Didn't the Portland Trailblazers learn from Micheal jordan? VOL Durant

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Hindsight my %#%.

#1 should always be best player available. You take the best guy and go from there. If you want to argue with me that Oden was better than Durant (ever in his life) than go ahead...but don't come with that tired %#% "Big men win championships, guards just score points" argument.

The Blazers could actually use KD right now. Their SF rotation is dry. Martell Webster isn cuttin' it.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

The only guy I remember campaigning Durant over Oden in the media was Bill Simmons
laugh.gif
But Simmons changed, he went full Oden after the title game, he wanted Oden on the Celts
simmons definitely was not full oden before the draft. he said he couldn't even imagine the possibilities for portland if they took durantfirst and said they should at least explore that possibility but of course they wouldn't because they had no balls...

I think Danny Ainge was going to take Durant if he had gotten the #1.

Either way, Oden lead his team to the Final Game as a freshman, and balled out against that Florida squad with 25, 12 and 4. He looked like the next greatcenter.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

And good for you CP, you're always right in regards to the teams you hate.
you know good and damn well if Portland took KD over oden AT THE TIME CP would be killing them

False. I will never get why it is you think I am some blind dumb @#$ when it comes to Portland, but I fight with dudes here EVERY DAY and backthen I was pro Durant the entire time. So was PRIME1984, we both were on the phones the minute the lottery happened. I have never once changed my opinion onthem either way.

not a chance.

Boston was dying for their next Bill Russell. Organization included.

Lottery viewing parties and all. The devastation was quite funny, but then the trades happened.
indifferent.gif

oden if he can become healthy and stay out of foul trouble, would become a damn %*%%*%! beast.
he needs to work with that guy tmac and oneal worked with in the summer. forgot his name. tim grover?

Originally Posted by Al3xis

not a chance.

Boston was dying for their next Bill Russell. Organization included.

Lottery viewing parties and all. The devastation was quite funny, but then the trades happened.
indifferent.gif

Maybe your write, but Simmons was claiming the other day, that he knows for fact Ainge was going to select Durant
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Maybe your write, but Simmons was claiming the other day, that he knows for fact Ainge was going to select Durant
eyes.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Hindsight my %#%.

#1 should always be best player available. You take the best guy and go from there.
While I agree with you...Oden was tremendous near the end of his freshman year. He really impressed a lot of people during the Buckeyes tournamentrun (w/ the exception of that Round of 16 game vs. Tennessee). Like some others have stated, he looked like he was about to transform into the next great NBAcenter, in a league that was and still is very in need of great big men.

If you have the chance to take a 7 footer with great potential, you do it.

IMO, the 2 most valuable positions in basketball are the 1 and the 5 (or nowadays the 4 spot)...get good at those two spots and you're set.

Yeah it's unfortunate that Oden has been injury prone his short career, but he was (is) the missing piece of their puzzle.

the 3/4 is the easiest position to fill.
points and center are the hardest to fill imo.
finding an consistent shooting guard is another thing though.

i think they made the right choice, it just didnt workout for them. kd came into a situation that was a good fit for him and he's played extrememly well. idont think if jd was on the blazers he plays this well

hindsight is always 20/20 but there was not one team in that draft that would of taken KD over oden. dont care what has happend you always take the big man over the small guy. most times it works just the main 2 times it didnt work Portland got burnt BAD
Exactly.

All things constant, you take the big man, ESPECIALLY in the current league and the lack of quality true centers.

No one doubted Durant's skill and potential, but people saw the next great center in Greg, and you can't pass that opportunity up.

Looking over the worst records that year, the only team that had a shot at #1 that could have taken Durant over Oden was Milwaukee. They had drafted Bogut whowas good in his own right, but who knows.

so anyone saying they would have picked KD over oden at the time, why was it?
My friend has a thing where he believes you always take a guy who can get or create his own shot. If you remember, he was the one that startedthe Blake Griffin thread and said he thought someone else shoulda been picked #1. He got ROASTED in that thread, but his point was entirely accurate. And yousee guys like Jennings and Evans and even Curry having solid seasons. (Not that Blake won't be good once he returns) His argument was a little flawed,but that's basically what he wants, a guy that can move with the ball on his own, not have to be spoon fed. Of course, a guy like Shaq or Duncan would bethe exception.

Bowie 2.0 was trademarked in what thread? The Lottery thread correct? There were all kinds of folk sayin Durant should go 1 and Oden would be an injuryconcern, it was HAMMERED home once it was found out that Portland had the pick. If it was Seattle, nobody was gonna make the Bowie comparison obviously. Durant was a difference maker, Oden to me was Pryz with more upside. That's it. Having Durant, Roy and LA woulda been disgusting, and they STILL wouldhave a 7 foot 280 pound center, just with less hops. But this whole entire state from the minute that lottery ball popped up, had only Oden in mind. As MikeRice put it, OoooooooooooDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. Those were his EXACT words.
laugh.gif
Dude was so drunk, he probably doesn't even remember. I was on the phoneinstantly laughin. I knew then what the outcome would be. On air, they started asking how many titles they would win. They came up with somewhere between 8and 11. I've explained this MANY times on here Mike. I can almost bet when Oden gets hurt for the season next year, you'll ask me to explain it allagain.

My friend has a thing where he believes you always take a guy who can get or create his own shot. If you remember, he was the one that started the Blake Griffin thread and said he thought someone else shoulda been picked #1. He got ROASTED in that thread, but his point was entirely accurate. And you see guys like Jennings and Evans and even Curry having solid seasons. (Not that Blake won't be good once he returns) His argument was a little flawed, but that's basically what he wants, a guy that can move with the ball on his own, not have to be spoon fed.
I'd like his thoughts on; Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, Allen Iverson, Gilbert Arenas..among others.

It's more than a little flawed, that's just bad logic and is leaving out huge parts of the game of basketball.

It's easy to point out the success of Tyrke and BJ early on, big men come along at a slower pace. If in 5 years we're all on here bashing this younggroup of scoring guards cause they're locked into huge contracts aren't winning big, I won't be surprised.

laugh.gif
Well, he is more along the lines of looking at guys like Rondo orParker who get drafted low and have better careers then half the people drafted in front of them.

I think that was why his thread got dismantled, he was trying to make a point about players who get drafted into a perfect situation, become great, and we havecountless #1 picks who do nothing. Bargnani goes #1, but Roy at 7 becomes an elite player. Bogut goes #1, Chris Paul is elite of elite. Something sort oflike that.

Maybe had Roy and CP3 been #1 picks, they might not have had the careers they started out with, I don't know. But he basically perfers guys who can handleand shoot and get to the bucket on their own, not stand there with there back to the basket and then not know what to do with it. Oden.

Me personally, I don't beleive that you HAVE to go big man anymore. I know back in the day it was all about draft a center, but with the rule changes andwhat not, I'm lookin out at the perimeter type players. Who are the best in the game right now? Kobe, Bron, Wade, Melo, Durant, CP3. Dirk and KG are 7footers, who play like Small Forwards. The days of drafting Duncan's and Shaq's are long gone in my eyes. Even second tier guys are Roy, D Williams,Granger, PP, and so on and so on.

Fast paced game, hand check rules, the 7 footers just can't run up and down the floor anymore. See Yao, see Oden. 7 footers like KG and Dirk that arelighter and do less banging inside, seem to be better fits for the game today. Bynum is another guy that has had both knees taken out for long stretches. Soto me, give me the guy on the wing that I can put the ball in his hands at the end of the game, and let him do work. D12 is wonderful, can you give him theball at the end of the game? No. They went and got VC for that, they'll have Jameer for that. Last year it was Turk for that. *shrugs* I just thinkthe Shaq/Duncan days are over. 7 footers that get over 260 pounds or so are at risk.

Originally Posted by CP1708

so anyone saying they would have picked KD over oden at the time, why was it?
My friend has a thing where he believes you always take a guy who can get or create his own shot. If you remember, he was the one that started the Blake Griffin thread and said he thought someone else shoulda been picked #1. He got ROASTED in that thread, but his point was entirely accurate. And you see guys like Jennings and Evans and even Curry having solid seasons. (Not that Blake won't be good once he returns) His argument was a little flawed, but that's basically what he wants, a guy that can move with the ball on his own, not have to be spoon fed. Of course, a guy like Shaq or Duncan would be the exception.

Bowie 2.0 was trademarked in what thread? The Lottery thread correct? There were all kinds of folk sayin Durant should go 1 and Oden would be an injury concern, it was HAMMERED home once it was found out that Portland had the pick. If it was Seattle, nobody was gonna make the Bowie comparison obviously. Durant was a difference maker, Oden to me was Pryz with more upside. That's it. Having Durant, Roy and LA woulda been disgusting, and they STILL would have a 7 foot 280 pound center, just with less hops. But this whole entire state from the minute that lottery ball popped up, had only Oden in mind. As Mike Rice put it, OoooooooooooDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN. Those were his EXACT words.
laugh.gif
Dude was so drunk, he probably doesn't even remember. I was on the phone instantly laughin. I knew then what the outcome would be. On air, they started asking how many titles they would win. They came up with somewhere between 8 and 11. I've explained this MANY times on here Mike. I can almost bet when Oden gets hurt for the season next year, you'll ask me to explain it all again.

now that is just OD stupid

While I understand what you are saying, the league's rules have definitely made it easier for G's to control the game, size still does win. Look atD12, dude would get smacked by any of theelite 90s center's, Ewing Robinson, Shaw, Dream but because there is no one who even remotley possesses his sizeand athleticism he will dominate the next decade. Big men can effect the floor on both ends, something guards can't really do to the extent that big mencan. If I have the option between an elite guard and an elite big man, I am taking the elite big man every time.

Back
Top Bottom