Diagnosed with a large brain cyst, may need brain surgery?

Belgium

formerly colombia
Any of you guys ever dealt with this? I realize the odds are slim but if anyone here has any input on brain related issues or surgeries it'd be appreciated.

Backstory (I'm trying to keep it short, feel free to ask anything).

A month or 2 ago I was put in a mental ward for a week after experiencing a night of psychosis (which I don't remember). Lately the hallucinations have returned on the odd occasions though I'm now aware of what's happening and it's really just spirals moving in the center of my vision or immobile objects kinda wobbling.

I finally got to see a neuropsychiatrist (double title of neurologist and psychiatrist) in order to shed some light on the issue and damage to my nervous system from my partial lung removal in October 2013.

Some of you may remember this but I was diagnosed with a very complex form of intralobary pulmonary sequestration and needed emergency surgery removing all the malicious tissue (half of my right lung) due to an internal hemorrhage. Since then I've had bad balance and decreased function and sensation in my right leg and right hand.

I was forced to drop out of college due to these issues as well as depression but I've been off my antidepressants for almost a month now and aside from the psychosis and occasional hallucinations returning recently I feel relatively well.

So back to today, I visited the neuropsychiatrist and I'm not sure what to think of this news. I show no signs of tradional mental illnesses involving hallucinations, psychosis, ...

Even the psychosis itself was atypical as it only lasted a night as well as lacking delusional thoughts, conspiracy ideas, ...

However an MRI that was taken shows I have a large arachnoidal cyst at the back of my brains. It's now being considered as a serious possiblity that this cyst basically acts as a tumor (it's located around my brain stem and right cerebellum). I don't have much, if any, depth perception and moderately bad eyesight so those are also being considered as possible symptoms now. For example I have almost zero chance of catching an object such as a pen thrown at me and can even miss a basketball.

I'm being admitted to a very specialized neurological ward in the university hospital of Ghent (I live in Belgium) on the 22nd of August for neurological monitoring.

For the moment that's all I really know but the facts strongly suggest that this brain cyst is the main cause of a lot of issues.

I looked up some information about cysts and it seems if it's malicious various types of brain surgery are suggested.

So has anyone here had any similar experiences? I'm not too stressed about it for the moment but I assume the closer I get to the 22nd of August and the possibility of real bad news becomes more real I'll be in a different mood.

Wow man that's scary!

Seems like you're confident and in good spirits

Praying for you bro.
nthat.gif
I survived a lung hemorrhage and a risky lung removal so might as well survive this too 
laugh.gif

For now I'm positive, who knows when the day comes though.

Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery with no complications.

I've never gone through anything like this, so I'm just hoping for the best for you, man.  Gotta be tough dealing with all of those problems, but like you said, you've pulled through before, so might as well pull through again.  Keep your head up and keep us updated.

Good luck my friend, wish you the best, god is on your side whether you believe in him or not.

Damn dude. Good luck and keep your head up as you have been. You should get first dibs on a NT hat.

Good **** getting off the anti-depressants homie :smokin

I know a dude who had some type of brain cyst and he turned out cool. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but if it's anything similar to what you have then the doc gave him some pills and he was back to normal after a few weeks. Dude was a bus driver and idk how he was still able to drive cuz he would totally blank out doing normal activities like walking/talking, almost anything.. It was straight trippin me out cuz I didn't even realize anything wrong with him. And when he talked he'd be cool at first then all of a sudden he'd start mumbling incoherently as if he couldn't even hear himself.. But like I said, he turned out fine after treatment and I'm hoping you'll end up the same.

Praying for you brah [emoji]128591[/emoji]

this post makes me sad, youre in better spirits than i am

ive never had major medical problems

i wish the best for you, i put health over everything..................stuff like this makes problems most ppl complain about nothing

Good luck my friend, wish you the best, god is on your side whether you believe in him or not.

This right here.

You seem like a soldier OP, you'll get through whatever is thrown at you. Keep us updated, I'll pray for you

Good **** getting off the anti-depressants homie
smokin.gif

I know a dude who had some type of brain cyst and he turned out cool. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but if it's anything similar to what you have then the doc gave him some pills and he was back to normal after a few weeks. Dude was a bus driver and idk how he was still able to drive cuz he would totally blank out doing normal activities like walking/talking, almost anything.. It was straight trippin me out cuz I didn't even realize anything wrong with him. And when he talked he'd be cool at first then all of a sudden he'd start mumbling incoherently as if he couldn't even hear himself.. But like I said, he turned out fine after treatment and I'm hoping you'll end up the same.

Praying for you brah [emoji]128591[/emoji]
Yeah in his case the cyst seemed to be causing small epileptic attacks. Anti epileptic medication would fix the problem in his case.

That's what brain cysts, if malicious, normally cause and I'm hoping that's the case for me but with all these symptoms not necessarily related to epileptic attacks and possible symptoms of the cyst it's looking unlikely.

Last edited:
You are a much stronger man than most myself included to still be able to seem so composed, id be freaking the **** out...

My thoughts are with you bro...stay strong and positive

You are a much stronger man than most myself included to still be able to seem so composed, id be freaking the **** out...

My thoughts are with you bro...stay strong and positive
For now

I doubt I'll be able to keep my composure as I get closer to August 22nd and where I'll go from there.

I was like this too with my lung surgery until I was a few days away and had to be almost knocked out with Lorazepam to not lose my mind.

Last edited:
i'm praying for you my dude. we can't direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails. stay positive bro and keep us posted 

Find you a nice strain if Mary Jane that make you feel good and smoke your problems away... Literally they'll disappear..

keep strong dude, you've gone through a lot and will get through this too. hope this is finally the end of all your health problems.

Praying for you my dude.

My brother lost half of his vision in one of his eyes last month randomly and every doctor we've seen ( neurologist, optic neurologist) have no idea what caused this. It's a mystery but we're hoping it returns.

Herb has been known to cure cancer you'd be suprise, why do you REALLY think it's illegal? Think outside the box.

Jeesh sounds like you've been through the ringer homie! You aren't getting admitted for over a month tho?

Not tryin to sound funny but they obviously think you'll be around then? Good Luck with everything man. I hope the best for you

Praying for you my dude.

My brother lost half of his vision in one of his eyes last month randomly and every doctor we've seen ( neurologist, optic neurologist) have no idea what caused this. It's a mystery but we're hoping it returns.
I'm sorry to hear that man, I wish the best for your brother and hope he recovers.
Jeesh sounds like you've been through the ringer homie! You aren't getting admitted for over a month tho?

Not tryin to sound funny but they obviously think you'll be around then? Good Luck with everything man. I hope the best for you
Yeah I'll be around till then but the question is what happens after that to fix the problem... The neuropsychiatrist told me he wasn't gonna lie and that the signs pointed towards the cyst acting as a tumor in essence and some form of brain surgery is likely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom