DMV debate -- Head to Head -- "Thug Luv" v. "Notorious Thugs" -- Who wins now, in 2010?

Figure to get the firecrackers lit up in here.  We ain't shot off (pause) in a while...
My take:
I was around for both live in the flesh, late high school days.

Impact = BIG wins. 
When I first heard "Notorious Thugs," it was a bootleg Whoo Kid had that was dragging like playing a 45' record on a 33', and it blew me away.  B.I.G showing the ability to focus and keep up with Bone (who were right at the top at the time as well) was just some
eek.gif
 s'it.  Glad I was alive and old enough to fully enjoy it at that time.  You ain't seen a line until you were at Circuit City trying to cop B.I.G. double CD.

Retaliation = Pac wins. 
The one who always responds always has the upper hand.  But, for 'Pac to say, "F'y'all style!  We gonna kill it, with ME being ME!  I ain't adapting or conforming to s'it" was just as
eek.gif
.  I blew my speakers in my 300ZX when this joint dropped.

My vote = Thug Luv, by split decision.  Bizzy Bone at the beginning... The production... Just a tad better to me and my taste... Then, and now.

Either way, R.I.P to the greats.

You?

Thug Luv

For every reason you pointed out

Pac didn't try or attempt to do Bones Double Time Style...(No knock to big)

He did it his way...

Production was indeed better also...

My uncle had the Landcruiser with 2 12's and and 2 1000 watt amps

When that bassline hit....

sick.gif
eek.gif
smh.gif
pimp.gif

Both are appreciated tho
pimp.gif

Notorious Thugs by far for the simple fact that Pac couldn't have done or never did what Biggie to that song.  Biggie went with Bone's style and killed that verse.  Dudes were rewinding the track several times just cause they were amazed at the way Biggie was able to keep up, that tells it all.  

I've never compared the tracks, so I've never thought about this.

It's easy to gove Pac props for doing it his way, but the reality is that he didn't have a choice. He had one style. Big on the otherhand seemed to go into recording the song as a challenge. He seemed interested in ripping Bone at what they did best- and he did.

For the sheer unexpected flow and delivery (and build up), "Notorious Thugs" blows "Thug Luv" out of the water. And the the gunshots make TL, so give credit to the producer.  recorded.

I need to refer to XXL, but I think they did a breakdown on each of these songs by talking to the artists involved and the folks that were there while it was being recorded.

Thug luv for me!!!! I still lissen to it once a week...lol ...also for the simple fact that I was always a bigger PAC fan...!!

Notorious Thugs!!!

I mean I mess with Thug Luv but BIG KILLED that joint...Till this day it is MY FAVORITE SONG!!!

Originally Posted by Scott Scotch

It's easy to gove Pac props for doing it his way, but the reality is that he didn't have a choice. He had one style.Same was said about 

I argue that you can say the same for BIG before this track.  Reason this track got the response it got.  You read the XXL on the retrospect of the album, everyone said that BIG demanded to be in the studio alone to write and practice for this joint to execute it perfectly.  While Bone, who came in high, did it on one take, and did their double voice overs/backgrounds, and left salty that BIG took their weed, lol...  And this is NO disrespect to BIG whatsoever.

Scott Scotch wrote:
And the the gunshots make TL, so give credit to the producer.  recorded.
Production is nuts on both.  However, I argue that all of Bone did a heck of a job on this track... Bizzy and Lazzie = top 3 appearances of their careers IMO.  Pac's voice not the most lyrical, but the most moving and monumental, as usual.

Ima go with Notorious Thugs cause it was different for big.

Sidenote: Am I the only person who feels like Last Day > Notorious Thugs

notorious thugs, i remember listening to life after death cd #2 every day at the school bus in middle school. ahh the memories
laugh.gif

I argue that you can say the same for BIG before this track.  Reason this track got the response it got.  You read the XXL on the retrospect of the album, everyone said that BIG demanded to be in the studio alone to write and practice for this joint to execute it perfectly.  While Bone, who came in high, did it on one take, and did their double voice overs/backgrounds, and left salty that BIG took their weed, lol...  And this is NO disrespect to BIG whatsoever.

What about Gimme the Loot? He rhymed two different ways on the same track. And even his flow on Big Poppa and One More Chance (the summer remix) are different from the more aggressive tracks on RtD.

There's also the difference in featuring on a track and it being your song. There's more pressure on you because it's on your album. I would have practiced that !+$ too. I also understand that BTNH can come in and do it on one take, cause that is what they do. I would expect it to be easy/ier for them. Plus, minus the early Jay-Z/Original Flavor stuff that most people (including myself) had never heard, Big was the first east coast dude to flip that flow.

Then Jay-Z laid a little claim to the style when Streets is Watching (the movie) dropped and he put Can't Get with That at the end. Followed by Nuh What, Nuh Who on Vol. II.

Production is nuts on both.  However, I argue that all of Bone did a heck of a job on this track... Bizzy and Lazzie = top 3 appearances of their careers IMO.  Pac's voice not the most lyrical, but the most moving and monumental, as usual. 

I don't care about BTNH enough to know if they even have a top three or best verse. For all I know, they never topped For the Love of Money. And they didn't even have the best verse on that song. lol. The only reason I even listened to either song was because of Biggie and Pac. But the most memorable thing about the TL is the gunshots. It's the first thing I think of and talk about in reference to the song.

Full disclosure, I'm not a big Pac fan either. I only liked one of his albums- Seven Day Theory. I think it was his best and most complete album.

I have listened to both these songs on repeat sooooo many times back when I use to chief on the regular..
laugh.gif

It is really almost to close to call, but I'ma go with Notorious Thugs for a few reasons..

-Verse for Verse, Big wins, and this is coming from a major Pac fan..

-The beats are almost too different to compare, and although Thug Luv is a 'harder' beat (base line is incredible!), Notorious Thugs just really puts me in another zone, from the Piano to all the other instruments I can't even identify, this instrumental alone is truly a masterpiece..

-Theres a time and place for Thug Luv, but I can bump Notorious Thugs anytime..

Side note, Bone is suppose to be dropping their first album in over a decade with all 5 original members this year, Obviously wont compare to them in their prime, but I'm really interested in hearing it, especially what Flesh has to say after being locked up for 10 years..

^I wouldn't expect you to be a Bone fan if your not a 2pac fan..

But to each his own, all their recent ++## has been wack so you maybe right..

If you haven't really dig into their catalog (group and solo), then you wouldn't know they do talk about more than just drugs and bein 'thugs'
laugh.gif

Flesh was always slept on tho, it's not gonna blow you away or anything but check out the video, he gets deeper than you would think..

I gotta give it Tough Luv solely for the fact that I have to listen to the whole track. I usually go on to the next track after Biggie's verse on Notorious Thugs.

Damn.I never even thought to compare the two.I'm gonna have to go with "Notorious Thugs" because the entire song was constructed so well!The way Stevie J had all the elements just drop in at the right time,to the layered hook......it was just perfection!Both are classics to me though.

Stevie J. After Bone Thugs went in there and ripped it, Big took it home for a minute. He was like, “I ain’t laying mine. I got to wait. This style ain’t what I’m used to.

Originally Posted by rocman23

Ima go with Notorious Thugs cause it was different for big.

Sidenote: Am I the only person who feels like Last Day > Notorious Thugs

No but Long Kiss Godnight>>

To answer the question though notorious thugs>>>>>> thug luv

^
And what you call diverse (Gimme the Loot) was nothing but a bite on Kool G. Rap and other Mofioso Rap songs that was done just a few years prior, but failed to have the "Bad Boy" exposure worldwide...

So....

Back
Top Bottom