[Discussion] Downsizing/Minimizing Sneaker Collection or Quitting Collecting - WITH TIPS/RESOURCES

Thanks, but the issue i have is, I REALLY don't want some eBay hack handling a pair of OG shoes that can possibly get damaged. For example, I have an OG pair of Foamposite Max. The Duncan shoe. I don't recall ever wearing them. If I did, maybe 1 or 2 times tops. No box, but in great shape for someone who just wants them in their collection, once they get them sealed up in plastic wrap. There is NO WAY IN HELL I want those morons handling them as I would ship them, each shoe wrapped in bubble wrap to keep them from banging around inside a plastic shoe box. That's why I don't want them authenticated. Same with some other late 90s shoes I got. 👍
Not the person you were replying to but I feel you. By the same token there are some straight up looney bin people out here who will just lie to lie and that do all manner of shady stuff. It doesn't even make sense to me but I've seen it happen so many times I finally had to concede there are just people with mental health issues or who have worked it out in their heads just how whatever screwed up thing they're doing is actually justified in their eyes.

Awesome of you to put that love and care into the packaging and fantastic for you if you haven't run across a crazy scammer. I hope that trend continues.

Is there a reason why folks aren't using the NikeTalk classified section?

I wish there was an alert or that if someone posted a shoe for sale in classified, it got prioritized as a "similar thread" and appeared at the bottom of that shoe's thread. Like if someone wanted to sell some Zoom Generations, they put it in classifieds and then as you're reading the comments of a thread and get to the bottom of the page, that newest listing pops up. Cause I don't go in there at all, because the chances of like, the specific shoe in my specific size is in there, is next to none. Hell I can't even find my shoes online half the time. But I go into the threads to talk about the shoe, as a lot of folks do.

Can I ask, is this something that could be done, Methodical Management Methodical Management ?

I wish there was an alert or that if someone posted a shoe for sale in classified, it got prioritized as a "similar thread" and appeared at the bottom of that shoe's thread. Like if someone wanted to sell some Zoom Generations, they put it in classifieds and then as you're reading the comments of a thread and get to the bottom of the page, that newest listing pops up. Cause I don't go in there at all, because the chances of like, the specific shoe in my specific size is in there, is next to none. Hell I can't even find my shoes online half the time. But I go into the threads to talk about the shoe, as a lot of folks do.

Can I ask, is this something that could be done, Methodical Management Methodical Management ?

Unfortunately, we don't have any direct control over the logic (or lack thereof) driving the "similar threads" feature. That's handled by our third party forum software.

We could potentially create a supplement or replacement for the existing "similar threads" feature built around search tags, but that has its own challenges. When users are in control of search tags, the tags aren't standardized and are often used inappropriately, so the feature becomes more of a hindrance than a help. If users aren't in control of the search tags, then that creates an enormous additional burden on the moderation team to either manually tag every single thread or correct automated tagging.

A tag schema for the classifieds would require maintaining tags not only for each size and brand, but even individual models and colorways. For an Air Zoom Generation, you might need #Nike #Basketball #LeBron #AirZoomGeneration #Retro #2023 #M11.5/W13 #VarsityRed.

If you design something that will populate a list of threads containing common search tags, not all of those tags are equally relevant, and you don't want to slow load times down by asking the system to search through thousands and thousands of different threads on every page load for related posts. There's no easy fix for this.

Unfortunately, we don't have any direct control over the logic (or lack thereof) driving the "similar threads" feature. That's handled by our third party forum software.

We could potentially create a supplement or replacement for the existing "similar threads" feature built around search tags, but that has its own challenges. When users are in control of search tags, the tags aren't standardized and are often used inappropriately, so the feature becomes more of a hindrance than a help. If users aren't in control of the search tags, then that creates an enormous additional burden on the moderation team to either manually tag every single thread or correct automated tagging.

A tag schema for the classifieds would require maintaining tags not only for each size and brand, but even individual models and colorways. For an Air Zoom Generation, you might need #Nike #Basketball #LeBron #AirZoomGeneration #Retro #2023 #M11.5/W13 #VarsityRed.

If you design something that will populate a list of threads containing common search tags, not all of those tags are equally relevant, and you don't want to slow load times down by asking the system to search through thousands and thousands of different threads on every page load for related posts. There's no easy fix for this.
Good to know! Thanks for the information and the consideration. Appreciate it.

Not the person you were replying to but I feel you. By the same token there are some straight up looney bin people out here who will just lie to lie and that do all manner of shady stuff. It doesn't even make sense to me but I've seen it happen so many times I finally had to concede there are just people with mental health issues or who have worked it out in their heads just how whatever screwed up thing they're doing is actually justified in their eyes.

Awesome of you to put that love and care into the packaging and fantastic for you if you haven't run across a crazy scammer. I hope that trend continues.

I really appreciate the kind words buddy. While I haven't sold any shoes on eBay yet, I feel it's the only way to sell the remaining pairs I have left. Believe me, I fear getting scammed by someone, I really do. I'm gonna take as many pics as I can, and state in the auction, in bold letters, "wear at your own risk. Shoes are xx years old and I cannot guarantee they will hold up". I feel that if someone really wants to scam for a small amount, if I have all the proof, I "should" be okay.

I just sold a NOS Jordan/Pippen/Rodman "No Bull" Nike poster (the 6' long one). Still wrapped up. Sold it for $150 plus shipping. Buyer was great. Gonna put a NOS original Jordan Wings poster on eBay tomorrow that too is still in it's original plastic. Hopefully another smooth transaction. The shoes? We'll find out. I'll try one pair to see how it goes.

When I sold my 135 pairs. A few months later, I contacted the buyer to see if he was interested in a pair of retro Hare VIIs and a pair of 04 Flint 12s. We made a deal, and I bubble wrapped each shoe and put back in their original boxes. Shoes arrived in pristine condition and he appreciated the extra mile. I'll always do that as I'm thankful someone wants my stuff. 👍👍

Is there a reason why folks aren't using the NikeTalk classified section?

I think part of it was because the transaction needed an invoice for buyer protection, but that also went towards the tax limit and once the $$$ is reached ($600) taxes have to be paid. Just a guess though.

$50+ per used shoe isnt bad at all. I was able to move 30+ used pairs on goat ranging from $75-175. But now i also have 30+ pairs on there priced at $25 each. Getting $750 plus freeing up space us a big win for me

I’ll have to go back and read through this thread, but after my recent Air Max iDs came in I really started to feel like I have too many shoes I won’t even get to wear and why do I need to have so many at this point. They’re nice to look at, some pairs I truly like, but I don’t even go out a lot to justify over 130 pairs at this point. I know it will be hard to part with some things, though.

I’ll have to go back and read through this thread, but after my recent Air Max iDs came in I really started to feel like I have too many shoes I won’t even get to wear and why do I need to have so many at this point. They’re nice to look at, some pairs I truly like, but I don’t even go out a lot to justify over 130 pairs at this point. I know it will be hard to part with some things, though.
I felt like that and have felt that with a few pairs I bought recently, buyers remorse. I'm a regular in the AM 1 thread too and I love a lot of those ID's including some of the ones you made too, but I'm like you, it's hard to watch from a far, but I know I'll feel bad about the purchase and they'll sit and I might even wear them because I'll already be on the next new colorway or model. But we always have the same beaters that we don't even hesitate to wear because they're "broken in" or passed the worn only once stage.

I feel u and this is why I started dumping off certain pairs plus when I'm off I'm in crocs and at work in the lebron 15 . I'm just going for certain OG colorways and models

Maybe worth a full watch, but if not, just skip ahead to the 9:10 mark since that's the main point to showcase and works as another source of motivation. We're not above it since we've all fallen into this trap one way or another, but the great thing is that moving forward, we know what's up.

Last edited:

Trust me, the feeling of parting with some of your pairs is only a temporary feeling. There were plenty of pairs I would have loved to keep when I sold my 135 pairs at once. I looked at a select few that I decided to keep and did just that.

Huarache Trainer 94, Carnivore, and after he arrived to take them all, I asked to keep the Reebok Pump Blacktop Battlegrounds. The Sinbad shoe from the commercial. The only time they retroed and I couldn't part with those. He was cool with it. But all the others...meh. some days I have a teeny feeling of regret on a certain pair, but it disappears quickly. Especially when I see all the space I got now in my garage. 👍

I could definitely use some better self control and discipline when it comes to shoe purchases and overall spending habits in general I believe.

As I said, I already have so many shoes, so I should learn to be more grateful with what I have than always chasing the next purchase. Or the hottest thing.

Last edited:
Nike tried to get me with the 20% off of the Sabrina 1 ID, but then I had to realize I was only copping because they look like the Kobe models I missed out on (I was retro idiot back then).

Same thing with the 21s and Ja 1s. Nice shoes, but not going to get me off nostalgia. I got debts to pay.

Been selling used shoes on eBay over the past couple years. Mainly stuff that doesn’t have much life left, which really sucks for me being that most of the stuff is close to new condition. Hopefully the people that buy get some use out of it.

It gets frustrating knowing that I have pairs close to 15+ years old, that I’ve only worn maybe 4-5 times, knowing their on the cusp of crumpling, or separating. I try to keep track of what I’ve worn through the years, to help me not forget what I have (have a photo album on my phone), and it takes me roughly 3 years to get through most of my pairs. Most cases I get to wear a pair or two a week.

My biggest issue is, I sell stuff, then buy more. At least at this point in the year, I’ve purchased 28 pairs, and sold 36. I guess that’s some type of progress. I need to be more willing to off low value pairs for the low, like some of y’all have mentioned.

I remember it used to be a badge of honor to have hundreds of pairs, now it’s just a hassle.

I think that's the fundamental motivating factor for not keeping them all; they DO NOT LAST. They crumble and become worthless to most people. Only very special and rare ones will hold value to specific collectors. Then, of course, with so many retros coming out, and they tend to be better shape/quality over time, the previous ones, even the wearable ones, become worthless.

There's just no point in owning these things if we're not going to wear and enjoy them. They're not assets, and do NOT hold their value in the long run.

I want to echo what's already been said in recent posts: realizing that all of our shoes have an expiration date definitely helps curb the collection and keep it to a more reasonable amount. Shoes actually last much longer and are less likely to crumble if they are actually worn!

Another thing that has helped me curb my collection is delving into the psychology behind why I keep chasing the high of buying new kicks. I realized that my desire to impulse-purchase sneakers has less to do with the shoes themselves and more to do with the dopamine rush that comes from the very act of purchasing it. But, we all know what happens when we get the new pair: we take the shoes out of the box, admire it for a few minutes, put the shoes away and then add them to the pile of sneakers we'll hardly get around to wearing. There is a high that I'm chasing - why is that? And how can I replace that addiction with something that won't drain my bank account and take up an enormous amount of space? The worst feeling in the world is realizing that a shoe brand has control over you - that's when you know you gotta break free from the Matrix, lol.

I feel like I have toned it down with the purchases lately... and truly just buy what I like instead of impulse buying because it's on sale...but still the accumulation of shoes since I started collecting in 2000 has added up... and while I like all my shoes and try to wear them I don't go out much and the shoes that are still new I just haven't found a special occasion or outfit to wear them... and of course the common reason to sell I am running out of room really...

I want to echo what's already been said in recent posts: realizing that all of our shoes have an expiration date definitely helps curb the collection and keep it to a more reasonable amount. Shoes actually last much longer and are less likely to crumble if they are actually worn!

Another thing that has helped me curb my collection is delving into the psychology behind why I keep chasing the high of buying new kicks. I realized that my desire to impulse-purchase sneakers has less to do with the shoes themselves and more to do with the dopamine rush that comes from the very act of purchasing it. But, we all know what happens when we get the new pair: we take the shoes out of the box, admire it for a few minutes, put the shoes away and then add them to the pile of sneakers we'll hardly get around to wearing. There is a high that I'm chasing - why is that? And how can I replace that addiction with something that won't drain my bank account and take up an enormous amount of space? The worst feeling in the world is realizing that a shoe brand has control over you - that's when you know you gotta break free from the Matrix, lol.
Very well put that Got'em or that order confirmation number is definitely an addiction

i will not pay for any more shoes for awhile..

giphy.gif

My other hobby, is one that will never kill your bank account. Being in a "car guy" since I was little, I have amassed a pretty cool collection of Hot wheels and Matchbox cars that I have. I'm not the collector who goes for those "Treasure Hunt" cars and those rare pieces. I just go for the real cars that I like. All the exotics, sports cars, muscke cars. I plan to put them on my wall in the garage in cases. And best of all, even in today's world with inflation what it is, a HW car still costs a little over $1. Can't go wrong with that. And it's fun trying to find the ones I want (currently trying to find the Bugatti Bolide and the McLaren Solus GT).

There is a high that I'm chasing - why is that? ... The worst feeling in the world is realizing that a shoe brand has control over you - that's when you know you gotta break free from the Matrix, lol.

That's the sad part. A lot of folks don't even realize this too, or they ignore it.

Other than (or maybe part of) the FOMO marketing, part of it comes from what I recently learned called "parasocial relationships." A lot of storytelling done ESPECIALLY by Nike/Jordan is to utilize the emotional/relational factors where brands humanize themselves and make people (us consumers) believe that buying their product will make you feel relatable to the brands' signed athletes and/or to all other sneaker enthusiasts. Think about those collabs we always see or the influencers all over social media or in the celebrity world who would put those products on the map. They add that value to the item and if people like them a lot, people will want what they have. That would then point to the ultimate answer to the question "why are we doing this?" Answer: to fit in, one way or another. The more we relate to one another, the more we all get along and build a relationship off that way, right?

Just for myself personally over the last month and a half, I've learned to just appreciate shoes from a distance say "hey I like those" or I can discuss about 'em and just keep it at that. Unless I really like them and have given it some time to consider, I'm not gonna go get them because I'm just happy that I kinda get to be in the know about some news and can talk about it with other folks who are into shoes, too.

For that high-chasing thing, I recently started asking myself "what's gonna happen after I get this next shoe I've been looking at?" I realize that it'll just do nothing but restart the cycle all over again, which is that vicious cycle everyone talks about. What I used to do was buy that shoe to satisfy that dopamine and then believe that "it's my last pick-up..." **** never works. Now I do my best to let the dopamine ride out or just turn around and change my mind on planning to pick up that next shoe. Satisfying that dopamine doesn't help because it's still a full cycle. Breaking it while in the middle of it is a snapping of that habit. It really is a "now or never" type of thing. Keep in mind that's just one of many motivating factors.

Last edited:
That high is definitely deceptive. I've had strong buyers remorse or even after finally copping a shoe that I've been longing for, realizing that it didn't even make or break my life. "Having that shoe ain't everything, but not having it is" mentality, which I think we've all been weak to.

The same for my other hobby of collecting games. I didn't game seriously for about 8-9 years, but then got back into it in 2018 and built a massive backlog. I've made a promise to myself to not buy anymore shoes or games until all my debts are paid. I have enough shoes to only wear each shoe 2-3 times a year.

Back
Top Bottom