting in most places

people are not because mike's not wearing em himself  their not buying jordans anymore because they are missing the 2 things that made them sell during the 90's and very early 00's, Quality and The Nike Air logo, originally there wasn't a jumpman on the 1's so why if they retro em now there's more jumpmans than nike logos, keep them the way they were and i bet people would want to buy em, instead of coming out with crap like the laker 6's or killing and taking away the significance of the 1's

Just another trite opinion....

I'd say the appeal has nearly grown obsolete with my generation (well, i'll be more specific and say "my circle of friends") as they no
longer don air jordan sneakers (i'm the only shoe jock in the crew, there's my homeboy's girl, but she's only 21 and still
has that highschool mentality - the rest of us are nearly 30).

The state/downturn of the economy has some (if not plenty) to do with JB's faltering existence.

The jordan "umph" factor typically dimishes as people mature and have other, more important finances to control (and the
tweens have school to prioritize and don't fish too much for shoes - i don't speak for all, just most as that was my reason for
getting out the game for nearly half a decade and a many that i knew. It was expensive to say the least). This is why people turn
to sneakers like chucks, adidas and creative recs. They're fashionable, affordable, you don't have to clean after each wear, etc.

As for the "devaluation" aspect of the JB line... eh. I'd say the design of more recent models and quality of build on retros,
along with the aforementioned "super saturation" of production plays monumental roles for the devaluation (i've seen a lot of
dudes rockin' the XII's now they've hit sale racks and i don't even wanna put 'em on for that reason alone - i know it sounds mad
juvementary but its real talk).

It really comes down to trends and popularity. If people really wanted J's... they'd buy 'em, it just doesn't make sense right now
for many with so much uncertainty with the market and whatnot.

The fair weather fans will buy 'em occasionally. The hardcore enthusiasts (like us) will buy the sig models and keep it movin'.

The way we responded to the packs, space jams... i think JB will continue to flood the scene with releases.

Take it as it is...

Stopped reading after I read, "I was browsing through the size 10 aisle and found several pairs of the same exact Air Force 1 x Jordan 3s which I had copped for $120 dollars in the fall of 2008".

The author misses the point too, that it's not as if Jordans never went on sale until they started releasing Spiz'ikes etc.

Anybody remember Laney Vs for example?

And he's in outlet for Christ' sake! Of course there's going to be a plethora of models/colourways on sale/clearance. When I go to an outlet, that's what I want to see!

Without question the "Mystique" of the Air Jordan Line has evolved into a force which simply just regards itself as selling out products with little to no consideration to QUALITY and possibly even performance. We've all heard about the BIN23 project but clearly it may not be exactly what Jordan Shoe enthusiast's really want ..or maybe it is? At any rate, I for one encourage the progression of the brand and I guess may be naively optimistic, but I also endorse the notion that if it isn’t worth purchasing, I probably won't make that purchase after all.

Jordan Brand 1985-200x: Comfort/performance/stlye/appeal/name/quality/sales

Jordan Brean: 2003-today: Revenue/bottom-line/gross profit

it's all about green these days if you ask me. idc what anyone says, once someone gets a taste of money they'll do whatever it take to make more.

Jordan Brand 1985-200x: Comfort/performance/stlye/appeal/name/quality/sales

Jordan Brean: 2003-today: Revenue/bottom-line/gross profit

it's all about green these days if you ask me. idc what anyone says, once someone gets a taste of money they'll do whatever it take to make more.

I would never buy a Retro Jordan nowadays at full price, ever. (Unless it's the obvious items that will sell out)

Wait a couple of weeks, months, they'll be reduced significantly.

Then again, I haven't bought a new Retro Jordan since the Space Jams in December.

i was unable to get the 11/12 package, the space jams, and the black/red 6's because they all sold out before it was even my turn in line so if you ask me.. its all the fusion and spizikes crap thats ruining the "special" of JB

1. fashion is changing
2. price is too high
3. too many fusions look like sig line
4. quality sucks
5. too many releases ( it doesnt even feel special anymore)

But who carez as long as i can get da shoes dat i like and dont have to hunt a shoe down or pay retail + $50-$100

Back
Top Bottom