Display Your Taste In Music Vol. We're Going Beyond Hip-Hop

tony plush

Banned
Before I showcase my musical taste, I wanna say a few things...

-I was born in 1991, so I wasn't around or was very young when a lot of quality music was being released (I was 4 when Reasonable Doubt came out).
-As a kid, the radio was the only way music was accessible. I would occasionally get an album (My mom purchased Bow Wow's debut album for me :pimp: :pimp: [Urban Legend, The Massacre]), but I would only listen to the singles or tracks with a "bouncy" beat. Never the deep cuts.
-Back in the day, Nas' I Am... got HEAVY play in my mom's ride. I used to beg my mom to turn on the radio. :lol: Forced to listen to it, I became fond to a couple joints (Favor For A Favor, You Won't See Me Tonight, etc.) Later in life, I naturally used this album to familiarize myself with Nas.
-My appreciation and love for the art of music wasn't sparked until 2009. My cousin received a used Xbox 360 for Christmas; it came with a hard drive. On this hard drive was an album that was not labeled. It was The College Dropout. Nothing was the same after this.
Listening to this album was life-changing. The lyrics, the beats, the subject matter. I was blown away.
You guys should've seen my reaction to...
"Killin y'all ****** on that lyrical ****
Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips"
The world ended at that moment.
When I got home, I immediately copped CD & LR off iTunes.
Cool stories bro.

Anyways, here's some of the music in my iTunes.
View media item 1308421Props if you're hip to:
Cream City, Troupeau Bleu, Love Us Or Hate Us, & ***, Gas, Or Cash (No One Rides For Free)

View media item 1308422Purchased these on Black Friday. The Weeknd and Daft Punk albums I had already heard before.

View media item 1308426Purchased these last Friday. Out of these albums, I only heard Discovery, FHD, ATLiens, & Thriller before.
Also, Purple Rain came in the mail yesterday. :pimp:

I truly enjoy listening to music. It's an event that I will partake in until I'm dead; it's good for the soul.
A person should not limit themselves to one specific genre of music. People of this ilk are not fans of music and they are not trustworthy. :stoneface:

Come at me and my musical prowess.

Sidenote:
I hope I'm not coming off as a music elitist; I'm still early in the game.
For what it's worth, I've only listened to one Pac album. :nerd:

A lot of us on here have eclectic tastes in music, no need to start a whole thread. Just explore the other non-hip hop threads to get your fix in diverse music. For what it's worth, it's refreshing to see more people (especially younger folks) who listen to more than just what radio / TV chooses for them to hear.

Black Keys are that deal. Saw them live for the second time last night. They straight killed it. My gf (never heard them before) was blown away by the show.

Here's some of my non hip-hop stuff. I listen to rap 90% of the time, but I really like folk, rock, jam, r&b, etc as well. Lots of Bob Dylan, Grateful Dead, The Doors, Zeppelin, some Allman Bro's, Hendrix, Bowie, Tom Waits, etc.

A lot of us on here have eclectic tastes in music, no need to start a whole thread.
I make an appreciation thread for one of the greatest albums to release this decade, and it garners only 4 replies. :smh:
http://niketalk.com/t/612596/random-access-memories-appreciation-post#post_22057522
Had this thread been about a hip-hop album, more people would've replied.

I make a thread about a topic that has been beaten to death thrice... everyone and their mama has an opinion. :smh:
http://niketalk.com/t/610995/jay-z-or-nas-vol-complex

Whatever tho. I'll just utilize this thread as the platform where I flex my musical superiority. Not srs but srs.

Chopper Chopper
I see you're hip to that Sgt. Pepper's... :pimp: :pimp:

I've been using this list to familiarize myself with the classics before my time.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531

you can't force anything. if not enough people like it then that/'s just what it is.

also it's sneaker forum. sneakers and hip-hop culture are tied together on

many levels so it's just never gonna happen. but i do appreciate the thread and will share in a sec

You should go through the Indie and R&B/Soul/Neo-Soul thread when you get the chance....you'll definitely find something you like in there.

I make an appreciation thread for one of the greatest albums to release this decade, and it garners only 4 replies. :smh:
http://niketalk.com/t/612596/random-access-memories-appreciation-post#post_22057522
Had this thread been about a hip-hop album, more people would've replied.

I make a thread about a topic that has been beaten to death thrice... everyone and their mama has an opinion. :smh:
http://niketalk.com/t/610995/jay-z-or-nas-vol-complex

Whatever tho. I'll just utilize this thread as the platform where I flex my musical superiority. Not srs but srs.

Don't be a music snob man, leave that to pitchfork. I already gave you daps for listening to more than just top 40 but you don't need to parade your musical tastes around. I fancy myself an avid music listener but RAM doesn't come close to album of the decade. Musical tastes are all subjective.

But if Daft Punk is in your top, give SBTRKT or Chromeo a listen.

Can't be mad OP....this is NT after all. Asking about diverse musical tastes here is like trying to talk hip hop at a Klan rally.

A lot of us on here have eclectic tastes in music, no need to start a whole thread. Just explore the other non-hip hop threads to get your fix in diverse music. For what it's worth, it's refreshing to see more people (especially younger folks) who listen to more than just what radio / TV chooses for them to hear.
Co-sign

radiohead

rage against the machine

afi ( pre mainstream) 

sublime 

nirvana

the smiths/morrissey

mana

incubus

deftones

metallica

MS MR - Hurricane
Last Lynx - Killing Switch
Nature - To My Advantage
Can - Vitamin C
Elvis - Blue Christmas
Sky Ferreira - Everything is Embarassing
Eddo Starr - Lambo Truck
Spanky WIlson - Hurtin
Wolf Alice - White Leather
Trinikas - Remember Me
Clipse - Hello New World
Lorn - OXBOW B
Duran Duran - Ordinary World
GC Cameron - Don't You Want To Give It Up

All played today...but no one really cares about this OP :lol:

Last edited:
I see you with that crazy sexy cool album op... :smokin

My range of music goes from vengaboys, Michael McDonald, lucky dube to WC.
Lately I've been on my native tongan faikava roots music. :smokin

^^ listen to Rubber Factory too. If you're getting more into rock, also check out these albums:

Green Day - Dookie
Green Day - Insomnia
The Strokes - Is This It
The Strokes - Room on Fire

Pretentious thread in the making -- waiting for people to post bands they have never heard of in order to sound cool lol. You sound young OP, good for you that you're discovering new music.

My advice is to use those Rolling Stones, Pitchfork, etc. lists to guide your discovery in music but not let it guide your opinion of what is good and what is not. I remember I used to hold so much in reviews now they literally mean nothing to me. If you like it, you like it, end of story.

Disagree. A lot of what I and others like won't manage to keep a thread open so I think this thread has a purpose.

This thread could be fun. 

I've always had music be a part of my life (played piano for 10+ yrs as a kid, self taught guitar, etc) and I can distinctly remember my first CD being 'Master of Puppets'.

Went through my NYHC phase as a mid-teen and that was pretty much all I listened to for a year or so after I started hanging out with Freddy Madball. EDM has also been a constant for me in the past ~15 years. 

SO, I am indeed all over the place. Jazz, soul, funk, hiphhop, dub, EDM, metal.

Back
Top Bottom